The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

HRH Prince Laurent has to explain his attitude to The Prime Minister Charles Michel and Minister of Foreign Affairs Didier Reynders.
Speech of the Prime Minister to day at the Parliament.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 AM
Majesty

That is the right way. Request an audience with the Prince and talk with him. When Prince Laurent has the feeling Premier Minister Michel is taking him an sérieux indeed, maybe he will ease a bit.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Duc , with Laurents "humeurs" he cannot work officially ike your Princes the late Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ns-bugging-him

"Belgian Prince under fire after hitting out at politicians 'bugging' him"
Old 12-10-2016, 04:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Duc , with Laurents "humeurs" he cannot work officially ike your Princes the late Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn.
Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn never received a single centime from the State and pursued an independent career, away from the Royal House. From the very beginning it was clear they did not aim for a royal role at all.

Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent are from a different generation. This arrangement was made. I think the Prince has some point when he claims that some politicians and media only ridicule him, while he indeed has tried to do his best for animal welfare and sustainable energy.

Of course he has made mistakes. His eccentric behaviour easily distracted public opinion. I have the feeling that it would help when the Premier Ministre would speak like this: "Monseigneur, I am your friend. I am not here to punish you. I only want to help and to encourage you." Then Laurent realizes he indeed has someone at the Wetstraat/Rue de la Loi he can rely on. I have the feeling the whole behaviour from the Prince finds its origin in not be taken au sérieux. That can really hurt someone.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
He seems to be the only one who believes this. He is constantly whining he hasn't enough money and a few years ago he claimed that Astrid can afford to lose the dotation but he can't. He needs the dotation and he knows it.

It has nothing to do with Astrid being collatoral damage of Laurent's behaviour. I think it's not desirable to fund members of the RF other than the king, the queen, the CP and retired monarchs.
I agree with only financing the King, Queen and CP and maybe even the retired monarchs but I don't think it fair to take away the donation from Astrid and Laurent based on that. They have had a donation for many many years and now to take it away from them for essentially PR reasons is unfair. However, the new rules imposed do exactly that, in future only the sovereigns and CP will be funded.

However, with Laurent I feel something needs to be done. HE consistently gets into all sorts of problems and breaks the rules but time and time again takes the attitude that there is nothing anyone can do about it. Well maybe the Government or the King need to start fining him - you go meet another country's leader without permission, thats 10,000 Euro from your donation. Maybe then he will learn.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:20 AM
Courtier

doesn't he have a staff or assistants that would have sent the request on his behalf for the prime minister ?!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Prince Laurent attended the award ceremony of the Henri LA FONTAINE 2016 Prize for Humanism at the Parliament of the Federation Wallonie-Bruxelles in Brussels yesterday, December 9:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 12-11-2016, 04:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
doesn't he have a staff or assistants that would have sent the request on his behalf for the prime minister ?!
The Prince has a staff at Villa Clémentine. His staff came in the news a few years ago because the Prince seems to be a diffficult employer for his (foreign) staff. He seems to be demanding and diffficult in paying extra hours, reason for a continue stream of new (foreign) staff at Villa Clémentine.

Source: 'Prins Laurent bedreigt zijn personeel' - De Standaard

Besides this the Prince has professional assistence at the Fondation Prince Laurent and at the KINT (the Royal Institute for the Sustainable Management of Natural Resources and the Promotion of Clean Technology). We may assume that the Royal Household also works for the Prince.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

That's not surprising to read Laurent is difficult to work for. If his dotation were to be stopped, then what sort of actions would he take to earn/raise money for he and his family? That could end up being more major embarrassments for the Govt. and the King. However, I've read his biography on the Royal website and his educational qualifications are impressive enough that he could have easily made his way in a career field or continued a military career for a while before joining the private sector.
I don't know or have an answer, but there comes a point when one can only go so far in blaming his/her parents for how a life is lived and events that happen during that time. Laurent went against govt. protocols with the Congo and Sri Lanka events and has to face consequences as we all do when we do the same. I give him credit and respect his choices in working for animal welfare and sustainable energy and he should be given recognition for it. As for his outburst and rogue behavior, time will tell and I hope something can work out for him.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

The word enm.... he pronounced before the camera nobody in Belgian says that in public !
Old 12-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

It seems like the royal house and the government are in a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation. If they continue to provide Laurent with a dotation he is going to continue to embarass them, whine, and complain about his lot in life.
If they do not provide a dotation, the possibilities of him getting involved in shady businesses are endless and quite frankly scary.
I believe Laurent is "rotten at the root". His lackadaisical, self-entitlement attitude towards life started very early in his childhood and it is nearly impossible to change this late in life. 😐
Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Heir Apparent

New Royal Problem :
Prince Laurent and Prince Amadeo want to have Stuyvenberg Castle as Residence !
Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Stuyvenberg is a lovely old palace. I don't blame them both for wanting to live there!

Stuyvenberg Palace is also the birth place of King Baudouin.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

and King Albert II
The Palace of the Widow Queens Elisabeth and Fabiola.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Wouldn't it be best to reserve it for the crown princess? I doubt if it would be wise to allow Laurent to live there, considering the amount of criticism on him. Or to let Amedeo live there, considering he seldom does official functions on behalf of the family. It is a lovely house indeed.

Where was this reported, maria olivia?

Edit: I found an article in Het Nieuwsblad, not the most reliable newspaper. They use Thierry Debels as the source, a 'royalty watcher' notorious for his phantasies. He claims Laurent is jealous of his sister, who has an inside pool.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Majesty

I think holding it for the future use of the now early teenage Duchess of Brabant is a perfect solution. Inside of ten years she will be in the "marriage market" and it would make a lovely home for her and her future husband and family.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 12-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Marengo , it was on french TV.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
New Royal Problem :
Prince Laurent and Prince Amadeo want to have Stuyvenberg Castle as Residence !
Prince Amedo must find a new flat/house/mansion for his family. This abode will be permanent and will not create problems for the royal family. Prince Laurent must do the same for his family. Both gentlemen should remember that they are members of the extended family.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread has reached 20 pages and is now closed. You can find the new thread here:

Prince Laurent, Princess Claire & Family - News & Events, Part 6; Dec 2016 - present

Tags
prince aymeric, prince laurent, prince nicholas, princess claire, princess louise