Prince Laurent, Princess Claire & Family - News & Events, Part 6; Dec 2016 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to see Laurent at an engagement (a rarity!). Nice to see that the children came along to support the work of their father's foundation, too. I particularly like the first photo - the man looks so happy to see the family!

Today, January 18, Prince Laurent visited the European Motor Show Brussels again to attend the opening of the #WeAreMobility fair that presents new urban mobility solutions:

** belga gallery **

I forgot if he attend the new year wishes when his Father was King ?

The dotation of Laurent for the year 2018 has been lowered with 15% (46.000 euros). From 2019 onwards the prince will receive the normal dotation again.

The prince spoke to VTM while he visited the autosalon in Brussels. He says that he does not understand why he was not heard and why he lost a part of the dotation. He added: "But I am not smart enough to understand why it is so".

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty...rijpen-waarom-we-niet-gehoord-werden~ab1c02eb

Last edited by a moderator:
The dotation of Laurent for the year 2018 has been lowered with 15% (46.000 euros). From 2019 onwards the prince will receive the normal dotation again.

The prince spoke to VTM while he visited the autosalon in Brussels. He says that he does not understand why he was not heard and why he lost a part of the dotation. He added: "But I am not smart enough to understand why it is so".

https://www.hln.be/showbizz/royalty...rijpen-waarom-we-niet-gehoord-werden~ab1c02eb

Well, if you are the one to send an attorney instead of show up yourself to explain/defend yourself, it is not too hard to figure out why you were not heard...

They are actually quite generous as he could have lost for ever but they only withhold money for a year (probably they expect that they are better able to control him this way).

Well, if you are the one to send an attorney instead of show up yourself to explain/defend yourself, it is not too hard to figure out why you were not heard...

They are actually quite generous as he could have lost for ever but they only withhold money for a year (probably they expect that they are better able to control him this way).

Totally totally agree!!! He likes privilege but doesn't want to take the responsabilities that come with it.

Off-topic, but I have a linguistic curiosity about the syntax of the headline in the linked article, i.e. "Ik ben niet slim genoeg om te begrijpen waarom we niet gehoord werden".

In the dependent clause, in the final passive voice construction, the auxiliary verb ('werden') is in final position after the past participle ('gehoord') as it would be the case in German (e.g. "Ich bin nicht klug genug zu verstehen, warum wir nicht gehört wurden'" ?) and, I think, also in Afrikaans.

However, I was under the impression that, in modern Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands, people tend to say instead: "Ik ben niet slim genoeg om te begrijpen waarom we niet werden gehoord", i.e. with the auxiliary verb before the past participle. Does that mean that Belgian Dutch is syntatically more conservative than Netherlandic Dutch, or are both word orders also used in the Netherlands ?

Thanks for the clarification.

On January 25 Prince Laurent and Princess Claire attended the Collectors' Preview of the BRAFA art fair 2018 at Tour and Taxis in Brussels:

** Pic **

Off-topic, but I have a linguistic curiosity about the syntax of the headline in the linked article, i.e. "Ik ben niet slim genoeg om te begrijpen waarom we niet gehoord werden".

In the dependent clause, in the final passive voice construction, the auxiliary verb ('werden') is in final position after the past participle ('gehoord') as it would be the case in German (e.g. "Ich bin nicht klug genug zu verstehen, warum wir nicht gehört wurden'" ?) and, I think, also in Afrikaans.

However, I was under the impression that, in modern Dutch as spoken in the Netherlands, people tend to say instead: "Ik ben niet slim genoeg om te begrijpen waarom we niet werden gehoord", i.e. with the auxiliary verb before the past participle. Does that mean that Belgian Dutch is syntatically more conservative than Netherlandic Dutch, or are both word orders also used in the Netherlands ?

Thanks for the clarification.

Both word orders are used in the Netherlands. We aren't that strict with word order.

And the saga around prince Laurent continues...

The prince requested to defend himself in parliament against the lowering of dotation. The request has been approved. Siegfried Backe, chairman of the chamber, is lloking for a solution which will allow this extraordinary move. It is ;likely that the prince will appear in front of a -hopefully- closed commission of delegates from the various parties.

Source: Prins Laurent mag zich in de Kamer gaan verdedigen - De Standaard

And the saga around prince Laurent continues...

The prince requested to defend himself in parliament against the lowering of dotation. The request has been approved. Siegfried Backe, chairman of the chamber, is lloking for a solution which will allow this extraordinary move. It is ;likely that the prince will appear in front of a -hopefully- closed commission of delegates from the various parties.

Source: Prins Laurent mag zich in de Kamer gaan verdedigen - De Standaard

I am surprised the Royal House is allowing Laurent to do this.

I suppose that either he will be able to provide some really good explanations, or he will ruin himself once for all; but in the latter case (at least) he will be the only one to blame.

I suppose that either he will be able to provide some really good explanations, or he will ruin himself once for all; but in the latter case (at least) he will be the only one to blame.

.......if he ruins himself, the lowering of the dotation could be extended from only one year to say, five or more years, depending on how he acts, it's a chance. Laurent should have taken the one year and kept quiet. Does anyone expect he'll really change his ways even after the lowering of his dotation? I'm not being snarky, I'm truly curious. I have doubts myself.

Yesterday at the Parliamant, a shame Prince Laurent's lawyer came half an hour to late.
13 Members of had to vote. 12 yes , 1 no , and the Prince lost 15 millions of his Dotation.

Yesterday at the Parliamant, a shame Prince Laurent's lawyer came half an hour to late.
13 Members of had to vote. 12 yes , 1 no , and the Prince lost 15 millions of his Dotation.

Not millions but 15%!

I hope Prince Laurent will not be any more disturbed.

Prince Laurent at the headquarters of Armee du Salut (Salvation Army) - Leger des Heils Belgium in Brussels today, March 22:

** belga gallery **

His letter is quite interesting. He acknowledges that others might be in a harder position but he states that he is the only one whose family has frustrated all his efforts. He complains that his whole life was in service of his brother, his family and the state (which I partly understand but he could have worded it differently).

Furthermore, he mentions opposition against his marriage to Claire because she is untitled (was there indeed a lot of opposition? I don't recall but it could very well be the case - although I don't see how that is relevant in this case) and that he doesn't receive the normal social security that all other Belgians enjoy (as if he would not be taken care of in case of disability or health issues).

He promises that he will fight against this sanction with all his might because to him it feels as if he is completely controlled by government. Any misstep by him could result in a significant loss of income. He doesn't want that prospect for the rest of his life. He therefore urged parliament to work on a better law regulating the Royal House.

Impressive letter.... I didn't know he and his family were not entitled to advantages us Belgian people are given..... reimbursement of medical expenses and so on....On the other hand what was asked was just for him to ask permission for certain acts.... nothing so hard I think.... and he can really be forgiven the first time but not after several warnings....

Impressive letter.... I didn't know he and his family were not entitled to advantages us Belgian people are given..... reimbursement of medical expenses and so on....On the other hand what was asked was just for him to ask permission for certain acts.... nothing so hard I think.... and he can really be forgiven the first time but not after several warnings....

I don't think he needs to pay for his medical expenses out of his own pocket. Not sure how these things are organized for the royal family but if things are arranged differently for the BRF than for ordinary Belgians I assume that is because they have a better deal...

And indeed, the requirements for him are minimal. He mainly thinks his offense was minimal but he indeed has shown to continuously ignore pretty basic instructions on 'inform the government of meetings with foreign dignitaries'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom