Prince Louis and Princess Tessy to Divorce: January 18, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She shouldn't have a title and if she isn't a consort anymore, she should revert to Ms. Tessy Antony or something of that kind. No courtesy title. Brutal, but this habit of keeping ex-consorts in this social limbo has gotten old and shouldn't' be done. If she wants out, she should get out and not have a title to use as a calling card.

It's not a courtesy title. A courtesy title would be joachims ex wife being given her countess title.

When you marry royalty, you basically give up a last name. Yes, the royal houses have names, but they aren't generally used. Sarah, duchess of York is not a courtesy title. Duchess of York is her surname. As Princess of Wales was for Diana. They lose all honorifics like HrH. It's not that uncommon, when people get divorced an ex wife keeps her married last name, unless she remarries. Even among commoners.

Well, that's sad but actually not surprising given the recent Instagram posts of hers. It sounded like someone had checked out of the marriage. And not spending the Christmas holiday with your spouse....big red flag. I actually kind of expected it. Sad for those poor kids but they still have parents and an extended family who love them.

I was rooting for these two to make it but as its already been pointed out...when you marry young..sometimes one or both of the spouses change and they no longer want the same things. Sometimes you marry young and you get it right and sometimes you don't.

Does Luxembourg have nobility...what's the precedent for divorced spouses. I can't imagine that she will keep her HRH but I would think it will fall into what the Brits do....Tessy, Princess of Luxembourg and if she remarries, that's it...it's gone.

Call me crazy but I am thinking of Wallis Simpson and what was said when the BRF was discussing her title. To paraphrase, no one needs a bunch of HRH's parading around Europe.

I'm surprised she wants out; it's not like they have major pressures and it's not like she's been forbidden to work and earn her own way in her own right. She has had the best of all worlds thus far and she has no legitimate reason to end the marriage.

Might be Louis that wants out...might just be a mutual decision that neither are happy blah blah.

LaRae

I'm surprised she wants out; it's not like they have major pressures and it's not like she's been forbidden to work and earn her own way in her own right. She has had the best of all worlds thus far and she has no legitimate reason to end the marriage.

None of us can say that either of these two people don't have a legitimate reason. Chances are we will never know why, and nor should we.

As for the title - if she was created Princess in her own right, wouldn't she keep it?

I'm so surprised at this news and feel quite sad for the boys especially.
It worries me that in retrospect Tessy seems to have been dropping hints on her public instagram page and then went on to release her own statement - according to some sources directly to some newspapers including the UK's Daily Mail, despite the Cour releasing an official statement already.
I hope Tessy isn't looking to make herself well known after this

Maybe as in the case of Princess Alexandra of Denmark, she will be called Countess of Nassau.

I'm so surprised at this news and feel quite sad for the boys especially.
It worries me that in retrospect Tessy seems to have been dropping hints on her public instagram page and then went on to release her own statement - according to some sources directly to some newspapers including the UK's Daily Mail, despite the Cour releasing an official statement already.
I hope Tessy isn't looking to make herself well known after this

I find it irritating that she was dropping hints on IG about something as personal as the state of her marriage and later hopping around on the beach sporting clothes reportedly to advertise a friend's company like a reality TV starlet.

Why was that necessary at all? And why did she release a separate statement basically identical to what the Cour Grand Ducal had already released about the divorce? :ermm:

Now Tessy has money, good job, connections, rich friends. She doesn't need her husband anymore.
I think that your statement is true to a certain extent. Princess Tessy may lose some connections and rich friends when she is no longer a member of the Grand Ducal family.
Strange interview from Marcin Lobacz about Princess Tessy wearing his dresses in Luxarazzi.
The interview is awkward indeed. Mr Lobacz comes across as high-strung. It is nice that Princess Tessy helped him to promote his creations.

Last edited:

Why do you say she wants out ? It could be him or joint decision. If it is her how can you say she has no reason to end the marriage we have no idea about their personal life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I find it irritating that she was dropping hints on IG about something as personal as the state of her marriage and later hopping around on the beach sporting clothes reportedly to advertise a friend's company like a reality TV starlet.

Why was that necessary at all? And why did she release a separate statement basically identical to what the Cour Grand Ducal had already released about the divorce? :ermm:

Says much about her character.

It doesn't sound like there is any real reason for a divorce, other than that Tessy is bored and therefore would prefer to go out into the world and live the life of a well off single young woman. No excuse or reason to divorce and frankly I hope the Grand Duke doesn't let her keep her title.

It doesn't sound like there is any real reason for a divorce, other than that Tessy is bored and therefore would prefer to go out into the world and live the life of a well off single young woman. No excuse or reason to divorce and frankly I hope the Grand Duke doesn't let her keep her title.

Wow we have no idea why they are divorcing. You just assume that she.is to blaim :bang: running off to live the single life. Is she abandoning her sons in your little scenario or did you forget about them :ermm

She has raised two kids, completed a masters and now works in intelligence. Not to mention, having quite a high profile in her charity work, more so than either sister in law who are actually members of the family.

But of course we are in the 1960s again where she trapped him into marriage with a baby. Abd now that she is rich she dumped him for no ther reason then to party. I mean any woman wearing shorts on a beach is clearly a slut who wants to break up her marriages.

We must send our condolences to her husband who must be bereft as his wife dumped him. Certainly help find him a good nanny as the party girl don't be much of a mom.:whistling:

By following Tessy's Instagram you could see a change last year. Tessy started to attend more and more big galas and parties alone without Louis, thanking at her post designer Lobacz. She seemed to love to promote and present the dresses and felt sometimes like a model imo.
She could also have left those cryptical messages out of her Instagram. It wasn't very classy to post them.
I just hope that Tessy and Louis will work things out well with their two young boys.

Maybe she plans to marry someone else.

I did not find Marcin Lobacz's interview with Luxarazzi strange. The design process, favorite creations, and his background seem fairly standard.

As for Tessy's title, the GDF has been inconsistent and unclear so anything is possible. I think there's a good chance GD Henri will create another title for Tessy (countess?) if she can't keep the Princess of Luxembourg title. Despite an unusual entry into the family, she has been active in charities and NGOs.

If she's just leaving Louis for reasons other than something serious like adultery or abuse, she shouldn't get a title at all. She wants out, let her leave; just no title to use as entree to jet set stuff and a billionaire.

Maybe she plans to marry someone else.

^That would explain why she's so suddenly determined to push leaving Louis through.

As for her very grand appearances at galas, it would seem she has a hankering for a jet set socialite life and is no longer interested in domestic life.

It could be Louis wanting the divorce. We don't know all the details and probably never will. I'm not going to jump to conclusions right now and assume Tessy is at fault.

What if they grew apart? Staying in a broken marriage "only for the children" or "appearances" could be more damaging than divorcing and successfully co-parenting.

I think the family will remain in London for now due to their jobs, the boys' school, and Louis' Master's studies.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Prince Louis is the less clever (dyslexique in english? ) of the 5.

Holy guacamole, again with so much sexist judgment based on speculations.

There seems to be an insinuation that any other reasons for ending a marriage besides abuse and adultery are unacceptable. Never mind that people do grow apart, that love dies and is not enough, that staying in a loveless marriage is the worst you can do to yourself, your spouse and your kids, that there is so much that goes on in a marriage that we don't and will never know about. Geesh, how about some empathy.

Sorry I know this is TRF and at heart it is a very conservative lot in here but words like "no longer interested in domestic life", "Tessy is bored", "wants to be a model" will always appall me for how sexist they are. We don't know the reasons but it's clear she is ambitious and that should not be taken against her. I do think she wants to be more of a "player" in the field and not be limited into being this quiet, perfectly prim and proper, un-opinionated wife of a Prince without actual duties in his father's kingdom. I support any young woman who wants to shine as brightly as she can and as much as she wants to, as long as she doesn't put her children's paternal family in a bad light. Does she need to be more private about her personal life and more cautious about how she "sells" herself in social media? Absolutely. She will know that the more she shares, the more she will attract judgment. Hopefully she will learn.

Funny how people seem to say she got lucky with Louis as she has had many opportunities she wouldn't have had without him but her personality is the type that would have found success even without the royal privileges. It would have been a different, more financially-challenged path for sure but sooner or later she would have ended up in the same place but with less Instagram followers. I do think Louis got lucky with her, to be honest. We'll never know the role she played in helping him in his studies and being a source of strength and stability but I suspect it's a lot. We will never know but it's good to give a more positive angle to the relationship rather than give sexist reasons.

moby, you are correct. tessy seems to be getting the backlash - i guess she can do no good from now on. "it is her fault the marriage broke, she wants to now live the life of a private citizen with all the privileges because she got bored of royal life". that seems to me like such a far flung statement - specially as tessy invested herself in her royal role and overcame the obstacle of having had a child out of wedlock to win the respect of luxembourg.

truth is that we really don't know much about what happened. in previous royal divorces (joachim&alexandra, charles&diana) we found out about extra marital relationships, but in this case, as in the case of martha louise & ari, we really have no clue as to what happened.

and sincerely, tessy doesn't struck me as the materialistic, gold digger type. i guess we will get more info on what happens when the GD announces how she will be referred from now onwards. if he lets her keep a title, then that is a good indication that the relationship broke due to their characters drifting and that there was no major drama. only time will tell.

Unfortunately Prince Louis is the less clever (dyslexique in english? ) of the 5.

Sadly, there is a lot of misunderstanding out there about dyslexia. :sad:

It has nothing to do with how "clever" one is or isn't. According to medical professionals and psychiatrists it is a learning disorder than can sometimes afflict even highly intelligent people.

So very sad news.

I know some famous and private couples (even from my own family) who married very young (around 20, like Tessy and Louis) and they are still together (over 20 years)
And people do change all the time, not only in the range 20-30.

I dont see an annulment because I don't think they were forced to marry but decided to marry AFTER Gabriel was born so it is likely their marriage was based on love or at least they had thought carefully about their decision and knew what they were doing. They had a second child and Tessy got titles after a few years ... I don't see any possible reason for the catholic church to accept for an annullment.

I don´t understand who and why this annulment thing here was brought up..?! This was a regular marriage like many others. And like many others these days, it failed. So the only possible way to seperate it is a divorce. Neither of the pair has been forced to do anything (FEELING to be obliged to get married because ones father is a catholic reigning Grand Duke is no reason enough...:whistling:). The 2 sons are proof this marriage has been "executed"... So why on earth any idea of an annulment?!

:previous:

Because an annulment has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not not a marriage produced children. The presence of children does not necessarily prove that a valid, Catholic marriage is in place.

The presence of children only proves that both parties are/were fertile.

As has been explained repeatedly a null marital contract concerns whether or not the conditions for a valid, sacramental marriage were in place(according to Roman Catholic canon law) at the time a couple took vows:

1)no coercing of either party
2)mental/emotional competence at the time of the wedding
3)Refusal to have children

To name a few.

My belief is that the conditions were met but my opinion does not count. Time will tell if the couple pursues this route. I personally doubt it.

Last edited:
I don´t understand who and why this annulment thing here was brought up..?! This was a regular marriage like many others. And like many others these days, it failed. So the only possible way to seperate it is a divorce. Neither of the pair has been forced to do anything (FEELING to be obliged to get married because ones father is a catholic reigning Grand Duke is no reason enough...:whistling:). The 2 sons are proof this marriage has been "executed"... So why on earth any idea of an annulment?!

Because they are both young and it us natural for people to think they may want to remarry. Some people suggesting she is divorcing him for another man :bang: they are Catholics. They can't remarry in the church unless there is an annulment. Unlike thecanglican church, Catholics don't make exceptions. So of course people are going to wonder if they can qualify for an annulment.

By the way therefore many grounds for an annulment. Children is only one. There are plenty of couples with kids who have been given an annulment.

http://www.stmarys-waco.org/documents/Grounds for Marriage Annulment in the Catholic Church.pdf

By my understanding the Grand-Duke decreed that Madame Tessy de Nassau née Antony could be addressed with her spouse's titles (Prince de Luxembourg, Prince de Nassau) and form of address (Royal Highness), as is the longstanding social custom.

Exactly like the spouse of a Baron, or a Count, or a Duke, can be addressed as Baroness, Countess, Duchess. By my understanding the Grand-Duke has not elevated Tessy into the nobility (royalty) on her own right. Unlike in the United Kingdom (Sarah of York, Diana of Wales, Raine Spencer) on the continent the addressing with the hudband's style and titles ends when the husband is no longer the husband indeed, which is as logical as it is.

Back
Top Bottom