Would the Lux. Princes be allowed to marry a Non-Catholic?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think conversion would be expected, and it wouldn't be thought of as "forcing." It would just be expected. By the time any girlfriend or boyfriend would come to the point, cross that bridge so to speak, he or she would understand full well that this is a religious family and there are certain expectations. I mean, if you're dating the son of a Rabbi, at some point you have to ask yourself, would I be willing to convert to Judaism for this person? If you're not, figure that out sooner rather than later, I hope! :D

Well, the family is only catholic because the protestant grand duke was allowed to marry a catholic and got only daughters who were brought up catholic; so, hopefully, a Luxembourg prince would be allowed to marry a protestant nowadays as well (although I personally would highly recommend the couple decides to join either one of the two churches - whether that would be catholic or protestant should be decided by the two of them not by their families).

Regarding your example, what if the son of a rabbi would like to marry the daughter of an Anglican bishop; would you still expect the Anglican person to convert or the other way around?

From my point of view, people should only convert if they truly believe - not to get married... I guess converting to be acceptable for marriage only works if you are not (as) serious about your faith. That is not to say that people from different denominations (within the same religion; and in my book Catholics and Protestants are both Christians) shouldn't try to agree on one church, I would highly recommend they do before they get married. If they cannot agree, that is probably an indication that they shouldn't get married.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom