The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ~, Singapore
Posts: 476
New titles for the Grand-Ducal family (I know this has already been covered, but I thought I'd put a link here anyway since it's in English): http://www.theroyalforums.com/8828-n...-ducal-family/
__________________

__________________
Don't forget to visit the TRF Blog!

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Nathalie Cox's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: in a corner of ..., Argentina
Posts: 2,702
Wait a second, if Tessy is now Princess of Luxembourg, then what happened with Louis' succession rights?
__________________

__________________
* * The eyes are the mirror of the soul* *
The Impossible is what the mind can not imagine ...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
So we have a new princess&es.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Wait a second, if Tessy is now Princess of Luxembourg, then what happened with Louis' succession rights?
Nothing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
English wikipedia - Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice gesture from in-laws.

Comparing wth prince Jean she was created HRH Princess very fast .
Btw was/is Helene Vestur elevated to princess or not?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: In Mac Land, United States
Posts: 172
I honestly think this is an awesome step. Tessy and family aren't going away and denying them the title for so long was a bit embarrassing. Tessy has conducted herself quite well and no matter if the relationship lasts (and so far it looks good) she has behaved as a Princess long before the title.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,884
It is a great news indeed. The Grand Ducal couple should be lauded for treading cautiously in regard to the situation surrounding their son not-so-traditional, shall we say, marriage and doing the right thing in the end.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
English wikipedia - Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice gesture from in-laws.

Comparing wth prince Jean she was created HRH Princess very fast .
Btw was/is Helene Vestur elevated to princess or not?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg1fan View Post
I honestly think this is an awesome step. Tessy and family aren't going away and denying them the title for so long was a bit embarrassing. Tessy has conducted herself quite well and no matter if the relationship lasts (and so far it looks good) she has behaved as a Princess long before the title.
I agree,while all had raised eyebrows on what this was going to turn out to,Tessy behaved impeccable and proved the title more then worthy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:41 PM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.
__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Dragon_Fire's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Coventry, United Kingdom
Posts: 5
Why exactly was Princess Tessy not given the title of Princess when she married? Was it just that she gave birth to her eldest son before she was married or was there some other reason?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
sgl's Avatar
sgl sgl is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ~, United States
Posts: 4,826
I don't believe that the royal family ever made a statement about why, but to the best of my knowledge, it was due to the fact that they had a child out of wedlock.
__________________
Be sure to visit the blog!
"I look just like the girls next door...if you happen to live next door to an amusement park"-Dolly Parton
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.

I agree with you on all accounts; everyone, not just the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess, had reservations about the couple at the beginning. The pregnancy, their age, their decision to marry after Gabriel's birth, were all powerful factors.
Nevertheless, they have proved to be devoted couple and parents, and I must say Tessy's behaviour as a Princess (even before receiving the title) was impeccable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Fire View Post
Why exactly was Princess Tessy not given the title of Princess when she married? Was it just that she gave birth to her eldest son before she was married or was there some other reason?
Upon his marriage, Prince Louis gave up his succession rights and those of all the couple's children. Although Louis retained his title of Prince of Luxembourg and the style of Royal Highness, he thus stopped being member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (although he was, of course, still member of the Royal Family), and Tessy was not therefore entitled to any titles; Tessy (and Gabriel) were originally given the surname de Nassau with no titles.


No official reason was indeed given for the Prince’s decision to relinquish his rights (and it was almost certainly not because of any pressure from the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess), however there is a generally accepted explanation for that. Most probably, Prince Louis decided to give up his (and of all his future children’s) succession rights motivated by the fact his eldest son, Gabriel would be excluded from the succession in any case (he was born out of wedlock and although his parent’s marriage legitimized him, that wouldn’t include him in the line of the succession). However, any future children the couple would go on to have, would be included in the Line of the Succession (they would be born in a legal marriage). Therefore, Prince Louis might have wanted to avoid the situation when his younger children would have more rights than their elder brother.

As a side note, I must say, I think that was a very mature and wise thing to do.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Nothing.

Nothing happened to them today, you mean. He renounced his rights several months before he married Tessy for himself and his descendants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Upon his marriage, Prince Louis gave up his succession rights and those of all the couple's children. Although Louis retained his title of Prince of Luxembourg and the style of Royal Highness, he thus stopped being member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (although he was, of course, still member of the Royal Family), and Tessy was not therefore entitled to any titles; Tessy (and Gabriel) were originally given the surname de Nassau with no titles.


No official reason was indeed given for the Prince’s decision to relinquish his rights (and it was almost certainly not because of any pressure from the Grand Duke or Grand Duchess), however there is a generally accepted explanation for that. Most probably, Prince Louis decided to give up his (and of all his future children’s) succession rights motivated by the fact his eldest son, Gabriel would be excluded from the succession in any case (he was born out of wedlock and although his parent’s marriage legitimized him, that wouldn’t include him in the line of the succession). However, any future children the couple would go on to have, would be included in the Line of the Succession (they would be born in a legal marriage). Therefore, Prince Louis might have wanted to avoid the situation when his younger children would have more rights than their elder brother.

As a side note, I must say, I think that was a very mature and wise thing to do.

Luxembourg is not the Netherlands - Prince Louis did not stop being a member of the Royal/Grand Ducal House because he gave up his rights or because he married without consent. He simply gave up his place in the succession. In Luxembourg being a member of the GD Family/House has nothing to do with succession rights (women don't have succession rights) it has to do with birth and or marriage into the family. And, he didn't give his rights up upon marriage he gave his rights up on August 22, 2006 and he married Tessy on September 29, 2006. He actually gave his rights up 6 months after the birth of his first son and 1 month before his wedding. The official explanation being that he did this for personal and professional reasons.

Saying that any future children would have been included is a bit of a jump, because for that to have happened The Grand Duke would have still have had to given his consent for the marriage. Being born into a legal marriage is not the only requirement for succession one must also be born into an approved marriage.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Marsel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
Luxembourg is not the Netherlands - Prince Louis did not stop being a member of the Royal/Grand Ducal House because he gave up his rights or because he married without consent. He simply gave up his place in the succession. In Luxembourg being a member of the GD Family/House has nothing to do with succession rights (women don't have succession rights) it has to do with birth and or marriage into the family. And, he didn't give his rights up upon marriage he gave his rights up on August 22, 2006 and he married Tessy on September 29, 2006. He actually gave his rights up 6 months after the birth of his first son and 1 month before his wedding. The official explanation being that he did this for personal and professional reasons.

Saying that any future children would have been included is a bit of a jump, because for that to have happened The Grand Duke would have still have had to given his consent for the marriage. Being born into a legal marriage is not the only requirement for succession one must also be born into an approved marriage.
I did think that Louis's and Johan-Friso's marriages were comparable, but I stand corrected.

In that case, however, I don't understand why Tessy didn't assume her husband's styles and titles after the marriage; if Louis was still member of the Luxembourgian Royal House (nor Royal Family), then his wife should have assumed all of his titles and styles, which didn't happen.
__________________
Audentes fortuna iuvat - Fortune favours the bold *** ... ***Amore, more, ore, re - Love, behaviour, words, actions *** ... ***Aquila non capit muscas - An eagle does not hunt flies
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
rociocristina's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: maracaibo, Venezuela
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I concur with Lucien and Sg1fan. I can understand the hesitation on the part of the Grand Duke and Duchess at the beginning. Louis and Tessy were very young when the pregnancy was announced. Raising children and being married can be very difficult, and when you factor in young age, the odds typically aren't good. A out-of-wedlock child is quite the scandal in a royal family. However, Louis and Tessy seem to have a strong relationship, and seem to provide a loving home to their children. They have proven themselves to be committed to each other and their children. It was the perfect time for the titles.

I have always liked this young family, and I am very happy for them. This is truly a special day.

I agree with you, TESSY and Louis have shown to form a united family, and TESSY has proven to live up to be the wife of a prince, she looked like princess when it is not, and now many princes get marrying with commoners and with the marriage she have the title of princess, and princesses for marriage, and to represent unable his title, and it was gaining for TESSY
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 AM
madeleine victoria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: cavite, Philippines
Posts: 776
Congratulations to the new Pss of Luxembourg!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
emmeleia's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Patra, Greece
Posts: 377
I am so happy! A new Princess has been born!

Certainly Tessy did a lot of work to refine herself. Her style is magnificent.

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

the hairdo
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Look at wikipedia
Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Tessy of Luxembourg...!

Is Tessy the name with which she was chistened? because it sounds like a nickname..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Hendrik-Jan77's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Posts: 239
In light of this news, I was wondering what title(s) does the second wife -Diane de Guerre- of Prince Jean of Luxembourg have?
Is she also a Princess of Luxembourg?
__________________
HRH
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Nobility
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ~, Singapore
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmeleia View Post
Look at wikipedia
Princess Tessy of Luxembourg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Princess Tessy of Luxembourg...!

Is Tessy the name with which she was chistened? because it sounds like a nickname..
I'm pretty sure it is her real name; I don't know if it's a common name in Luxembourg, but it is the full name of Tessy Scholtes, who was the Luxembourgian Sportswoman of the Year at one point, so I assume it is hers too. I think she was literally just Tessy Antony, without any long name or middle name or anything.
__________________
Don't forget to visit the TRF Blog!

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
Perhaps Lucien can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that women do have succession rights in Luxembourg. Otherwise, they would never have had a Grand Duchess in their own right. Charlotte comes to mind, who was the reigning grand duchess of her time.

On another note, I believe that Tessy might be a Teresa?

On another note, why are Gabriel and Noah of Nassau and not Luxembourg?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Louis and Tessy de Nassau Welcome Second Son, Noah: September 21, 2007 liv Prince Felix, Princess Claire, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien & Prince Louis with Family 62 07-13-2008 02:37 PM
Baptism of Noah de Nassau: October 27, 2007 Her_Majesty Prince Felix, Princess Claire, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien & Prince Louis with Family 43 11-09-2007 01:44 PM
Is Tessy de Nassau Pregnant? Princess Robijn Prince Felix, Princess Claire, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien & Prince Louis with Family 120 06-26-2007 08:02 PM
Baby Boy for Prince Louis & Tessy Antony - Gabriel: March 12, 2006 swissluxi Prince Felix, Princess Claire, Princess Alexandra, Prince Sebastien & Prince Louis with Family 262 03-13-2007 07:54 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]