The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLPirate View Post
My guess: as mentioned earlier, the school in question is (per Lalla Meriem) "a small university in a very, very small town." Said school is something of a "diamond in the rough" - you've probably never heard of it unless you're involved in Catholic organizations (like this Knight of Columbus, for example) or pay attention to certain Catholic media, but it has a VERY high reputation in those circles. For a royal family as private and as Catholic as this one is noted to be, it makes quite a bit of sense.

Thank you for the info! I guess I figured since a lot of other royals pick high profile schools in the US and England (like George Town, UCLA, London School of Economics) that that's what she would do too. But your answer makes a lot more sense. I never knew that school was intertwined with the Catholic faith in that way.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Thank you for the info! I guess I figured since a lot of other royals pick high profile schools in the US and England (like George Town, UCLA, London School of Economics) that that's what she would do too. But your answer makes a lot more sense. I never knew that school was intertwined with the Catholic faith in that way.
Put it this way: if you were a Catholic who thought that the big-name Catholic universities have gone too "secular" (for example, Notre Dame inviting Obama to do the commencement speech despite his, shall we say, wildly divergent position on abortion), you would go to a school like the one Alexandra is attending. For the non-Catholics reading this, the closest (but likely still inexact) analogy I can make to the school's position in American Catholicism is Liberty University (Jerry Falwell's school) or Oral Roberts for Evangelical Protestants, minus the controversial founder and the creepy reputation in general (your mileage may vary on that last one).

Of course, the calculus was likely simpler for Alexandra and the family: good education + Catholic + quiet - big-city distractions (cue quip about Papa Henri's heart here) = best fit. Not that different from the rest of us, right?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Commoner

Well said, Pirate!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLPirate View Post
Put it this way: if you were a Catholic who thought that the big-name Catholic universities have gone too "secular" (for example, Notre Dame inviting Obama to do the commencement speech despite his, shall we say, wildly divergent position on abortion), you would go to a school like the one Alexandra is attending... Of course, the calculus was likely simpler for Alexandra and the family: good education + Catholic + quiet - big-city distractions (cue quip about Papa Henri's heart here) = best fit. Not that different from the rest of us, right?
I have been disappointed in the higher education of the Luxembourg royals. It took Guillaume FOREVER to finish his education, and Felix is also taking a long time to graduate from a university. Now Prince Louis and Princess Alexandra are attending universities in the USA which don't have strong reputations. Perhaps after what Henri and MT have gone through with the boys, they wanted Alexandra to have a more sheltered college life. Note that Alexandra did not go away to a Swiss boarding school like the boys, but stayed at home and attended a local secondary school.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Aristocracy

Alexandra won't need to work in a career. She may work for a few years, find a nice Catholic husband, settle down, and have a large family. She doesn't have dynastic rights, per se (only if there are no men available). She won't be carrying out duties in Luxembourg .. Even though Louis will inherit money, he will need to find a career because his family does not have dynastic rights. The official website does not include the engagements, etc of Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla, two very lovely people who I met in Belgrade. When the younger Guillaume comes to the throne, it will be his family that is the Grand Ducal family. His brothers and sister will be doing their own things, so to speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
I have been disappointed in the higher education of the Luxembourg royals. It took Guillaume FOREVER to finish his education, and Felix is also taking a long time to graduate from a university. Now Prince Louis and Princess Alexandra are attending universities in the USA which don't have strong reputations. Perhaps after what Henri and MT have gone through with the boys, they wanted Alexandra to have a more sheltered college life. Note that Alexandra did not go away to a Swiss boarding school like the boys, but stayed at home and attended a local secondary school.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Nobility

Oh
I forgot her birthday!!! She is so pretty
Léonard de Vinci
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe Princess Alexandra wanted to go to a smaller college and it had nothing to do with her parents.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Royal Highness

In new Hola there is an interview with Alexandra
youkioske
p:92-95

unfortunately I don't speak Spanish
Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Courtier

A part of the interview in German; REVUE

Revue - Happy Birthday Prinzessin Alexandra!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Courtier

I don't speak spanish fluently either, but I tried to translate as best I could:

Hola:"Highness, are you aware of that you are a person that is privileged because you belong to the Royal Family?"
Alex: "I am perfectly aware that I belong to a very privileged family and I have the good fortune to study what I have chosen. But we must not forget that, regardless of what life takes or the environment into which we were born, there are always good sides and less good sides".

Hola: "What principles have your parents instilled in you? What key ideas have they given you?"
Alex: "My parents have prepared my brothers and me for completing, at all times, and to the extent we are asked, with the tasks of official life, and we are taught to be aware of our membership in a ruling family.
But all of that, with no intention of intervening in the respective elections for which each of us chooses in his personal life. Thanks to that I think I am a young woman who feels good in her skin. After all, what matters is the fact of knowing and continuing to be natural and authentic. It is this philosophy of life where I've been educated by my parents and I am very grateful for that "

Hola: "What have you studied and where are you currently studying? What college is next?"
Alex: "after the primary education cycle Angelsberg school, I studied in high school Vuaban, in Luxembourg, where I finished high school with mentions of letters in 2009. Now I'm in a foreign university, studying social sciences and psychology as main subjects"

Hola: "Do you plan to work one day? What field and where would you like to be?"
Alex: "it is still a little early to give a definitive answer. I have chosen to follow, step by step, a scale in which, today, the main subjects are, as I said, psychology and social sciences. In the future, I think I would orientate, no doubt, my professional life to one of these fields."

Hola: "Would you be willing to work with work that is directed toward your mother, Grand Duchess, who years ago received the Path of Peace on her dedication to promoting microcredit as a weapon to fight poverty in the world, work she defined as "path to peace?"
Alex: "I am deeply convinced that through a fairer distribution of wealth in the world it would be economically possible to remove many countries out of poverty. I'm very inspired by my mom's passion, so I do not rule out getting involved later in a profession which encourages the development of "social business", and companies of public interest. "

Hola: "Your Highness, you seem to be good at languages. You have a reputation of being multilingual. How many do you speak? "
Alex: "I speak Luxembourgish, which is the first language here, the first language to be learned. I speak German, which is studied two years later, and then French, which is also mandatory. After that, English and also Spanish. I think, on the other hand, I possess a good knowledge of Italian "

Hola: "What do you feel a girl like you, who had to grow up with four brothers? You would be the queen of the house, right? "
Alex: "I've been lucky enough to have four brothers, and the four have been my favorite! They are all very different and at the same time, perfectly complementary. Each and everyone of them takes care of me and always supports me! "

Hola: "Your Highness is part of a family that gives a fair amount of importance to sports. "
Alex: "Indeed, I have had the luck of having grown up in a family where sport has a very special place. From my earliest childhood I practiced rhythmic gymnastics, dance, tennis, downhill skiing, water skiing ... And since I can, I surrender to distance running, just to run! "

Hola: "What are your musical preferences? "
Alex: "My musical preferences are quite divergent. My choice is usually always more focused on the song itself, the melody and the text, than the musical trend or style to which it belongs. I equally enjoy the crooner Frank Sinatra's classics as Johnny Cash or Jack Jackson, Jason Mraz and Martin Solveig. It all depends on my mood and the moment I find "

Hola: "Do you like cinema? What type of cinema? "
Alex: "I have special affection for movies that base their argument on real stories and characters that are committed for a just cause and, thus, demonstrate something worth fighting for. A movie, besides being interesting or entertaining, first of all has to tell me something or at least make me laugh."

Hola: "Do you like the fashion world? Do you follow the latest trends? What's your style? "
Alex: "I'm not very faithful to any in particular. Everything depends on the circumstances and occasions that arise. When I feel comfortable, I think the final result corresponds to my personality, I care little about the origin of clothing. And if I have to chose something in particular ... I especially like the Asian-inspired style and American fashion from the fifties and sixties. "

Hope that helps!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:25 AM
Royal Highness

thank you sugarbaby
nice interview
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Thank you for translating Sugarbaby!. Its my first time seeing Princess Alexandra giving an interview!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Thanks Sugarbaby! This interview is very interesting.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a nice interview! Thank you for posting!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Aristocracy

What a lovely interview there
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

Enjoyed reading the interview.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Enjoyed reading the interview.
And how well she speaks.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Nobility

She is turning into real beauty!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:21 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Posts speculating that Alexandra is pregnant have been removed, as unless we get an announcement from the Grand Ducal Court, Alexandra is not pregnant (and highly unlikely to begin with).

Any queries should be referred to the moderators via private message.

JessRulz
Luxembourg Forum Moderator
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 AM

how tall is she? any idea?