Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

Thank you, Al_bina. The link says that Shinichiro Yamamoto, the chief of the IHA, confirmed the engagement:
The 25-year-old princess will become engaged to Kei Komuro, a 25-year-old graduate student at Tokyo's Hitotsubashi University who lives in Kohoku Ward in Yokohama, near Tokyo, and who also works at a law firm, agency chief Shinichiro Yamamoto said.

[…]

Princess Mako met Komuro about five years ago through a friend at International Christian University, which they both attended, and later accepted a marriage proposal from him, according to an agency source. Prince Akishino and his wife Princess Kiko have accepted the two as a couple, the source said.

[…]

Princess Mako enrolled at International Christian University in Tokyo in April 2010, becoming the first imperial family member to attend the university. She studied in the Faculty of Arts and majored in arts and cultural property studies. She also studied at the University of Edinburgh in Britain as an exchange student for nine months when she was a junior at ICU.

After graduation, she went on to study at the University of Leicester in Britain, where she obtained a master's degree in art museum and gallery studies in January 2016.

Currently the princess is an affiliate researcher at the University Museum of the University of Tokyo, while studying in a doctoral program at International Christian University.

She also attends ceremonies and serves as an honorary president of some events, such as the Tokyo International Book Fair, as part of her official duties.
"Kei Komuro, Princess Mako's prospective fiance, is seen in this photo from the Fujisawa municipal tourism association's website."
http://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2017/05/16/20170516p2a00m0na031000p/6.jpg?2

Princess Mako, the granddaughter of Japan's emperor, is getting married to an ocean lover who can ski, play the violin and cook, according to public broadcaster NHK TV.

[…]

Kei Komuro, the man who won the princess' heart, was a fellow student at International Christian University in Tokyo, where Mako, 25, also graduated, NHK said.

They met at a restaurant in Tokyo's Shibuya about five years ago at a party to talk about studying abroad, and they have been dating several times a month recently, it said.

Komuro has worked as "Prince of the Sea" to promote tourism to the beaches of Shonan in Kanagawa Prefecture, the report said.
Japan's Princess Mako to get married, report says: The Asahi Shimbun

Last edited:
how very exciting. can't wait to hear more.

Congratulations to Mako and Kei!

According to Sankei, there will be press conference with Kei Komuro where his office is located.
[...]

Kei Komuro, 25, who is set to be engaged to Princess Mako, 25, proposed to the princess about a year after they met in 2012 through a friend at the International Christian University where the two studied, Imperial Household Agency officials have said.

[...]

A former bank employee, Komuro has been working for a law firm in Tokyo since spring last year and also studies at Hitotsubashi University’s Graduate School of International Corporate Strategy, majoring in business law. He has not qualified as a lawyer.

His superior at the law firm said Komuro called him Tuesday night to apologize for not telling him of the engagement beforehand.

[...]

Komuro lives in Yokohama with his mother and grandfather. His father passed away when he was a child, according to his neighbors. He went to an international school until he graduated high school.

[...]

Princess Mako's fiance-to-be Komuro sociable, once Fujisawa tourism ambassador | The Japan Times

Leaving home Wednesday morning around 6am:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6pSiA4zhsU

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple :flowers:

Sad thing is under current rules, when she marries, she won't be a part of the family. She has seemed to be quite an asset in the past few years.

Mr. Komuro did not reveal much at the 10am press conference, mostly that he would answer questions at the right time. He did say he spoke to Princess Mako on the phone.

Photos: Asahi, Getty Images

Komuro said he talked to Princess Mako on the phone in the morning before leaving for his office, telling her “I’m off,” and being told “Have a good day.”
Komuro: "When the right time comes" - The Japan News

University classmate to become engaged to Princess Mako meets reporters - The Mainichi

Princess Mako's engagement plan confirmed by imperial agency: The Asahi Shimbun
[…]

“We have proceeded with a plan to announce (the engagement) at an appropriate time," Shinichiro Yamamoto, Grand Steward of the Imperial Household Agency, said of Mako's engagement on the night of May 16. "The official day of her engagement has yet to be decided.”

[…]

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko also are aware that Mako is making preparations for her engagement, the sources said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy9KJMo7hHE
Princess Mako leaving for work on Wednesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt52kpBsaRI

Another wedding! :flowers: Will be interesting. Hope there are pictures. He seems lovely. A nice couple.

The engagement announcement was the biggest news story yesterday in Japan.

Thank you for posting the videos, Prisma. If Mako accepted the marriage proposal four years ago, Akihito's actions to stir debate about female branches are understandable.

Japanese rejoice over news Princess Mako to become engaged - The Mainichi
Lawmakers also joined the chorus of congratulations, with House of Representatives Speaker Tadamori Oshima saying, "I, together with the public, would like to express my joy."
Princess Mako's fiance-to-be reluctant to talk about relationship - The Mainichi
During his 5-minute meeting with reporters from 10 a.m. in the first-floor hall of a building housing the legal firm, Komuro, a 25-year-old former classmate of Princess Mako, was all smiles, providing a glimpse into his sense of integrity.

"I am sorry for keeping you waiting so long. Thank you in advance," Komuro told reporters as he made a deep bow at the outset of the press interview.

[...]

"How did both of you contact each other, when it would have been difficult to go out on a date like commoners?" asked one reporter, while another questioned, "Did Princess Mako encourage you (prior to the press briefing)?" In response, Komuro just repeatedly said, "I'm sorry."

[...]

A host of reporters flocked to an apartment in Yokohama's Kohoku Ward where Komuro and his family live from early on May 17. At around 9:23 a.m., Komuro's mother came home by car amid heavy security presence with nine officers from Kanagawa Prefectural Police on guard in front of the apartment.

Komuro's mother, however, stopped short of answering questions from reporters and entered the building after making a deep bow.

They're a very nice couple. Can't wait for the engagement.

As the rest, I find it sad that Mako has to leave the Imperial Family after her wedding. I really liked that the new generation was very present at official functions these last years.

Congrats!
Tbh I'm not sad she has to leave, because the court is very restricting and I can imagine she wants a life on her own. But just imo.

'Isn't there any interest in changing this?' There should be actually, because if Kako also marries in the next years, the IRF is even smaller and all the pressure is on Aiko and even more later on Hisahito.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbh I'm not sad she has to leave, because the court is very restricting and I can imagine she wants a life on her own. But just imo.
You might have a point. But imagine how hard the future will be for Hisahito if he's the only member of the family left, since there are no ther males :ermm:

But she will not cease to be the daughter of the Princely and granddaughter of the Imperial Couple; the Court will be always open for her.

Of course! She will live her life like her aunt Sayako Kuroda.

You might have a point. But imagine how hard the future will be for Hisahito if he's the only member of the family left, since there are no ther males :ermm:

Yep! Oh and imagine the pressure on a wife of his to bear lots of children, esp boys.

Last edited:
He would be in the same situation as King Carl XVI Gustav, who after the marriage of his sister Christina only a few months after him ascending the throne, was one of only two members of the Royal house (his sister Birgitta von Hohenzollern was officialy a member of the Royal house but lived in Germany and had no official role in Sweden). The pressure upon him at the time still has its repercussions today over 40 years later and earlier the pressure on his mother to produce a male heir was so big its said she cried after finally giving birth to a boy after having four girls.

They're a very nice couple. Can't wait for the engagement.

As the rest, I find it sad that Mako has to leave the Imperial Family after her wedding. I really liked that the new generation was very present at official functions these last years.

Under the traditional concept of family, when a woman marries, she leaves her family to join her husband's family, as signified, even in western countries, by the wife taking up her husband's family name. The only part of Japanese tradition that stretches beyond western custom is that the bride also relinquishes her royal title upon marriage, which seems to imply that titles are linked to a family, rather than to a person.

Princess Mako and Komuro to go through series of rituals before wedding | The Japan Times

It's a shame she has to give up her royal status though.
Isn't there any interest in changing this?
'Isn't there any interest in changing this?' There should be actually, because if Kako also marries in the next years, the IRF is even smaller and all the pressure is on Aiko and even more later on Hisahito.
There is interest from the opposition party and 49-62% of Japanese. However, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has no interest at all, and what Abe desires is what will happen.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/succession-issues-4108-48.html#post1950935
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/succession-issues-4108-post1982702.html

[...] which seems to imply that titles are linked to a family, rather than to a person.

They are linked to membership of the Imperial Family by Article 5 of the Imperial House Law. Mako will lose her membership under Article 12.

Article 5. The Empress, the Grand Empress Dowager, the Empress Dowager, Shinno, the consorts of Shinno, Naishinno, O, the consorts of O, and Jo-o shall be the members of the Imperial Family.

Article 12. In case a female of the Imperial Family marries a person other than the Emperor or the members of the Imperial Family, she shall lose the status of the Imperial Family member.

The Imperial House Law - The Imperial Household Agency

Last edited:
Thanks for the links and updates!

The way news appeared in the Japanese media was not traditional. I read that the parents of the couple have yet to meet to exchange special gifts. Reacting to the news, the IHA announced Mr Komuro's solo press conference in a hurry.

Last edited:
Firstly, thank you all for the links and images surrounding this wonderful news!

I'm thrilled for another Japanese Royal Wedding. I suspect it will be a similar type of wedding as Sayako Kuroda's was unless the couple go down the traditional Shinto route.

Once an engagement date is set there will be various traditional ceremonies, such as Al_bina suggests, a special exchange of gifts between the families and Princess Mako formally telling the Emperor and Empress of her intention to marry.

Congratulations to the couple! He's quite a handsome young man.

It's interesting, my impression was always that Japanese people tend to marry late, but perhaps that's not as true as I thought. Mako and her fiance are both relatively young at 25.

It seems strange, and unfair, that the female royals are expected to conform to the rigid standards and restrictions of the Japanese court with complete dedication while they're single, only to have the institution toss them aside once they marry. They should either not play any formal role and enjoy the luxury of a completely private life right from the start, or they should be allowed to continue to participate in royal life after their marriage.

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Kei Komuro, who is set to be engaged to Princess Mako, was her university sweetheart, known by his friends and colleagues for his gentle and truthful personality, described by some as "prince-like."
A 25-year-old woman who knew him from the university described him as "very noble" and having a "prince-like personality."
Profile: Princess' fiance Komuro known as 'prince-like' univ. friend - The Mainichi
In the summer of 2010, Komuro was chosen as a “prince of the sea of Shonan-Enoshima (district)” in a contest held in Fujisawa, Kanagawa Prefecture.

It followed that he became involved in PR activities for Fujisawa city for a year. ...

One of [the four others], Genki Kashiwagi, 26, a company employee now living in Amagasaki, Hyogo Prefecture, said: “Komuro was polite and always smiling. He was the kind of man who is liked by both men and women.”

Komuro lived overseas when he was a child and is fluent in English. After returning to Japan, he studied at an international school and then advanced to International Christian University.

“He was saying that he wants to be involved in diplomacy in the future,” Kashiwagi recalled.

Friends share thoughts on Princess Mako's engagement: The Asahi Shimbun
The news seemed to have surprised some of Komuro’s acquaintances. A childhood friend said Komuro was “a fine man with an attractive smile” but she never heard him talking about romance.

A 24-year-old kindergarten teacher who once worked at a French restaurant with Komuro when they were university students described Komuro’s character as “gentle.”

“I’ve seen him walking with his mother every day to a nearby station. I’m sure he will be a good father if he has children. I want to say congratulations when I meet him,” Miki Kamitaka said.

Japanese rejoice over news of Princess Mako's planned engagement | The Japan Times
“He was like a prince. He was studying hard about Fujisawa so he could promote the city. Since he was fluent in English, he would actively talk with foreign people,” said Rina Namikawa, a Fujisawa city worker who was chosen as “queen of the sea” alongside Komuro.

During his university years, Komuro had part-time jobs at a French restaurant and a cram school, where he taught English.

“He treated everybody the same way and was popular among students,” said Yasushi Abe, 58, who heads the cram school. “He listened to the students’ worries and tried to come up with solutions with them.”

Princess Mako's fiance-to-be proposed a year after they met, officials | The Japan Times
"Prince-like, very noble, polite and always smiling, liked by both men and women, wants to be involved in diplomacy, a fine man with an attractive smile, will be a good father, like a prince, fluent in English, would actively talk with foreign people, listened to worries, tried to come up with solutions." No doubt a fantastic royal consort. ;) :whistling:

Last edited:
Do we know anything about Kei Komuros family background?

Kei Komura is said to have noble blood on the maternal side.
Thank you, thats what I was wondering about. Most Japanese royals that marry still chooses spouses from the elite, often with noble blood.

Japanese rejoice over news of Princess Mako's planned engagement | The Japan Times

Nobuo Kuroyanagi, head of the Japan Tennis Association, where Princess Mako serves as honorary patron, [said] “When Princess Mako shows up at Ariake Coliseum (in Tokyo) where tennis matches are held, I can feel a warm atmosphere developing there,” he said.

[...]

In Sapporo, Mika Ito, a 42-year-old part-time worker, said [...] As the princess will become a commoner when she marries under the Imperial House Law, Ito said, “I hope the princess will build bridges between the public and the Imperial family.”

A 50-year-old company worker in the city of Kawasaki was delighted to hear the news, but he expressed regret that the princess will lose her royal status upon her marriage even though she has been engaging enthusiastically in her official duties.

A woman in her 70s who lives near the residence of the princess and her family in Tokyo speculated that Princess Mako has chosen a dependable person for her fiance because she herself must be a dependable person. “I wish for their happiness,” she said.

[...]

A 26-year-old postgraduate student in Tokyo said Imperial household matters were something “distant” to her. But she hoped that the princess will “continue to do what she wants to do even after marriage.”

[...]

A 27-year-old company worker in the city of Osaka said Komuro must have had an “extraordinary determination” in deciding to get married to an Imperial family member.

“I wish the two will build a family that reflects our time,” he said.

happy news for mako and her partner, although sad to see her losing her imperial status. in any case, i look forward to the wedding!

Back
Top Bottom