The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

That seems to be very serious. He is in medically induced coma.

Laurent placé dans un coma artificiel pour "optimaliser son traitement" - RTBF Belgique

Old 03-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Nobility

Prince Laurent put in articifial coma, it has been confirmed by the Belgian Court. It's for making treating his Pneumonia easier. "Not alarming" says palace.

RTL info

Personally I've never heard of such a thing before...I hope he'll recover soon

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I really hope he will get well soon.... such a young and lovely family !!!
The King and the Queen have visited him already
Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wish him a speedy recovery and a soon return to his family.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I will takes time !
Old 03-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Prince Laurent put in articifial coma, it has been confirmed by the Belgian Court. It's for making treating his Pneumonia easier. "Not alarming" says palace.

Personally I've never heard of such a thing before...I hope he'll recover soon
I've never heard of this either and I once spent two weeks in the hospital with pneumonia.

HELLO! magazine reports the following:

"An artificial coma would avoid the patient exhausting themselves by fighting against the life-support system," reported Belgian television channel RTL.

"Prince Laurent was voluntarily placed in a coma to give the antibiotics time to act against his pneumonia. This could last up to 48 hours."

Prince Laurent of Belgium placed in artificial coma to fight pneumonia - hellomagazine.com

It has also been reported that King Albert II and Queen Paola are "abroad" but are in constant contact with Claire.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

A friend's daughter was in artificial coma for a very severe lung infection. She exhausted herself when she was conscious. The artifical coma led her to an recovery.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Nobility

First a depression, then a pneumonia and now he needs an artificial coma to get better, I really hope he comes out of this

BTW, it is known that Philippe came to see his brother and that Mathilde is coming as well, where are Albert and Paola? that is their son sick!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

They are abroad (no details) but they are very much in contact with Princess Claire.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

I too know people who have been put in artificial coma to help them recover and both of them got well soon thereafter. It gives the body time to rest. I wish Prince Laurent a speedy recovery and send a thought to Princess Claire and the children, this undoubtedly must be unsettling for them.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
A friend's daughter was in artificial coma for a very severe lung infection. She exhausted herself when she was conscious. The artifical coma led her to an recovery.
Thank you for your timely input, it is a relief to know that this is indeed an accepted treatment for severe cases of pneumonia and other such respiritory diseases.

I was getting a little annoyed at the: it's his nerves, he was born with weak nerves (huh?), he's in Intensive Care (he must have done something to hurt himself - for which read "is suicidal") with an increasing level of psychobabble brought only to an end by the statement that he was in an induced coma which kind of kills the psycho yapping.

Whatever the state of his marriage, or his nerves, it seems that at this moment it is his respiratory system that is severely impaired and he is getting the very best treatment they can give him. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

i'm hoping laurent recovers well. all the best to him and his family. obviously he seems to have been unwell for some time, and it is wise that he got taken to hospital. hopefully we will hear some good news soon. people have come out of pneumonia and depression in the past, and i'm sure this will not be a big deal for laurent either.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Hope he gets better soon. The thought of putting someone in an artificial coma sounds quite bad.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 AM
Royal Highness

The word "coma" in artifical coma sounds frightening but it has nothing common with a naturel coma. An artificial coma is an heavy sedation and is a medical therapy. It can be used in non-life threatening disease or condition to make the therapy easier for the physicians. There is no need to worry unless there are more details about a life-threatening condition.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

King Albert II and Queen Paola , his parents are staying at their holiday place !
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
King Albert II and Queen Paola , his parents are staying at their holiday place !
I didn't want to comment on this matter...but God, a mother whose son has been put into coma - even an assisted and artificial one - would go back home even if she's a the other side of the planet, to stay close to her son and to his family...especially the children. I'm surprised and disappointed by her attitude...

poor children, what a terrible childhood they must have had...
Old 03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince Laurent of Belgium placed in induced coma
Wort.lu - Prince Laurent of Belgium placed in induced coma
Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
I didn't want to comment on this matter...but God, a mother whose son has been put into coma - even an assisted and artificial one - would go back home even if she's a the other side of the planet, to stay close to her son and to his family...especially the children. I'm surprised and disappointed by her attitude...

poor children, what a terrible childhood they must have had...
100% agree, they have always done the same to Laurent and even his brother who's insanely busy these days makes time to visit him at the hospital
Old 03-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
That can be considered rather typical indeed. The press says that princess Claire keeps them updated by telephone each day and they are returning home.

--
According to HLN, the medical staff wants to start waking up the prince tomorrow:
Artsen willen Laurent vanaf morgen uit coma halen - HLN.be
Old 03-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

I'm an ICU nurse, and putting someone in a medically induced coma (or, as Sanica correctly described 'heavy sedation') is not unusual - especially if someone needs ventilatory (respirator) support. Having a tube in your lungs and a machine breathing for you is quite uncomfortable and can be so very frightening, no matter how much you understand. It helps the patient be more comfortable and lets his body use its energy for healing. It can be quite serious or maybe not. We really don't know. I hope he heals quickly.

I don't like to pass judgement from afar, but, SERIOUSLY, if my son were in the hospital - in an Intensive Care Unit no less, nothing would be able to keep me away. The one thing that has crossed my mind is maybe Prince Laurent and Princess Claire do not want his parents there. It could be their presence would be a negative experience for him and would hinder his healing. It's just a thought.

Tags
health, health problems, hospital, prince laurent