New Titles for Tessy, Gabriel and Noah de Nassau: June 23, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that the royal family ever made a statement about why, but to the best of my knowledge, it was due to the fact that they had a child out of wedlock.

I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.

I agree with you on all accounts; everyone, not just the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, had reservations about the couple at the beginning. The pregnancy, their age, their decision to marry after Gabriel's birth, were all powerful factors.
Nevertheless, they have proved to be devoted couple and parents, and I must say Tessy's behaviour as a Princess (even before receiving the title) was impeccable.

Why exactly was Princess Tessy not given the title of Princess when she married? Was it just that she gave birth to her eldest son before she was married or was there some other reason?

Upon his marriage, Prince Louis gave up his succession rights and those of all the couple's children. Although Louis retained his title of Prince of Luxembourg and the style of Royal Highness, he thus stopped being member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (although he was, of course, still member of the Royal Family), and Tessy was not therefore entitled to any titles; Tessy (and Gabriel) were originally given the surname de Nassau with no titles.

No official reason was indeed given for the Prince’s decision to relinquish his rights (and it was almost certainly not because of any pressure from the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess), however there is a generally accepted explanation for that. Most probably, Prince Louis decided to give up his (and of all his future children’s) succession rights motivated by the fact his eldest son, Gabriel would be excluded from the succession in any case (he was born out of wedlock and although his parent’s marriage legitimized him, that wouldn’t include him in the line of the succession). However, any future children the couple would go on to have, would be included in the Line of the Succession (they would be born in a legal marriage). Therefore, Prince Louis might have wanted to avoid the situation when his younger children would have more rights than their elder brother.

As a side note, I must say, I think that was a very mature and wise thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothing happened to them today, you mean. He renounced his rights several months before he married Tessy for himself and his descendants.

Upon his marriage, Prince Louis gave up his succession rights and those of all the couple's children. Although Louis retained his title of Prince of Luxembourg and the style of Royal Highness, he thus stopped being member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (although he was, of course, still member of the Royal Family), and Tessy was not therefore entitled to any titles; Tessy (and Gabriel) were originally given the surname de Nassau with no titles.

No official reason was indeed given for the Prince’s decision to relinquish his rights (and it was almost certainly not because of any pressure from the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess), however there is a generally accepted explanation for that. Most probably, Prince Louis decided to give up his (and of all his future children’s) succession rights motivated by the fact his eldest son, Gabriel would be excluded from the succession in any case (he was born out of wedlock and although his parent’s marriage legitimized him, that wouldn’t include him in the line of the succession). However, any future children the couple would go on to have, would be included in the Line of the Succession (they would be born in a legal marriage). Therefore, Prince Louis might have wanted to avoid the situation when his younger children would have more rights than their elder brother.

As a side note, I must say, I think that was a very mature and wise thing to do.

Luxembourg is not the Netherlands - Prince Louis did not stop being a member of the Royal/Grand Ducal House because he gave up his rights or because he married without consent. He simply gave up his place in the succession. In Luxembourg being a member of the GD Family/House has nothing to do with succession rights (women don't have succession rights) it has to do with birth and or marriage into the family. And, he didn't give his rights up upon marriage he gave his rights up on August 22, 2006 and he married Tessy on September 29, 2006. He actually gave his rights up 6 months after the birth of his first son and 1 month before his wedding. The official explanation being that he did this for personal and professional reasons.

Saying that any future children would have been included is a bit of a jump, because for that to have happened The Grand Duke would have still have had to given his consent for the marriage. Being born into a legal marriage is not the only requirement for succession one must also be born into an approved marriage.

Luxembourg is not the Netherlands - Prince Louis did not stop being a member of the Royal/Grand Ducal House because he gave up his rights or because he married without consent. He simply gave up his place in the succession. In Luxembourg being a member of the GD Family/House has nothing to do with succession rights (women don't have succession rights) it has to do with birth and or marriage into the family. And, he didn't give his rights up upon marriage he gave his rights up on August 22, 2006 and he married Tessy on September 29, 2006. He actually gave his rights up 6 months after the birth of his first son and 1 month before his wedding. The official explanation being that he did this for personal and professional reasons.

Saying that any future children would have been included is a bit of a jump, because for that to have happened The Grand Duke would have still have had to given his consent for the marriage. Being born into a legal marriage is not the only requirement for succession one must also be born into an approved marriage.

I did think that Louis's and Johan-Friso's marriages were comparable, but I stand corrected.

In that case, however, I don't understand why Tessy didn't assume her husband's styles and titles after the marriage; if Louis was still member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (nor Royal Family), then his wife should have assumed all of his titles and styles, which didn't happen.

I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.

I agree with you, TESSY and Louis have shown to form a united family, and TESSY has proven to live up to be the wife of a prince, she looked like princess when it is not, and now many princes get marrying with commoners and with the marriage she have the title of princess, and princesses for marriage, and to represent unable his title, and it was gaining for TESSY

In light of this news, I was wondering what title(s) does the second wife -Diane de Guerre- of Prince Jean of Luxembourg have?
Is she also a Princess of Luxembourg?

Look at wikipedia
Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Tessy of Luxembourg...!

Is Tessy the name with which she was chistened? because it sounds like a nickname..

I'm pretty sure it is her real name; I don't know if it's a common name in Luxembourg, but it is the full name of Tessy Scholtes, who was the Luxembourgian Sportswoman of the Year at one point, so I assume it is hers too. I think she was literally just Tessy Antony, without any long name or middle name or anything.

Perhaps Lucien can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that women do have succession rights in Luxembourg. Otherwise, they would never have had a Grand Duchess in their own right. Charlotte comes to mind, who was the reigning grand duchess of her time.

On another note, I believe that Tessy might be a Teresa?

On another note, why are Gabriel and Noah of Nassau and not Luxembourg?

Tessy is her full name. It is a common name in Luxembourg. Her brother's name is Ronny, not Ronald, or something more formal. Tessy and Louis even gave the name Ronny to one of the boys. Her sister is Patty, but I don't know if her given name is Patricia, Patrice, or just Patty.

HRH Princess Tessy,created in her own right as she was elevated to that rank by the Grand Duke,not as just the social custom has it that women take the curtesy title of their husband.:flowers:

She is not a princess in her own right.

Henri M. On another royalty board said the following:
"Tessy is not created anything. The Grand Duke now simply has finally followed the traditional custom that the legally wedded spouse of a titled person can be addressed with her husband's style and titles."

Well, while we all agree that Henri M does have extensive knowledge, I do not think that we should take his word and the be all and end all. Especially since published reports in reliable publications state that she was "created" a princess. Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the Luxembourg language could have a look on their website and see if anything is clear?

Well, while we all agree that Henri M does have extensive knowledge, I do not think that we should take his word and the be all and end all. Especially since published reports in reliable publications state that she was "created" a princess. Perhaps someone with a better grasp of the Luxembourg language could have a look on their website and see if anything is clear?

You are right. Maybe a translation of the statement below would provide a clearer understanding of the situation (I am not sure if this is the official statement from the palace).

Fir Nationalfeierdag krut d'Fra vum Prënz Louis, Tessy de Nassau, iwwregens ee ganz spezielle Cadeau gemaach.

De Grand-Duc Henri huet nämlech decidéiert, datt seng Schnauer sech vun elo un däerf Altesse Royale Princesse de Luxembourg nennen an seng zwee kleng Enkelkanner Gabriel a Noah vun haut un den Titel Altesse Royal, Prince de Nassau droen. Déi jonk Prinzessin, déi eng Biergerlech ass a gebierteg vu Nidderkuer kënnt, an de Prënz Louis, den drëtteelste Fils vun der groussherzoglecher Koppel hate sech de 29. September 2006 bestued. Den 21. Mäerz 2006 koum de Prënz Gabriel op d'Welt an den 21. September 2007 säi klenge Brudder de Prënz Noah.

D'Prinzessin Alexandra ass iwwerdeems zum Chevalier dans l'Ordre du Lion d'Or de la Maison de Nassau ernannt ginn.

Hello! Magazine has a brief article about the new princess:

Workman's daughter Tessy made princess of Luxembourg |Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

It does say that she is styled a princess of Luxembourg, but to me, that doesn't clear up whether she is using her husband's title, or has been given it. I read somewhere else (can't remember where, unfortunately), that she was given the title in her own right. I tried to translate this, but google translate doesn't feature Luxembourgish.

Perhaps Lucien can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that women do have succession rights in Luxembourg. Otherwise, they would never have had a Grand Duchess in their own right. Charlotte comes to mind, who was the reigning grand duchess of her time.

I believe Grand Duchesses Charlotte and her sister Marie Adelaide could become reigning Grand Duchesses because there were no male heirs at all. The only possibility was the product of a morganatic marriage, and the father of the girls didn't want him as his heir. Technically speaking, a woman has no rights in the Luxembourg succession line, if there are men who are eligible. Grand Duke Guillaume had a special law created, to make his eldest daughter his heir. Had there been no male heir for Grand Duchess Charlotte, her younger sisters would have been called upon to succeed, or their sons. But I believe there is a law pending which would give men and women the same rights.

You are right. Maybe a translation of the statement below would provide a clearer understanding of the situation (I am not sure if this is the official statement from the palace).

Fir Nationalfeierdag krut d'Fra vum Prënz Louis, Tessy de Nassau, iwwregens ee ganz spezielle Cadeau gemaach.

De Grand-Duc Henri huet nämlech decidéiert, datt seng Schnauer sech vun elo un däerf Altesse Royale Princesse de Luxembourg nennen an seng zwee kleng Enkelkanner Gabriel a Noah vun haut un den Titel Altesse Royal, Prince de Nassau droen. Déi jonk Prinzessin, déi eng Biergerlech ass a gebierteg vu Nidderkuer kënnt, an de Prënz Louis, den drëtteelste Fils vun der groussherzoglecher Koppel hate sech de 29. September 2006 bestued. Den 21. Mäerz 2006 koum de Prënz Gabriel op d'Welt an den 21. September 2007 säi klenge Brudder de Prënz Noah.

D'Prinzessin Alexandra ass iwwerdeems zum Chevalier dans l'Ordre du Lion d'Or de la Maison de Nassau ernannt ginn.

I would say this literally says:

For the National Day the wife of Prince Louis, Tessy de Nassau, has been given a very special present.

The Grand Duke, namely, has declared that his daughter in law may call herself Altesse Royale Princesse de Luxembourg and her two children Gabriel and Noah may bear the title Altesse Royal, Prince de Nassau.

Then there's a sentence I do not really understand, and after that it says Louis is the third son of the Grand Ducal couple, and it repeats the date of marriage, and the birth dates of the children of Prince Louis and Princess Tessy.

And I'm still not sure if this means she's a princess in her own right, or simply allowed to use her husband's style and title.

Last edited:
So are the Children now Prince of Luxembourg too?

I did think that Louis's and Johan-Friso's marriages were comparable, but I stand corrected.

In that case, however, I don't understand why Tessy didn't assume her husband's styles and titles after the marriage; if Louis was still member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (nor Royal Family), then his wife should have assumed all of his titles and styles, which didn't happen.

Because, a women may only assume the royal titles of her husband in Luxembourg if they are married with the consent of the Grand Duke. Louis did not receive (nor seek) consent to marry Tessy thus she could never have been a Princess of Luxembourg simply by her marriage to him. According the the decrees the govern marriages without consent Louis should have become Count of Nassau with equal dignity in his spouse and children born into the marriage but not ones born before. Grand Duke Henri, like his father before him, decided that Louis should remain a Prince of Luxembourg but that no titles were to be available to his children or wife. I think everyone knew that if the marriage lasted that Tessy and the children would be upgraded. It seemed the right thing for him to remain a Prince which only made the "upgrade" seem more natural.

No the children are not Prince of Luxembourg only the children of the Grand Duke and the Hereditary Grand Duke hold the title Prince/ss of Luxembourg other members of the family are Prince/ss of Nassau.

No, she is not a princess in her own right it stated that she may now call herself not that she had been granted the title in her own right. He made a statement that she would now be known as Princess Tessy of Luxembourg with HRH he did NOT issue a Grand Ducal decree creating her a Princess of Luxembourg which is what would have happened had he made her a Princess in her own right.

Here's another article about the new titles:

The Station Network

It says that Tessy had the title "bestowed upon her". The language is kind of vague as to whether it is a title in her own right or not.

Does anyone know if she will take on patronages and other charity work as part of her new title? Or is this reserved for the heirs only?

Well, maybe he bestowed upon her his permission to now call herself Princess Tessy of Luxembourg but he did not issue a Grand Ducal Decree creating her a Princess of anything in her own right.

The simple fact that the decree that makes it so that a wife of a Prince of "our house" who marries with consent should carry equal dignity as her husband but that in the event of divorce OR legal separation that all titles gained via marriage are automatically lost should indicate that no Grand Duke is likely to ever create the wife of a Prince who married without consent a Princess in her own right when this courtesy is not even extended to those who do receive consent.

Well, hold on. If she were only allowed to use her husbands title, would she not have been called Princess Louis of Luxembourg? If she is allowed to use her own name, then it would stand to reason that she is a Princess in her own right, correct?

No, that is a British custom not a Luxembourg one. It has never been the custom in Luxembourg to use your husband's name as part of the title. Princess Sybilla wasn't created a Princess in her own right (nor have any other spouses) and she isn't Princess Guillaume.

Simply put unless he issued a Grand Ducal Decree signed by at least one minister which specifically stated that she now holds the title of Princess of Luxembourg in her own right then she is a Princess via courtesy not her own right.

Basically, she is Mrs. Louis.... the rest is commentary.

Remember that "fuss" about possible big announcement on 4-5 of April? I was thinking that maybe they decided to give her title around that time (that's why there were rumors)? I mean it's not one-day decision :D

Here's another article about the new titles:

The Station Network

Does anyone know if she will take on patronages and other charity work as part of her new title? Or is this reserved for the heirs only?

Which means that they will move to Luxembourg from Switzerland? ;)

The article also say that Tessy and Louis have only one child :nonono:

The official photo that has been released of the Grand Duke and Duchess sitting in chairs with Louis and Tessy behind them looks (to me) as if they had a meeting and formally declared the new titles. Would they have done this without issuing some sort of decree? (I'm not being argumentative, I'm simply asking out of cluelessness)

It is still possible for them to do charity work,even though they live in Switzerland. They come home to Luxembourg for events such as this, and Louis would have breaks from school. Tessy has accompanied Maria-Teresa to a Red Cross event in the past, and I think that it would be great to see them getting more involved in some of the more charitable aspects of royal life (IMO).

Congratulations to Princess Tessy and Princes Gabriel and Noah on becoming new Princess and Princes. I have one question, Is Prince Louis included in the Line to the throne of Luxembourg again?

sgl: I don't think you are correct.

The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, Prince Louis and Princess Tessy, Prince Gabriel and Prince Noah are all wearing the exact same outfit as with the Closing of the Octave of Our Lady of Luxembourg; May 17th, 2009. The only thing missing are the hairpieces of the Grand Duchess and Princess Tessy. My guess is that that's when the picture was taken. I don't think the titles could have been declared then and just gotten to the press on June 23. Ofcourse they already knew it then, but I don't expect it was declared then.

Shikha Pal: Prince Louis is not in line to the throne, neither are his sons.

Josette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom