Prince Amedeo, Princess Elisabetta and Family, News and Events 1, July 2014- present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
800px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_Royal_House_of_Belgium.svg.png

Welcome to the 1st thread for Prince Amedeo of Belgium and Princess Elisabetta, Princess Anna-Astrid and Prince Maximilian current News and Pictures.

Please remember to follow the TRF posting guidelines and the copyright rules TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines :

- In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
- No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
- It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
- Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.

Last edited:
has lili gotten the title of princess now that she is married or will continue to be lili rosboch?

has lili gotten the title of princess now that she is married or will continue to be lili rosboch?

Wikipedia lists her as HI&RH Archduchess Elisabetta of Austria-Este in the BRF's info box. The Belgian RF's website isn't working for me at the moment, so I'm not sure what they say her title is. :flowers:

For the moment she was not also styled Princess of Belgium.

I, too, am intrigued by the thread title's reference to "Princess Elisabetta," as she does not possess that title by law, and to the best of my knowledge there has been no announcement from official quarters that she will be styled as a Princess of Belgium. However, if such an announcement has been issued, it would be appropriate to post here.

Wikipedia lists her as HI&RH Archduchess Elisabetta of Austria-Este in the BRF's info box. The Belgian RF's website isn't working for me at the moment, so I'm not sure what they say her title is. :flowers:

Elisabetta is not yet included as a family member in the Belgian royal family's website. It is indeed likely that she will style herself as HI&RH Archduchess Elisabetta, but not a certainty: Many Italian (and Belgian) women do not assume their husbands' names (or titles) after marriage.

Elisabetta is not yet included as a family member in the Belgian royal family's website. It is indeed likely that she will style herself as HI&RH Archduchess Elisabetta, but not a certainty: Many Italian (and Belgian) women do not assume their husbands' names (or titles) after marriage.

I do not think that it is likely to happen either - that Elisabetta will be included in the Belgian monarchy's website. They do not seem that keen on updating (only the events in the diary, the basic things) and even Prince Amedeo himself is only mentioned in the biographies of his parents.
Heck, the last official photos are from January 2013 for Queen Mathilde's 40th birthday.
As long as no official title is being made known (and I even doubt it will, since their wedding was considered a private occasion), I think it's best to just call her Elisabetta or Lili - even though that is now technically incorrect.

I, too, am intrigued by the thread title's reference to "Princess Elisabetta," as she does not possess that title by law, and to the best of my knowledge there has been no announcement from official quarters that she will be styled as a Princess of Belgium. However, if such an announcement has been issued, it would be appropriate to post here.

She doesn't possess the title by law indeed. However, neither do many other princesses (in Holland f.e. the van Oranje-Nassau van Vollenhoven princesses or even Laurentien). However, as the wife of a prince she may 'use' his title. just as women often use their husbands last name. Since Belgium has a 'princess Alexandre' I think the most likely option is that the court will refer to Elisabetta as 'Princess Amedeo', but at the moment we simply don't know.

However, if the Belgian court will provide more clarity on the issue & when they come to a different conclusion, we will change the title of this thread.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification; I concur that social - albeit not legal - usage of her husband's title is a likely, but unconfirmed, option.
As long as no official title is being made known (and I even doubt it will, since their wedding was considered a private occasion), I think it's best to just call her Elisabetta or Lili - even though that is now technically incorrect.

I agree, and I do not think it incorrect - she will surely retain her given name, no matter what surname or title she may use. ;)

We don't know a lot about their future life.
In his interview, King Albert II said that Amedeo has a now job in Belgium and that they bought a house .
Will Lili work in Belgium ??

Elisabetta and her mother were pictured shopping at the Vogue Fashion Night Out of Rome in Rome, Italy, yesterday evening, September 11, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

What would her surname be had she adopted Amedeo's?

I think that he and his siblings are using 'de Belgique', though I am not sure if that is their official last name.

Just checked and Amedeo de Belgique is also the name he uses on his Linkedin Profile.

From wikipedia:
The announcement of his engagement occurred in February 2014. No royal decree expressing dynastic authorisation for his marriage was gazetted in the Moniteur Belge prior to his 5 July 2014 wedding, as foreseen in Article 85 of the Belgian Constitution, nor has a subsequent official communication on the matter been issued. A commentator on the military parade for La Une on 21 July 2014 (Belgian National Day) explained that no royal authorisation was announced because Amedeo intentionally chose not to request permission to marry, and therefore Amedeo is no longer to be considered in the line of succession, however that interpretation has been confirmed by neither the royal household nor government.

does anyone know something about this?

Is it correct to call Elisabetta princess as in Belgium you have to be titled princess to be able to be a princess of Belgium?

Prince Amedeo and Princess Elisabetta, News and Events Part 1, July 2014- pre...

From wikipedia:

I didn't know about this, but I've got to say that it doesn't surprise me, there was no news that she would be made a princess of Belgium, it wasn't discussed at all, even after the government was formed, if it's true I would really like to know why Amedeo chose not be in the line of succession anymore.

I didn't know about this, but I've got to say that it doesn't surprise me, there was no news that she would be made a princess of Belgium, it wasn't discussed at all, even after the government was formed, if it's true I would really like to know why Amedeo chose not be in the line of succession anymore.

If he is no longer in the line of succession, is he still a prince of Belgium or has he been also stripped of his title ?

From wikipedia:
The announcement of his engagement occurred in February 2014. No royal decree expressing dynastic authorisation for his marriage was gazetted in the Moniteur Belge prior to his 5 July 2014 wedding, as foreseen in Article 85 of the Belgian Constitution, nor has a subsequent official communication on the matter been issued. A commentator on the military parade for La Une on 21 July 2014 (Belgian National Day) explained that no royal authorisation was announced because Amedeo intentionally chose not to request permission to marry, and therefore Amedeo is no longer to be considered in the line of succession, however that interpretation has been confirmed by neither the royal household nor government.

It is correct that a prince (or princess) of Belgium who marries without the legal consent of the king loses his (or her) place in the line of succession. From the Belgian Constitution:

Sera déchu de ses droits à la couronne, le prince qui se serait marié sans le consentement du Roi ou de ceux qui, à son défaut, exercent ses pouvoirs dans les cas prévus par la Constitution.
Google translation: "Be deprived of his right to the crown, the prince who marries without the consent of the King or those who, in his absence, exercising its powers as provided by the Constitution."

Is it correct to call Elisabetta princess as in Belgium you have to be titled princess to be able to be a princess of Belgium?

To the best of my knowledge, neither the Belgian court nor the Belgian government have clarified her social title (if any). The only certainty is that she does not have a legal Belgian title.

If he is no longer in the line of succession, is he still a prince of Belgium or has he been also stripped of his title ?
No, losing one's place in the line of succession does not strip a prince (or princess) of his (or her) title.

So basically Amedeo and Elisabetta are now in the same situation as the late Prince Alexander and wife: no succession rights (which hopefully won't be an issue) and she legally isn't a Princess of Belgium.
But really, it wouldn't be that terrible if the Belgian Court issued some clarification.

Wiki calls he 'HI&RH Archduchess Elisabetta'

Prince Amedeo and Princess Elisabetta, News and Events Part 1, July 2014- pre...

A Belgian princess or not she must be an archduchess of Habsburg-Este right?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:

A Belgian princess or not she must be an archduchess of Habsburg-Este right?

Oh d... I did it again!!

So basically Amedeo and Elisabetta are now in the same situation as the late Prince Alexander and wife: no succession rights (which hopefully won't be an issue) and she legally isn't a Princess of Belgium.

Titlewise, Lili Rosboch's situation is a new one. The title Princess of Belgium was automatically received by wives of Princes of Belgium before December 15, 1991, and so Prince Alexander's wife legally is a princess by marriage, while Mathilde and Claire are legally princesses by royal decree.

But really, it wouldn't be that terrible if the Belgian Court issued some clarification.
Indeed. :)

Wiki calls he 'HI&RH Archduchess Elisabetta'

So far as I'm aware, she hasn't publicly used that title herself. (The Belgian court normally styles Amedeo and his siblings "HRH" and "Prince(ss) NN of Belgium.")

It just strikes me as odd that Amedeo would deliberately not seek permission from his uncle the king, and from the government. It would almost certainly have not been denied. The bride's family, reputation, and lineage are practically tailor made for the Belgian RF.

Amedeo has never seemed like the rebellious type. Maybe he just realizes that Philippe's line is so secure that the chances he would ever be needed anyway are nil...so he didn't bother?

It just strikes me as odd that Amedeo would deliberately not seek permission from his uncle the king, and from the government. It would almost certainly have not been denied. The bride's family, reputation, and lineage are practically tailor made for the Belgian RF.

Amedeo has never seemed like the rebellious type. Maybe he just realizes that Philippe's line is so secure that the chances he would ever be needed anyway are nil...so he didn't bother?

Didn't that happen with some of the sons of Margriet of the Netherlands? They knew they where so far down the line of succession that they didn't bother to have their marriages approved by the government?

My knowledge of Dutch Royal history is practically nil. The go-to posters for this would be Marengo or lucien. Both have encyclopedic expertise here;)!

Didn't that happen with some of the sons of Margriet of the Netherlands? They knew they where so far down the line of succession that they didn't bother to have their marriages approved by the government?

Princess Margriet's two youngest sons, Pieter-Christiaan and Floris, both did not seek approval from the government for their marriages as chance of them succeeding to the throne was very remote. Once their cousin become King, they would have been removed from the succession anyway due to the degree of kinship clause.

Amedeo might have thought along similar lines - there are five people before him in the line of succession, so it is unlikely he will ever become King.

Or he did seek/receive permission, but no official communication has been released (oddly).

Back
Top Bottom