Prince Laurent, Princess Claire & Family - News & Events, Part 6; Dec 2016 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH Prince Laurent of Belgium is really a remarkable person...

He was guest of honour at the Concours Reine Elisabeth 2017. This year´s concours was dedicated to the cello. The Prince was well-prepared: he took two yellow noise dempers with him, put it in his ears and had a good sleep in the royal loge...

Picture

:ohmy:

I saw that on the live broadcast of the final. It was really shameful. He complains he has not public engagements as in the past and when he does he behaves like a child...
I don't care if he doesn't like contemporary classical music, in that moment he was representing the king and should have behaved accordingly. At least, to show some respect for those who were competing and performing on the stage.

Well, there is nothing new under the sun. Prince Laurent during the Défilé on the Fête Nationale: picture and picture. Imagine music bands and military detachements passing by in the summer heat (always on July 21st) and a royal prince just Zzzzzz Zzzzzz.

Haha, somewhere it is funny.

Last edited:
I really want to root for Laurent. I feel sad for him, and he has a truly lovely family. He actively espouses causes that are close to my own heart, like homelessness and animal welfare.

But sticking earplugs into his ears and sleeping in full view?! I simply cannot believe my eyes.:eek: I can't begin to understand how that man's mind works sometimes!:ermm:

Last edited:

Prince Laurent and Princess Claire attended the Jumping VIVAT! 2017 in Duisburg on June 24. The event is organized by the Belgian Defence in support of the foundation VIVAT! for the benefit of children with disabilities and the staff of the Defence:

** Pic **

He looks very much like his father King Albert II in the above photos.

Prince Laurent has done it again...

Without informing the Government he went to a reception at the Chinese Embassy, dressed in his uniform of Captain of the Belgian Navy. The reception was for the 90th anniversary of the Chinese People's Army.

The Belgian Government was "not amused" and Premier Charles Michel has announced he wants to cut the Prince's apanage for 2017 as a punishment. (The Prince has been warned before not to attend official events without notice to the Government, with a reduction of his apanage as a possible measure).

Picture of the Prince at the Chinese Embassy in Brussels

Link: http://www.lesoir.be/108192/article...ourrait-perdre-une-partie-de-sa-dotation-2017

Prince Laurent has done it again...

Without informing the Government he went to a reception at the Chinese Embassy, dressed in his uniform of Captain of the Belgian Navy. The reception was for the 90th anniversary of the Chinese People's Army.

The Belgian Government was "not amused" and Premier Charles Michel has announced he wants to cut the Prince's apanage for 2017 as a punishment. (The Prince has been warned before not to attend official events without notice to the Government, with a reduction of his apanage as a possible measure).

Picture of the Prince at the Chinese Embassy in Brussels

Link: http://www.lesoir.be/108192/article...ourrait-perdre-une-partie-de-sa-dotation-2017

Again it's not the prince's job to notice the Government it's the job of his staff to to do that.

No way. The Prince, and not his Household, is accountable to the Government.

He is the one who is accountable to the Government but it is the job of his Household to notice the Government not his i wouldn't imagine the princess royal would herself go ask permission from the Government when ever she have an event with foreign officials or attending official events.

He is the one who is accountable to the Government but it is the job of his Household to notice the Government not his i wouldn't imagine the princess royal would herself go ask permission from the Government when ever she have an event with foreign officials or attending official events.

The Prince is responsible for his Household. It is not the secretary, or the maid, or the cook who gets the slap on the fingers. They are not the ones in a "contract with the State" and they are not the ones which receive the annual payments.

The Prince is responsible for his Household. It is not the secretary, or the maid, or the cook who gets the slap on the fingers. They are not the ones in a "contract with the State" and they are not the ones which receive the annual payments.

Okay so if i went to a hospital to have a medical operation and something went wrong and it was the doctor's fault would i sue the hospital only as they are responsible for their doctors and staff or would i sue both of the hospital which is responsible for their staff and the doctor who have done something wrong?!

Last edited:
Belgium’s Prince Laurent, brother of King Philippe, sparked criticism for attending an event to mark the 90th anniversary of the founding of China’s People’s Liberation Army — despite being told by the government not to take part in diplomatic meetings without its permission.

Prime Minister Charles Michel forbade the prince last December from talks with senior foreign officials without informing the government after a series of controversial meetings, including one with the prime minister of Sri Lanka. Michel warned Prince Laurent his annual salary of €308,000 was at risk.

Laurent, who posted a picture of the event at the Chinese embassy on Twitter last week, said he attended after receiving a personal invitation.

Hendrik Vuye, an independent MP, pledged to ask parliamentary questions. “The king needs parliamentary approval for all meetings with foreign officials, but the rules for princes are unclear,” he said.
Read more: Belgian prince defies ban to attend Chinese army event – POLITICO

Again it's not the prince's job to notice the Government it's the job of his staff to to do that.

I suppose that two cases should be differentiated. The one case is if Prince Laurent didn't care to notice the Government of the invitation he received and/or didn't care to ask to his staff to do so; in this case I don't think that the staff should be blamed but that the Prince should be.
The other case is if Prince Laurent told someone of his staff to notice the Government of the invitation he received and that member of the staff - for whatever reason - didn't do. In this case I agree that the staff member should be blamed, but probably also the Prince for not checking the actions of his staff.

He posted these pictures on his own twitter , how dangerous may the tweets be.
To him it was a private invitation ; but he is wearing an uniform.
The Belgian Parlement is on holiday , we have to wait its Reaction in September

I can't beleive that after all the warnings he got he still does it !!!!!

He posted these pictures on his own twitter , how dangerous may the tweets be.
To him it was a private invitation ; but he is wearing an uniform.
The Belgian Parlement is on holiday , we have to wait its Reaction in September

And the explosive thing, besides that the Government was not informed: that the Prince wore an uniform of the Belgian Navy to attend a reception in honour of the Chinese People's Army. When it was a NATO-ally, like a visit to the British or the Spanish armed forces, allez.... But this was a visit to the Chinese People's Army, an ill-famed army for the many violations against human rights, think about the occupation of Tibet, think about the bloody oppression of the protests at Tiananmen Square, etc...

The Prince seems not to have any antenna at all for open nerves to be avoided. I think neither the Prince's Household nor his spouse (or his siblings, or his parents) have any influence on him.

:sad:

Last edited:
Its even made it onto the Daily Mail website in the UK
Belgian prince causes stir on visit to Chinese embassy | Daily Mail Online

Though they make it sound as if Laurent has already been told he will loose some of his allowance.

Prince Laurent of Belgium has caused a royal scandal after revealing he attended celebrations to mark the founding of the Chinese army.
The prince, who is the younger brother of King Philippe, posted photos of himself attending the event online despite being banned by Prime Minister Charles Michel.
Mr Michel issued a decree last December barring Prince Laurent from attending any talks with senior foreign officials without informing the government after a series of controversial meetings, including with the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka.

Same on the UK's Daily Telegraph website - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...rinces-twitter-blunder-could-lead-salary-cut/

The brother of the Belgian king faces having his salary cut after a Twitter blunder exposed his flouting of a ban on meeting foreign dignitaries without government permission.

Prince Laurent attended the celebration of 90 years since the founding of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army at Beijing’s embassy in Brussels before tweeting photos of the event to his 4,797 followers. He was also photographed in military uniform flanked with decorated Chinese officers.

Laurent ignored warnings that his £208,000 salary could be slashed if he persisted in meeting senior foreign officials without approval. Charles Michel, Belgium’s prime minister, imposed the ban after a string of controversial meetings, including with the prime minister of Sri Lanka.

Last edited:
The problem is that some political parties like the separatist NVA (by far the biggest party in Flanders and in Belgium) wants to end the current donation system which means that Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent keep receiving a donation for the rest of their life, even when the children of the King all have reached adulthood.

The new Belgian systematic follows the Dutch example:
- the present king
- the future king
- the former king
(and their spouses) are receivers of a donation.

Out of courtesy and because Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent have always received a donation, the Government did not want to end this. The NVA was never amused with this, pointing that it could mean the Belgian taxpayer still funding Astrid and Laurent for four more decades or so.

Like with the previous faults (going to Rwanda, Sri Lanka and Libya without notice) again the NVA makes a plea to scrap their whole donations. This would mean that Laurent not only inflicts financial damage on his Household, but also his exemplaric sister will feel such a drastic step. Anyway, for so far the other parties seem satisfied when the State withdraws part of Laurent's donation.

Is it official ? Will he lose part of his donation ?

Why is Laurent so determined to embarrass his family and bite the hand that quite literally feeds him?:bang:

I wonder if he is in regular contact with Prince Henrik of Denmark, as his apprentice perhaps?:cool::sad:

Last edited:
The problem is that some political parties like the separatist NVA (by far the biggest party in Flanders and in Belgium) wants to end the current donation system which means that Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent keep receiving a donation for the rest of their life, even when the children of the King all have reached adulthood.

The new Belgian systematic follows the Dutch example:
- the present king
- the future king
- the former king
(and their spouses) are receivers of a donation.

Out of courtesy and because Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent have always received a donation, the Government did not want to end this. The NVA was never amused with this, pointing that it could mean the Belgian taxpayer still funding Astrid and Laurent for four more decades or so.

Like with the previous faults (going to Rwanda, Sri Lanka and Libya without notice) again the NVA makes a plea to scrap their whole donations. This would mean that Laurent not only inflicts financial damage on his Household, but also his exemplaric sister will feel such a drastic step. Anyway, for so far the other parties seem satisfied when the State withdraws part of Laurent's donation.

That is why, IMO, the PM needs to take action against Laurent otherwise it will increase the rhetoric to scrap the allowance for Laurent AND Astrid. TBH I wish a politician would have the courage simply to say well Astrid undertakes Economic Missions and other other duties while Laurent just causes embarrassment so we are cutting him off but continuing to honour payments to Astrid.

Laurent is behaving like a child IMO pushing boundaries. He knew he got into trouble before for meeting foreign dignitaries and indeed, new rules were put in place stating in future anyone doing so may lose part of their allowance. In other words - he knew the rules all to well - he then broke them. The only thing that can happen now is for the promised consequence to be applied.
Laurent claims he was "simply responding to a personal invitation" if so why attend in military uniform? That makes it above personal

Last edited:
I am so sorry for his wife and the kids. His behaviour is often ashaming for his Family espacially for his wife. On Fotos she often Looks tired. I hope for her that Prince Laurent behaves himself in the future.

God!! sometimes people react to him like he sold military secrets to a foreign enemy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom