Princess Astrid & Prince Lorenz of Belgium Current Events 4, April 2019- present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
317px-Dual_Cypher_of_Princess_Astrid_and_Prince_Lorenz_of_Belgium.svg.png

Princess Astrid ,Archduchess of Austria-Este & Prince Lorenz of Belgium,Archduke of Austria-Este current events Part 4 Good Friday 2019.

The previous thread can be found here

Please post current news and pictures of Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz, and their family in this thread.

While doing so, please remember to follow the TRF Rules & FAQs
  • The current events' thread is only for current news & events
  • Do not forget to provide sources for all photos & articles
  • Do not post thumbnails of pictures, you can provide link to pictures only.
  • Please remember when posting pictures, to post only selected ones (there is no need to post whole bunch of similar photos). Providing a direct link to the photos or the photo album is recommended.
  • Please do not linked the photos directly. Hotlinking is strongly prohibited.
  • Pictures from previous events may be posted in the picture thread via imagehost.
  • Please be respectful to others' opinions even if you're disagree, and always be courteous to your follow members.
  • Lastly, have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:

Princess Astrid attended the second edition of the biennial "AstraZeneca Foundation Award" for biopharmaceutical research at the Palais des Academies in Brussels today, May 3:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Today, May 9, Princess Astrid attended the award ceremony of the Prince Albert Fund in Brussels:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Astrid , Prince Lorenz and their children ,Princess Luisa Maria, Princess Laetitia Maria and Prince Joachim pictured at a polling station in Laken, Brussels, today 26 May

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6591848

It is unusual to see members of a Royal Family going to the polls as they normally abstain from voting, even though they are entitled to do so if they wish. Is that common in Belgium ?

It is unusual to see members of a Royal Family going to the polls as they normally abstain from voting, even though they are entitled to do so if they wish. Is that common in Belgium ?

As far as I know Mathilde and Philippe used to vote regularly. Only the king and queen abstain from voting.

When King Baudouin passed away Queen Fabiola had to vote for the first time...
I did not see King Albert II and Queen Paola.

Voting is still mandatory in Belgium.

Quote of the website of Belgium newssite VRT News:
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/en/2019/05/26/princess-astrid-and-her-family-vote-in-brussels/

Princess Astrid and her family vote in Brussels
Although King Filip and Queen Mathilde don’t vote as they are obliged to be politically neutral, the other members of the Belgian Royal family will be voting today. On Sunday morning the King’s sister Princess Astrid, her husband Prince Lorenz and three of her children cast their votes at a polling station in the Brussels district of Laken.
I had hoped that we could see pictures of King Albert and King Paola who cast their vote. Unless, for example, they have authorized someone else to do that. Queen Fabiola did that when it became too difficult for her to vote, I think.

Isn't voting compulsory in Belgium? I expect this is why the RF (except the reigning sovereign & spouse) vote - to show they also have to comply with the law.

:previous:
I do think there is nothing else behind it than that they have to vote like all other Belgians today. And that the photographers think they can take a nice picture of it among all the other election news.??
Incidentally, one of the many parliaments that the Belgians are voting on today is for the European Parliament. This is being voted on today in several European countries. And I have also seen photos of some of the members of the Luxembourg Grand-Ducal family.

Would it not be possible for them to have voted via Letter. In Germany one can do this when one is abroad at the time of the elcetion or can not go in person on the Day of the election.

Maybe they think it encourages everyone to vote if even the RF are seen to do it.

Maybe they think it encourages everyone to vote if even the RF are seen to do it.

People have to vote anyway as in Belgium it is duty to vote.

I had hoped that we could see pictures of King Albert and King Paola who cast their vote. Unless, for example, they have authorized someone else to do that. Queen Fabiola did that when it became too difficult for her to vote, I think.

O hurray I now see pictures of them voting. And they seem to have fun with it.
https://www.belgaimage.be/#/image/150506351

Last edited:

Princess Astrid accompanied by Prince Lorenz has opened the National Games of the Special Olympics in Sint-Niklaas yesterday, May 29:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** hln gallery **

** sporza video: Prinses Astrid opent de Special Olympics in Sint-Niklaas **

** vrt video: Prinses Astrid opent nationale spelen van Special Olympics in Sint-Niklaas **

And they attended the opening of the PiKANT! exhibition organized by The Phoebus Foundation at the Saint Martin Church and the Orangery and the Water Castle of Moorsel:

** nieuwsblad.be gallery: "Prinses Astrid is een enorm vriendelijke dame" **

** hln article with photos: IN BEELD: Prinses Astrid opent PiKANT! in Moorsel **

Last edited:
Last edited:
HLN has a transcript of the PdV interview.

Some tidbits:

- last sunday Astrid and Lorenz were married for 35 years. Astrid: 'it is difficult for me to describe in words the place he has in my life, such a source of strength and support he is to me. My balance and my rock'.

Lorenz states that it is not easy to have all five children together at the same time. He says: they form the heart of our lives.

Astrid: We have always lived in function of them. Not a day passes when I do not speak to one or more of them on the phone. They tell me about their daily lives, and when difficulties cross their path they ask me: 'Mama, it is difficult, pray for me'. We give a lot of love and gets lots of it in return. My mother [Queen Paola] by the way calls us the 'Family Kiss'.

Astrid and Lorenz were in the hospital only twenty minutes after the birth of Maximilian. Amedeo received them. He commented on a remark that Astrid made 3 years ago: 'the more children a mother has, the bigger her heart'. He said: 'My father's heart just became bigger'.

Lorenz says that his grand daughter Anna Astrid is automatically the point of attention at any family meeting. She calls her grandparents Nonno en Ninou. The family even has its own WhatsApp group dedicated to the girl: the Anna Astrid fanclub.

Astrid comments that her granddaughter is always a joy. She adds that her husband makes a great grand father: 'Full of humor and he can put things in perspective like no-one else'. There is also a WhatsApp group for the five siblings to stay in touch. They help each other and exchange experiences. Their connection is particulary tight.

Lorenz says that he and his wife are convinced that self confidence is the most powerful gift they could give to their children. ' Our children want to be independent. They have chosen to work in banking, law, renewable energy or a big international organization. They understand how demanding and difficult the professional world is and realize they have to find their place in it.

Lorenz says that the thing he admires most in his wife is her empathy. ' Astrid gives a lot of herself, a lot of affection and love. She is also somebody who listens and encourages.
About her husband Astrid says: few people possess the gift of wonder and have the capacity to truly spread joy to those around them. We have the same taste, we often see things at the same time and when together we laugh a lot. I can truly say my husband is my best friend.

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty...tsoord-om-deze-wereld-aan-te-kunnen~a677bb90/

Last edited:
Lovely Pictures of Princess Asrid 's daughters with great dresses (loans ? )

Astrid and Lorentz seems to have created a close, happy family. There were rumours at the time that Astrid, because of her upbringing, had troubles connecting with her first children and that she had to learn how to love them. I'm glad that she seemingly have overcome that and turned into Ninou Kiss Kiss

"They have chosen to work in banking, law, renewable energy or a big international organization"

banking - Amedeo
law - Marie-Laura
renewable energy - Joachim
big international organization - Louisa-Maria?

Am I right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom