The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Commoner

A marriage between Prince Hisahito and Princess Aiko?

Is this something that might happen in the future?

Maybe this is a stupid thing even to consider, but I'm pretty sure that Hisahito and Aiko would have been forced to marry each other if the year was 1606, not 2006.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox

Maybe this is a stupid thing even to consider, but I'm pretty sure that Hisahito and Aiko would have been forced to marry each other if the year was 1606, not 2006.
I think, if it was 1606, this problem would not have exist, the Crown Prince would have taken another wife or take a concubine. Even if the Crown Prince didn't do eather one of the two, I don't think in 1606 Japan would have excepted an ruling Empress.. (even though Japan has known ruling Empresses, I believe 8 or something, please correct me if I'm wrong )

Old 11-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
I think, if it was 1606, this problem would not have exist, the Crown Prince would have taken another wife or take a concubine. Even if the Crown Prince didn't do eather one of the two, I don't think in 1606 Japan would have excepted an ruling Empress.. (even though Japan has known ruling Empresses, I believe 8 or something, please correct me if I'm wrong )
You're correct Princess Robijn. From what I have been told by my professor, Japan has had eight empresses since from around 660 BC.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Here you go. List of Emperors of Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Emperors
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 PM

I don't think it's impossible. Indeed, the IHA might see it as a solution to a problem. Little Aiko gets to be an Empress and Hisahito gets to be an Emperor.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

What about the blood? I mean they are very close related.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

ewwww. Maybe it is immature to say that, but ewwww. They're cousins- it's just wrong.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Nobility

Not necessarily advocating it, but:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/041001.html

Apparently cousin marriages don't create a recipe for disaster -- it's just if you keep doing it generation after generation...the gene pool gets really small that way!
Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Commoner

Marriages between cousins is still legal in Japan, right? It's legal here in Sweden, anyway.

I think that a marriage between Aiko and Hisahito would be a nice solution to this problem, but ONLY if they really want it themselves. Forced marriages are no good at all.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox
Marriages between cousins is still legal in Japan, right? It's legal here in Sweden, anyway.

I think that a marriage between Aiko and Hisahito would be a nice solution to this problem, but ONLY if they really want it themselves. Forced marriages are no good at all.
Yes, there're no good at all, but remember that IHA can do anything
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Gentry

i guess it could happen but there is really nothing to accomplish if they did get married, there would have to be more change in the imperial succession laws instead of what might seem a "quick" fix. i dont think the idea should be seen as gross though, this stuff has happened in the past!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Doesnt it matter that Aiko is older than her intended? It's not so long that marriages with an older woman were frowned upon in Europe. Hmmm..., maybe not if it was about a throne - Mary Tudor and Philip of Spain come to mind, with Mary a first cousin of Philip's father and some years his senior...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I, for one, should like this marriage. There is many, many years I don't see a fully royal marriage. I'm not saying is bad to a royal to marry a commoner. It brings fresh blood to families and all...but a royal marrying a royal is almost a forgotten thing. And I should like to see a Prince marrying a Princesse...at least, time to time!

Vanesa.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative – Japan

Although it would be wrong for this to happen...come on they are cousins for crying out loud!!! But considering what the IHA can and could do, unless something changes to limit their influences and allow women on the throne, I'll bet all my money on the IHA doing something as crazy, stupid, and disgusting as this.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Serene Highness

No way. I don't see this happening. I know in the past there were arranged marriages between close cousins in almost all monarchies. But I think it will not happend in Japan. Both Akihito and Naruhito had wives who were commoners and marriages were no arranged.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

I doubt that the IHA would be all that bothered; female royals seem to be superfluous to requirement, after all. As long as Prince Hisahito doesn't want to go and marry a blue-eyed blonde foreigner, I don't suppose he'll be expected to marry a Japanese royal. The IHA doesn't seem to have any particular fondness for the present Crown Prince and his family, after all.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lox

I cant say yes or No .... maybe...
Old 01-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I doubt that the IHA would be all that bothered; female royals seem to be superfluous to requirement, after all. As long as Prince Hisahito doesn't want to go and marry a blue-eyed blonde foreigner, I don't suppose he'll be expected to marry a Japanese royal. The IHA doesn't seem to have any particular fondness for the present Crown Prince and his family, after all.

I agree, I think their treatment of CPss Masako has been downright deplorable.

That said, I hope he DOES marry someone like that, and she looks like Paris Hilton. That oughta give them a right fright, no?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Serene Highness

I agree, that back in the day, Japanese princes could only marry princesses. Heck, even most of the concubines had some imperial blood, didn't they? And even though the imperial family was bigger back then, I'm sure, that there had to be many marriages between first cousins. However, I don't think this has to happen to princess Aiko and prince Hisahito. Say what you want about the IHA, but I don't think even they could pull this off now in the 21rst century.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:05 PM

i don't think it's gonna happen...this is the 21st century not..the Edo period....marrage bethven cousins is ilegal in Japan i think...Say what you want about the IHA, but I don't think even they could pull this off now in the 21rst century.

Tags
aiko, hisahito, marriage, prince hisahito, princess aiko