Engagement & Marriage of Princess Mako and Kei Komuro: September 2017 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Prince Akishino really wants his daughter to get married?. If he could he would forbit it. His rank and standing within the Imperial family and the public, seem to mean everything to him. Now I am going out on a limb and say ,he would be the happiest if he would be the Emperor and not his brother. Title and being number 1,if that is everything to him, puts lots of stress on the family and it makes one bitter. I really hope I am wrong.

Mako has right to have a happy family of her own with the man she loves.

I don't think Prince Akishino really wants his daughter to get married?. If he could he would forbit it. His rank and standing within the Imperial family and the public, seem to mean everything to him. Now I am going out on a limb and say ,he would be the happiest if he would be the Emperor and not his brother. Title and being number 1,if that is everything to him, puts lots of stress on the family and it makes one bitter. I really hope I am wrong.

Real Countess, you have said that nicely. I agree with you all the way. Way, way back on this site, someone said the differences between the two brothers and animosity between them, is hard on their mother and not helping her health issues.

May I add the family of Prince Akishino does not appear to a happy one. The only smile is sometimes on his wife, his children seldom is ever smile. That is so sad.

Well it seems many people are going out of their way to make it impossible for Mako to get married.

Did I just read that the ex fiance is willing to drop the money issue and everyone else is ignoring it?

I do understand that there are things that need to be sorted out and people are worried about financial mismanagement in Mako's future (and the Dowry, law school, job and possible Kojo title etc) but it seems that almost everyone is simply throwing up more criticism and barriers until it goes away.

Some developments since Princess Mako's statement reaffirming her plan to marry.

November 17: The former fiancé says via his agent that "the financial problem (between Kayo and myself) and marriage of Mako and Kei are separate issues. I am not in a position to comment.” He feels uncomfortable that it is an obstacle to the marriage." [Jiji]

November 30: Following the release of Mako’s statement, the former fiancé is willing to end negotiations with the Komuro family without asking for a refund according to his agent. So far, no progress has been made regarding the ~4 million yen. [Jiji]

Tabloids seem to be ignoring these developments and both the government and IHA have added pressure to the situation recently.

Prisma, thank you so much for the update!

I’m puzzled by the former fiancé. He created this mess in the first place by going to the tabloids and saying he was owed money. When Kei released a statement saying they’d resolved the issue, the fiancé responded publicly that it wasn’t resolved and he still wanted to be paid. So now, after years and multiple rounds of publicly blocking Kei’s marriage with his loan-talk, the fiancé does a complete 180, says he doesn’t want to be paid back and this situation has nothing to do with Kei - when the whole reason it was connected to Kei in the first place is because of the fiancé talking about it.

I think someone must have put a lot of pressure on the former fiancé to change his story, and it was probably the same person who arranged for Kei to be followed by paparazzi every step of the way from Japan to Fordham. But who did all of that? The Imperial Household don’t seem like fans of the guy, and they probably want all the princesses to remain unmarried. Did Mako secretly hire her own PR firm? Who has money and influence who supports the couple?

Well it seems many people are going out of their way to make it impossible for Mako to get married.

Did I just read that the ex fiance is willing to drop the money issue and everyone else is ignoring it?

I do understand that there are things that need to be sorted out and people are worried about financial mismanagement in Mako's future (and the Dowry, law school, job and possible Kojo title etc) but it seems that almost everyone is simply throwing up more criticism and barriers until it goes away.
The ex-fiance's reversal means nothing as he's changed his mind before. I think until there's some legal document from the ex-fiance confirming the debt does not need to be repaid and he won't bring it up in the future, the "he said, she said" saga will continue. Honestly, I wish Mako and Kei could give up the lump-sum payment, get married, and move on. Lawyer Kei should have better financial potential than paralegal Kei although nothing is certain, especially with the negative media attention and pandemic's impact on jobs.
Prisma, thank you so much for the update!

I’m puzzled by the former fiancé. He created this mess in the first place by going to the tabloids and saying he was owed money. When Kei released a statement saying they’d resolved the issue, the fiancé responded publicly that it wasn’t resolved and he still wanted to be paid. So now, after years and multiple rounds of publicly blocking Kei’s marriage with his loan-talk, the fiancé does a complete 180, says he doesn’t want to be paid back and this situation has nothing to do with Kei - when the whole reason it was connected to Kei in the first place is because of the fiancé talking about it.

I think someone must have put a lot of pressure on the former fiancé to change his story, and it was probably the same person who arranged for Kei to be followed by paparazzi every step of the way from Japan to Fordham. But who did all of that? The Imperial Household don’t seem like fans of the guy, and they probably want all the princesses to remain unmarried. Did Mako secretly hire her own PR firm? Who has money and influence who supports the couple?
Fordham's academic calendar is online so it's easy for media anticipate Kei's appearance at orientation, etc. The Imperial Household did arrange for Mako's marriage and set dates for betrothal, Choken-no-Gi ceremony, and wedding until the financial dispute surfaced. There were also reports the temporary Akishino residence had to be adjusted quickly to make room for Mako since she was expected to be married by then.

Crown Princess Kiko is allegedly ordering the media and IHA to attack Kei Komuro so he'll give up the marriage.

On December 18th, the Imperial Household Agency refuted Shukan Shincho's articles in December 17 morning edition, titled "Move of Empress Emerita" and December 24 issue, titled "Ultimatum from Michiko to Kei Komuro and Kayo." The articles claim the Empress Emerita influenced the Grand Steward's remarks regarding Kei Komuro's accountability at the regular IHA press conference on December 10. Such reporting is untrue.

Recently, Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura reported to the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita regarding this year's supplementary budget where the Empress Emerita just listened to the report and made a statement regarding the health of the Imperial family. There is no story about Princess Mako of Akishino. As for the Grand Steward's remarks on December 10th, Nishimura expressed his own thoughts as grand steward in response to a press question. There is no fact he received instructions from the Empress Emerita or consulted with her.

The IHA has already issued rebuttals twice regarding weekly magazine coverage of Princess Mako of Akishino and Their Majesties the Emperor Emeritus and Empress Emerita have consistency refrained from making any remarks. Yet, there are various reports using the Empress Emerita. Their Majesties are deeply hurt by such news contrary to the facts. It is regrettable these actions continue as the Empress Emerita, who is 86 and had illness, is solely focused on the care of the Emperor Emeritus.

Source: IHA

If this is all true. They hide their whatever behind a little smile. Somebody sure is a super big Bully. Show one face to the public and the world, show the real one to the family. Maybe she should just distance herself, marry the man and be happy. No one needs to worry about perception. if the Monarchy is abolished? Which I really hope does not happen, but bring it up in a conversation, see how this gets across to the ones, who feel they are more important then the Pss happiness.

From Japan Times:
The public and private concerns of a princess in Japan

Katada says the lingering pandemic adds anxiety to this toxic mix. Having lost income and maybe even their livelihoods, many people look upon Komuro as a lucky stiff, and lucky stiffs always invite enmity through no fault of their own. Interestingly, Katada, at the end of her analysis, seems to share this outlook, saying that neither Komuro nor his mother has yet to address the money issue “sincerely.” And now it seems that the Imperial Household Agency is saying Komuro must publicly explain the debt situation.

In its regular Koron forum on Dec. 1, the Asahi Shimbun commissioned several writers to address Mako’s dilemma, asking the self-indicting question: Why do we even want to talk about this? Nagoya University associate professor of history Hideya Kawanishi explained Crown Prince Akishino’s upbringing, which emphasized “individual free will.” As a parent and a beneficiary of the postwar Constitution, he wants his daughter to marry whom she wants, but he also must take into account the image and authority of the imperial family. It’s a conundrum, Kawanishi says, that will continue to present itself as long as “Japan uses human beings as its symbol.” The main problem is the media, which exploits the imperial family for its own ends without ever discussing the real meaning of the imperial system.

Hmm. Well the idea of using humans as national symbols and what that means is something every monarchy has to consider. And in Japan that will also mean grappling with the fact that women can't inherit and will leave the family after marriage. Effectively leaving the dynasty in the hands of a single member.

So they IHA say Kei and his mother haven't "explained" anything sufficiently? It's been years, haven't they had meetings and discussions about this? Is it really that complicated. I know in families often there will be no proof of a gift or loan one way or the other but surely once that was established a pathway could have been suggested.

Or is anything other than a statement by Kei that he either has 4 million Yen to hand over right now with thanks and apologies or that he's breaking off the engagement and apologising for even meeting Mako in the first place going to be not good enough until they run out the clock.

The people hoping to run Kei out so Mako can meet someone worthy of her have ensured it's going to be harder for her to find someone.

Again I get that this is a very different culture and I don't have the full context but neither side is backing down and this limbo isn't doing anyone any good.

If they got married and agreed to a smaller dowry and a private life (no Kojo title) and Kei proved willing to pay back the money in instalments starting before the marriage then wouldn't the scandal subside. Because Mako isn't realising he's a low born "lucky stiff" or out for what he can get going by her pronouncements.

Princess Mako's boyfriend expresses resolve to get married - Kyodo News
The boyfriend of Princess Mako, niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, expressed his resolve to tie the knot with her in a statement released Thursday, vowing to "correct erroneous information" regarding a monetary dispute involving his mother.

[...]

The princess' boyfriend from university days, who has been studying at Fordham University's law school in New York since August 2018, said the 24-page document released via his lawyer is aimed at "making corrections as much as possible" with regard to the reports on the dispute.

"I believe some people may be feeling a sense of distrust due to my silence," he said in his second public comment on the matter.

In his first public statement issued in January 2019, Komuro admitted that his family had received financial assistance from the former fiance and pledged to "gain an understanding from him" about the situation. But his explanation failed to get much public support.

The princess' father Crown Prince Fumihito, 55, the younger brother of the emperor, said last November he approves of the couple's marriage, but urged the Komuros to make a visible effort to resolve the dispute.

In the latest document, Komuro said he believes a settlement through talks between his mother and the former fiance would be "the best choice," but efforts to bridge the gap over the problem through their negotiations between May 2019 and November 2020 "broke down."

Yasuhiko Nishimura, head of the Imperial Household Agency, said at a regular press conference Thursday that the statement was "explained very well" but that the "public will make their own assessment" when it came to gaining their understanding.

[...]
Japanese Mainichi uploaded the document which consisted of a 4-page summary and 24 page explanation in A4 size paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
:previous: more details

Komuro Kei explains financial issue | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
...Komuro says that after the media reports, the two sides had talks, but that none have been held since the man said he no longer demanded money.

Komuro says he still feels gratitude to the man for his support, and that looking back now, he thinks they relied too much on the man's good intentions...
(Update) Komuro Shows Resolve to Marry Princess Mako - Jiji English
... The statement detailed how Komuro's mother received financial aid from her former fiancé and negotiations held over the money.

In the statement, Komuro said he had kept silent about the scandal to protect the privacy of the mother's former fiancé and smooth negotiations with him...
"... the problem has not been resolved as he lost contact with the man in November last year ..."

Last edited:
Princess Mako seeks public understanding over boyfriend's trouble - Kyodo News
Princess Mako, a niece of Japanese Emperor Naruhito, has expressed hope a statement her boyfriend released the previous day to address a monetary dispute involving his mother will help gain more public understanding of his stance, her aide said Friday.

[...]

"I would appreciate if people could understand there were various circumstances (behind the dispute) by reading the document," Princess Mako was quoted as saying by an Imperial Household Agency official.

[...]
Princess Mako Seeks Understanding for Statement by Boyfriend | Nippon.com
[...] Princess Mako's comments were released through the Imperial Household Agency, according to Takaharu Kachi, grand master of the Crown Prince's Household.

Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko appear to regard the statement as showing the Komuro family's efforts to resolve the problem in a tangible way, Kachi said. [...]
Komuro explains financial issues, resolve to wed Princess Mako : The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

In the statement, Komuro disclosed detailed exchanges between his family and the former fiance over the issue. Komuro said he initially decided to remain silent about the matter because his family wanted to resolve it through discussions to protect the man’s privacy.

But Komuro said his family found it difficult to continue cordial discussions with the former fiance without denying or rebutting the man’s one-sided claims reported in weekly magazines and other media outlets.

Komuro said he decided to issue the statement after Fumihito told a news conference in November last year that the Komuro family needs to provide a “visible” response to the financial troubles to gain broader public support for the couple’s wedding intentions.

“I think he provided a very thorough explanation (in the statement),” Yasuhiko Nishimura, who heads the Imperial Household Agency, said at a news conference on April 8. “I was able to understand the facts and background behind their discussions.”
ETA: Crown Prince family's response to Komuro document | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

Kachi Takaharu is the top official in charge of the crown prince's family. He was speaking at a regular news conference on Friday. Komuro on Thursday released the document, in which he explains details of a financial issue involving his mother and her former fiance.

Kachi said Crown Prince and Princess Akishino seem to understand that Komuro has made an effort to make clear the various measures the Komuro family has taken to resolve the matter.

Kachi disclosed that Princess Mako had consultations with the Komuro family about how they should deal with the matter after media outlets reported on it, including the release of the latest document.

Kachi said he had heard that the princess's opinion was reflected in the decision by the Komuro family on how to resolve the matter. That's by talking properly with the mother's former fiance and gaining his understanding, rather than by handing him money without any dialogue.

[...]

As for postponed events for the wedding, Kachi said he believes that a decision on the timing will be explained at an appropriate time.

Last edited:
At last he's made a statement! I'm hoping this means their engagement ceremonies can now continue.

What are the views from the greater Japanese public? Are they accepting of his statement?

Is there an English version available of the 4-page summary? While I don't think I would fully understand why all of this is such a hot topic and has prevented the two from marrying for several years, it might help to get a better perspective.

Isn't Kei expected to graduate in a few months? If so, is there any chance of a wedding in the fall?

Is there an English version available of the 4-page summary? While I don't think I would fully understand why all of this is such a hot topic and has prevented the two from marrying for several years, it might help to get a better perspective.

Isn't Kei expected to graduate in a few months? If so, is there any chance of a wedding in the fall?

The reason it is a big deal is that Princess Mako is the daughter of the Crown Prince, niece of an Emperor and sister of the future emperor. Also, Princess Mako will be receiving a large lump sum payment upon her marriage. If it perceived the Komuro family are financially inept, this will be a slight on the Imperial Family

I think Kei is now doing his bar exam in NY

No chance of wedding in the fall. The IHA's FY2021 budget request did not include the lump sum payment. Maybe some news in the fall/winter about engagement rituals.

Fordham's 2021 law diploma ceremony is scheduled for May 24
https://www.fordham.edu/info/30394/school_of_law_academic_calendar

If he's ready, then the NY bar exam is July 27-28, 2021. Otherwise, the next opportunity is February 2022. Graduation probably isn't enough. He'll need to find a job as I doubt Crown Prince and Princess Akishino will let Mako marry someone unemployed.

No chance of wedding in the fall. The IHA's FY2021 budget request did not include the lump sum payment. Maybe some news in the fall/winter about engagement rituals.

Fordham's 2021 law diploma ceremony is scheduled for May 24
https://www.fordham.edu/info/30394/school_of_law_academic_calendar

If he's ready, then the NY bar exam is July 27-28, 2021. Otherwise, the next opportunity is February 2022. Graduation probably isn't enough. He'll need to find a job as I doubt Crown Prince and Princess Akishino will let Mako marry someone unemployed.

What are the chances of them moving to the US if they get married? Do you think it would be frowned upon?

I think it's possible although I'm not sure about a permanent move abroad. Yasuko Konoe (former Mikasa princess) moved to Geneva, Switzerland for 8 years for her husband's job. Takako Shimazu (former Princess Suga) lived in Washington D.C., US and Sydney, Australia for her husband's job postings as well.

Media usually leave ex-royals alone but Mako and Kei may enjoy being away for some years after the controversy surrounding their marriage.

Last edited:
I think it's possible although I'm not sure about a permanent move abroad. Yasuko Konoe (former Mikasa princess) moved to Geneva, Switzerland for 8 years for her husband's job. Takako Shimazu (former Princess Suga) lived in Washington D.C., US and Sydney, Australia for her husband's job postings as well.

Media usually leave ex-royals alone but Mako and Kei may enjoy being away for some years after the controversy surrounding their marriage.

Good to see that may be an option for them. I just hope they can now continue with the engagement and marriage ceremonies.

Baffled

I am shocked and baffled by the portrayal of Kei Komuro in this thread and very disappointed by the condescending characterization of the Japanese public, especially in this social climate. I hope readers are not relying on The Royal Forums as their main source of information on Princess Mako's engagement and will directly seek out Japanese sources.

Komuro first proposed to Princess Mako after just one year of dating while they were still undergraduate students. He was still attending graduate school when he last proposed and their (non)engagement was announced. He has no financial stability and has never committed to any form of employment long-term. He attended announcer's school to become a newscaster on his mother's ex-fiancé’s dime, then worked at MUFG Bank before quitting after less than 2 years. There have been allegations of bullying during his school years and a victim came forward. His former MUFG coworkers have also talked of his poor behavior and lack of responsibility.

Emails written by his mother to her ex-fiancé revealed that Mrs Komuro asked the ex-fiance to keep their common-law marriage a secret from the government and his co-workers, so she could continue to receive a survivor's pension. Emails have also shown her asking the ex-fiancé if she could "borrow" more money again for living expenses. A letter Mrs Komuro sent to the ex-fiancé in 2013 also proves that her son was well aware of the loan dispute despite previous claims that he was unaware of what was going on and that they owed no money. Screenshots of the emails and the letter were published in the press. The ex-fiancé not only covered Kei Komuro's announcer school tuition, but also paid for his university and foreign exchange program expenses.

After publishing that 28-page document about how he and his mother believed they did not receive a loan, Komuro is saying that he will return the money now. His planned engagement to Princess Mako was announced in 2017. Why did he not settle this matter years ago? Also, where is he getting the money?

Those are some but not all of the reasons why the Japanese public does not trust Kei Komuro. Had he proposed after he had achieved some financial stability, the public would have been far less suspicious of his intentions, but he cannot even financially support himself. Wouldn't you be concerned if your daughter or sister got engaged to someone who had to write a 28-page document to explain why he didn't think he needed to pay back and show gratitude to someone who covered his private educational expenses?

Komuro's representative has already said that he does not necessarily intend to become a lawyer, so it is premature to assume that Komuro will indeed be practicing law after Fordham.

I am shocked and baffled by the portrayal of Kei Komuro in this thread and very disappointed by the condescending characterization of the Japanese public, especially in this social climate. I hope readers are not relying on The Royal Forums as their main source of information on Princess Mako's engagement and will directly seek out Japanese sources.

Komuro first proposed to Princess Mako after just one year of dating while they were still undergraduate students. He was still attending graduate school when he last proposed and their (non)engagement was announced. He has no financial stability and has never committed to any form of employment long-term. He attended announcer's school to become a newscaster on his mother's ex-fiancé’s dime, then worked at MUFG Bank before quitting after less than 2 years. There have been allegations of bullying during his school years and a victim came forward. His former MUFG coworkers have also talked of his poor behavior and lack of responsibility.

Emails written by his mother to her ex-fiancé revealed that Mrs Komuro asked the ex-fiance to keep their common-law marriage a secret from the government and his co-workers, so she could continue to receive a survivor's pension. Emails have also shown her asking the ex-fiancé if she could "borrow" more money again for living expenses. A letter Mrs Komuro sent to the ex-fiancé in 2013 also proves that her son was well aware of the loan dispute despite previous claims that he was unaware of what was going on and that they owed no money. Screenshots of the emails and the letter were published in the press. The ex-fiancé not only covered Kei Komuro's announcer school tuition, but also paid for his university and foreign exchange program expenses.

After publishing that 28-page document about how he and his mother believed they did not receive a loan, Komuro is saying that he will return the money now. His planned engagement to Princess Mako was announced in 2017. Why did he not settle this matter years ago? Also, where is he getting the money?

Those are some but not all of the reasons why the Japanese public does not trust Kei Komuro. Had he proposed after he had achieved some financial stability, the public would have been far less suspicious of his intentions, but he cannot even financially support himself. Wouldn't you be concerned if your daughter or sister got engaged to someone who had to write a 28-page document to explain why he didn't think he needed to pay back and show gratitude to someone who covered his private educational expenses?

Komuro's representative has already said that he does not necessarily intend to become a lawyer, so it is premature to assume that Komuro will indeed be practicing law after Fordham.

Thank you for your reply kikunohana and welcome to The Royal Forums! Like many of us here, we are not from Japan nor do we have a strong grasp of the Japanese culture. Your reply highlighted many things I didn't know about Kei Komuro and his family.

Please do keep on contributing as many of us are quite fascinated by this engagement

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your contribution!

With respect, however, I consider this thread to have been more balanced than you portray it to be. With the exception of the bullying and work behavior allegations (which are interesting, and please feel free to add further information about it or any of the other topics), the essentials of all of the other points and arguments you mentioned in your post have been reported on and discussed within this thread (and for those of us who do not read Japanese, Prisma has done a good job of summarizing a variety of reports and commentary, including linking to the unedited text of statements). Both supporters and critics of Kei Komuro have expressed their views in the debate.

I fully agree with you on the importance of not condescendingly characterizing the Japanese public. However, for that very same purpose, one should be cautious about overgeneralization, as there is a diversity of opinions among the Japanese public, as there is in any country. As can been seen from the articles which were posted here, some members of the Japanese public do not trust Kei Komuro and believe he should not be permitted to marry Princess Mako, some do not trust him but believe the couple should be permitted to choose their own spouses, some pity him, some applaud him, and some are indifferent.

Last edited:
Thank you and welcome kikunohana! :flowers:

Those are serious allegations and it's understandable the Japanese public would be wary. Which media are reporting the Komuros troubling behavior? I usually avoid what appears to be gossip magazines due to lack of time/energy. I'm not sure what's truly rumor or not. The bigger news sites like Sankei and Asahi only seem to mention the debt. The Royal Forums is mostly limited English version of Japanese press or Google translations. Your input is very much appreciated and welcome.

What's the path forward since Mako and Kei simply aren't breaking up?

Would it be possible for them to marry by giving up the lump sum and Mako leaving Imperial status per Chapter 2, Article 11 of the Imperial House Law? (Although no one has actually left that way...)

https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-kunaicho/hourei-01.html

Those are serious allegations and it's understandable the Japanese public would be wary. Which media are reporting the Komuros troubling behavior? I usually avoid what appears to be gossip magazines due to lack of time/energy. I'm not sure what's truly rumor or not. The bigger news sites like Sankei and Asahi only seem to mention the debt. The Royal Forums is mostly limited English version of Japanese press or Google translations. Your input is very much appreciated and welcome.

Your post leads me to wonder how much the level of wariness might vary between members of the public who read only the serious press (I suspect most foreign royal watchers, myself included, are in this category) compared to those who also read gossip magazines (I know that in many cases the gossip magazines have been more reliable sources on the imperial family than the serious press) and/or rumors on social media.

As kikunohana mentioned about Kei Komuro settling with the ex-fiance which he also mentioned in the statement as the "best choice" ... the never ending saga continues.

Komuro mulls paying mother’s former fiance to settle dispute : The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

Both Komuro’s family and the former fiance share the view that the man provided more than 4 million yen ($36,500) mainly as living expenses to the family during the period he was engaged to Komuro's mother, Kayo.

But the two sides remain divided over whether the money was a loan or financial support.

[...]

But Komuro revealed in the statement that the discussions came to a standstill when they were searching for common ground and that the two sides have not discussed the matter since November last year.

Although Komuro says he is mulling paying the man, the former fiance is no longer asking for the money back and has no plan to change his mind about it, the weekly magazine reporter told The Asahi Shimbun on April 10.

[...]

Komuro’s lawyer said his client decided to pay the former fiance as a next step to move the issue forward partly due to a deadlock in their discussions. Komuro is considering giving the man the same amount his family had received from him during the engagement period, the lawyer added.

Kayo became engaged with the man in 2010, but he broke off the relationship two years later.

According to Komuro’s statement, the former fiance offered to fully support Komuro’s family, including financial assistance, and Kayo repeatedly asked the man if he was sure there was no problem providing her money after she accepted it.

When their relationship ended in 2012, Kayo told the man that she would repay the funds she received while they were engaged, but the man said he had “no intention to accept it back,” the statement said.

Komuro also noted in the statement that he has an audio recording of the man’s remarks.

But the former fiance told The Asahi Shimbun in 2018 that it was Kayo who asked for financial assistance and that she presented him with the specific amount she wanted to receive.

“I’ve never said I gave her the money,” the man said. “I intended it as a loan.”
Komuro reportedly suggests monetary settlement | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

His lawyer, Ueshiba Naoji, told reporters on Monday that the document [last week] simply described how the issue had developed and corrected misinformation in what had been reported.

Ueshiba added that the document was not designed to resolve the money issue.

He said it has become difficult to settle the issue through discussions, though Komuro and his mother have always been grateful for the former fiance's financial support.

The lawyer said Komuro is now prepared to provide money to settle the issue, and that Komuro has talked with the princess about his idea of a monetary settlement.

[...]
So... if the ex-fiance no longer wants the money back, what happens? A donation in the man's name to some charity?

Thank you for the welcome messages. I will respond to your posts later, but wanted to share the latest news on Kei Komuro. This is actually the second time I am writing this and hope it goes through.

Online article: https://bunshun.jp/articles/-/44779
Audio:
Quotes from the audio Komuro claims to possess courtesy of Fuji News Network: https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/166997

Bunshun has obtained and released an audio recording from August 2013 of Kei Komuro, his mother, and his mother’s ex-fiancé discussing the loan issue. In the recording, the ex-fiancé asks Komuro if he intends to pay him back. Komuro says he doesn’t because he perceived the money as a gift. His mother adds that the money was received while she and the ex-fiancé were engaged, implying that that was why it did not need to be returned. The ex-fiancé replies that he has been consulting someone, that the status of the engagement at the time had no bearing or whether or not the money needs to be returned, that they were still two separate households at the time and he cannot recall himself ever saying a single word about the money being a gift. Bunshun will be publishing more details in a 5-page article in their print issue out today.

In the 28-page document he released to the media, Komuro claimed he had a 2012 audio recording of the ex-fiancé saying he did not intend to ask for the money back from the mother and son. However, Komuro has not released the recording nor provided a transcript, and only quoted a few lines from the audio of the ex-fiancé saying he “didn’t” intend to have Komuro and his mother return the money (“[FONT=&quot]返してもらうつもりはなかった[/FONT]”). What has been pointed out by the media and what is odd about the quotes is that the ex-fiancé used the past tense and not “I don’t intend to have you return the money.” It leaves open the possibility that the ex-fiancé could have said, “I didn’t intend to have you return the money if we had gotten married (since our finances would be shared)” or something similar.

As you recall, Komuro’s mother asked to “borrow” money for living expenses from the ex-fiancé in an email in 2011 following the March 11 Earthquake and Tsunami. The mother and ex-fiancé were engaged at the time, and Komuro had already asked the ex-fiancé to deposit his university enrolment fee into his bank account in November 2010. This contradicts the mother’s 2013 claim that no money exchanged during an engagement can be considered borrowed.

Thank you for the welcome messages. I will respond to your posts later, but wanted to share the latest news on Kei Komuro. This is actually the second time I am writing this and hope it goes through.

Online article: https://bunshun.jp/articles/-/44779
Audio:
Quotes from the audio Komuro claims to possess courtesy of Fuji News Network: https://www.fnn.jp/articles/-/166997

Bunshun has obtained and released an audio recording from August 2013 of Kei Komuro, his mother, and his mother’s ex-fiancé discussing the loan issue. In the recording, the ex-fiancé asks Komuro if he intends to pay him back. Komuro says he doesn’t because he perceived the money as a gift. His mother adds that the money was received while she and the ex-fiancé were engaged, implying that that was why it did not need to be returned. The ex-fiancé replies that he has been consulting someone, that the status of the engagement at the time had no bearing or whether or not the money needs to be returned, that they were still two separate households at the time and he cannot recall himself ever saying a single word about the money being a gift. Bunshun will be publishing more details in a 5-page article in their print issue out today.

In the 28-page document he released to the media, Komuro claimed he had a 2012 audio recording of the ex-fiancé saying he did not intend to ask for the money back from the mother and son. However, Komuro has not released the recording nor provided a transcript, and only quoted a few lines from the audio of the ex-fiancé saying he “didn’t” intend to have Komuro and his mother return the money (“[FONT=&quot]返してもらうつもりはなかった[/FONT]”). What has been pointed out by the media and what is odd about the quotes is that the ex-fiancé used the past tense and not “I don’t intend to have you return the money.” It leaves open the possibility that the ex-fiancé could have said, “I didn’t intend to have you return the money if we had gotten married (since our finances would be shared)” or something similar.

As you recall, Komuro’s mother asked to “borrow” money for living expenses from the ex-fiancé in an email in 2011 following the March 11 Earthquake and Tsunami. The mother and ex-fiancé were engaged at the time, and Komuro had already asked the ex-fiancé to deposit his university enrolment fee into his bank account in November 2010. This contradicts the mother’s 2013 claim that no money exchanged during an engagement can be considered borrowed.

I forgot to add that in his 28-page document, Komuro claimed that in August 2013, the ex-fiance did not deny saying he didn't intend to have Komuro and his mother pay the money back. The 2013 audio provided by Bunshun directly contradicts Komuro's claim. Komuro also quoted the ex-fiancé's “[FONT=&quot]返してもらうつもりはなかった[/FONT]” ("I didn't intend to have you pay the money back") 23 times in his document.

Welcome Kikunohana , thankyou very much for your contribution's . It is lovely to hear a new voice . Certainly some of the information you have shared has been a surprise to this forum . I had never heard of any bullying allegation's . The news we receive in this country has been mainly concerning the financial dispute's .
Personally whilst I applaud this couples apparent constancy , my major worry is not the financial dispute , rather the fact that Komuro's ambition seems to be that of a perpetual student . After almost 2 year's of studies , again paid for by other's ,than his family or himself , according to his representative he is still not sure about becoming a lawyer .At 29 he is still "searching " for a fulfilling career .
HIH Princess Mako is a researcher at Tokyo University , combining this with her Royal duties . Even with the prospect of her dowry , this will not provide a realistic income to support both herself and Komuro . The idea of the Akishino family providing continued financial support to the couple is a non starter .
IMHO the IHA & the Akishino's ,with the information they undoubtedly had, should have " nipped " this sorry saga in the bud long ago . I can appreciate that as parents they wanted their daughter to marry a man she loved . However even Imperial Princesses have to live in the real world . Komura does not appear to live in the real world .

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for your contribution!

With respect, however, I consider this thread to have been more balanced than you portray it to be. With the exception of the bullying and work behavior allegations (which are interesting, and please feel free to add further information about it or any of the other topics), the essentials of all of the other points and arguments you mentioned in your post have been reported on and discussed within this thread (and for those of us who do not read Japanese, Prisma has done a good job of summarizing a variety of reports and commentary, including linking to the unedited text of statements). Both supporters and critics of Kei Komuro have expressed their views in the debate.

I fully agree with you on the importance of not condescendingly characterizing the Japanese public. However, for that very same purpose, one should be cautious about overgeneralization, as there is a diversity of opinions among the Japanese public, as there is in any country. As can been seen from the articles which were posted here, some members of the Japanese public do not trust Kei Komuro and believe he should not be permitted to marry Princess Mako, some do not trust him but believe the couple should be permitted to choose their own spouses, some pity him, some applaud him, and some are indifferent.

Isn’t that the problem? Those who cannot read Japanese are relying on one person, who has supported Komuro since the beginning of the announced engagement, to handpick and summarize articles for them. That the posters here were completely unaware of the bullying allegations, which received widespread public attention in Japan, speaks to how one-sided the reporting has been in this forum.

Two victims and one parent have spoken directly to Bunshun and accused Kei Komuro of bullying during his elementary to high school years.
Since they were published months or years ago (Victim A’s story was first published in 2019), Bunshun’s full articles on the bullying allegations are now behind a paywall or only available in print, but other news sources have repeatedly published quotes from the interviews, and preview articles and video from Bunshun are still accessible.

Preview article from Bunshun about their interview with the high school bullying victim: https://bunshun.jp/articles/-/42509

Yahoo News version of the above article: https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/ef8a3395451a0f80727e5db72e5db019b23185aa

Bunshun article with some of the bullying allegations made by A and the father of the third-grade student (behind a paywall): https://bunshun.jp/denshiban/articles/b267

Promotional video by Bunshun with footage of their interview with A: youtube.com/watch?v=wlIzEyPxEIk

Article from Business Journal with quotes from the Bunshun article about the bullying of the third-grader: https://biz-journal.jp/2021/01/post_202653.html

Article from Business Journal with quotes from Bunshun articles about the bullying of A and the high school student: https://biz-journal.jp/2020/12/post_198853.html

If you would like to read the full articles on the bullying allegations, they can be found in the 2019 May 11, 2020 December 24, and 2021 January 11 issues of Weekly Bunshun.

During recess when he was in the fifth grade, Komuro took a drawing by a third-grader that had been praised by a teacher in Komuro’s class, and stomped on it. (At the time, Komuro had been taking art lessons in Kanagawa prefecture and may have been prompted by jealousy.) According to the father of the third-grader, when his wife called Komuro’s mother to relay what had happened, Komuro’s mother became aggressive and claimed her son would never do such a thing. Komuro’s mother was eventually forced to admit her son was responsible and apologized as there were witnesses to her son’s actions. However, the bullying didn’t end there.

Komuro and Victim A were in the school soccer club and took the train to school together every day. Korumo would call A the night before to tell him in which train car and at what time they should meet in the morning at their departure station to go to school, but one day, Komuro did not show and A could not find him. When A arrived at their destination station, Komuro was waiting there with the school bully and laughing at him. This continued every day. Eventually, A realized that Komuro was always riding in the neighboring train car, watching and laughing at A as A searched for him on the train each morning.

Komuro and his group of friends would also steal and hide A’s scissors and sewing tools for class.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For “soccer practice,” during recess, Komuro had A play goal keeper while he and the rest of their soccer group would kick balls at A at close range at the same time. When A could no longer stand their game and began to play with another classmate, Komuro and the group would yell at A from the school window and tell him that he was “gross” and shouldn’t come to school anymore. The bullying continued, causing A to frequently stay home from school until they graduated. Instead of attending the middle school associated with their elementary school (the schools were affiliated with the Kunitachi College of Music), A went to a different middle school to avoid the possibility of encountering Komuro and the soccer group again. Still, A’s anxiety did not wane and during university, he sought therapy and was told that the bullying he received from Komuro could be the origin of his psychological trauma. [/FONT]

Bunshun contacted other classmates and guardians from the elementary school, and the majority confirmed what the father of the third grader and A had claimed. A also provided Bunshun their elementary school album and screenshots of messages he had received from Komuro to prove he was being truthful. A confronted Komuro about the bullying when he and his mother received requests from media to talk about Komuro’s character as a childhood friend and classmate, after the planned engagement to Princess Mako was announced. Komuro thanked A for his friendship and acknowledged that A’s parents significantly helped him and his mother after his father’s death (according to Komuro’s messages, A’s father even took him to baseball games while A’s mother provided emotional support to Mrs Komuro), but would not apologize for nor acknowledge the bullying despite A’s emotional reply.

When Komuro was in the fourth grade, his father committed suicide and his maternal grandfather did the same a week later (and if we are to believe the weeklies, so did his maternal grandmother a year later). According to A, immediately following the death of Komuro’s father, his mother’s new boyfriend also began to show up at their school. It is very possible that the bullying in elementary school was Komuro acting out in pain and he was still a young child at the time, but he continued bullying others into high school.

From their first year in middle school to their first year of high school, Komuro and his friend bullied a female student. He would call the girl “pig,” “fat,” and “ugly.” He would also oink and say “the pig passed by” when he and the girl crossed paths. The bullying continued for four years and only got worse in high school, until the female student dropped out and confined herself to her home for two years. Someone associated with the Canadian International School (Komuro’s middle and high school) told Bunshun that a female student at their school had dropped out due to malicious bullying from a group of five boys that included Komuro. Bunshun spoke to two of the boys from the group who said that the bullying story was not factual, but did not expand further. Bunshun then approached the victim, who confirmed the allegations, but clarified that it was the leader of Komuro’s clique and Komuro (the second-in-command), not the two boys Bunshun spoke to, who bullied her.

Bunshun tried to contact the group leader and Komuro about the bullying allegations, but neither responded and Komuro’s representative also would not respond. Komuro did not address any of the allegations in his 28-page document, either.

Thank you and apologies to the moderators who have to approve my links each time I post.

What's the path forward since Mako and Kei simply aren't breaking up?

Would it be possible for them to marry by giving up the lump sum and Mako leaving Imperial status per Chapter 2, Article 11 of the Imperial House Law? (Although no one has actually left that way...)

https://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e-kunaicho/hourei-01.html

With all due respect, you have linked to and summarized articles from Bunshun, Josei Jishin and Josei Seven in this thread, and tweeted other online articles from Bunshun during the same time that they released the high school bullying allegations, which, unlike their story about Princess Kako’s mint coat, were the main feature on the top page of their website (bunshun.jp), in the headlines of their weekly’s latest issue, tweeted on the official Bunshun twitter account, and dominated social media in Japan.

The public cannot stop Princess Mako from marrying Kei Komuro, but according to Imperial Household journalist and former IHA official Shinji Yamashita in Shukan Josei Prime, refusing the lump sum is a possibility and may be the best course of action. While there is an upper limit to how much the lump sum can be, there is no limit to how little it can be and it is the Imperial House Economy Council which decides on the amount (Imperial House Economy Law, Article 6) as the sum comes from the state. However, the council is unlikely to significantly reduce the sum because Princess Mako requires funds for security purposes and she may be the daughter or sister of the future emperor someday, and the council would have to explain why the amount was reduced. Princess Mako can also accept the lump sum and immediately return it in some fashion (donation). Shukan Josei Prime: https://www.jprime.jp/articles/-/12524?page=3

It is also possible for Princess Mako to remove herself from the Imperial Family according to Chapter 2 Article 11 before marrying Komuro, though it would be the first time for something like that to happen since 1947. However, she would still receive a lump sum. Asahi Newspaper Ronza: https://webronza.asahi.com/politics/articles/2020011400008.html?page=2

The ex-fiancé was recently interviewed by Shukan Gendai on Komuro’s 28-page document. He said he was shocked to learn that Kei Komuro claimed to have secretly recorded him in September 2012 when he called off the engagement to his mother over her increasing financial demands. He did not warn the Komuros beforehand that he was going to break off the engagement nor indicate that he had something important to say to them when he did. Shukan Gendai: https://gendai.ismedia.jp/articles/-/82253

The supposed 2012 recording has also raised fears that Komuro may have secretly recorded Princess Mako, her family, or the IHA at some time.

At the April 22 press conference, the head of the Imperial Household Agency shared that Komuro did not inform the IHA of his intention to pay a settlement to his mother’s ex-fiancé and the IHA still has not heard from Komuro. Sankei News: https://www.sankei.com/life/news/210422/lif2104220029-n1.html

Bunshun republished emails that Mrs Komuro sent to her ex-fiancé and consulted a certified tax accountant in a new article. In her September 5 2010 email, Mrs Komuro said she would agree to a common-law marriage to the ex-fiancé if he met certain conditions, which included making her the beneficiary of his life insurance policy and continuing to receive the survivor’s pension. After four years when the ex-fiancé started receiving his own pension, she said she would legally marry him. In her email the following day, Mrs Komuro told the ex-fiancé they must not inform friends or work of the common-law marriage. In her October 15 2010 email, Mrs Komuro reiterated that they must not let anyone know about the common law marriage because if the ward office got word, “the worst” could happen. She also said her son told her something about the situation (indicating Kei was not only “in” on the secret but an active participant) and believed the common law marriage should be kept secret from the ex-fiancé’s daughter because the daughter might accidentally tell her husband, mother in law, mother or step-father about it. Takashi Yaginuma, a tax accountant Bunshun consulted, said that Mrs Komuro was essentially trying to commit fraud. Shukan Bunshun Online: https://bunshun.jp/articles/-/44931
[FONT=&quot]
(My elderly relatives, who do not read gossip magazines nor follow celebrity news or use social media, are aware of the various allegations against Komuro and his mother. Komuro is also frequently discussed on afternoon TV news shows. People joke that the ex-fiancé's loan could have been paid off by now had these afternoon shows paid Komuro each time they talked [/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom