The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Personally I think, that if one is going to read some sort of deeper meaning behind it all and Prince Louis is expected to be someone that the other teens look up to, that it is the exact right message to send to kids/teens - it tells them that certain actions may have consequences, and should therefore not be done if you're not ready to deal with them. It's a wake-up call, to put it like that. And it shows that it may happen to anyone, regardless of status.

Not that I think that teens try to emulate what the royal family does... A recent survey in Norway showed that teens were the ones who cared the least about what the royal family did - they usually have other role-models they prefer. Granted the Norwegian royal family is a bit settled these days, and don't have hot marriagable sons... but it's a good indicator.

It's also, in my opinion, wise that they don't rush into marriage. Certainly, it is ideal for a child to grow up with two parents who are in a relationship, but that relationship has to be in a way that is beneficial to both parents and child. It doesn't help if either party feels forced into it. A nasty divorce might be far worse for the child to go through than having two parents who might not be married, but are on friendly terms.

And who knows what will happen in the future?
I agree, Anne. I know their situation isn't ideal, but it could have been handled a lot worse. Louis could have left his girlfriend when he found out, or the family could have hid it for a long time.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Royal Highness

I am glad that they are taking responsibility for their actions and I am glad that the grand ducal family has been open about this. No matter what type of situation that paved the way for this, the two have to be parents and be the best they can. It seems as if the mother is independent and had plans of her own, so I kind of don't think she was conniving. But who knows. I hope these two do marry. And I hope the child will have a title. I am so shocked, but this type of thing is normal in the U.S. (unfortunately!!!). I hope the Grnad Duke and his wife are ok.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Aristocracy

it is very common in the united states. i graduated with 6 girls pregnant or have already had a child. my graduating class was that of 60 so 1/10 of my class was or had been pregnant. no one was bothered by this statistic either. very sad thing
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that unless anyone here knows them personally, we won't know what both of their thoughts on the baby are, so it might be bad to speculate.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Royal Highness

Yeah it is sad. It is like everytime you turn around some young lady is a single mother or some young man has gotten someone pregnant. I always think in my head, does this have to be this way? Doesn't one have a better vision for the future???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamass
it is very common in the united states. i graduated with 6 girls pregnant or have already had a child. my graduating class was that of 60 so 1/10 of my class was or had been pregnant. no one was bothered by this statistic either. very sad thing
Old 09-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamass
It's amazing how different things can be from one place to another. I too live in the US, and the area I grew up in teenage pregnancy was almost a non-entity. There was one girl 3 years ahead of me who had a baby shortly after she graduated...but in the other years before me, my year and the years since there haven't been any that I know of...
Old 09-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by drimal
Correct!:)

By the way you could say that for every commoner marrying a royal but in my eyes these statements are most of the time unfair because they love eachother and it isn't all about money or celebrity.

I wouldn't like to change with her because she will be in the spotlight of the medias and she will enter a completly new world of gloss and glamour.

For Prince Louis it will be a big changing too; up to now Guillaume (Hereditary grand Duke), Felix (representing the Grand Ducal house in sport events... and he is handsome ) and Alexandra (only girl of the five children) were in the main interest for the medias (if you loke this forum you will remark that there weren't many news or pictures from Louis in the past), but in the future he will move into the spotlight; how can he handle this new situation?

I asked myself how 23 year old Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume is feeling about 4 year younger Louis becoming a father. Strange situation!
i can imagine, from the point of view of an eldest child, guillaume is feeling more on the grounds of one really big "what the...?" imo, we have a right/obligation to reproduce before any of our younger siblings. it's a slap in the face if we don't. however, things like this do happen, and eventhough things will always be awkward for them all from now on, i think they'll all accept it and move on, with very little future resentment in the future. as for louis and his g/f comming into the spotlight more, i don't think that'll be the case, but who knows. louis has lived a private life up until now, and i think he, his g/f, and the baby will continue to do so, unless something else happens or comes up. like i said before, i wish them all the best.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Has Guillaume a girlfriend?I´m sure if he has one then he will now be very serious that she won´t be pregnant.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Gentry

I was extremely shocked at the news that Louis is about to become a father, especially when the rumours were aimed at Felix! And to tell you the truth, I am extremely disappointed in him. You see, I had a friend in a similar situation and because it wasn't a western culture we were brought up in, it was very difficult for them. While my friend didn't necessarily give up some of the benefits of a carefree young life, it had to accommodate more around their kid. In addition to that, a lot of sacrifices were made.

I think someone said that Louis's parents would not be thrilled and I'm sure they aren't not only because they are part of a royal family, but because they know that Louis is too young to be in the situation he finds himself in. They know that he shouldn't have to sacrifice the years were he is supposed to start looking after himself by looking after someone else. Having said that, I think they know that they only thing they can do is to be there for him. Life is so much easier when you know you can count on your family.

Also, this announcement was made perhaps after the lady's first trimester, much like in the tradition of announcing royal pregnancies.

Interestingly, I'm sure we enjoyed all the photos that they family has released within the year (eg, when they were all in black tie, another when they were wearing white tops and jeans) and it's kind of hard to think that Louis will have to start his own set of family pictures!

I wish Louis and his girlfriend the best of luck.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv
Has Guillaume a girlfriend?I´m sure if he has one then he will now be very serious that she won´t be pregnant.
What happened to Louis will serve as an eye opener for Guillaume..He's the heir and he has to be more careful of his actions..Indeed, he's human but reality cant hide the fact that he is born royal..People looked up to him and his family..Everything he does, people watch and say something..In every action comes responsibility..

Old 09-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Courtier

...Shocking. I wish them all the best. They're so young!

If they DO get married, what title will the baby get? If they don't get married before he/she's born, will the baby gain succession rights if his/her parents get married later?

Didn't Louis and Pauline Ducruet (Princess Stephanie's kids) become un-illegitimized after their parents got married?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Royal Highness

Amazing how far society has broken down when we welcome children born out wedlock to two careless teenagers/young adults...

If he were not royal and rich, the poor baby would be the one with the short end of the stick.

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned values and responsibility and common sense?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Nobility

Do you have any idea about wedding or so? Coz, in a royal family, for the children to be known, the parents have to me married in civil and religious, especially for the Luxembourgs, who are catholic....at least in Brazil, where I live and the biggest catholic country in the world, the marriage in church is important!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey60
...Shocking. I wish them all the best. They're so young!

If they DO get married, what title will the baby get? If they don't get married before he/she's born, will the baby gain succession rights if his/her parents get married later?

Didn't Louis and Pauline Ducruet (Princess Stephanie's kids) become un-illegitimized after their parents got married?
Yes, Louis and Pauline became legitimized when their parents married and thus became part of the line of succession. (I think the law regarding that changed so if Stephanie were to marry Camille's father, Camille's status wouldn't change.)

I wonder if the Grand Duchy has any laws that spell out what's going to happen to this baby in terms of the succession.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since Jean's children are all counts and countesses, I believe the baby will have a similar title.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Courtier

I am of mixed feelings on this subject.

On the one hand I think it is admirable and commendable that Louis and Tessy are taking responsibility for the consequences of their actions. Not everyone of their age (or frankly older than them) is as mature as to accept such responsibility.

However, in this enlightened day and age of sex education and abstience being the best form of birth control etc., I don't understand how this could happen. Yes accidents happen and things break or things aren't completely full proof in the act of, and perhaps that is what happened with them. But it seems a bit of a stretch.

Then if you can have a third hand, this latest development makes me think that the future of the Luxembourg royal family is at great risk. They are on their way to becoming the scandlous Grimaldis. First Maria Teresa and Josephine-Charlotte's publcly rocky relationship and now an out of wedlock child to the teenage son of the ruling couple. Soap opera writers must be taking notes from this family.

Interesting bit of PR by the royal court however, to present the news of an out of wedlock child by a teenage prince as Great news! The Grand Ducal couple are going to be grandparents! As if it was on the same level as the King and Queen of Spain or the Queens of Denmark and the Netherlands announcing their own impending grandparentage - noting of course that their sons are adult men and married to adult, mature women.

I'm sure that if Josephine-Charlotte were alive today she would be hitting the roof.

From the pictures I saw of this family, I innately thought that Henri and Maria-Teresa seemed to be parents who were relaxed with their children in that they allowed their children greater liberties than most other parents. While it seemed like a breath of fresh air at the time in comparison to the strict upbringing the British Queen provided for her children or the inattentive one the Danish Queen provided her sons, in light of this incident, it appears as if Henri and Maria-Teresa were perhaps too lax with their children. The couple always seemed like they were more friends than parents with their children and while that may seem like a good thing, it's not necessarily what kids need.

However things turn out, whether Louis and Tessy get married or not, whether this child has a title or no title, whether Tessy turns out to have been preying on Louis's money or truly loved him only time will tell. But I hope that this child is provided for, not just financially as he or she obviously would be, but also emotionally and psychologically by his parents rather than by nannies.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Genevieve, it's not the worst thing that could have happened. I mean, they didn't raise a criminal, after all.

And besides, nobody (well, except me) really talks about Princess Caroline of Monaco having two children conceived illegitimately anymore. (Granted, she married their fathers later.) Nobody said her parents were lax with her (or with Albert). Stephanie, maybe that's a case of lax parenting... but oh well. Monaco has survived so far.

This family will probably do just fine in the future.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Genevieve, it's not the worst thing that could have happened. I mean, they didn't raise a criminal, after all.
I completely agree Iow...things a lot worse have happened to other families and they are still on the throne and respected by at least some of the population. And even if Louis and Tessy do decide to break up, I'm sure Louis will keep in contact with her and the baby either because he wants to or because of public scrutiny. But if they do break up, I'm sure Tessy will be perfectly capable of taking care of the baby. Single mothers do it all the time.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Courtier

Ah, Genevieve, you took the words right out of my mouth. Well said.

Anyway, over on the Glittering Royal Events board, there was a poster who said something very striking about the whole situation, and as such I would like to paraphrase her here [her name is Lindy]:
In response to someone saying that the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess seemed happy about what had happened, she replied that she really did not feel that Henri and MT were overjoyed with the situation. She goes on to say that she wondered about what had been going on with the LRF for the past few months- there were no photos of the family during their annual summer holiday in France, and Henri attended several reasonably big events without MT [Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia's birthday, Prince Antoine de Ligne's funeral [who by the way was Henri's uncle]] and that neither of them went to the wedding of Henri's cousin's daughter Princess Elisabeth de Ligne, and etc. And she's right and I didn't realize it until she pointed it out- for them to be missing from these events is really quite unusual. Do you think that this possibly could have been because of turmoil in the household? Not entirely unfeasible, right?
I do believe that Henri and MT are pretty conservative, MT more than Henri- she was born and raised in a pretty strict Catholic household [again, I'm paraphrasing the original poster]. You can't imagine that having their 19 year old son, who is unmarried and for that fact doesn't really seem to be doing anything with his life as of yet [ie, no college, please don't jump down my throat as it is just my observation!] coming up to them and saying "Oh, yeah, Mom and Dad, my girlfriend is pregnant with my child" and them doing double backflips with excitement, can you?
Plus, her pregnancy was announced in around her third month [due March 2006- so she became pregnant very roughly in June 2005]- I think that they probably decided to head off any potential and gossipy damage by announcing she was pregnant before she started to show. Better to control the fire than add the fuel, as they say.

This really isn't anything new to this family- look at Prince Jean, Henri's brother, and his [ex?] wife Helene Vestur- their first daughter was born before they ever got married. And it's a well-known fact, but nobody says anything about it. Wierd. I wonder if Louis will have to give up his right to the throne, like his uncle Jean did?

I hope it all works out. I do so love this family!
Old 09-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle

And besides, nobody (well, except me) really talks about Princess Caroline of Monaco having two children conceived illegitimately anymore. (Granted, she married their fathers later.) Nobody said her parents were lax with her (or with Albert). Stephanie, maybe that's a case of lax parenting... but oh well. Monaco has survived so far.

I agree with you on that, but also remember- for one reason or another, that's kind of "expected" in Monaco. Not so much in Luxembourg, as far as I can tell.