Prince Laurent in Hospital; March 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend's daughter was in artificial coma for a very severe lung infection. She exhausted herself when she was conscious. The artifical coma led her to an recovery.
Thank you for your timely input, it is a relief to know that this is indeed an accepted treatment for severe cases of pneumonia and other such respiritory diseases.

I was getting a little annoyed at the: it's his nerves, he was born with weak nerves (huh?), he's in Intensive Care (he must have done something to hurt himself - for which read "is suicidal") with an increasing level of psychobabble brought only to an end by the statement that he was in an induced coma which kind of kills the psycho yapping.

Whatever the state of his marriage, or his nerves, it seems that at this moment it is his respiratory system that is severely impaired and he is getting the very best treatment they can give him. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

i'm hoping laurent recovers well. all the best to him and his family. obviously he seems to have been unwell for some time, and it is wise that he got taken to hospital. hopefully we will hear some good news soon. people have come out of pneumonia and depression in the past, and i'm sure this will not be a big deal for laurent either.

Hope he gets better soon. The thought of putting someone in an artificial coma sounds quite bad.

The word "coma" in artifical coma sounds frightening but it has nothing common with a naturel coma. An artificial coma is an heavy sedation and is a medical therapy. It can be used in non-life threatening disease or condition to make the therapy easier for the physicians. There is no need to worry unless there are more details about a life-threatening condition.

King Albert II and Queen Paola , his parents are staying at their holiday place !

King Albert II and Queen Paola , his parents are staying at their holiday place !

I didn't want to comment on this matter...but God, a mother whose son has been put into coma - even an assisted and artificial one - would go back home even if she's a the other side of the planet, to stay close to her son and to his family...especially the children. I'm surprised and disappointed by her attitude...

poor children, what a terrible childhood they must have had...

I didn't want to comment on this matter...but God, a mother whose son has been put into coma - even an assisted and artificial one - would go back home even if she's a the other side of the planet, to stay close to her son and to his family...especially the children. I'm surprised and disappointed by her attitude...

poor children, what a terrible childhood they must have had...

100% agree, they have always done the same to Laurent and even his brother who's insanely busy these days makes time to visit him at the hospital :sad:

Last edited:
I'm an ICU nurse, and putting someone in a medically induced coma (or, as Sanica correctly described 'heavy sedation') is not unusual - especially if someone needs ventilatory (respirator) support. Having a tube in your lungs and a machine breathing for you is quite uncomfortable and can be so very frightening, no matter how much you understand. It helps the patient be more comfortable and lets his body use its energy for healing. It can be quite serious or maybe not. We really don't know. I hope he heals quickly.

I don't like to pass judgement from afar, but, SERIOUSLY, if my son were in the hospital - in an Intensive Care Unit no less, nothing would be able to keep me away. The one thing that has crossed my mind is maybe Prince Laurent and Princess Claire do not want his parents there. It could be their presence would be a negative experience for him and would hinder his healing. It's just a thought.

Last edited:
I don't like to pass judgement from afar, but, SERIOUSLY, if my son were in the hospital - in an Intensive Care Unit no less, nothing would not be able to keep me away. The one thing that has crossed my mind is maybe Prince Laurent and Princess Claire do not want his parents there. It could be their presence would be a negative experience for him and would hinder his healing. It's just a thought.

anyway, this tells us a lot - and once more - about the difficult relationships going on in this family. :sad:

The papers say Princess Astrid has asked his great friend, Father Guy Gilbert to come and see him. They say he is still sleeping but breathes alone.

In the news on RTL yesterday evening :
First thread : Prince Laurent
Second thread Visit of President Obama !

anyway, this tells us a lot - and once more - about the difficult relationships going on in this family. :sad:

I agree, the relationships between the members of the family seem uneasy. Princess Astrid asks Père Gilbert to visit him but we haven't heard that she herself has visited him.

I agree, the relationships between the members of the family seem uneasy. Princess Astrid asks Père Gilbert to visit him but we haven't heard that she herself has visited him.

Too much visits are not wished by the medical team in intensive care, especially when the patient is heavily sedated and needs quiet to recover.

maria olivia said in another thread that king Albert II may be undergoing a medical treatment abroad as wel. I suppose that explains the absence.

maria olivia said:
In the news on RTL yesterday evening :
First thread : Prince Laurent
Second thread Visit of President Obama !

It has been on the Dutch tv news for days as well.

maria olivia said in another thread that king Albert II may be undergoing a medical treatment abroad as wel. I suppose that explains the absence.

That would make more sense I guess,wonder if its true?

Pere Gilbert has visited Laurent earlier today and told a journalist that Laurent already opened his eyes. Claire and the children were there. Laurent seems to respond well to the antibiotics and is getting better. So that's really good news.

And this afternoon Philippe paid another visit to his brother.

Last edited:
That would make more sense I guess,wonder if its true?
But isn't this just a guess here? There was no mention of this in the press and we got some pics of Albert and Paola on vacation in Bologna not long ago. It was also mentioned that Paola is in Italy to organize Amedeo's wedding.
I can see why many here have troubles to understand why Albert and Paola are not at Laurent's bedside but their behaviour is not new imo. It has been like this since years already. Remember king's day last November when Albert, Paola and Astrid didn't bother to greet Laurent. They completely ignored him. The same with Louise's First Communion, Albert and Paola were there at the church but didn't even look at Laurent. There were newspaper reports how distressed Laurent was. And whenever he was in troubles lately he was accompanied by Mimi Solvay, who is sort of a foster mom to him. Albert was also abroad when Laurent had to testify in the fraud trial against his former mentor Vaessen. Not to mention that Albert has cut Delphine Boel out of his life and has never met his 2 grandchildren. I'm not surprised by their behaviour. I guess they are concerned but think their presence is not needed and contact with Claire is enough. And I think that at this point a visit would be too distressing for Laurent. That's just my guess and my view on this situation though.

Pere Gilbert can go from Paris to Brussels to visit Laurent but his own parents can't interrupt their trip...
Ok ¬¬
And Philippe keeps visiting his brother even if he's in the middle of a very tight agenda.
This speaks volumes about someone's quality as a person.

Pere Gilbert can go from Paris to Brussels to visit Laurent but his own parents can't interrupt their trip...
Ok ¬¬
And Philippe keeps visiting his brother even if he's in the middle of a very tight agenda.
This speaks volumes about someone's quality as a person.

Maybe Albert and Paula themselves is the reason why Laurent is ill after all these years of emotional abuse.

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone please explain the cause of this alledged strain in the family?

His commitment to hospital and artificially induced coma has been well covered here in DK as well, where Prince Laurant is virtually unknown.

I wish Prince Laurent a speedy recovery. It's good to know that he has woken from his artificial coma.

I think pneumonia, and any illness, is very serious if you haven't had the injection for it - I'm younger than Laurent and I didn't have the injection as a newborn (in my country they've only just introduced it) and therefore caught pneumonia as a young child and had to be hospitalized twice, with many needles in my hands and feet. (I'm guessing that Laurent hasn't had the injection for pneumonia, not sure when it was introduced in Belgium.)

I have to say that I am a little disappointed in Albert and Paola for not visiting their son. He has been in an artificial coma and they think their holidays are more important? :ermm:

There are rumours (only rumours I must say) that Albert and Paola are abroad for a medical reason too.

I have absolutely no knowledge of this family's dynamics but from what I've read here, that over the past, the relationship between Laurent and Albert and Paolo has been seen to be one of stress. If they had to put Laurent into a medically induced coma so the body could rest and recoup, it would make sense to me also that they would want to remove and prevent anything that could cause stress. The man is seriously ill and most likely visitors are the last thing he needs right now.

With this in mind, its very possible that Albert and Paolo haven't visited because they've been asked not to at this time.

Back
Top Bottom