The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
I don't think Find a Grave is a reputable source. I have never read anything other than that the sons were to be their father's faith and daughters catholic.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
Nobility

As they live in Luxembourg where most people are catholic, they'll probably end up married to catholics anyway.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
As they live in Luxembourg where most people are catholic, they'll probably end up married to catholics anyway.
Félix hasn't lived in Luxembourg for several years now, but he does consistently reside in Catholic areas. I think that Guillaume is still living in France. But, I do agree with you. I think they are all too catholic to marry a women who isn't catholic or willing to convert. Although, I can't imagine that it would be an issue if she weren't.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Nobility

I think the only one who could incounter some issues with a marriage to a non-Catholic would be Guillaume due to his position. I do not think the others would be as likely to incounter problems if they chose to wed a non- Catholic.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Courtier

I think the girl has to convert to Catholic to marry one of the Princes or Princess.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Aristocracy

If I'm not mistaken Maxima of Netherlands is still Catholic but their children is raised Protestants. Maybe Luxembourg will allow the same

However in Guillaume's case I get the impression that he has a stronger belief than his siblings so then it might be more important for him that his wife share his belives.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Nobility

Regardless of who they marry, I think a marriage between a passionate Roman Catholic and a charismatic protestant (aka "convicted Christian" or "born again Christian") who speaks in tongues, wants you to be "saved" their way and seriously has different beliefs about how and when to baptise your children, could be tense.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Aristocracy

Yes it won't be easy but who said married life is
Old 10-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani90 View Post
If I'm not mistaken Maxima of Netherlands is still Catholic but their children is raised Protestants. Maybe Luxembourg will allow the same

However in Guillaume's case I get the impression that he has a stronger belief than his siblings so then it might be more important for him that his wife share his belives.
You are correct, Maxima is still Catholic and her children are raised in their father's faith.

I wouldn't necessarily say Guillaume is more Catholic than his siblings (they all seem pretty genuine), but he is certainly very Catholic. You don't cry during the Te Deum if you aren't devoted and you certainly don't study theology or join Catholic fraternities (not the US Greek type of frat) if you are not serious about your Catholicism. While I doubt it would ever be an issue for any of the de Lux kids to marry a non Catholic I sincerely doubt Guillaume would chose a women who didn't share his faith.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
You are correct, Maxima is still Catholic and her children are raised in their father's faith.

I wouldn't necessarily say Guillaume is more Catholic than his siblings (they all seem pretty genuine), but he is certainly very Catholic. You don't cry during the Te Deum if you aren't devoted and you certainly don't study theology or join Catholic fraternities (not the US Greek type of frat) if you are not serious about your Catholicism. While I doubt it would ever be an issue for any of the de Lux kids to marry a non Catholic I sincerely doubt Guillaume would chose a women who didn't share his faith.
Guillaume has said he wants a modern independent woman so I could think Guillaume would chose a woman who had another faith but that she has to understand the importance of their children being brought up as Catholic or convert to Catholicism herself since it is the main religion in Luxembourg
Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Guillaume has said he wants a modern independent woman so I could think Guillaume would chose a woman who had another faith but that she has to understand the importance of their children being brought up as Catholic or convert to Catholicism herself since it is the main religion in Luxembourg
A modern independent women who would convert just because it was the faith of her husband? That's not very independent.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 AM
Aristocracy

It is if she makes the decision ;P But I don't think Guillaume would say no to a woman he loves just because she's not Catholic.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It is if she makes the decision ;P But I don't think Guillaume would say no to a woman he loves just because she's not Catholic.
Oh sure, I think that Guillaume is himself an independent man who will marry the women of his own choice. That is not in dispute! We will have to agree to disagree on the matter of whether Guillaume would actually allow himself to become so involved with a women who is not Catholic at this juncture of his life.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
Oh sure, I think that Guillaume is himself an independent man who will marry the women of his own choice. That is not in dispute! We will have to agree to disagree on the matter of whether Guillaume would actually allow himself to become so involved with a women who is not Catholic at this juncture of his life.
I do see your point since Guillaume do have a strong belief so we don't totally disagree. Faith is a complicated matter and I would think it's a matter the Lux royals deal with. They seems quite modern but faith is obviously important for them so how they would think about a non-Catholic marrying any of the princes or the princess will be interesting to see
Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Nobility

Even if a woman choses to convert it isn't plain sailing. There are emotions (fear is one) involved with going against your upbringing and deciding to be different to your loved ones who may judge you for the decision to convert. There is a long catholic program to go through for starters. I know because a few months ago I had a major spiritual crisis and to cut a long story short I inquired with catholics about converting from protestant to catholic. I was told that I have to be 'sponsored' by a Catholic and then wait for a special program to start. The program goes for about one year and at the end of it you're catholic. ...Right now this is my little secret because it's pretty daunting (and tbh I'm not looking forward to the first confession bit).
Converting is more complicated than one would think and that's even when someone wants to do it.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes,I agree with you! The woman must accept catholic religion if she really loves him.Remmember what Mary does to marry a Frederick.
The important thing is not to be bitter over life's dissapointments.Learn to let go of the past and recognise that every day won't be sunny.But when you find yourself in the darkness of despare,rememmber that it is only in the black of night you can see stars,and those stars will lead you home!So don't be afraid to make mistakes,to stumble and fall,cause most of the time the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most!!! :)
Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I do see your point since Guillaume do have a strong belief so we don't totally disagree. Faith is a complicated matter and I would think it's a matter the Lux royals deal with. They seems quite modern but faith is obviously important for them so how they would think about a non-Catholic marrying any of the princes or the princess will be interesting to see
While I don't think that any of them would choose a non Catholic partner I think that Henri and Maria-Teresa would deal with it with perfect class, as usual.

Maria-Teresa is already on record saying that she will always support the choice of her children with respect for their partners because she remembers how it was for her. I don't think Henri would deny consent for any of their marriages because of how he had to fight for his own love. The people of Luxembourg identify as Catholic but are largely non practicing on a day-to-day basis. I doubt anyone would appreciate Paris Hilton or a Rock of Love girl, but I get the feeling that Luxembourgers genuinely want happiness for their royals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Even if a woman choses to convert it isn't plain sailing. There are emotions (fear is one) involved with going against your upbringing and deciding to be different to your loved ones who may judge you for the decision to convert. There is a long catholic program to go through for starters. I know because a few months ago I had a major spiritual crisis and to cut a long story short I inquired with catholics about converting from protestant to catholic. I was told that I have to be 'sponsored' by a Catholic and then wait for a special program to start. The program goes for about one year and at the end of it you're catholic. ...Right now this is my little secret because it's pretty daunting (and tbh I'm not looking forward to the first confession bit).
Converting is more complicated than one would think and that's even when someone wants to do it.
I'm actually a Catholic convert myself. It's not so daunting of a process, but it is time consuming if you are unbaptised or non Christian. However, those baptized persons who have lived as Christians need only instruction in the Catholic tradition and a degree of probation within the Catholic community and are not asked to undergo a full program parallel to the catechumenate. The process shouldn't be so long for you if you are already protestant. If you are serious (and previously Christian) it's just a matter of weeks or months not a year. Your local Parish should provide you with a sponsor it's not something you need to seek out on your own (though you can).
Old 10-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Nobility

You're right Lalla Meriem, it's not so much the process that's daunting. I'm thinking more about how some of my relatives will treat me afterward. That's why I haven't gone ahead and converted yet. Anyway my main point is that converting isn't plain sailing (for some).