The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

New titles for the Grand-Ducal family (I know this has already been covered, but I thought I'd put a link here anyway since it's in English): http://www.theroyalforums.com/8828-n...-ducal-family/

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wait a second, if Tessy is now Princess of Luxembourg, then what happened with Louis' succession rights?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

So we have a new princess&es.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Wait a second, if Tessy is now Princess of Luxembourg, then what happened with Louis' succession rights?
Nothing.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

English wikipedia - Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice gesture from in-laws.

Comparing wth prince Jean she was created HRH Princess very fast .
Btw was/is Helene Vestur elevated to princess or not?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I honestly think this is an awesome step. Tessy and family aren't going away and denying them the title for so long was a bit embarrassing. Tessy has conducted herself quite well and no matter if the relationship lasts (and so far it looks good) she has behaved as a Princess long before the title.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a great news indeed. The Grand Ducal couple should be lauded for treading cautiously in regard to the situation surrounding their son not-so-traditional, shall we say, marriage and doing the right thing in the end.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
English wikipedia - Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice gesture from in-laws.

Comparing wth prince Jean she was created HRH Princess very fast .
Btw was/is Helene Vestur elevated to princess or not?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg1fan View Post
I honestly think this is an awesome step. Tessy and family aren't going away and denying them the title for so long was a bit embarrassing. Tessy has conducted herself quite well and no matter if the relationship lasts (and so far it looks good) she has behaved as a Princess long before the title.
I agree,while all had raised eyebrows on what this was going to turn out to,Tessy behaved impeccable and proved the title more then worthy.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Why exactly was Princess Tessy not given the title of Princess when she married? Was it just that she gave birth to her eldest son before she was married or was there some other reason?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't believe that the royal family ever made a statement about why, but to the best of my knowledge, it was due to the fact that they had a child out of wedlock.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.

I agree with you on all accounts; everyone, not just the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, had reservations about the couple at the beginning. The pregnancy, their age, their decision to marry after Gabriel's birth, were all powerful factors.
Nevertheless, they have proved to be devoted couple and parents, and I must say Tessy's behaviour as a Princess (even before receiving the title) was impeccable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Fire View Post
Why exactly was Princess Tessy not given the title of Princess when she married? Was it just that she gave birth to her eldest son before she was married or was there some other reason?
Upon his marriage, Prince Louis gave up his succession rights and those of all the couple's children. Although Louis retained his title of Prince of Luxembourg and the style of Royal Highness, he thus stopped being member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (although he was, of course, still member of the Royal Family), and Tessy was not therefore entitled to any titles; Tessy (and Gabriel) were originally given the surname de Nassau with no titles.

No official reason was indeed given for the Prince’s decision to relinquish his rights (and it was almost certainly not because of any pressure from the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess), however there is a generally accepted explanation for that. Most probably, Prince Louis decided to give up his (and of all his future children’s) succession rights motivated by the fact his eldest son, Gabriel would be excluded from the succession in any case (he was born out of wedlock and although his parent’s marriage legitimized him, that wouldn’t include him in the line of the succession). However, any future children the couple would go on to have, would be included in the Line of the Succession (they would be born in a legal marriage). Therefore, Prince Louis might have wanted to avoid the situation when his younger children would have more rights than their elder brother.

As a side note, I must say, I think that was a very mature and wise thing to do.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Nothing.

Nothing happened to them today, you mean. He renounced his rights several months before he married Tessy for himself and his descendants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Upon his marriage, Prince Louis gave up his succession rights and those of all the couple's children. Although Louis retained his title of Prince of Luxembourg and the style of Royal Highness, he thus stopped being member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (although he was, of course, still member of the Royal Family), and Tessy was not therefore entitled to any titles; Tessy (and Gabriel) were originally given the surname de Nassau with no titles.

No official reason was indeed given for the Prince’s decision to relinquish his rights (and it was almost certainly not because of any pressure from the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess), however there is a generally accepted explanation for that. Most probably, Prince Louis decided to give up his (and of all his future children’s) succession rights motivated by the fact his eldest son, Gabriel would be excluded from the succession in any case (he was born out of wedlock and although his parent’s marriage legitimized him, that wouldn’t include him in the line of the succession). However, any future children the couple would go on to have, would be included in the Line of the Succession (they would be born in a legal marriage). Therefore, Prince Louis might have wanted to avoid the situation when his younger children would have more rights than their elder brother.

As a side note, I must say, I think that was a very mature and wise thing to do.

Luxembourg is not the Netherlands - Prince Louis did not stop being a member of the Royal/Grand Ducal House because he gave up his rights or because he married without consent. He simply gave up his place in the succession. In Luxembourg being a member of the GD Family/House has nothing to do with succession rights (women don't have succession rights) it has to do with birth and or marriage into the family. And, he didn't give his rights up upon marriage he gave his rights up on August 22, 2006 and he married Tessy on September 29, 2006. He actually gave his rights up 6 months after the birth of his first son and 1 month before his wedding. The official explanation being that he did this for personal and professional reasons.

Saying that any future children would have been included is a bit of a jump, because for that to have happened The Grand Duke would have still have had to given his consent for the marriage. Being born into a legal marriage is not the only requirement for succession one must also be born into an approved marriage.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
Luxembourg is not the Netherlands - Prince Louis did not stop being a member of the Royal/Grand Ducal House because he gave up his rights or because he married without consent. He simply gave up his place in the succession. In Luxembourg being a member of the GD Family/House has nothing to do with succession rights (women don't have succession rights) it has to do with birth and or marriage into the family. And, he didn't give his rights up upon marriage he gave his rights up on August 22, 2006 and he married Tessy on September 29, 2006. He actually gave his rights up 6 months after the birth of his first son and 1 month before his wedding. The official explanation being that he did this for personal and professional reasons.

Saying that any future children would have been included is a bit of a jump, because for that to have happened The Grand Duke would have still have had to given his consent for the marriage. Being born into a legal marriage is not the only requirement for succession one must also be born into an approved marriage.
I did think that Louis's and Johan-Friso's marriages were comparable, but I stand corrected.

In that case, however, I don't understand why Tessy didn't assume her husband's styles and titles after the marriage; if Louis was still member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (nor Royal Family), then his wife should have assumed all of his titles and styles, which didn't happen.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post

I agree with you, TESSY and Louis have shown to form a united family, and TESSY has proven to live up to be the wife of a prince, she looked like princess when it is not, and now many princes get marrying with commoners and with the marriage she have the title of princess, and princesses for marriage, and to represent unable his title, and it was gaining for TESSY
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to the new Pss of Luxembourg!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Nobility

I am so happy! A new Princess has been born!

Certainly Tessy did a lot of work to refine herself. Her style is magnificent.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

the hairdo

Look at wikipedia
Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Tessy of Luxembourg...!

Is Tessy the name with which she was chistened? because it sounds like a nickname..
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Aristocracy

In light of this news, I was wondering what title(s) does the second wife -Diane de Guerre- of Prince Jean of Luxembourg have?
Is she also a Princess of Luxembourg?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeleia View Post
Look at wikipedia
Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Tessy of Luxembourg...!

Is Tessy the name with which she was chistened? because it sounds like a nickname..
I'm pretty sure it is her real name; I don't know if it's a common name in Luxembourg, but it is the full name of Tessy Scholtes, who was the Luxembourgian Sportswoman of the Year at one point, so I assume it is hers too. I think she was literally just Tessy Antony, without any long name or middle name or anything.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps Lucien can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that women do have succession rights in Luxembourg. Otherwise, they would never have had a Grand Duchess in their own right. Charlotte comes to mind, who was the reigning grand duchess of her time.

On another note, I believe that Tessy might be a Teresa?

On another note, why are Gabriel and Noah of Nassau and not Luxembourg?