The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Princess Astrid, Archduke Lorenz and their family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Courtier

Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Family - general questions

I have a question, is this the villa in which Princess Astrid and Her family lives in ? : http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...ad/1617394.jpg

Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Princess Astrid and family - general questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikha Pal View Post
I have a question, is this the villa in which Princess Astrid and Her family lives in ? : http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii294/soprtsmad/1617394.jpg
I think it is, yes.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
I think it is, yes.
But wich palace or house will Prince Amedeo live when he get merried??
Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 AM

Prince Amedeo will probably have to find a house for himself.

The palaces and houses in the Royal Trust are for use of the entire royal family, but first and foremost the King and his children. The royal family or Belgian government cannot provide houses for each of the twelve grandchildren of the King, that would be a bit much.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think it is, yes.
How long ago did they build that villa??
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure, but I think it was built shortly after Albert became King. Before that, Princess Astrid and her family lived in Switzerland, and when they returned at first they lived at Stuyvenberg. So I think it is no older than 15 years.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Nobility

I am not surprised. The house has a very "new" feel about it - perhaps something to do with the materials chosen for the exterior.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Commoner

i just need to ask something... The king and queen of belgium has 12 grandchildren... Princess Elisabeth will one day become queen. And her future children will be titled: prince or princess of belgium. But like if ex: Maria-Laura or Louise have children , will they be prince or princess of belgium?. Like Amedeo and Joachim they are also archduke... So if they get children , will they be prince/ess of belgium???
Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This is a very good question...I've just checked in the Belgian Constitution, but it doesn't say anything regarding it.
Surely the children of Maria Laura and Louise Marie won't be Archdukes.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Surely the children of Maria Laura and Louise Marie won't be Archdukes.
Unless, of course, they marry a distant cousin who is also a member of the House of Habsburg. These things used to be much more common, but you never know....
Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Oh, yes, of course...and it would be nice...
Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Courtier

Will the future grandchildren of Princess Astrid have any titles??
Old 12-24-2009, 04:22 AM

The children of her sons (if their marriage is accepted by the Head of the Habsburg house, I think it has to be) will receive the Habsburg titles of course: Archduke/duchess of Austria-Este, and the son of Amedeo will carry on the title of Duke of Modena.
As for their daughters' children, I think that depends on the man they marry.

I don't know if the title "Prince(ss) of Belgium" is restricted to children and grandchildren of the reigning monarch or the crown prince. In any case, the title only emphasises that they are in line for the throne, it doesn't entitle them to any special priviliges.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The children of Amedeo and Joachim will (probably, if their marriage won't be morganatic) be Archdukes of Austria-Este, Royal Princes of Hungary and Bohemia; the eldest son of Amedeo will be also the titular Duke of Modena and Reggio, after Amedeo.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Courtier

One more question. are Princess Astrid"s children allowed to marry commoners??
Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don't know if the title "Prince(ss) of Belgium" is restricted to children and grandchildren of the reigning monarch or the crown prince. In any case, the title only emphasises that they are in line for the throne, it doesn't entitle them to any special priviliges.
No the Title Prince/Princess of Belgium is not limited. Since the change of the succession law it goes to all descendants of king Albert II. in both male and female line. But i think they have to do soemting about thius because otherwise Belgium will be flooted with Princes and Princesses in about 20 years. I think the best time for a change would be when the first grandchildren marry.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
No the Title Prince/Princess of Belgium is not limited. Since the change of the succession law it goes to all descendants of king Albert II. in both male and female line. But i think they have to do soemting about thius because otherwise Belgium will be flooted with Princes and Princesses in about 20 years. I think the best time for a change would be when the first grandchildren marry.
Why do they have to do something about it? I dont see a problem if they all carry the title since they have the right to.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
One more question. are Princess Astrid"s children allowed to marry commoners??
Well:

- As Princes of Belgium, they only need the permission of the King to marry and remain in the LoS, so they can marry commoners; btw, technically, in the last two belgian royal weddings, both the Princes Philippe and Laurent married two Princesses of Belgium, since both Mathilde and Claire have been created Princess of Belgium by the King the day before each wedding;
- As Archdukes of Austria, they need the permission of the Head of the Family (Archduke Karl); it is better if they marry at least noblemen/noblewomen, but in the last years the marriages of some Archdukes to commoners (AD Maximilian, AD Konrad, AD Philipp) have been allowed by the Head and therefore equal.

So, in both cases I think they can marry commoners without problems (but if they marry aristocrats is better...)
Old 12-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Quote:
Why do they have to do something about it? I dont see a problem if they all carry the title since they have the right to.
Usually the problem is linked to the allowances paid by the State to the Princes; but since in Belgium this will no longer be a problem, since only the children of the King and the Duke of Brabant will receive an allowance, there is no reason to limit the transmission of the title.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post

I think not that the present Princes and Princesses lose their Titles. But that their children don't vecome Princes and Pricnesses. The children of Pricness Astrid have their own Titles and for ther other the King could create an countly title or something like that. At the moment the King and Queen have 12 granchildren. If they all marry and have again 3-4 children wo will be Prince/Princess that are a lot.

Royal Travel and Events

Tags
princess astrid children