Prince Laurent in Hospital; March 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to tell from a single picture how someone is really feeling, but I do hope that Laurent is able to continue to improve in peace with his family.

I wonder why Princess Claire tweets in English, I know she was born in England, but understood that she spent most of her life in Belgium.

It's hard to tell from a single picture how someone is really feeling, but I do hope that Laurent is able to continue to improve in peace with his family.

I wonder why Princess Claire tweets in English, I know she was born in England, but understood that she spent most of her life in Belgium.

Regarding someone in the public eye, Federally-speaking in Belgium:

Si quelqu'un se prononce en français, alors...

men schrijft ook in het nederlands.

So often it's simpler to do it in English.

That's good news, judging by the photo I can imagine that Claire and the children are delighted to have Laurent home. This article in The Daily Mail suggests that Laurent tried to commit suicide during his time in hospital - I don't know if this is true or not, but I do hope that it isn't. I'm still not sure about it. If true, hopefully this will make Albert and Paola realise that their neglect of Laurent has had a big impact on him, and that in an ideal world they would try and accept him into the family a bit more.

He looks so sad and tired. I hope that whatever ails him he is able to overcome with the love and support of his family.

The palace denies the Daily Mail story. The article has no sources at all, it just refers to another newspaper. A spokesperson of the palace added that these wild rumours need to stop.

Nice photo of him and his family. Can't think of a better way to recover.

The palace denies the Daily Mail story. The article has no sources at all, it just refers to another newspaper. A spokesperson of the palace added that these wild rumours need to stop.

Nice photo of him and his family. Can't think of a better way to recover.

I couldn't agree more its a vile story!

A lot of dutch-speaking people also tweet in english because twitter is an international medium, i use english and dutch, depending on the subject :flowers:

I think she tweets in English because it's her mother tongue, because like that she doesn't have to choose between French and Flemish.
Mind you since the two pix of these days, as it was a proof it was really her, the number of her followers is increasing very fast (yesterday more than 700 new followers)

He looks so sad and tired. I hope that whatever ails him he is able to overcome with the love and support of his family.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw that photo...Laurent's sad and tired face, surrounded by his smiling family.

I hope he heals from whatever has been troubling him:sad:.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw that photo...Laurent's sad and tired face, surrounded by his smiling family.

I hope he heals from whatever has been troubling him:sad:
One can only speculate that you are buying into the scandal rags if you are referring to "whatever ails him" and "hope he heals from whatever has been troubling him".

I don't get it. Prince Laurent has just been discharged from hospital having been so ill he was in an induced coma to facilitate his recovery. Do people expect him to be hale and hearty enough to complete a half marathon, tap dance and sing?

Yes he has been discharged, but as anyone who has either been in that situation or knows someone in that situation, that is just the start of his recovery.

He looks like he as a loving wife and children and siblings who will support him until he is totally recovered and more.

As to the unsavoury "rumours" that have been splashed accross the scandal rags? Well, they are not naming sources just saying a friend of a friend . . . yada, yada, yada!

My belief is that had their been any "credible evidence" it would have surfaced when he was in a coma because, quite frankly, sensitivity is not the watchword of scandal rags. The bottom line is!

Last edited:
According to someone close to the royal family,it was Princess Claire who said it was not necessary that King Albert and Queen Paola came back from vacation to visit their son, prince Laurent was either still in coma, either unable to speak.
Also, Queen Paola called daily and the rumour about King Albert not visiting his son was false, he went to the hospital.

article HERE

Like we say in French: une tempète dans un verre d'eau, a tempest in a teapot. :)

One can only speculate that you are buying into the scandal rags if you are referring to "whatever ails him" and "hope he heals from whatever has been troubling him".

I don't get it. Prince Laurent has just been discharged from hospital having been so ill he was in an induced coma to facilitate his recovery. Do people expect him to be hale and hearty enough to complete a half marathon, tap dance and sing?

Yes he has been discharged, but as anyone who has either been in that situation or knows someone in that situation, that is just the start of his recovery.

He looks like he as a loving wife and children and siblings who will support him until he is totally recovered and more.

As to the unsavoury "rumours" that have been splashed accross the scandal rags? Well, they are not naming sources just saying a friend of a friend . . . yada, yada, yada!

My belief is that had their been any "credible evidence" it would have surfaced when he was in a coma because, quite frankly, sensitivity is not the watchword of scandal rags. The bottom line is!

Believe it or not MARG, I read. A lot. Both in English and in French. Quite a few serious biographies of the Belgian RF, the political situation in Belgium and the history of the Saxe-Coburg Gotha dynasty itself . I am not interested in the"scandal rags" you mention". In fact I don't even know which ones you are referring to.

Laurent has a well documented history of very serious emotional problems. And quite frankly the way the information surrounding his latest health crisis was disseminated by the Court, combined with the Prince's own recent public behavior and comments would be enough to signal alarm to any observant , thinking person.

It would not be at all unreasonable to conclude that there might be more to Laurent's hospitalization than pneumonia.

:previous: I have no doubt you read a lot and that you are multi-lingual, which is both edifying and admirable. Nor do I disagree that Laurent has a somewhat turbulent history but, I do disagree with the "facts".

From the time of his admission to hospital there was concern which only deepened when he was moved to ICU and put in an induce coma. At that time there was no discussion about his mental state let alone his "well documented history of very serious emotional problems". These "problems" etc. only came to the fore when there was no news, i.e. Laurent's condition was unchanged.

The longer he was in a coma the more the media speculated, firstly referring alluding to the absence of his parents and how callous they were to stay away. Then came further accounts of the dusfunconal relationship between them. As more time passed the discussion segued to his family problems and his (alleged) unacceptable behaviour within the family. The details were mostly vague allusions to "embarassing" his family, etc. All very serious. All very non-specific and from sources who largely remained anonymous.

No mention of suicide attempts were made until he came out of his coma, and then the media had a license to print money. Any and all ugly rumours were swirling around and, since Laurent was recovering, they could and did speculate to their hearts content, which the could not do before.

Why you ask? Well, it wouldn't look good if they went off on a tear about his possible suicide attempt, etc. and then he died. No, once he was on the mend they could say what they wanted and they have.

As to how it was handled by the Court, well that is down to Queen Paola's extroadinary press release which did not come from the within the Court. But nothing that was or was not said from the Court means "it would not be at all unreasonable to conclude that there might be more to Laurent's hospitalization than pneumonia". Especially since that "more" was a suicide attempt.

Are the BRF exempt from medical privacy? I don't think so and I still hold with my previously stated belief "that had their been any 'credible evidence' to support these rumours it would have surfaced when he was in a coma.[/B] It would also be headline material. But it is not and, not surprisingly, there remains no credible evidence to support it as all those upstanding sources are not willing to be personally quoted. Funny that!

MARG, all this because of a simple comment I originally made, hoping that the prince heals from whatever is bothering him? Why did you immediately conclude that I was referring ONLY to his rumored emotional problems? BTW, you are quite wrong to assume that it's only recently that I have heard about Laurent's "issues", or that I got them from a "scandal rag", or that Laurent's problems have never appeared in the serious, legitimate press.. I first read Paul Belien's excellent study of the BRF(A Throne For Brussels) and it's dysfunctional family dynamics -including Laurent's problems-almost a decade ago.

As I said before, I hope Laurent recovers from WHATEVER IS BOTHERING HIM. Whether it's pneumonia or something more, I still hope he gets better. Period.

I don't understand why that has triggered such an overwrought response from you. It was sincerely meant, and I see nothing inappropriate about what I posted

Last edited:
:previous:
Anyone who has followed the Belgian Royal Family for any length of time would be well-aware that Prince Laurent has had issues of various sorts.
However, removing yourself from the equation, MARG has provided a deconstruction of the media coverage which I believe is always valuable as so few people appear to look behind what's presented to see what may be ticking in the back. MARG may be correct in her assessment, she may be wrong. But at least it's a serious attempt to analyse and detail the nature of the media reporting of Prince Laurent's hospitalisation, and more significantly, its timing.

Here in Canada, it can be a matter for appreciation that Prince Laurent, together with Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, presided a few months ago in Ieper over commemoration of Commonwealth losses in World War One. It is good that the Belgian authorities still remember those appalling series of events in Flanders: for example, at Passchendaele (Passendale) 15000 Canadian casualties were suffered, and ironically the British High Command subsequently ordered Passchendaele, captured at such a cost, to be evacuated without a shot. The Imperial British lack of consultation with the Canadian government during World War One and their perceived lack of respect for Canadian sensibilities over events such as the evacuation of Passchendaele - previously insisted upon as vitally necessary - became particularly weighty factors in moves towards making the Parliament of Canada more independent after World War One.

It's good that royal Belgians such as Laurent and the Belgian government still remember those appalling Commonwealth losses.

Prince Laurent had a short interview with a Walloon newspaper of Sudpresse.

The journalist asked him if he minded it that it took his parents two weeks to show up in the hospital. The prince replied: would you still need your parents when you are 50 y/o?

The jorunalist replied that perhaps in these circumstances he would, to which Laurent replied: 'At 50 y/o I don't need my parents anymore'.

The journalist asked if he heard the rumours about suicide etc. to which the prince replied: 'I was in a coma'.

The question if he received many visits from his family, the prince diplomatically replied: 'Claire helps me'.

This weekend the prince went to easter mass. The prince said this was only possible due to Claire's support as he has trouble walking. He realises that the recovery will be very slow.

Laurent: "Op m'n 50ste heb ik mijn ouders niet meer nodig" - HLN.be

Well, some say that life begins at 50, and at the time he was still in his fourties ;).

I don't find this interview very helpful btw.

Money is one thing but paternal love is more important.

Will we see the same the King's attitude for the twins Communion ?
For Princess Louise Communion , the King ignored completely Prince Laurent.

How many family problems in our Royal Family, Leopold II and his 2 eldest daughters , Leopold III and his brother the Count of Flanders, Leopold III , Lilian and Queen Fabiola!
This never happened in other Royal families .

:previous:
Or maybe the other royal families are just better in not airing their dirty laundry in public.
But really, this family is a truly mess.

It seems Laurent suffers from a difficult form of depression.

Wow... either they don't realize how these publications come across to the public or they don't care...either one is not good and imo a big concern for King Philip, who i think tries very hard to get a grip on everything
In all families there are problems, i'm sure, but others manage to keep things in the family and only make non-commital comments in public

Back
Top Bottom