The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations with the birth of little Gabriël. Prince Louis and Tessy I hope that you will happy soon.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
moley, i don't think we should be so harsh. even if they are young, what if they just wanted to have a baby? they are in a good social and economical position, so the baby won't lack of anything. the fact of not being prince doesn't mean he won't be happy or something. i'm sure the parents are completely happy and if it was their decision i think we must stick to it and respect it. the family was honest and didn't deny it, i think that would be a lot worse. moreover, there are lots of young parents in a worse situation than this one...
my congratulations for the couple. i hope we will get a little picture at least and know a bit more of tessy sometime... :)
And after all they are no kiddies anymore, but young adults, which can make their own decisions.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
Accusing them of being rich is absurd - babies are born out of wedlock in rich and in poor families. Naturally it's easier if you are rich and raise a baby, whether you are married or not. You can hardly expect Louis and his parents to give away all their money so as not to have an unfair advantage over kids that are born into poor families.

I find it hard to guess which alternatives you would have preferred. Do you think they should have had an abortion? (I'm not being provocative, just curious.)
My views are my own and I am not going to express that particular view on here as this is not the place for it.

All I am saying is we have the right NOT to think this is some blessed event.

These two behaved irresponsibly and we all have the right to post those views as well as the postings of twinkling, little teenage girls with sighs views.

He is not a role model for anyone in my opinion.

If he REALLY wanted to be responsible he would go out, get a job, and support the kid that way, entirely on his own, without mommy and daddy.

You do the crime...you pay the time..as the saying goes. If more humans took the time to realize what happens when a baby is created and then realize they must take responsibility. At 10000000%, for their actions, then maybe the stability of familes would once again come into focus as being respected, instead of this.

I will not back down from my views just because the majority of them on here are all gushing and swooning.

And just because it is 2006 and happening all over the world does not mean it is chic, cool, so In Style, so classy, and just so damn cool to do...
Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Royal Highness

No reason to celebrate the most wonderful event of the world, the birth of a child? No matter what I think about out-of-wedlock child, no matter what I think about what Louis and Tessy did, no matter being prochoice or prolife, a child is born and this must be celebrated. He could be the child of the poorest woman in the world, a child is born and this is always great happiness.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
My views are my own and I am not going to express that particular view on here as this is not the place for it.

These two behaved irresponsibly and we all have the right to post those views as well as the postings of twinkling, little teenage girls with sighs views.

If he REALLY wanted to be responsible he would go out, get a job, and support the kid that way, entirely on his own, without mommy and daddy.

You do the crime...you pay the time..as the saying goes. If more humans took the time to realize what happens when a baby is created and then realize they must take responsibility, At10000000%, for thier actions, then maybe the stabiity of familes would once again come into focus as being respected, instead of this.

I will not back down from my views just because the majority of them on here are all gushing and swooning.
You are entitled to your opinion. I agree. Let's just move on now and wait for pictures to be released.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
The whole issue of children out of wedlock to me is absurd. We live in the 21st century and it's not like they were still teens when they embarked on this experience. besides the family is fine and has given their support. I don't think GD Josephine would be rolling on her grave since the child will not be in line for succession or even part of the official royal family.
Actually, they are still teens- Louis is anyway, he's 19.

And, IMO, GD Josephine-Charlotte, a fine and lovely woman in every sense of the word, would have spit bats at this little turn of events if she were still alive.
I don't think what Louis and Tessy [remember, it takes TWO to make a baby!!!!] did was at all responsible nor was it honorable, but, as they say, the damage is done. The only one I feel sorry for is the baby- he didn't ask to be born to a pair of unwed teenage parents.
Besides, stuff like this happens in private all the time. Oh well.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Congrats to the whole family. Babies are a great joy & a big responsibility. I hope he has a wonderful life

Old 03-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Nobility

Wow, I can't believe how heated this thread has become considering this is a happy occasion. :( In my opinion, a baby, no matter what circumstances they're born into is a blessing. I wish Prince Louis, Tessy and especially the baby all the best. As for how Josephine-Charlotte would cope with this, how can any of us say we know how she would react? Do you think she would love her great-grandchild any less because he was born out of wedlock? Whatever your answer, it doesn't matter, because it's all speculation anyway. As for Louis and Tessy's ages - well they're hardly too young... They are not a couple of stupid 14-year-olds, they are adults with a supportive family. The word irresponsible seems to have been bandied about a fair bit in this thread, and I want to know why they are considered irresponsible: because they had sex before marriage or because they kept the baby? Those who think all unmarried royals are virgins are seriously misinformed. And those who think that an abortion would have been better... well, imagine if we had all found out about that! What would you think if you found out that Louis and Tessy had given up the baby because it was too inconvenient for them, or because they had been forced to because it was bad for the image of the grand duchy? In any case, this is just my opinion and in the end I'm probably not going to change anyone's minds. It's just that this happy occasion has been hijacked by people who either are genuinely offended by Louis and Tessy actions (which are after all, very human actions) or those who like being outraged for the sake of being outraged.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLEY
I don't see what is to celebrate, A baby born to unmarried teenagers is not exactly a role model for young people in today's luxumbourg. Grand duchess Josephine-charlotte must be spinning not just turing in her grave.
I am very upset with such a statement. Every child is a miracle. I think a lot of people in the world have children without being married. Those two have a surportive family and I dont think the child will miss anything.
People are so mean i think. Be happy for a new life.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

think the innocence of the child born has to be considered, it is not his or her fault. In the past children born out of wedlock were treated very badly at schools and in communities in general and most of us in Europe find that now unacceptable and unfair for the child.

(in the big prestigious firm where I work some highly qualified men have chosen not to marry and are totally responsible for their children, they settle everything legaly and are living with the mother. A partner made a joke to one of them: "you know you can not become a partner if you have children while not being married", it was a joke because that was the attitude in the past, now, in holland at least you are judged for the work you do)

Quote:

You do the crime...you pay the time..as the saying goes. If more humans took the time to realize what happens when a baby is created and then realize they must take responsibility. At 10000000%, for their actions, then maybe the stability of familes would once again come into focus as being respected, instead of this.

And just because it is 2006 and happening all over the world does not mean it is chic, cool, so In Style, so classy, and just so damn cool to do...
Old 03-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Nobility

Smile

First I wish the couple and the baby happiness and health. With their families support he will be raised in a loving and happy environment. Now as for role models I believe your role models should be your parents or teachers not celebrities and not royalty. No one should look at these people as a way to live their lives they are only humans thats all.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielane
No reason to celebrate the most wonderful event of the world, the birth of a child? No matter what I think about out-of-wedlock child, no matter what I think about what Louis and Tessy did, no matter being prochoice or prolife, a child is born and this must be celebrated. He could be the child of the poorest woman in the world, a child is born and this is always great happiness.
Very well said, Danielane! :)

I agree with the quote: A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. (Carl Sandburg)

I agree this is not the Ideal situation and it's not a good example for others teenagers/young adults, but a baby is born and I'm very glad with that! It's desperating when poor people don't have anyone to help them and their children, but if Louis and Tessy have support from the family, that's Great! I don't believe Louis will live from now on without working. Let's wait and see.

I hope to see a picture of the baby soon!
Old 03-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't really follow the Luxembourg Royal Family but I read about this on the Hello website and have to admit I was surprised.

However, the birth of any child is a joyous event. It's good to see this young prince taking his responsibility over the birth of his son. He could have just as easily arranged to pay off his girlfriend but he hasn't.

Quote:
Here here!!!! :)

Thank you for being pragmatic.

Another child born because two teenagers could not control their lust and forgot about protection.

That's okay..the palace nannies and his billions will pay for everything...
I don't want to get into a huge morality debate but unless you were in the bedroom when they had sex I don't see how you can certain that they didn't use contraception.

No contraception is 100% safe, it can and does fail.

At least this child will grow up with loving parents who are able to provide for their child.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLEY
I don't see what is to celebrate, A baby born to unmarried teenagers is not exactly a role model for young people in today's luxumbourg. Grand duchess Josephine-charlotte must be spinning not just turing in her grave.
I too think its irresponsible for two young unmarried people to have a child without committing to their future, but with all the things that can go wrong in a pregnancy, surely the healthy birth of any baby is cause to celebrate. The child did not ask to be born; don't burden the child with the sins of the parents.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Aristocracy

Congrats to the parents. Since the baby isn't a member of the royal family I wonder if there will be baby pictures? I can't wait. I am a sucker for babies.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

At least baby Gabriel is healthy: I know alot of posts say "the family is supportive" but what about Tessys' family are they thrilled/proud to be sorta kinda related via their new grandson to the Grand-Ducal family or embarrassed? Are they putting up balloons/ stork signs announcing the birth to everybody on their street? are their neighbors slapping granddad/mom on his/her back telling them you know he's set for life you must be so proud of Tessy; wish it was MY daughter!"???
Wittykitty
Old 03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

Smile

Like Little Star I wasn't really aware of this until reading about it on Hello. However, it is a refreshing change that the Luxembourg royals have been so open about the pregnancy/birth from the start rather than saying nothing and covering it up only for the 'scndalous revelations' about the child to come out a few years down the line in a tacky tabloid.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I too think its irresponsible for two young unmarried people to have a child without committing to their future, but with all the things that can go wrong in a pregnancy, surely the healthy birth of any baby is cause to celebrate. The child did not ask to be born; don't burden the child with the sins of the parents.
A sin??? Is it a sin to make love when you are not married. I know a lot of people who have children and have lived together for 20 years without being married. You cant judge people to be sinners just because they have children without being married.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
A sin??? Is it a sin to make love when you are not married. I know a lot of people who have children and have lived together for 20 years without being married. You cant judge people to be sinners just because they have children without being married.
It all depends on religion. The Grand Dukes are Roman Catholics. In the eyes of the Church, premarital sex is a sin. Having children out of wedlock is considered to be a taboo and a very grave situation to be in even in other cultures that are not Roman Catholics. It's a very touchy situation between a royal family and relgion. In some countries, like the UK, the church and ruler and intertwined. As a member of a royal family, like it or not, you are a role model for the rest of the country and the standards are a lot higher for you than for the common man.

I'm torn about this birth, really. As with the other posters, every birth of a child is a joyous one. They are gifts and should be received with happiness and gratitude. On the other hand, I have to think of this child's future and, shamefully for me, the circumstances of his birth. He is still illegitimate, and therefore, his position with the family is tenuous. If Louis marries someone else and has children with his wife, his firstborn might be pushed to the background. It's a sad thing, but it has happened before.

And about money? Yes, true that Gabriel will be set for life. However, the most important things in this life are things money can't buy. We never know what will happen in the future as to how he will be seen by the royals and by the people, through no fault of his own. The fact that he was born out od wedlock presents a lot of challenges for him in the future and money won't be able to save him in some circumstances.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
It all depends on religion. The Grand Dukes are Roman Catholics. In the eyes of the Church, premarital sex is a sin. Having children out of wedlock is considered to be a taboo and a very grave situation to be in even in other cultures that are not Roman Catholics. It's a very touchy situation between a royal family and relgion. In some countries, like the UK, the church and ruler and intertwined. As a member of a royal family, like it or not, you are a role model for the rest of the country and the standards are a lot higher for you than for the common man.

I'm torn about this birth, really. As with the other posters, every birth of a child is a joyous one. They are gifts and should be received with happiness and gratitude. On the other hand, I have to think of this child's future and, shamefully for me, the circumstances of his birth. He is still illegitimate, and therefore, his position with the family is tenuous. If Louis marries someone else and has children with his wife, his firstborn might be pushed to the background. It's a sad thing, but it has happened before.

And about money? Yes, true that Gabriel will be set for life. However, the most important things in this life are things money can't buy. We never know what will happen in the future as to how he will be seen by the royals and by the people, through no fault of his own. The fact that he was born out od wedlock presents a lot of challenges for him in the future and money won't be able to save him in some circumstances.
Thank you for voicing my own feelings so succinctly.