Princess Astrid, Prince Lorenz and Family - general questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Prince Amedeo will probably have to find a house for himself.

The palaces and houses in the Royal Trust are for use of the entire royal family, but first and foremost the King and his children. The royal family or Belgian government cannot provide houses for each of the twelve grandchildren of the King, that would be a bit much.

I'm not sure, but I think it was built shortly after Albert became King. Before that, Princess Astrid and her family lived in Switzerland, and when they returned at first they lived at Stuyvenberg. So I think it is no older than 15 years.

:previous:

I am not surprised. The house has a very "new" feel about it - perhaps something to do with the materials chosen for the exterior.

i just need to ask something... The king and queen of belgium has 12 grandchildren... Princess Elisabeth will one day become queen. And her future children will be titled: prince or princess of belgium. But like if ex: Maria-Laura or Louise have children , will they be prince or princess of belgium?. Like Amedeo and Joachim they are also archduke... So if they get children , will they be prince/ess of belgium???

This is a very good question...I've just checked in the Belgian Constitution, but it doesn't say anything regarding it.
Surely the children of Maria Laura and Louise Marie won't be Archdukes.

Surely the children of Maria Laura and Louise Marie won't be Archdukes.

Unless, of course, they marry a distant cousin who is also a member of the House of Habsburg. These things used to be much more common, but you never know.... :D

Oh, yes, of course...and it would be nice... :)

Will the future grandchildren of Princess Astrid have any titles??

The children of her sons (if their marriage is accepted by the Head of the Habsburg house, I think it has to be) will receive the Habsburg titles of course: Archduke/duchess of Austria-Este, and the son of Amedeo will carry on the title of Duke of Modena.
As for their daughters' children, I think that depends on the man they marry.

I don't know if the title "Prince(ss) of Belgium" is restricted to children and grandchildren of the reigning monarch or the crown prince. In any case, the title only emphasises that they are in line for the throne, it doesn't entitle them to any special priviliges.

The children of Amedeo and Joachim will (probably, if their marriage won't be morganatic) be Archdukes of Austria-Este, Royal Princes of Hungary and Bohemia; the eldest son of Amedeo will be also the titular Duke of Modena and Reggio, after Amedeo.

One more question. are Princess Astrid"s children allowed to marry commoners??

I don't know if the title "Prince(ss) of Belgium" is restricted to children and grandchildren of the reigning monarch or the crown prince. In any case, the title only emphasises that they are in line for the throne, it doesn't entitle them to any special priviliges.

No the Title Prince/Princess of Belgium is not limited. Since the change of the succession law it goes to all descendants of king Albert II. in both male and female line. But i think they have to do soemting about thius because otherwise Belgium will be flooted with Princes and Princesses in about 20 years. I think the best time for a change would be when the first grandchildren marry.

No the Title Prince/Princess of Belgium is not limited. Since the change of the succession law it goes to all descendants of king Albert II. in both male and female line. But i think they have to do soemting about thius because otherwise Belgium will be flooted with Princes and Princesses in about 20 years. I think the best time for a change would be when the first grandchildren marry.

Why do they have to do something about it? I dont see a problem if they all carry the title since they have the right to.

One more question. are Princess Astrid"s children allowed to marry commoners??
Well:

- As Princes of Belgium, they only need the permission of the King to marry and remain in the LoS, so they can marry commoners; btw, technically, in the last two belgian royal weddings, both the Princes Philippe and Laurent married two Princesses of Belgium, since both Mathilde and Claire have been created Princess of Belgium by the King the day before each wedding;
- As Archdukes of Austria, they need the permission of the Head of the Family (Archduke Karl); it is better if they marry at least noblemen/noblewomen, but in the last years the marriages of some Archdukes to commoners (AD Maximilian, AD Konrad, AD Philipp) have been allowed by the Head and therefore equal.

So, in both cases I think they can marry commoners without problems (but if they marry aristocrats is better...:whistling:)

Last edited:
Why do they have to do something about it? I dont see a problem if they all carry the title since they have the right to.

Usually the problem is linked to the allowances paid by the State to the Princes; but since in Belgium this will no longer be a problem, since only the children of the King and the Duke of Brabant will receive an allowance, there is no reason to limit the transmission of the title.

I think not that the present Princes and Princesses lose their Titles. But that their children don't vecome Princes and Pricnesses. The children of Pricness Astrid have their own Titles and for ther other the King could create an countly title or something like that. At the moment the King and Queen have 12 granchildren. If they all marry and have again 3-4 children wo will be Prince/Princess that are a lot.

I think not that the present Princes and Princesses lose their Titles. But that their children don't vecome Princes and Pricnesses. The children of Pricness Astrid have their own Titles and for ther other the King could create an countly title or something like that. At the moment the King and Queen have 12 granchildren. If they all marry and have again 3-4 children wo will be Prince/Princess that are a lot.

But , Prince Laurent is married to Claire and she is not noble...
And their children Louise , Nicolas and Aymeric.
Nicolas och Aymeric is only Prince of Belgium. And when they marry and have children , what will their childrens title be??
I mean.. Nicolas and Aymeric isent Archduke or something.
So their children must be Princess or Prince of Belgium??

But , Prince Laurent is married to Claire and she is not noble...
And their children Louise , Nicolas and Aymeric.
Nicolas och Aymeric is only Prince of Belgium. And when they marry and have children , what will their childrens title be??
I mean.. Nicolas and Aymeric isent Archduke or something.
So their children must be Princess or Prince of Belgium??

Will Prince Amedeos future wife be Princess of Belgium?

The title "Prince of Belgium" can't be transmitted by marriage; therefore his wife will be HRH Princess X of Belgium if the King will create her Princess of Belgium (like Mathilde and Claire), while if not she will be HRH Princess Amedeo of Belgium (like Lea, the widow of Prince Alexandre, usually called Princess Lea but her right title is Princess Alexandre of Belgium).

:previous: How about the spouses of Princess Astrid"s other kids and their future children?

About Joachim, as well as Nicolas and Aymeric, is the same of Amedeo;
About the three daughters, as well as their cousin Louise, I don't know, because it's a situation never happened before; the only one comparable to is the marriage of Astrid and Lorenz, but is however different, since Astrid was the daughter of the King and the second in the LoS; but according to the present law, nothing forbide but also nothing states that the husbands of the Princesses of Belgium have to be create Princes of Belgium.
Really, we only have to wait and see what will happen when one of King Albert and Queen Paola's granddaughters will marry.

Whats the wealth of Princess Astrid and her children??

I don't think that is known for sure. As far as I know, the princess receives a yearly dotation of around 300.000 euro, and her husband still works and sits in several management boards of important companies, for which he receives a salary. How much and what they actually own is not publicly known. I have also no idea as to how much Amedeo earns over there in NY. The other children do not work yet. The exact amount of their personal capital is kept private. I don't even know if their villa belongs to the Royal Trust or to them.

For Princes Amadeo and Joachim , they will remain Princes of Belgium and Archidukes of Habsbourg-Este their whole life.
The Princesses will remain their whole life R and I H.
We have last year the wedding of the oldest girl of Archichukes Christian and Marie-Christine with Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum.
At an important event I saw on their chairs:
Comte Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum
S.A.R.et I. la Comtesse Rodolphe de Limburg Stirum
Their coming children were no RH anymore.
It will be the same for Astrid's girls , for Princess Eleonore and Princess Louise.
Princess Elisabeth will be Crown Princess and her Grand-Father's death.

For Princes Amadeo and Joachim , they will remain Princes of Belgium and Archidukes of Habsbourg-Este their whole life.
The Princesses will remain their whole life R and I H.
We have last year the wedding of the oldest girl of Archichukes Christian and Marie-Christine with Count Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum.
At an important event I saw on their chairs:
Comte Rodolphe de Limburg-Stirum
S.A.R.et I. la Comtesse Rodolphe de Limburg Stirum
Their coming children were no RH anymore.
It will be the same for Astrid's girls , for Princess Eleonore and Princess Louise.
Princess Elisabeth will be Crown Princess and her Grand-Father's death.

Prince Amedeo is 7 in line to the belgian throne... When Princess Élisabeth becomes queen , he is at 5th (if you dont count Astrid in).
Then he is quite close to the "throne". But that means that he´s future children will become Princess of Belgium?
The only thing is dont now is Nicolas and Aymeric.. Everybody knows that they wont become King of the Belgians... They arent even close..
But if they have children .. Then they must have a title ..
Perhaps"name" de Belgique- without a title????

Will the future grandchildren be included in the line to the Belgian throne?

Back
Top Bottom