The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Commoner

I have a question for those experts here in the forum.

Prince Louis will give up his rights to the succesion of the Luxemburgo throne, so the future children he might have with his wife will be born without rights, that's clear from my point of view. But what happens with Gabriel? Since he was born before his father renounce he will have right to the succesion of the thone, won't he? Or the Luxemburg Laws clearly specify that those born out of wedlock are born without rights? Is this a written Law or more like a tradition?

I guess that with Princes Guillaume and Felix the succesion is guaranteed, and there won't be a problem with the rights of Gabriel, but maybe some of the wiser members of this forum will clarify this inquiry I have.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness

Congrats to the happy couple! Is he giving up his right because he didn't seek approval for the marriage? Or did he get approval?

Old 08-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulation! I hope they'll be very happy.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulations and good luck to them both. I only hope that they have thought it through carefully and are not being pressured into 'doing the right thing'.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
But what happens with Gabriel? Since he was born before his father renounce he will have right to the succesion of the thone, won't he? Or the Luxemburg Laws clearly specify that those born out of wedlock are born without rights? Is this a written Law or more like a tradition?
Children born outside of marriage do not have succession rights. Gabriel never had them. The children have to be more in marriage and marriages the are in accordance with house laws (I take that to mean the Head of the House would have to approve the marriage, in this case Grand Duke Henri)

More information is avalible at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of...ourgian_Throne

I think we need to be careful when discussing Henri actions around his son. He may have given his personal blessing as a father, but not as a Grand Duke.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy

I am also curious as to whether Prince Louis is voluntarily giving up his succession rights or if it is a matter of their house laws? I don't know much about Luxembourg royals but they strike me as a more progressive, modern ruling family so I would like to know the reason. Anybody?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Wow. Don't know why I'm suprised by this news. I wish them all the luck and happiness in the world now and LATER in life. Goodness knows they are going to need all the help and luck they can get.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Holy cow, I was only absent for a few days and look what happens?! I'm shocked, frankly. I didn't expect them to marry after having Gabriel. This was way out of left field. Now, as much as I hope their marriage is a happy and successful one, I question the motivations. No one bash me for that, because it's a legitimate concern and don't bear them any ill will. I know of too many people who have a child before marriage, end up getting married, then eventually divorce. Oh well, I hope it works for them.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I have a question for those experts here in the forum.

Prince Louis will give up his rights to the succesion of the Luxemburgo throne, so the future children he might have with his wife will be born without rights, that's clear from my point of view. But what happens with Gabriel? Since he was born before his father renounce he will have right to the succesion of the thone, won't he? Or the Luxemburg Laws clearly specify that those born out of wedlock are born without rights? Is this a written Law or more like a tradition?

I guess that with Princes Guillaume and Felix the succesion is guaranteed, and there won't be a problem with the rights of Gabriel, but maybe some of the wiser members of this forum will clarify this inquiry I have.

Thanks in advance.
I imagine that a child born out of wedlock won't have rights if there are legitimate children of the same father. Thus there is a probability that the next child of the same parents but born after the marriage would have a closer claim to the throne than his older brother. As there are no other grandchildren of the current duke around and there probably won't be any for the next two or three years, it's seems like a sensible idea for prince Louis to solve this problem this way.

I mean, little Marius in Norway is only the elder half-brother of the future queen Ingrid, he is not Haakon's son. But how would the world react if Marius actually was the son of Haakon and Mette-Marit, but born out of wedlock, so his baby sister would be the heiress and not him, even though his parents married later? That would pose so many problems! There are constitutions which allow for a later legitimization of children in case their parents married (like Monaco) and others who don't (Britain). I'm not sure about Luxemburg but wouldn't wonder if it was like in Britain or the former German states.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Commoner

Louis has decided to give up his rights and Gabriel's rights to the throne. He chose to do it in this way. Louis will keep his title (HRH prince of Luxembourg), but Tessy and Gabriel will only bear the surname ''de Nassau'' (of Nassau) and will not have any titles. I think he did this so the Luxemburgian people would accept the marriage. Guillaume, Felix and Sebastien can succeede their father, so the Luxemburgian throne succeeding is safe.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I mean, little Marius in Norway is only the elder half-brother of the future queen Ingrid, he is not Haakon's son. But how would the world react if Marius actually was the son of Haakon and Mette-Marit, but born out of wedlock, so his baby sister would be the heiress and not him, even though his parents married later? That would pose so many problems! There are constitutions which allow for a later legitimization of children in case their parents married (like Monaco) and others who don't (Britain). I'm not sure about Luxemburg but wouldn't wonder if it was like in Britain or the former German states.
Luxembourg does not allow for re-legitmatizing children. Monaco is the only state that does that.

I don't think you can compare this to Norway. If Louis was the oldest this might have played out differently. But Gabriel would be 4th in line and by the time he is old enough to understand the situation he would probably be a lot lower down (Gulluimane and Felix would likely have children by that point). If anything this situation is comparable to Prince Friso of the Netherlands. His daughters lost there rights because of the actions of there parents but since they would have been 4th (and then went down after Princess Alexia was born) in didn't really seem to matter. In addition there was a younger brother (Prince Constjain = Prince Felix and Prince Sebestian) and cousins (Princess Margarit and children = Prince Gulluimane and children). So there wasn't a huge out cry over a very hypothetical situation.

Another point if Gabriel was a girl this would all be a moot point because she couldn't succed anyways.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
Henri's brother had to give up his rights to throne because of child out wedding. But then, Henri changed it and he got the title back. So this is for me really mistery
Henris brother prince Jean never lost his title. He rennounced only his succession rights. In September 1995 Grand Duke Jean created his daughter-in-law and her children Count/Countess of Nassau and in 2004 Grand Duke Henri created his the children of Jean Prince/Princess of Nassau with the style of HRH but not Hélène as she and Jean are divorced.
But Jean was everytime Prince of Luxemburg with the syle of HRH.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Nobility

So...They will do!After all these talks that they are too young...
Congratulations!!!
I am happy for them and little Gabriel.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Commoner

Congratulations to them!!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Aristocracy

congradulations to them all. there is an article about it on hello magazine website for those who have not seen it. it states that he is willingly giving up his right to the throne when they marry on september 29.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Congratulations to the couple! They are doing the right thing for the child I think. Such a quick wedding date though.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Courtier

Hello Magazine Article

Prince Louis will marry Tessy Anthony on September 29 and will give up his claim to the throne. http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...3/princelouis/
Old 08-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

that is great. They really are a cute couple. But I hope they don't feel pressured into doing it either.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

What can I say? Congratulations and all the happiness to the couple!
Thay chose right time to announce the marriage, just as everyone calmed down and though they weren't ever going to marry!
Oh, and congratulations to little Gabriel as well!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

Article

I read that the date is going to be on September 29 they are going to get marry at the same place that his son gabriel was baptisted, he said that when he says I do he will give up his right to the throne. If you guys go to www.hellomagazine.com there is an article about it there. I congradulate them on a new begining.