Former Nanny Criticizes Princess Astrid's Parenting Skills - Apr. 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the pictures I've seen of Astrid and her children they seem to adore her and she seems just as taken with them just any like other mother would be with her children.

:previous: but photos can be deceiving. no one really knows what happens after the photos are taken.

no i don't agree there....somehow when you look at the pictures of the family you can sense a kind of warmth emanating from them...either that or that is one terrific group of actors there

I have to agree with indian princess there, you can see it clearly when she is looking at her kids.

I just rememberd seeing a picture of PAstrid as a teenager with her mom then the princess of Liege, and although they are similar in looks, PAstrid lacked so much self confidence, her whole bodylanguage showed it. It is just recently that she has built up her self confidence. Her uneasiness with her mother was so aparant. I beleive it takes years to undo the harm done when not having a mother who is emotionally available to you. I am talking from experience...:cry::cry::cry:

I just rememberd seeing a picture of PAstrid as a teenager with her mom then the princess of Liege, and although they are similar in looks, PAstrid lacked so much self confidence, her whole bodylanguage showed it. It is just recently that she has built up her self confidence. Her uneasiness with her mother was so aparant. I beleive it takes years to undo the harm done when not having a mother who is emotionally available to you. I am talking from experience...:cry::cry::cry:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that...I agree with you completely.

There is a very sad, very telling photograph of Princess Astrid from 1976. It was first printed in Point de Vue to mark either the 25th wedding celebrations for Fabiola and Baudouin, or the 26th anniversary of Baudouin's succession.

Anyway, in the photo the entire Belgian RF are walking together in the park at Laeken...in the center are Baudouin/Fabiola holding hands as usual and looking as happy as could be. Surrounding the Royal couple are Albert, Paola and their three children. Paola and Albert are standing as far apart as possible(I think this was during their estrangement) and there is at least a foot of space between each of the Royal children-Philippe, Astrid and Laurent. None of them are smiling. Astrid is sort of staring at her feet while walking.

It is such a sad, ironic photo in many ways..Albert and Paola, the beautiful golden couple with their three healthy children and they all look miserable and are standing as far apart as possible.

Baudouin and Fabiola, who were so desperate for children and were denied their wish but as close and united as a couple could be.

I wish I knew how to scan photos so I could show you.

I don't know if I would agree with that, Queen Paola as Princess Liege was a detached mother... I meant, she herself was from a big Italian family, whose members are normally quite close to each other, like she and her own mother Countess Luisa... Like mother, like daughter, as it's said. I should think she would not be too much different. And from many pics, we could still see she's a mother who doted on her children, and was beloved of them as well... :)

But anyway, we could definitely see that she's a loving grandma now. ;)

There is a very sad, very telling photograph of Princess Astrid from 1976. It was first printed in Point de Vue to mark either the 25th wedding celebrations for Fabiola and Baudouin, or the 26th anniversary of Baudouin's succession.

Anyway, in the photo the entire Belgian RF are walking together in the park at Laeken...in the center are Baudouin/Fabiola holding hands as usual and looking as happy as could be. Surrounding the Royal couple are Albert, Paola and their three children. Paola and Albert are standing as far apart as possible(I think this was during their estrangement) and there is at least a foot of space between each of the Royal children-Philippe, Astrid and Laurent. None of them are smiling. Astrid is sort of staring at her feet while walking.

It is such a sad, ironic photo in many ways..Albert and Paola, the beautiful golden couple with their three healthy children and they all look miserable and are standing as far apart as possible.

Baudouin and Fabiola, who were so desperate for children and were denied their wish but as close and united as a couple could be.

I wish I knew how to scan photos so I could show you.

Interesting post.

I am glad Astrid feels more confident now but I wonder how much she desired to be Fabiola's child instead of Paola's, when she was a teenager.

Astrid's children seem much more at ease with their mother than Astrid with felt with Paola, so I guess Astrid gave (give) them enough atention.

I don't mean to rehash this topic, but one of the earlier posters mentioned that perhaps Astrid was not a baby-person. I agree. I have never believed that Princess Astrid did not completely and genuinely love her children. Maybe she really wasn't a baby-person. I do not have children, but I love children. At the same time, I am not wild about babies. Maybe Astrid was dealing with some depression after each of her births, and this gave the nanny an impression that she didn't enjoy her babies. Either way, I think that it was not appropriate for the nanny to criticize Astrid the way that she did.

Nannies should't be there to raise children, nannies should be there to take care of them just for the time the parents are out! If there really was a trip to New York when the little child was only 10 days than Princess Astrid's obligation was to take her child with her!!!! Doesn't she brestfeed her?? Doesn't she miss her own daughter? Did we saw any other Princess working just 10 days after gaving birth? I don't think so!!! So maybe all these accusations are true! I feel very annoyed when I see all these royal kidsalways with nannies around them:bang:

I don't mean to rehash this topic, but one of the earlier posters mentioned that perhaps Astrid was not a baby-person. I agree. I have never believed that Princess Astrid did not completely and genuinely love her children. Maybe she really wasn't a baby-person. I do not have children, but I love children. At the same time, I am not wild about babies. Maybe Astrid was dealing with some depression after each of her births, and this gave the nanny an impression that she didn't enjoy her babies. Either way, I think that it was not appropriate for the nanny to criticize Astrid the way that she did.

I am exactly the same way...I adore children and babies but small infants make me uncomfortable. I am not the least bit ashamed to admit that if I had had children and could have afforded it, I would have employed a baby nurse. I don't think that it's wrong as long as the nurse does only rudimentary, basic things(changing diapers etc) and leaves the real mothering to the mother...waking up at night when children are sick or afraid, supervisoring their education and religious upbringing, nurturing them, etc.

I have seen many photos of Princess Astrid with her children and there is not one that I have seen that suggests she was or is aloof with her children...ever since Princess Diana people seem to have gotten the strange idea that if one is not pictured drooling and fawning over one's children at all times they are an aloof or bad parent. Look what happened to Sarah Ferguson...she was savaged by the press as a bad parent when her children were young but in my opinion Beatrice and Eugenie are among the most balanced and well brought up kids in the BRF.

Nannies should't be there to raise children, nannies should be there to take care of them just for the time the parents are out! If there really was a trip to New York when the little child was only 10 days than Princess Astrid's obligation was to take her child with her!!!! Doesn't she brestfeed her?? Doesn't she miss her own daughter? Did we saw any other Princess working just 10 days after gaving birth? I don't think so!!! So maybe all these accusations are true! I feel very annoyed when I see all these royal kidsalways with nannies around them:bang:

Astrid most probably missed her daughter, but sometimes long trips are not good for small children. Remember that long flights are stressful and boring for children. And when babies and parents arrive to the place, babies won't be paying attencion to anything. They still don't have enough capacity to enjoy the visit. All they understand is that they are not at home.
I think nannies can be very useful to parents. Of course a mother is always The mother, but a helpful hand won't be a bad choise sometimes.

How I wish that story of Joachim waiting for his mother to kiss him goodnight is true... Although it is a very sad story, I still hope that it is true. I think it's a very adorable anecdote of him. Such a cute baby (he is like that to me until now xD

Quoted from: Moomaiden23
For example I never see Philippe and Astrid being as affectionate with their own mother as they are to dowager Queen Fabiola who reportedly doted on them when they were children...
If that is true, then the late Queen Fabiola would’ve been close to Astrid’s children, too. I think she was because from photos I saw of her funeral, there’s one of Joachim crying and Maria Laura was beside him with swollen eyes (from crying). She looked devastated. Laetitia also looked sad. I haven’t seen Amedeo looking sad because I haven’t checked all photos of them from that day but I assume he was saddened, too.
Quoted from: Moomaiden23
…ever since Princess Diana people seem to have gotten the strange idea that if one is not pictured drooling and fawning over one's children at all times they are an aloof or bad parent.
Indeed. Lucky for Diana, her affection for her children got much photographed and taken credit of as she was a Princess of Wales while Princess Astrid is a Princess of Belgium/Archduchess of Austria-Este who was more private and doesn’t stir so much interest like Diana. I am sure if we’d go through the family albums of Astrid & Lorenz, we could say she’d been as good as Diana (or even better – look at how her children grow up!) As a fan of Diana, I read a lot of info and several books about her and I could say she also had some flaws in being a mother (which I don’t want to discuss about in this thread).

Hahaha, I’m thankful the nanny’s name has been mentioned. If I’d have the opportunity, I’d hunt her down and press for her to tell me all about Joachim, Amedeo, Maria Laura and Luisa Maria...yay if only I'd have that opportunity (-_-)

Thanks for that link, Lee-Z! btw, that news of the nanny apologizing for what she said has been mentioned in the 2nd page of this thread. Nevertheless, many thanks!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom