The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Lots of bad and damaging press lately solely because some family members (=Albert, Paola, Claire) didn't show up to important events and the press started guessing what the reasons are. Frankly, if they don’t feel the need to support the King they could at least feel obliged to support the institution monarchy, after all that is what feeds them. There are only six events throughout the year where they are expected to gather together and pretend to be a family: The New Year's reception, the memorial mass in February, National Day, a concert in autumn, King's Day and the Christmas concert. All of them get more than enough money in return for that one can expect them to attend these events, greet each other politely, put a smile on their face and behave like they are interested in what is happening.
probably she had other things to do and Laurent was in a bad mood and didn't feel like give a proper answer. but that's my feeling precisely!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Claire stays home already 7 weeks because no money for new clothes , make-up , dresser , babysitter!
Queen Paola wore for the third time her same grey with fur outfit because they have now to manage with less money!
Not fair at all !

Old 02-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Claire stays home already 7 weeks because no money for new clothes , make-up , dresser , babysitter!
Queen Paola wore for the third time her same grey with fur outfit because they have now to manage with less money!
Not fair at all !
Albert gets what Philippe got when he was still CP. If Philippe could manage with this budget for his family of six for sure two pensioners can have a comfortable life with this money. Not to mention that Philippe gets 700.000€ less than his father when he was reigning king. You never heard him or his wife complaining, they simply do their work. And this is how it should be. Albert and Laurent come across as spoiled angry men with their complaining, it's really damaging and they better stop this asap.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Albert gets what Philippe got when he was still CP. If Philippe could manage with this budget for his family of six for sure two pensioners can have a comfortable life with this money. Not to mention that Philippe gets 700.000€ less than his father when he was reigning king. You never heard him or his wife complaining, they simply do their work. And this is how it should be. Albert and Laurent come across as spoiled angry men with their complaining, it's really damaging and they better stop this asap.
I agree with you. But I'm not going on with this
When Philippe ascended the throne I had the feeling that something changed in Laurent's disposition towards the Royal House, he even made a statement or something if I'm not wrong saying how happy he was to support his brother, and he did a lot of engagements representing his brother. so I think I'm going to wait and see.
Certainly I'm not buying the "they don't have money for new clothes" thing. One doesn't need to show everyday in a new dress. One can be smart enough by wearing store's clothes, like the Duchess of Cambridge does with her Zara outfits
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Not to mention that Philippe gets 700.000€ less than his father when he was reigning king. You never heard him or his wife complaining, they simply do their work. And this is how it should be.
If you really think this, than I want you to be my employee!
Now seriously, why should they do the same work for less money? Especially when everything is more and more expensive? In the end they could do it for free, couldn´t they? They are absolutely right not to do it, it is very simple - less money, less representation.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Somebody made the twitter account:

https://twitter.com/ClaireLCoombs

which also twittered: 'I woke up this morning, read the press and I 'm flabbergasted. why do some people dare putting words in our mouth ?? So far from reality'.

Now the question is, is this really princess Claire? The palace points out that there is one official twiter account for communication, which is https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe

source: HLN
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Somebody made the twitter account:

https://twitter.com/ClaireLCoombs

which also twittered: 'I woke up this morning, read the press and I 'm flabbergasted. why do some people dare putting words in our mouth ?? So far from reality'.

Now the question is, is this really princess Claire? The palace points out that there is one official twiter account for communication, which is https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe
Not a verified account and it was only set up yesterday - so unlikely on this evidence so far.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Laurent alone this evening for les Magritte du cinema. last year they attended to-gether. If I was Claire and referring to her twitter of to-day (flabbergasted) I should be there.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraHel View Post
Now seriously, why should they do the same work for less money? Especially when everything is more and more expensive?
Their dotation was effectively lowered because they have to pay taxes on a smaller part of it. No unfair or inappropriate deal imo, just an adaption to reality and it was said that Albert was okay with this decision to take the heat out of the money discussion. The dotations of Astrid and Laurent have been under attack for a long time and so was the amount of money that Fabiola got. Even the former Belgian PM who agreed to introduce the dotations said it was a mistake. Something had to be done. That Albert and Laurent now complain about it sheds no positive light on them and their judgement. Just my view on it though.

Quote:
In the end they could do it for free, couldn´t they?
See this is what the members of the biggest Flemish party, the republican N-VA (New Flemish Alliance) expect Elisabeth to do in the future. They are working on their manifesto today - there are elections in May - and they decided to abolish the dotation for the heir to the throne. The first version of the text still mentioned a dotation for the CP but the members of the party decided to scrap this sentence. Albert and Laurent's latest antics for sure were very helpful, they undermine the position of the monarchy.
Quote:
They are absolutely right not to do it, it is very simple - less money, less representation.
Laurent gets more money than the Belgian Prime Minister and had 4 official activities in January, the New Years reception, a visit to Brussels motor show, a visit to a Lego exhibition (he stayed 15 minutes) and a visit to a gallery (he stayed 9 minutes there) so in Laurent's case less representation = no representation.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Their dotation was effectively lowered because they have to pay taxes on a smaller part of it. No unfair or inappropriate deal imo, just an adaption to reality and it was said that Albert was okay with this decision to take the heat out of the money discussion. The dotations of Astrid and Laurent have been under attack for a long time and so was the amount of money that Fabiola got. Even the former Belgian PM who agreed to introduce the dotations said it was a mistake. Something had to be done. That Albert and Laurent now complain about it sheds no positive light on them and their judgement. Just my view on it though.

See this is what the members of the biggest Flemish party, the republican N-VA (New Flemish Alliance) expect Elisabeth to do in the future. They are working on their manifesto today - there are elections in May - and they decided to abolish the dotation for the heir to the throne. The first version of the text still mentioned a dotation for the CP but the members of the party decided to scrap this sentence. Albert and Laurent's latest antics for sure were very helpful, they undermine the position of the monarchy.
Laurent gets more money than the Belgian Prime Minister and had 4 official activities in January, the New Years reception, a visit to Brussels motor show, a visit to a Lego exhibition (he stayed 15 minutes) and a visit to a gallery (he stayed 9 minutes there) so in Laurent's case less representation = no representation.
IT's always interesting to see what activities royals do other than BRF (I'm British). In the month of January, Prince Andrew (probably the least popular member of the family and who receives about £145,000 pa directly from the Queen to pay for travel and his office (no salary)), did 24 engagements on 10 days of the month.

That wont make him any more popular

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-01-2014, 06:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetraHel View Post
If you really think this, than I want you to be my employee!
Now seriously, why should they do the same work for less money? Especially when everything is more and more expensive? In the end they could do it for free, couldn´t they? They are absolutely right not to do it, it is very simple - less money, less representation.
I would gladly do it for an even lower dotation, believe me. They're not there for a divine right, in Belgium more than in any other monarchie in Europe (notice the king is King of the Belgians, not of Belgium). They serves Belgian people in the most complete way, because the belgian people keeps giving them the right to do so. Then if they don't want to do it anymore,they should just retire as private citizens, find a job and live out of their own work (just like Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands does).
Let's please not pretender they're not privileged people.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not a verified account and it was only set up yesterday - so unlikely on this evidence so far.
It seems verified now, newspaper 'De Standaard' claims that the prince confirmed to them that the twitter account is actually of his wife.

Claire bijt van zich af op Twitter - De Standaard
Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
It seems verified now, newspaper 'De Standaard' claims that the prince confirmed to them that the twitter account is actually of his wife.

Claire bijt van zich af op Twitter - De Standaard
There are some not very subtle comments to her tweets...
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Administrator

It all seems rather bizarre. The good thing is that the Belgians should be used to Laurent and his antics by now (and perhaps like him even more for it) so it won't hurt his brother's position.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Palace has confirmed it wasn't Claire's : it is a fake !
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

As mentioned above Prince Laurent attended the fourth edition of the Magritte du Cinema awards ceremony in Brussels yesterday, February 1. The awards are rewarded to movies of Belgian French-speaking producers.

** belga gallery ** facetoface **

** rtl.be video: Le prince Laurent est arrivé seul à la cérémonie des Magritte du cinéma **
Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Iceflower, if they deny in the morning Claire should have attended this Event.
How sad Laurent is looking specially in his friend antic gallery where he stayed 9 minutes.
This evening I will have a look at Royalty on VTM !
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
The Palace has confirmed it wasn't Claire's : it is a fake !
I thought so - it did look a bit suspicious, because wouldn't Claire's username be something along the lines of Princess Claire/Claire de Belgique/Claire van Belgie? The other royals who have Twitter use their royal names (e.g. Queen Rania - @raniaalabdullah and Princess Mabel - @mabelvanoranje) and not their maiden names. The Tweets also didn't sound like it was actually Claire Tweeting them.

According to Royal Musings, Laurent and Claire have commented on the marriage rumours. They said that they were "untruthful" and that "the press should respect their privacy":

Royal Musings: Prince Laurent and Princess Claire issue statement: reports about marital problems are "untruthful"
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It all seems rather bizarre. The good thing is that the Belgians should be used to Laurent and his antics by now (and perhaps like him even more for it) so it won't hurt his brother's position.
It is and the absence of Princess Claire I guess is not helping the media rumours.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Yesterday evening, February 3rd, Prince Laurent attended the David Khayat Association 'AVEC' Gala Dinner in Versailles, France.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Tags
prince aymeric, prince laurent, prince nicholas, princess claire, princess louise