The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2004, 12:35 AM
Courtier

Red face Would the Lux. Princes be allowed to marry a Non-Catholic?

Do u think say if the Princes decided they liked someone from brittan who would be under the church of england... would they have to get there bride to be to change to catholic?

I know when the English Royal family visits the pope they were black as opposed to white... what are your opinions???

Old 10-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

The girl would probably have to convert. But yet again, you never know, it is the 21th century. But, Luxembourg is a country where 99% of its people are Catholic.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Courtier

hehehe he prob wont be allowed to marry someone like christina aguilera hey
Old 10-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_barbarella
hehehe he prob wont be allowed to marry someone like christina aguilera hey
Goodness glaciers, I hope not! Gah!
-Kara-
Old 10-02-2004, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
The girl would probably have to convert. But yet again, you never know, it is the 21th century. But, Luxembourg is a country where 99% of its people are Catholic.
yeah i agree with u...maybe now that its the 21st century they would be easy on the religion.... ^____^
Old 10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would both laugh and cry at the same time if he married her!
Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I would both laugh and cry at the same time if he married her!
r u happy or sad? hahaha i can't tell haha.... ^___^
Old 10-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Both. He would be married, but that wouldn't last very long. Besides, even I would look like a saint next to her.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Nobility

Prince/Princess of Luxembourg need the consent of the Grand Duke and the Parliament to marry. I don't think they will marry someone who isnt Catholic. If they did marry a non Catholic, they are no longer in the line of succession to the Luxembourg throne.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

Agreed with most of the posts above. It is highly likely that the future princesses will have to become catholic if they are not already members of the church.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
Prince/Princess of Luxembourg need the consent of the Grand Duke and the Parliament to marry. I don't think they will marry someone who isnt Catholic. If they did marry a non Catholic, they are no longer in the line of succession to the Luxembourg throne.
Are you sure? I don't wasn to have to ruin my chances just because of my religion!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Courtier

I would imagine that it's similar to the restrictions imposed upon the British Royal family. Luxembourg is a hardcore Catholic country, and for a possible future leader, it's obvious that they most likely prefer someone who is already of the same religion. Not sure if this ruins your chances or not .....

-Kara-
Old 10-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Royal Highness

gaggleofcrazypeople,

What is your religion? Just curious. My chances arn't that great being that i am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints "mormon" . I would have to change my religion to marry one of them. I think if you love one of them - in the end it all comes down to wether or not you are willing to give up your faith and all that you have believed your entire life to marry someone. It takes alot to give up ones religious faith to marry someone of another faith. Who knows, perhaps you can still marry one of them without giving up your faith as long as you sign something in the Catholic church says that you will raise your children Catholic no matter what your religion may be. That is what several non-catholics have to do when marrying a member of the Church. Who knows - perhaps we have someone who is willing to go and check it out for us and answer this question after all.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 AM
Courtier

I know princess mary changed her religion for her husband and her royal as crown princess of denmark
Old 10-05-2004, 01:55 AM
Courtier

Well said Chanel. And you're exactly right- a lot of the time the Church will require you to sign a statement promising to raise any children as Catholics if one of the spouses is of a different faith AND they want to marry in the Catholic Church. They didn't require a signed document for my mom and dad [my dad is Roman Catholic, my mom is Free Hungarian Reformed], but they did have to promise to raise their children Catholic [which they did], to baptize and confirm them in the Catholic church [which they didn't- I'm the only one of three sisters to have been baptized, had a communion and confirmed in the Church- my sisters have simply been baptized and had a communion] and to send their children to catechism lessons [which they did].

I also believe that this is similar in the Jewish faith- that if a couple wishes to marry in a temple and one is not Jewish, they must promise to raise their children Jewish. I could be wrong though, and please correct me if I am.

But, back to our dashing princes, it is ultimately a matter of love. If the Lux government and royal family require you to convert to a different religion and to sign away any rights to your children in the event of a divorce [and I'll add as a side note that divorce is not permitted in the Catholic Church at all- if you want a divorce, you must make a special appeal to HH the Pope and the Sacra Rota in Rome to have an annullment. If it's granted (and that RARELY happens) then you are free to marry again in the Church and take communion at Mass. If not, you may still get divorced legally, but in the eyes of the Church you will still be married and not permitted to marry someone else in a Catholic church or take communion-ever-for the rest of your life], then you have to stop and question whether or not you truly love someone so much as to take such a big step like that. That would be tough. And by way of example, I think that Crown Princess Mary has a lot of courage to do what she did.

-Kara-
Old 10-05-2004, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_barbarella
I know princess mary changed her religion for her husband and her royal as crown princess of denmark
What religion was she before her marriage?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'd just like to say that I'm a Jew. And I'm doomed. My entire family would kill me if I converted, let alone not raise Jewish children.
And about the Jewish wedding thing...I'm not sure if that's true cause all of the weddings I've gone to at temples both people were born Jewish or had at least converted. The few mixed marriges I've gone to have been judge related.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
What religion was she before her marriage?
Presbyterian.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'd just like to say that I'm a Jew. And I'm doomed. My entire family would kill me if I converted, let alone not raise Jewish children.
And about the Jewish wedding thing...I'm not sure if that's true cause all of the weddings I've gone to at temples both people were born Jewish or had at least converted. The few mixed marriges I've gone to have been judge related.
Religion is so personal, and frankly I would be suscpicious of someone who is willing to convert just to marry. For me it would be like giving-up a part of my identity (I know it's not the same for everyone). Changing deonominations to a similar kind of church is one thing, but chaning ones entire faith is a very drastic move. I know that it was necessary before for reasons of state & all that, but I just don't personally agree with it -- not unless the individual in question really believes in what they're doing. Just my two cents worth.

With regards to Luxembourg, I don't know if the younger Princes will be prohibited from mayrring non-Catholics, although there will, no doubt. be pressure from the family to marry within the Church. The family is very Catholic, after all.

Off hand, was 'Princess Joan' of Luxembourg a Catholic, or did she even convert?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Religion is so personal, and frankly I would be suscpicious of someone who is willing to convert just to marry. For me it would be like giving-up a part of my identity (I know it's not the same for everyone). Changing deonominations to a similar kind of church is one thing, but chaning ones entire faith is a very drastic move. I know that it was necessary before for reasons of state & all that, but I just don't personally agree with it -- not unless the individual in question really believes in what they're doing. Just my two cents worth.

With regards to Luxembourg, I don't know if the younger Princes will be prohibited from mayrring non-Catholics, although there will, no doubt. be pressure from the family to marry within the Church. The family is very Catholic, after all.

Off hand, was 'Princess Joan' of Luxembourg a Catholic, or did she even convert?
I certainly see your point, Sean and I agree with it. However, if you are someone who did belong to a particular church or religion, but you were not particularly religious, then I would suppose that conversion would not pose much of a problem for you in general. The conversion coudl be viewed as starting your life over and now making religion a priority.

In regards to the Princes marrying non-Catholics, I would have to say that I doubt that it will happen. Luxembourg is a predominantly, Catholic state (over 90 percent last I heard) and I think that conversion would be necessary when also taking this and the country and Grand Ducal Family's ties to the Vatican.