Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Family - general questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does any of Princess Astrid children have boyfriend/girlfriend (s)?

Which one of Princess Astrid children is it.Who is getting engaged?Do you know who the lucky person is.

No one as for now; I am just speculating that no sooner than when they get engaged, we will know the identity of their beloved ones.

According to the ascension of the throne of King Philippe, how this affects the future (and hypothetical) marriage of Astrid Children, do you think their uncle would made their partners Prince/Princess of Belgium or there is any chance they grant some other title (like in the British Royal Family)?

In what year did Archduke Lorenz receive the title of Duc de Bar?

As an Austrian Archduke and a male member of the House of Habsburg- Lothringen he helds this title since his birth. For example the late AD Otto also held and used the title Duc de Bar while he was studying in Belgium.

Haha, first let me daydream... (it's obvious Joachim is my crush) If we get married, I will not have a problem with titles. It's very fine with me and our children to have no titles, no dotation, whatever. We only love Joachim...but the question is... what surname would Joachim's future wife (daydreaming: me) and children have? As well as Elisabetta and their (Amedeo and Elisabetta's) children? ... Habsburg-Este? De Belgique/Van Belgie/Von Belgien?

Are the unmarried siblings allowed to marry non-Catholic Christians? I am hoping they will be.

Is it also necessary for Astrid and Lorenz's grandchildren to have multiple names? Since they will not bear titles (unless granted), I think it's not necessary to name the grandchildren 3-up names, right? Or maybe it's up to the parents...

Since Amadeo didn't ask for a marriage permission from King Philippe, Elisabetta is presently Princess Amadeo of Belgium (from reading the previous posts concerning this matter). I think she is an Archduchess of Habsburg-Este because Archduke Lorenz is the head of Habsburg-Este, and obviously, he granted them his consent... or do they really need to ask permission from the head of Habsburg-Lorraine for Elisabetta to be Archduchess Elisabetta of Habsburg-Este?

P.S. Please excuse my daydreams. Thank you very much for understanding and for the answers to my queries : )

Last edited:
:previous:

Official name changes are seldom approved in Belgium. Prince Joachim's wife would most likely keep her legal name, although she could unofficially use her husband's surname. Elisabetta uses Rosboch.

The royal court has not clarified what they will call Elisabetta or her children. Princess Astrid's grandchildren (but not her children-in-law) will legally be Princes(ses) of Belgium unless the royal decree of 1991 is repealed in the future.

The Constitution does not require the royal family to practice any faith.

I hope I have answered some of your questions. :flowers:

On the subject of titles: Though Belgium recognizes their abolished Austrian imperial titles, Princess Astrid and Prince Lorenz and their children are officially styled only Royal Highness.

For example, the announcement of Prince Amedeo's engagement reads "Hunne Koninklijke Hoogheden Prinses Astrid en Prins Lorenz hebben het groot genoegen de verloving aan te kondigen van Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid Prins Amedeo met Juffrouw Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein."

De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Actueel - Agenda - Verloving van Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid Prins Amedeo met Juffrouw Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein

Haha, first let me daydream... (it's obvious Joachim is my crush) If we get married, I will not have a problem with titles. It's very fine with me and our children to have no titles, no dotation, whatever. We only love Joachim...but the question is... what surname would Joachim's future wife (daydreaming: me) and children have? As well as Elisabetta and their (Amedeo and Elisabetta's) children? ... Habsburg-Este? De Belgique/Van Belgie/Von Belgien?

Are the unmarried siblings allowed to marry non-Catholic Christians? I am hoping they will be.

Is it also necessary for Astrid and Lorenz's grandchildren to have multiple names? Since they will not bear titles (unless granted), I think it's not necessary to name the grandchildren 3-up names, right? Or maybe it's up to the parents...

Since Amadeo didn't ask for a marriage permission from King Philippe, Elisabetta is presently Princess Amadeo of Belgium (from reading the previous posts concerning this matter). I think she is an Archduchess of Habsburg-Este because Archduke Lorenz is the head of Habsburg-Este, and obviously, he granted them his consent... or do they really need to ask permission from the head of Habsburg-Lorraine for Elisabetta to be Archduchess Elisabetta of Habsburg-Este?

P.S. Please excuse my daydreams. Thank you very much for understanding and for the answers to my queries : )

In Belgium you would be Prinses van België / Princesse de Belgique depending on the region in Belgium where you are registered. The real surname on itself, which is in Belgium the surname the father is registered with, is Van Oostenrijk-Este / d'Autriche-Este. In Austria itself they refuse to speak about "Of Austria" and therefore all members of the Archducal family are named "Habsburg" (not even using the "von").

In Belgium, until 1996 Lorenz was registered with the title and surname Aartshertog van Oostenrijk-Este / Archiduc d'Autriche-Este. When Lorenz' children or grandchildren no longer use the title Prince of Belgium, then this is their natural title and surname. Lorenz' other titles (Duke of Modena, Royal Prince of Hungary and name them all) are not legally recognized in Belgium. Of course he can use it but in his Belgian passport only "Prince of Belgium" and "Archduke of Austria-Este" are registered.

How your children would be styled depends on the situation. When the children are no longer in the line of succession for the Belgian throne (as is rumoured with Amedeo himself) then it seems logical to me that the children are no longer Prince(ss) of Belgium. The many names with which the Habsburgers are baptized are a tradition. They want to include the many saints from their extended former lands, they want to honour family members who are acting as godfather or -mother or want to honour a special person.

When we look to Prince Joachim Karl Maria Nikolaus Isabelle Marcus d'Aviano of Belgium, Archduke of Austria then the names are pretty logical:

Joachim - a first name the parents like
Karl - the name of the last Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary, the Blessed Karl I (grandfather of Lorenz)
Maria - the name of the Virgin
Nikolaus - godfather Prince Nikolaus von und zu Liechtenstein
Isabelle - godmother Archduchess Isabelle of Austria-Este
Marcus d'Aviano - the name of a Blessed Capucin Monk which is born by countless of Habsburgers, him being seen as guardian for their wellbeing

If your children will be Belgian, you can even give them your name!

Up until a year ago children (with an official father) got the name of their father automatically. But now you can choose: name dad, name mum, name dad & name mum or the other way round.

Go crazy :)

Last edited:
Wow, thank you sooo much for the complete answers - Tatiana Maria, Duc et Pair and cdm! I learned a lot : )) God bless you all!

:previous:
My pleasure. :flowers:

Even supposing that the court will refer to Joachim's wife as a Princess of Belgium, I think it is not very likely that she would be granted an officially registered title, except perhaps Archduchess of Austria-Este. But we shall see.

It is clear that Prince Amedeo did not receive official permission from the king and government for his marriage (see Amedeo and Elisabetta's thread for more information) and ergo Article 85 of the Constitution strips Amedeo himself of his succession rights, but it does not clarify the rights of his future children.

I was wondering what title the children of Amedeo and Elisabetta will have,but I guess this will be clarified when a pregnancy is announced.

I really hope that your guess will prove right, An Ard Ri, but somehow I fear it won't.
The Royal Court didn't bother to say anything about Elisabetta's status and title, so I wouldn't be surprised if things will continue to be so much messy and unclear in the future.

When the children of Prince Amedeo and Prince Joachim are only Archduke of Austria-Este then we know that they are no longer in line of succession for the Belgian throne.

The Belgians need to make a change somewhere. Because the titles are hereditary in both the male and female line without limit (unlike in the Netherlands, Luxembourg or the United Kingdom, for an example) there is a chance that there will be countless Princes and Princesses of Belgium walking around.

In other monarchies the movement is going the opposite way: the fewer Princes and Princesses, the better.

To His Grace the Duke of Lapalisse .

The Belgian Royal Court and the Belgium Government know better than you how they have to handle the tittles of Princes or Princesses of Belgium in the future.

Please continue to glorify your royal family of the Netherands .

For the others as Pair of France remain respectful.

Thanks !

When the children of Prince Amedeo and Prince Joachim are only Archduke of Austria-Este then we know that they are no longer in line of succession for the Belgian throne.

The Belgians need to make a change somewhere. Because the titles are hereditary in both the male and female line without limit (unlike in the Netherlands, Luxembourg or the United Kingdom, for an example) there is a chance that there will be countless Princes and Princesses of Belgium walking around.

In other monarchies the movement is going the opposite way: the fewer Princes and Princesses, the better.

The way things are going we could have the same situation in Sweden though I suspect there will be some kind of limitation sooner or later.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

What do Prince Amedeo, Princess Elisabetta, Princess Maria Laura, Prince Joachim and Princess Luisa Maria do?

:previous: I'm not sure what Amedeo does now, but according to Wikipedia, last year and the year before he went back to his studies and was awarded an MBA at the Columbia Business School at Columbia University. Elisabetta works as an arts and culture reporter at Bloomberg (according to Royalista).

Maria Laura is studying at the Institut National des Langues et Civilisations Orientales in Paris. Luisa Maria is at university in Montreal. (According to Wikipedia.) :flowers:

Where they live Astrid and Lorenz? in a palace of the royal family?

What do Prince Amedeo, Princess Elisabetta, Princess Maria Laura, Prince Joachim and Princess Luisa Maria do?

Prince Amedeo works in Brussels and Elisabetta recently quit het job at Bloomberg.

Prince Joachim in studying in Italy and Princess Luisa Maria in Canada.

What are the surnames that Prince Lorenz, Archduchesses Elisabetta and Anna Astrid use?.

What titles did Elisabetta and Anna Astrid get?

What are the surnames that Prince Lorenz, Archduchesses Elisabetta and Anna Astrid use?

Lorenz uses four surnames: von Habsburg Lothringen, de Belgique, de Habsbourg, and d'Este. His and Anna Astrid's legal family name in French is d'Autriche-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine).

Les quatre noms de Lorenz, l'époux de la princesse Astrid
http://plus.lesoir.be/53935/article...ur-les-princes-qui-ne-seront-plus-de-belgique

Lili continued the use of the surname Rosboch after marriage. Rosboch von Wolkenstein is her legal family name.

Lili Rosboch stories - Bloomberg

What titles did Elisabetta and Anna Astrid get?

Elisabetta has the title of Princess Amedeo of Belgium. The court has also called her Princess Elisabetta in thank-you notes, but always refers to her as Princess Amedeo of Belgium in official announcements. It is simply a courtesy title and not legally recognized.

http://www.facebook.com/BeMonarchie/posts/1684077428522557
Prins Amedeo niet meer troongerechtigd - HLN.be

A spokesman of the Palace confirmed that Anna Astrid enjoys the title of Princess (but not Princess of Belgium) and "may assume other titles in due course". In her birth certificate is written Son Altesse Impériale et Royale la Princesse Anna Astrid Marie Archiduchesse d'Autriche-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine) (HI&RH Princess Anna Astrid Marie Archduchess of Austria-Este (Habsburg-Lorraine)).

Princess Anna Astrid: Brussels Prince Amedeo and Elisabetta Welcome Baby
http://twitter.com/RTLPlaceRoyale/status/733664995834245120
http://plus.lesoir.be/53935/article...ur-les-princes-qui-ne-seront-plus-de-belgique

Elisabetta has the title of Princess Amedeo of Belgium. The court has also called her Princess Elisabetta in thank-you notes, but always refers to her as Princess Amedeo of Belgium in official announcements. It is simply a courtesy title and not legally recognized.

Prins Amedeo niet meer troongerechtigd - HLN.be

A spokesman of the Palace confirmed that Anna Astrid enjoys the title of Princess (but not Princess of Belgium) and "may assume other titles in due course". In her birth certificate is written Son Altesse Impériale et Royale la Princesse Anna Astrid Marie Archiduchesse d'Autriche-Este (Habsbourg-Lorraine) (HI&RH Princess Anna Astrid Marie Archduchess of Austria-Este (Habsburg-Lorraine)).

Under King Philippe's latest royal decree, Anna Astrid is not a princess of Belgium. The title "prince or princess of Belgium", with the style HRH, is now reserved only to the children and grandchildren of either the Sovereign (currently King Philippe) or the heir apparent to the throne (currently Princess Elisabeth), plus all people who already had that title prior to the latest royal decree, including Princess Astrid and her children, but not her grandchildren (like Anna Astrid).

Since Anna Astrid is not a princess of Belgium and there is no other legally recognized class of princesses in the Belgian royal family, I don't understand what kind of princess the Palace's press release about Anna Astrid refers to. Maybe they are just confused or they are acknowledging her princely status in Austria, Bohemia (now the Czech Republic), Hungary and Croatia, which BTW is not legally recognized anymore in any of the aforementioned countries.

Last edited:
According to the Palace, she is entitled to be addressed as [HRH] Princess Amedeo of Belgium. Prince Amedeo himself is addressed as HRH in Belgium.

Prins en Prinses Amedeo van België melden met grote vreugde de geboorte van een dochtertje, dat ter wereld kwam om 3u30 in de ochtend, in het UMC Sint- Pieter in Brussel.

Consentement est accordé au mariage de Son Altesse Royale le Prince Amedeo, Prince de Belgique, avec Madame Elisabetta Maria Rosboch von Wolkenstein, célébré le 5 juillet 2014.
http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cg..._date=2015-11-24&numac=2015021074&caller=list

Since Anna Astrid is not a princess of Belgium and there is no other legally recognized class of princesses in the Belgian royal family, I don't understand what kind of princess the Palace's press release about Anna Astrid refers to. Maybe they are just confused or they are acknowledging her princely status in Austria, Bohemia (now the Czech Republic), Hungary and Croatia, which BTW is not legally recognized anymore in any of the aforementioned countries.

The Royal Decree of 2015 presupposes that direct descendants of Leopold I can be Princes(ses) even when they are not Princes(ses) of Belgium. Articles 1-3 deal with the title Prince(ss) of Belgium and Article 4 says "Art. 4. Les Princes et Princesses, issus de la descendance directe de Sa Majesté Léopold, Georges, Chrétien, Frédéric de Saxe-Cobourg qui ne sont pas visés par les articles 1er à 3 [i.e. who are not Princes(ses) of Belgium], portent à la suite de leur prénom et, pour autant qu'ils le portent, de leur nom de famille, les titres qui leur reviennent de droit par leur ascendance."

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

Additionally, Belgian media that talked to the Palace after the Royal Decree reported that (some of?) Astrid's and Laurent's grandchildren will be Princes(ses) even though they will not be Princes(ses) of Belgium. (I posted two articles here.)

Last edited:
Does Elisabetta, wife of Prince Amedeo, still work for the culture section of Bloomberg News?

Does Elisabetta, wife of Prince Amedeo, still work for the culture section of Bloomberg News?

It doesn't seem like it. Her profile (under the byline Lili Rosboch) has been removed from Bloomberg's website.

Back
Top Bottom