Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

and champagne and Chanel bags ...

Old 02-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Tessy clearly sees it as fair that the Grand Ducal Family pay for her upkeep whereas the British law places the emphasis on the spouses assets not those of his family.
Perhaps Tessy is not entirely off the mark. The royal convention for centuries has been that a woman marries into her husband's family. In retrospect, was not the divorce settlement of the Queen of Denmark's former daughter-in-law somewhat a divorce between the wife, her husband AND the royal family? To some extent Diana and Sarah were also divorcing a royal family as much as they were divorcing a husband.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addapalla View Post
Perhaps Tessy is not entirely off the mark. The royal convention for centuries has been that a woman marries into her husband's family. In retrospect, was not the divorce settlement of the Queen of Denmark's former daughter-in-law somewhat a divorce between the wife, her husband AND the royal family? To some extent Diana and Sarah were also divorcing from the royal family as much as they were divorcing a husband.
An important difference is that those ladies became official representing members of the family as their husbands were high up in the line of succession, so yes, their divorce also included breaking with royal life. In Tessy's case her marriage to Louis clearly did not include becoming an official member of the grand ducal family. Instead, Louis gave up his succession rights because he had fathered a child with her before marriage.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Tessy at her Instagram
when my divorce started more than three years ago I realised that the only thing that could get me through this hell is sports.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYgjK5F...=1j3lf7esi8ol1

And Instagram!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Perhaps Tessy is not entirely off the mark. The royal convention for centuries has been that a woman marries into her husband's family. In retrospect, was not the divorce settlement of the Queen of Denmark's former daughter-in-law somewhat a divorce between the wife, her husband AND the royal family? To some extent Diana and Sarah were also divorcing from the royal family as much as they were divorcing a husband.
The same convention has applied to commoners in Britain, and accordingly the majority of British women take the name of their husband's family on marriage.

However, under British laws, parents do not even have an obligation to pay for their own children after the children have attained their majority, so the natural consequence is that they also have no obligation to pay for their children's spouses or former spouses.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The same convention has applied to commoners in Britain, and accordingly the majority of British women take the name of their husband's family on marriage.

However, under British laws, parents do not even have an obligation to pay for their own children after the children have attained their majority, so the natural consequence is that they also have no obligation to pay for their children's spouses or former spouses.
Given that neither Louis nor Tessy is a British subject, I don't think it's relevant that in Britain women take their husband's surname and completely give up their maiden name. This is not how it works in Luxembourg. If I've been informed correctly, Luxembourg women revert back to their maiden name after a divorce (well, Tessy is already doing that before her divorce is finalized but strangely combining it with her husband's titles...).
Old 02-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
An important difference is that those ladies became official representing members of the family as their husbands were high up in the line of succession, so yes, their divorce also included breaking with royal life. In Tessy's case her marriage to Louis clearly did not include becoming an official member of the grand ducal family. Instead, Louis gave up his succession rights because he had fathered a child with her before marriage.
Also Luxembourg is small and doesn't need many full-time royals. Even if Louis and Tessy had married without surprise baby and kept his place in succession, they wouldn't have regular official duties. Look at Felix and Claire who appear only occasionally outside of major events (Octave, National Day).
Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it doesn't matter what historically people have done, if Tessy is as smart as people and she herself make out she should surely have researched current British law before seeking a divorce? Its pretty clear to most people that the Courts base decisions on the spouses assets, not those of his or her family or what they might inherit in the future or what their families may gift to them. Diana and Sarah both got financial settlements based on their husbands wealth hence why Diana got much more than Sarah. As any monarch could do, QE2 offered more in addition - a Trust Fund for Beatrice and Eugenie in respect of Fergie and an office and KP apartment to Diana. That was in addition. Likewise the Grand Ducal Family could offer Tessy more than the court rules, though her constant put downs and vanity seeking intagramming make that IMO unlikely.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Given that neither Louis nor Tessy is a British subject, I don't think it's relevant that in Britain women take their husband's surname and completely give up their maiden name. This is not how it works in Luxembourg. If I've been informed correctly, Luxembourg women revert back to their maiden name after a divorce (well, Tessy is already doing that before her divorce is finalized but strangely combining it with her husband's titles...).
I respectfully disagree about the relevance. Divorce courts in Britain determine spousal maintenance payments by applying British law, even if neither spouse is a British subject. The proposal was (if I correctly understood it) that because royal women marry into their husbands' families, they can fairly expect (British) divorce courts to rule that the families (not merely the husbands) must pay for their upkeep. The point I tried to make was that even in non-royal divorces in Britain, most of the women had married into their husbands' families. Therefore, if marrying into a family obligated the family to pay for the wife's upkeep after a divorce, innumerable families whose sons were divorced in British court would have to pay for their sons' former wives. But that is not the case: The ruling says that no cases (in British divorces) could be found where the family was required to pay.

Quote:
Likewise the Grand Ducal Family could offer Tessy more than the court rules, though her constant put downs and vanity seeking intagramming make that IMO unlikely.
They did offer to pay for a home for her to reside in rent-free for twelve years.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

12 years rent-free is generous and reasonable. Of course, it would be more generous and less disruptive if the GDF let Tessy and the boys stay in their current home but apparently that’s not an option. I do wonder if the GDF will actually notify Tessy to leave though. She will certainly vent on social media if they do.

It’s doubtful Louis/GDF will give another offer. After all, the GDF was firm about not yielding to exorbitant demands. A former maid sued GD Maria Teresa a few years ago and instead of simply settling, the GDF let the matter go to court. Don’t know the outcome of that case though. Clearly they’re not afraid of negative impressions of what could be released publicly and will stick to what they believe to be fair.

Hypothetically, can Louis apply for decree absolute now? Or does the possibility of Tessy appealing prevent decree absolute from being granted? The waiting times are long past and Louis wants a "clean break." BTW, I don't think he'll file because that would upset Tessy. He probably wants her to file for decree absolute.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well it doesn't matter what historically people have done, if Tessy is as smart as people and she herself make out she should surely have researched current British law before seeking a divorce? Its pretty clear to most people that the Courts base decisions on the spouses assets, not those of his or her family or what they might inherit in the future or what their families may gift to them. Diana and Sarah both got financial settlements based on their husbands wealth hence why Diana got much more than Sarah. As any monarch could do, QE2 offered more in addition - a Trust Fund for Beatrice and Eugenie in respect of Fergie and an office and KP apartment to Diana. That was in addition. Likewise the Grand Ducal Family could offer Tessy more than the court rules, though her constant put downs and vanity seeking intagramming make that IMO unlikely.
Tessy can choose a house to her liking, of maximum 1,500,000.00 Pounds, which will be purchased for her, which will be maintenanced, including all utility and service costs. All costs regarding the two princes, their education, their medical bills, all will be met. It is a generous offer most single mums can only dream about. And all this from essentially a penniless husband.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Tessy can choose a house to her liking, of maximum 1,500,000.00 Pounds, which will be purchased for her, which will be maintenanced, including all utility and service costs. All costs regarding the two princes, their education, their medical bills, all will be met. It is a generous offer most single mums can only dream about. And all this from essentially a penniless husband.
The costs of the education and medical bills were a longstanding voluntary contribution from the husband's parents, who promised to maintain it after the divorce. Presumably, neither of the spouses could have afforded the educational fees on their own assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
12 years rent-free is generous and reasonable. Of course, it would be more generous and less disruptive if the GDF let Tessy and the boys stay in their current home but apparently that’s not an option. I do wonder if the GDF will actually notify Tessy to leave though. She will certainly vent on social media if they do.

It’s doubtful Louis/GDF will give another offer. After all, the GDF was firm about not yielding to exorbitant demands. A former maid sued GD Maria Teresa a few years ago and instead of simply settling, the GDF let the matter go to court. Don’t know the outcome of that case though. Clearly they’re not afraid of negative impressions of what could be released publicly and will stick to what they believe to be fair.
You make instructive observations. Indeed, perhaps the family only wanted to secure their legal claim to the former matrimonial home, particularly if Prince Louis might return to London, in which event it would be fair for him to be allowed to reside with his children in their family home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Hypothetically, can Louis apply for decree absolute now? Or does the possibility of Tessy appealing prevent decree absolute from being granted? The waiting times are long past and Louis wants a "clean break." BTW, I don't think he'll file because that would upset Tessy. He probably wants her to file for decree absolute.
Per the below sources, it appears that only under special circumstances (of which none seem relevant to this case) will a petition to stop a decree absolute succeed. I agree he is legally free to apply, but will probably choose to wait for his estranged wife to file.

Expat Legal » How to stop Decree Nisi from being made Absolute
Matrimonial Causes Act 1973
Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I respectfully disagree about the relevance. Divorce courts in Britain determine spousal maintenance payments by applying British law, even if neither spouse is a British subject. The proposal was (if I correctly understood it) that because royal women marry into their husbands' families, they can fairly expect (British) divorce courts to rule that the families (not merely the husbands) must pay for their upkeep. The point I tried to make was that even in non-royal divorces in Britain, most of the women had married into their husbands' families. Therefore, if marrying into a family obligated the family to pay for the wife's upkeep after a divorce, innumerable families whose sons were divorced in British court would have to pay for their sons' former wives. But that is not the case: The ruling says that no cases (in British divorces) could be found where the family was required to pay.

They did offer to pay for a home for her to reside in rent-free for twelve years.
I agree that information on how divorces in general are handled in Britain is relevant. My onoy objection was against the naming convention being irrelevant (as was confirmed by the judge who said that a British court was not in a position to grant (let her keep) her a Luxembourgish title.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I agree that information on how divorces in general are handled in Britain is relevant. My onoy objection was against the naming convention being irrelevant (as was confirmed by the judge who said that a British court was not in a position to grant (let her keep) her a Luxembourgish title.
But it was not her title which was under discussion. At issue was whether or not British divorce courts require families to pay for daughters-in-law who "married into the family". In this discussion, all divorces in British courts involving women who "married into" their husbands' families are relevant. The naming convention is relevant insofar as it signifies there are a large number of women in British divorce courts who "married into" their husbands' families.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I specifically responded to this sentence in which the name was discussed.

Happy to agree to disagree about what was 'under discussion' but the above is what I responded to.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I specifically responded to this sentence in which the name was discussed.
I am aware of that. But that sentence was posted as a response to a post about divorce settlements (not titles) of women (including British and Danish women) who married into their husbands' families, which is the reason that post was quoted in my own post:

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps Tessy is not entirely off the mark. The royal convention for centuries has been that a woman marries into her husband's family. In retrospect, was not the divorce settlement of the Queen of Denmark's former daughter-in-law somewhat a divorce between the wife, her husband AND the royal family? To some extent Diana and Sarah were also divorcing a royal family as much as they were divorcing a husband.

Quote:
Happy to agree to disagree about what was 'under discussion' but the above is what I responded to.
I hope, at least, that I have satisfactorily explained what my own posts were discussing.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am aware of that. But that sentence was posted as a response to a post about divorce settlements (not titles) of women (including British and Danish women) who married into their husbands' families, which is the reason that post was quoted in my own post:

I hope, at least, that I have satisfactorily explained what my own posts were discussing.
You did
Old 02-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:

Interesting. Marrying into a royal family could almost be equated to joining a business. When one partner leaves a firm they are usually compensated payment for the value they have built.
I think the sad thing is that the Lux RF seems to not value Tessy's efforts as much as she thought it would. The situation has degraded her feelings of self worth and she is behaving like a rug has been pulled from underneath her. The firm could have voluntarily afforded Tessy a home as a measure of goodwill. To see her making crazy public outbursts is worrying. That such a wealthy family didn't wish to offer more to their former daughter-in-law seems mean.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Interesting. Marrying into a royal family could almost be equated to joining a business. When one partner leaves a firm they are usually compensated payment for the value they have built.
I think the sad thing is that the Lux RF seems to not value Tessy's efforts as much as she thought it would. The situation has degraded her feelings of self worth and she is behaving like a rug has been pulled from underneath her. The firm could have voluntarily afforded Tessy a home as a measure of goodwill. To see her making crazy public outbursts is worrying. That such a wealthy family didn't wish to offer more to their former daughter-in-law seems mean.
They have offered a 1.5 million house, including the covering of all taxes, utilities, maintenance and insurance. All costs for the two young princes are met by the Court too. How more generous the family of the penniless junior prince has to be? Have they to add five bottles Moët Pommery Rosé and a tray of fresh huitres de Bretagne per month for Madame?

Tessy probably forgot she married the wrong prince, pennywise. The private fortune lies with Prince Jean, then has to be divided by his five children. On his turn Prince Henri will have to distribute his 1/5th part of his father's inheritance amongst his five children as well. The Court document earlier in this thread revealed that Prince Louis was already consuming his future share: the expectation that a fortune would befall him is void.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Nobility

The children are well provided for, I agree. as they always have been and should be.

Independent home security for Tessy seems tied to her role as mother. What if her sons died or she, herself, suffered an injury in ten years which stopped her from working?