Would the Lux. Princes be allowed to marry a Non-Catholic?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
suturegeisha said:
No, Catholics aren't punished for marrying outside of their religion. As long as one of the couple is Catholic, they are welcome to be married in the Church. And you can always get married by a JOP or something if you don't want the hassle. ;)
-Kara-
Correct, Kara. My mother is Roman Catholic and my father is Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) and they were married in the Church and he was warmly welcomed. Now, it was a given that any children born from the union (me) would be raised a Catholic. :)

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
But what happens if you don't have Catholic kids? Does your marrige become null and void?

I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it and decided to add my two cents...

From my experience, the Catholic Church won't do anything to you if a couple doesn't raise their kids to be Catholic. My mom is Catholic and my dad is not, and while I'm sure having Catholic kids was part of the conditions that enabled them to be married in the church my siblings and I never went beyond being baptized, and the church didn't come after them or anything like that. Really, what can they do? Although my parents did get divorced eventually, so now their marriage really is null and void.

delineate said:
I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it and decided to add my two cents...

From my experience, the Catholic Church won't do anything to you if a couple doesn't raise their kids to be Catholic. My mom is Catholic and my dad is not, and while I'm sure having Catholic kids was part of the conditions that enabled them to be married in the church my siblings and I never went beyond being baptized, and the church didn't come after them or anything like that. Really, what can they do? Although my parents did get divorced eventually, so now their marriage really is null and void.

Actually, there is no such thing as "divorce" in the Catholic Church. Legally, you could get divorced, but in the eyes of the Church, unless you were granted an anullment (with pretty stringent guidelines and difficult to procure) or are widowed, you are still married. If one was married in Catholic rites once, even if they procured a legal divorce, they cannot marry in Catholic rites for a second time with a different spouse.

I actually am in the same situation. My mother is Roman Catholic and my father is Protestant. However, my brother and I were raised as Roman Catholic. My parents were actually married in a civil ceremony (which is recognized by the Church) and are planning to have a church wedding on their 25th Silver Anniversary. I guess the issue of what my brother and my religion would be was never a point of contention between my parents.

Actually, even if you are married in the Church, you aren't, per se, obligated or forced to have your children baptized and raised as Catholics, as delineate said. Both people don't even have to be Catholic to be married in the Church either, just one spouse is enough, but that spouse have to be baptized and confirmed as a Roman Catholic.

Anyway, to the issue of those gorgeous guys...Since I'm Roman Catholic and have no issue on the religious front, where do I sign up to be eligible to be princess? :D ;) :p

i know many people might disagree with me, but in my opinion, there are a lot of similarities between different religions. pope john paul II called jewish people the 'elder brothers' of catholics. and christians and catholics both follow the bible. the torah, koran, and bible all try to have its people be good.

as a nonreligious person(one of my parents is athiest and the other buddhist), I think that fundamentally, as long as the couple love eachother, religion is not a huge barrier. while its good to attached to your faith, there are many things to learn from 'other versions' of it.

Dear moonlightrhapsody,

Just to clarify about the catholic annulment: it is not difficult per se. It is however a long and intensive procedure -sometimes costly-. A lot of people find the procedure cumbersome and lose patience or just refuse to go through with it. I know from experience: in my area it takes 3 years, after you are divorced in civil courts.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
.Both people don't even have to be Catholic to be married in the Church either, just one spouse is enough, but that spouse have to be baptized and confirmed as a Roman Catholic. :D ;) :p

I'm not sure about that one. I always thought that both spouse had to be catholic. Maybe it is differrent depending where you live?

ailstalia said:
i know many people might disagree with me, but in my opinion, there are a lot of similarities between different religions. pope john paul II called jewish people the 'elder brothers' of catholics. and christians and catholics both follow the bible. the torah, koran, and bible all try to have its people be good.

as a nonreligious person(one of my parents is athiest and the other buddhist), I think that fundamentally, as long as the couple love eachother, religion is not a huge barrier. while its good to attached to your faith, there are many things to learn from 'other versions' of it.

The Torah and the Old Testament are the same exact thing. Islam and Christianity both stem from Judiaism. But this is just an off topic thing.

ailstalia said:

WEll said mate *thumbs up* :)

ailstalia said:

Well said.
One Automn when I was little - just old enough to start going to school and to «listen» at the mass - I took my bike one Sunday and rode further than I was allowed. :rolleyes: I came back and told my mother that I had stopped by one of the «other» church in our little town because there was beautiful music coming out from the church. I watched the singing and the praying from outside. It was magical because of the colors of the trees and the beautiful sounds. Languages other than French all seemed like funny sounds to me at that young time. The families seem like very nice people when they got outside. There were mom and dad playing with their kid like my dad used to do. They spoke English and I was very very sad because everybody (well everybody that I knew) everybody knew that God speaks French so those nice families were all doing that for nothing and it was not fair I told my mom! :( As a 1st grade teacher she smiled and said we had to talk and she basically said what you wrote Ailstalia. I cherish that memory and sometimes try to stop by the little English protestant church by the river when I visit my parents. ;)

While the various comparisons of religions and personal anecdotes are interesting, they are off topic, which is whether or not the Luxembourg princes could marry a non-Catholic woman.

Arranged Marriages

I heard or read somewhere that each of the children have arranged marriages and aren't allowed to freely marry whom they choose. Does anyone know if this is true?

I've never heard that. I doubt it is true b/c Henri and MT married for love, to the point where Henri almost gave up his title to marry MT. Jean and the late JC were arranged.

countearl05 said:
I heard or read somewhere that each of the children have arranged marriages and aren't allowed to freely marry whom they choose. Does anyone know if this is true?

Given the fair amount of animosity between MT and her mother-in-law, and the fact that Prince Jean had to give up his succession rights to marry Helene Vestur, I really doubt this is the case.

countearl05 said:

I've not heard of that, but I highly doubt it. I have heard that there was some sort of arrangement involved in Jeand and Josephine-Charlotte's marriage, though.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Jean and JC were cousins and I do believe it was arranged.

Um....Jean and JC weren't cousins. They might be distantly realted [as all royals are pretty much] but here are their family lines:

Jean:
Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg-------Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Russia [died in childbirth]
Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg------Princess Adelheid of Anhalt-Dessau
|
Grand Duke Guillaume IV of Luxembourg------Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal
|
Grand Duchess Marie Adelaide of Luxembourg [forced to abdicate]
Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg------Prince Felix of Bourbon de Parma
|
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg------Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium

And Josephine-Charlotte's:
King Leopold I of Belgium------Princess Louise Marie of Orleans
|
King Leopold II of Belgium------Archduchess Marie Henriette of Austria [the throne of Belgium then passed to their nephew Albert, son of Leopold's brother Prince Philippe of Belgium and his wife Princess Marie of Hohenzollern, since the only son Leopold and his wife had passed away at age 10]
|
King Albert I of Belgium------Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria
|
King Leopold III of Belgium------Princess Astrid of Sweden
|
Princess Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium------Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg

So you can see, they don't have any recent relatives in common, and they are not closely related at all.
Their marriage was arranged, pretty much by Jean's mother Grand Duchess Charlotte [who was Josephine-Charlotte's godmother and namesake] and JC's grandmother Queen Elisabeth of Belgium. However, I think we can see that they've always had a happy relationship. :)

Their marriage was arranged. From what I understand, Josephine-Charlotte was not happy about it and cried on her wedding day. If you look at her wedding pictures, she was not exactly the glowing happy bride. She was very sullen and looked very sad. I'm a little vague on this, but if I remember correctly, she was upset because she was in love with someone else.

:eek: I hope they are not cousins nor related in any form or fashion:eek: .

Gabriella said:
Their marriage was arranged. From what I understand, Josephine-Charlotte was not happy about it and cried on her wedding day. If you look at her wedding pictures, she was not exactly the glowing happy bride. She was very sullen and looked very sad. I'm a little vague on this, but if I remember correctly, she was upset because she was in love with someone else.

I have heard that same story repeated over the years as well. The marriage was definitely arranged, and Josephine Charlotte was said to have been in love with someone else. Who, I don't know. :confused:

Well if her marriage was arranged, I hope that Guillaume ,Felix, Sebastien or Alexandria go through heartbreak of marrying someone else that they are not in love with, and being told that you must keep the royal family representatives happy and keep up on the royal image. For a fact, Henri didn't put up with someone telling him he couldn't marry Maria so I think that his children will be allowed to marry whoever they choose:D .

I think it is stupid if you have to change your faith because of your husband's religion. Crown princess Maxima of the Netherlands is still catholic but she has agreed to let her daughters grow up as protestants. I think that is the best thing you can do. Maxima did not give up her catholism, and we -the Dutch people- are fine with that.

I think that since MT and Henri went through such turmoil to marry each other, they wouldn't put so much pressure on who their children marry as long as they are good people who love them unconditionally. However since Gulliaume is the future Grand Duke and Luxembourgh hold alot of ties to the catholic church that his bride would have to be at least Catholic or willing to convert. You can't have the leader of Catholic country converting to his bride's faith. Where as the other children it really wouldn't matter what faith their future spouses are.

la francaise said:
Well if her marriage was arranged, I hope that Guillaume ,Felix, Sebastien or Alexandria go through heartbreak of marrying someone else that they are not in love with, and being told that you must keep the royal family representatives happy and keep up on the royal image. For a fact, Henri didn't put up with someone telling him he couldn't marry Maria so I think that his children will be allowed to marry whoever they choose:D .

I don't think they would necessarily have to marry a catholic. Their wives would probably have to change to their religion or at least in the case of Prince Guillame since he is the hereditary grand duke. The others I don't think it would matter that much.

LRF is catholic familly. So I think, that boys can marry non-catholic, but their wives will have to change religion. And, ofcourse husband of Princess Alexandra.

Back
Top Bottom