The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The king can not withdraw Laurents dotation. Only parlament can. The King inherited this far-from-ideal situation from his father. The best thing he can (and will) do is to make sure that history does not repeat itself and that his younger children will be well prepared for a future job.

Let us not forget that the prince has suffered from bouts of depressions in the past and this may be one of the reasons of pain for him. He has received no support in his childhood by his absent parents. Neither did his fanatically religious uncle and aunt know what to do with him.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:22 AM
Aristocracy

In the end Laurent is digging his own grave imo. It will be more and more difficult to see him as credible representative of an institution he obviously hates so much. He better does not take his dotation for granted or he is in for a rude awakening I fear. There’s already so much criticism on his dotation and Fabiola’s example should teach him that his financial situation can be changed rather quickly by the politicans. I hope Claire is able to reign him in.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I feel so sorry for Philip & Mathilde and in fact for Astrid. They just seem to be being let down constantly by their family, Laurent over the years and then Albert & Paola since the abdication.
I remember seeing a video the other day from a recent event Astrid did with Albert and he made her move from where she was standing because she was in front of him and it was "against protocol", Albert remarked "it [protocol] is all I have now". Astrid laughed it off but how hurtful to be publicly called out like that my your father. Her youngest brother clearly has a similar self pitying attitude as Albert, what an embarrassment!
I think King Philippe and especially Queen Mathilde are keen to restore some protocol and dignity back into the Belgian monarchy. From what I can see, the Belgian monarchy often givens the impression -rightly or wrongly- of an "organized chaos". A couple of months into King Philippe's new kingship, suddenly "anonymous sources at the Palace" leaked to the Belgian media and complained about Queen Mathilde. From the outside she has an angelic appearance and always being Behind Her Husband. In reality she seems to have taken the reins in her hand and the courtiers -used to Albert and Paola, to Baudouin and Fabiola, both with little interest in the organization of the Court- suddenly felt faced with a energetic and ambitious royal couple.

That is not the Mathilde we know., the always subservient and silent noble lady from the deep green forests in the Ardennes. That is not the Philippe we know, always portrayed as a goof, a whimp, a dumb. The chaos around the funeral of Queen Fabiola, the public miscommunication between the members of the royal family, it all shows that the King and Queen are right to tighten it all up. Maybe Prince Laurent, used to freewheel to all and everything, now feel "suffocated" by the new and tighter regime in the palace? Feeling that his very own brother has become as much a control freak as his uncle King Baudouin? We never know. It is clear that something has profoundly changed between the two brothers.

Sadly a deep family rift is nothing new in the Belgian royal family. Even a rift between two very brothers is nothing new. King Leopold III and his brother Prince Charles (Regent of Belgium between 1944 and 1950) developed a fierce rift and it never healed. Both died with bitter resentment to each other.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

In Laurent’s case the regime has always been tight. And with good reasons. It’s simply Laurent’s age-old pattern of putting the blame on others instead of realizing his own mistakes. This latest rant was triggered by journalists asking questions on his almost bankrupt renewable energy project. He ironically also seems to think that talking to the press will change things to the better. As a journalist put it: He will never learn and gamble away all chances given to him. And of course he will always get a veto when he comes up with shady deals like his Libya or Congo adventures for ex. It doesn’t matter if the monarch in charge is his brother, father or uncle.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The king can not withdraw Laurents dotation. Only parlament can. The King inherited this far-from-ideal situation from his father. The best thing he can (and will) do is to make sure that history does not repeat itself and that his younger children will be well prepared for a future job.

Let us not forget that the prince has suffered from bouts of depressions in the past and this may be one of the reasons of pain for him. He has received no support in his childhood by his absent parents. Neither did his fanatically religious uncle and aunt know what to do with him.

I, for one, was just talking about not giving him an active role in the monarchy.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

I guess the Court may feel Laurent needs to be seen working as he gets an allowance from the State.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
I, for one, was just talking about not giving him an active role in the monarchy.
It is already quite generous that Archduchess Astrid of Austria-Este, Princess of Belgium (number 5 in the line of succession) and Prince Laurent of Belgium (number 11) get allowances which is higher than what the Prime Minister gets for all his hard work.

The Prince already does the bare minimum for this allowance. Lifting him totally out of the Royal House can not be done without ending his allowance. The taxpaying public would find it hard to swallow that someone is thrown out of the Royal House but continues to receive an allowance from their taxes. (The Belgians are one of the highest taxed, if not THE highest taxed, people in the EU).
Old 04-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if that was part of the reason Philippe worked with Laurent to get him doing more, he maybe thought it would help but a stop to all the bad press over the Royals allowances. Laurent was always held up in the press as a poor example as he didn't do much for his allowance. From what I saw and read there was always less criticism of Astrid as she did much more than Laurent.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and the kids visited an exhibition about Anne Frank at Stavelot Abbey today, April 20:

** Pic ** belga gallery **

** lameuse.be: Liège: le prince Laurent et sa famille visitent l'exposition Anne Frank à Stavelot **
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Wow, the Stasi let him out of his prison!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Lol Leidi.
When his Children went to Hasselt they were not allowed to speak before the camera , going to the expensive Lycée Français , they don't speak dutch
Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Laurent: “Ik ben verkeerd begrepen” | VTM NIEUWS

Laurent is backpedalling now?

I can only imagine the scolding he got from his brother
Old 04-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Prince Laurent, Princess Claire and the kids visited an exhibition about Anne Frank at Stavelot Abbey today, April 20:

** Pic ** belga gallery **

** lameuse.be: Liège: le prince Laurent et sa famille visitent l'exposition Anne Frank à Stavelot **
On 2 photos you can see the children are holding white draped dolls that the children, what are those ?
Old 04-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Luna View Post
On 2 photos you can see the children are holding white draped dolls that the children, what are those ?
(as i understand it) The exhibition is in Stavelot Abbey, the dolls are the mascottes of Stavelot carnaval, the Bkanc Moussis
Blanc Moussis Carnival - Laetare in Stavelot
Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
(as i understand it) The exhibition is in Stavelot Abbey, the dolls are the mascottes of Stavelot carnaval, the Bkanc Moussis
Blanc Moussis Carnival - Laetare in Stavelot
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Laurent: “Ik ben verkeerd begrepen” | VTM NIEUWS

Laurent is backpedalling now?

I can only imagine the scolding he got from his brother
Maybe he was shocked to see that his comments would get so much attention. He claims to have been misunderstood. Story of his life perhaps .
The good thing is that he said he would never say those words again. Let's hope he will continue his recovery.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree Marengo , but Laurent is so unexpectible !!
Old 04-26-2015, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Yesterday afternoon, April 25, Prince Laurent attended the official reopening of the Zimmer tower museum in Lier.

** gva.be gallery: Prins Laurent opent Zimmer Museum en bezoekt Zimmertoren **
Old 04-26-2015, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Did the rest of his clothes got lost at the dry cleaners or something? He's been wearing the same jacket, shirt and tie combo for a few acts now
Old 04-30-2015, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Prince Laurent and Princess Claire attended the Defil'Eco, a second hand clothes and accessories fashion show in Liege yesterday evening, April 29:

** belga gallery **

** lameuse.be: Le prince Laurent et Claire à Liège pour le spectacle «Défil'éco» à la Caserne Fonck (photos et vidéos) **

Tags
prince aymeric, prince laurent, prince nicholas, princess claire, princess louise