The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Princess Astrid, Archduke Lorenz and their family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Gosh all this is just ons person's view and loads of mother's are not baby people. Me as an example but we are who we are and the childen appear wellbalanced loved and cared for some people are vv judgemental and cause lots of damage and the purpuse of all this nanny's raving is....... what. No it is a hoorible state of affairs to have to defend a private life as a parent BAD FORM nanny.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I am curious what is going on in the Kingdom of Belgium. It seems to me that each citizen has ganged up against the Royal family. Like many members in this thread, I am curious why a former nanny has decided to share her personal opinion about the parenting skills of Princess Astrid. She is supposed to be a professional and avoid sharing her opinion about her employer. If she does not seeks her 15 minutes of fame, what is it she is after?

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quick translation of the article that stephanie posted:

in a mail to the palace, Els Vandewijngaerden apologised to Princess Astrid and her family. She said the did not expect the negative sphere of the article and she said that she never said that princess Astrid was a bad mother. She just wanted to point out that she had difficulties with Astrid being away so frequently which caused the children to miss their mother.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Even though the nanny has apologized, she states she had trouble with the Princess being away frequently and it bothered the children, that's not much of an apology and it still bolstered the negative image of Princess Astrid. The children appear happy and loving toward both parents.
I find it suspicious too that this information has surfaced so far after the fact and against one of the popular members of the Royal Family.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Serene Highness

this is one of the risks that happen when mothers are too busy and children see their nannies more often than their parents: the children become too attached to the nanny because they feel closer to the latter, what with their parents unavailable for them to talk to. maybe this is what the nanny felt, and maybe it didn't help either that Astrid did not have a good example to follow in raising her own children. it's a no-win situation they've got.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:16 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Astrid's children seem to be happy, relaxed and quite normal children.
What I think it's that if this nanny had the royal children in her heart, as she says, she wouldn't tell all this to the newspapers. I don't think any child likes to read these things about his own mother.
She can tells whatever she wants, it's a right she has, but saying that she Loves the children doesn't seem very honest from her.

I doubt she was searching for Fame... I think she feels sorry and irritated because maybe Astrid never thanked her as she desired. "Oh I did so much for her children... when she was out, I was always there, and she never thanked me properly! So now, I'm going to tell how bad she is as a mother!!"
I don't say she wanted more money but maybe some kind of recognition for her work...
It's strange she mentions Astrid but she doesn't have a (good or bad) word about Astrid's husband behaviour as a father.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Aristocracy

yes...i was wondering that too...she's made no mention of how lorenze is as a father...
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Quick translation of the article that stephanie posted:

in a mail to the palace, Els Vandewijngaerden apologised to Princess Astrid and her family. She said the did not expect the negative sphere of the article and she said that she never said that princess Astrid was a bad mother. She just wanted to point out that she had difficulties with Astrid being away so frequently which caused the children to miss their mother.
It seems to me that it is when someone is away frequently for work that they need nannies in the first place

I would say that everybody parents differently - and some people do work untraditional hours so that nannies are needed to help things go 'round.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I don't think that the nanny wants her 15 minutes of fame or that she is bter, she doesn't come across as a bitter woman in the article IMO. Just somewhat amazed by the way Princess Astrid is parenting, thats all.

And the information is not that shocking either,. we all knew that Astrid and her siblings had very detached parents in their childhood, we know she has nannies and such, and that all this caused a different approach to motherhood is only to be expected.

I agree about Paola and Albert as parents...apparently there was a period of time when they were occupying separate wings of Belvedere Palace and leading completely different lives. That had to be very tough on Astrid, Philippe and Laurent. Astrid is reported to have sadly told a friend(when she was a young girl) that at her house "nobody speaks to anybody". Very sad.

By the time Albert and Paola had reconciled and re-committed to their marriage the children were mostly all grown up. And Albert and Paola seem very close now, but I have to admit I don't see a deep bond of affection with any of their children. For example I never see Philippe and Astrid being as affectionate with their own mother as they are to dowager Queen Fabiola who reportedly doted on them when they were children.

Happily, none of this seems to have affected their ability to be good parents. Philippe in particular seems to be crazy about his wife and young children.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Majesty

This former nanny has apologised to HI&RH Princess Astrid and the Belgian RF.

The Benelux Royals Message Board: Former nanny of Astrid's children apologizes

Courtesy chèr Cathérine,BRMB.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Aristocracy

From the pictures I've seen of Astrid and her children they seem to adore her and she seems just as taken with them just any like other mother would be with her children.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Serene Highness

but photos can be deceiving. no one really knows what happens after the photos are taken.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Aristocracy

no i don't agree there....somehow when you look at the pictures of the family you can sense a kind of warmth emanating from them...either that or that is one terrific group of actors there
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Aristocracy

I have to agree with indian princess there, you can see it clearly when she is looking at her kids.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

I just rememberd seeing a picture of PAstrid as a teenager with her mom then the princess of Liege, and although they are similar in looks, PAstrid lacked so much self confidence, her whole bodylanguage showed it. It is just recently that she has built up her self confidence. Her uneasiness with her mother was so aparant. I beleive it takes years to undo the harm done when not having a mother who is emotionally available to you. I am talking from experience...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I just rememberd seeing a picture of PAstrid as a teenager with her mom then the princess of Liege, and although they are similar in looks, PAstrid lacked so much self confidence, her whole bodylanguage showed it. It is just recently that she has built up her self confidence. Her uneasiness with her mother was so aparant. I beleive it takes years to undo the harm done when not having a mother who is emotionally available to you. I am talking from experience...

I thought I was the only one who noticed that...I agree with you completely.

There is a very sad, very telling photograph of Princess Astrid from 1976. It was first printed in Point de Vue to mark either the 25th wedding celebrations for Fabiola and Baudouin, or the 26th anniversary of Baudouin's succession.

Anyway, in the photo the entire Belgian RF are walking together in the park at Laeken...in the center are Baudouin/Fabiola holding hands as usual and looking as happy as could be. Surrounding the Royal couple are Albert, Paola and their three children. Paola and Albert are standing as far apart as possible(I think this was during their estrangement) and there is at least a foot of space between each of the Royal children-Philippe, Astrid and Laurent. None of them are smiling. Astrid is sort of staring at her feet while walking.

It is such a sad, ironic photo in many ways..Albert and Paola, the beautiful golden couple with their three healthy children and they all look miserable and are standing as far apart as possible.

Baudouin and Fabiola, who were so desperate for children and were denied their wish but as close and united as a couple could be.

I wish I knew how to scan photos so I could show you.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Gentry

I don't know if I would agree with that, Queen Paola as Princess Liege was a detached mother... I meant, she herself was from a big Italian family, whose members are normally quite close to each other, like she and her own mother Countess Luisa... Like mother, like daughter, as it's said. I should think she would not be too much different. And from many pics, we could still see she's a mother who doted on her children, and was beloved of them as well... :)

But anyway, we could definitely see that she's a loving grandma now.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post

There is a very sad, very telling photograph of Princess Astrid from 1976. It was first printed in Point de Vue to mark either the 25th wedding celebrations for Fabiola and Baudouin, or the 26th anniversary of Baudouin's succession.

Anyway, in the photo the entire Belgian RF are walking together in the park at Laeken...in the center are Baudouin/Fabiola holding hands as usual and looking as happy as could be. Surrounding the Royal couple are Albert, Paola and their three children. Paola and Albert are standing as far apart as possible(I think this was during their estrangement) and there is at least a foot of space between each of the Royal children-Philippe, Astrid and Laurent. None of them are smiling. Astrid is sort of staring at her feet while walking.

It is such a sad, ironic photo in many ways..Albert and Paola, the beautiful golden couple with their three healthy children and they all look miserable and are standing as far apart as possible.

Baudouin and Fabiola, who were so desperate for children and were denied their wish but as close and united as a couple could be.

I wish I knew how to scan photos so I could show you.
Interesting post.

I am glad Astrid feels more confident now but I wonder how much she desired to be Fabiola's child instead of Paola's, when she was a teenager.

Astrid's children seem much more at ease with their mother than Astrid with felt with Paola, so I guess Astrid gave (give) them enough atention.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't mean to rehash this topic, but one of the earlier posters mentioned that perhaps Astrid was not a baby-person. I agree. I have never believed that Princess Astrid did not completely and genuinely love her children. Maybe she really wasn't a baby-person. I do not have children, but I love children. At the same time, I am not wild about babies. Maybe Astrid was dealing with some depression after each of her births, and this gave the nanny an impression that she didn't enjoy her babies. Either way, I think that it was not appropriate for the nanny to criticize Astrid the way that she did.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nannies should't be there to raise children, nannies should be there to take care of them just for the time the parents are out! If there really was a trip to New York when the little child was only 10 days than Princess Astrid's obligation was to take her child with her!!!! Doesn't she brestfeed her?? Doesn't she miss her own daughter? Did we saw any other Princess working just 10 days after gaving birth? I don't think so!!! So maybe all these accusations are true! I feel very annoyed when I see all these royal kidsalways with nannies around them

Tags
astrid (1962-), controversy, nannies, princess astrid