Baptism of Prince Liam: April 22, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't expect the ceremony to take place at the Vatican,I wonder if the Prince is the first in the family to have that honour?

Whoa...the Vatican? Very impressive! ;)

His sister Princess Amalia was baptised a little over a month after her birth,strange that Prince Liam has not been baptised yet.

maybe the fact that liam is baptised in the vatican has something to do with the longer wait time?

The Vatican certainly is a surprise. Good chance it explains longer wait. Only modern member of a reigning house I can think of having a Vatican baptism is Leopold Windsor, second son of Lord Nicholas. He was baptized in St. Peter's. Like Liam, his older sibling was not.

Pretty special. I notice GD Jean actually had the reigning pope at the time as godfather.

Speaking of Lord Nicholas, he and his wife were actually married in Vatican City, though not at St. Peter's Basilica. And they were received in a private audience with then-Pope Benedict XVI immediately after the Nuptial Mass.

The Vatican certainly is a surprise. Good chance it explains longer wait. Only modern member of a reigning house I can think of having a Vatican baptism is Leopold Windsor, second son of Lord Nicholas. He was baptized in St. Peter's. Like Liam, his older sibling was not.

Pretty special. I notice GD Jean actually had the reigning pope at the time as godfather.
It certainly is a surprise !!!

"The Vatican" actually has quite a few of churches and chapels on its territory. Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor née Donna Paola Doimi de Lupis-Frankopan were married "at the Vatican" which brings images of a grand wedding in the St Peter but it actually was a lovely, small-scale wedding in one of the oldest Christian churches of Rome, in the shadow of the St Peter.

"Prince Liam baptized at the Vatican" brings the same effect: "Whoa! The St Peter!" But the basilica has dozens of chapels and the priests at the basilica regulary hold baptisms because -logically- Catholics like to see their child baptized and blessed in the centre of the Roman-Catholic world.

Great news!
Any updates regarding his Godparents?

Thats a lovely place and I didn't think they would choose that place. Im sure we will get lovely pictures today, can't wait! I guess the godparents will be announced just before the event or during the event.

The Vatican can be explained by the fact that Rev. Dr. George Woodall supervised Claire's PhD, so they must be close.

There are still no pictures of the baptized?

There were a lot of royals in Rome today: the Pope received the Fürst Hand-Adam and Fürstin Marie-Aglaë von und zu Liechtestein and their family. Still waiting for news about the Nassaus.

Apparently the christening was a very private affair
Don't expect pics or further information

I would expect at least an official picture. I wonder why they decided to keep it very private. No announcement, not even who the godparents are.

It seems especially strange how private it is given that, as things stand now, Prince Liam's father and sister are the heirs to the throne after Guillaume (not that G&S won't have children in the future, but it's just as possible that they will not as it is that they will). Liam could possibly one day be the son and sister to the Grand Duke/Grand Duchess of Luxembourg and we don't even know who his godparents are? Strange.

It's all very strange. In the first few months of Princess Amalia's life the Royal House released some photographs of Amalia, and the press was present at her baptism. With Prince Liam everything is different, they did not divulge photographs of the baptized, do not know who are the godparents, are not released new photos of the child, nothing ... I do not understand what is happening.

strange indeed. my guess is that at least some official photos will become available soon.

I get the sense with Amalia they felt they were required. Amalia was, and still is, her uncles heir (well her dad in between for however long he may out live his brother). Of course there is always hope the couple will have their own. But this is reality. So the baptism was made formal, with photographs, and godparents known.

With Liam they have a bit more freedom for him to be private. I do think we will get some photos eventually.

I get the sense with Amalia they felt they were required. Amalia was, and still is, her uncles heir (well her dad in between for however long he may out live his brother). Of course there is always hope the couple will have their own. But this is reality. So the baptism was made formal, with photographs, and godparents known.

With Liam they have a bit more freedom for him to be private. I do think we will get some photos eventually.

That is a good guess. Princess Amalia is -as long as her uncle Prince Guillaume has no issue- in the direct line of succession after her father. I can imagine that then the "required" publicity is what more urgent than with her younger brother Prince Liam.

Thanks Jess! Lovely photos. I see that the prince of Windisch-Graetz and his wife Archduchess Sofia are seated behind the Liechtensteins. Prince Lelio Orsini is sitting behind the HGD. The HGD was playing the guitar.

Both the Grand Duchess as Mrs. Lademacher are looking elegant.

Last edited:
Lovely photos! Looks like it was a very intimate an family oriented event. I also noticed that the HGD was playing guitar. It would have been really interesting to hear him play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom