Where will Guillaume live once he marries?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a home I think he will live in this one once he marries... what do you think about that ? why not ? A simple life for a simple guy ;)

I believe that the first home of Henri and MT was a lovely villa similar to the pictured one that is now serving as an embassy/consulate/ambassador residence for an African nation (which I cannot recall).

Honestly, I feel the simplest and least expensive option for Guillaume is to reside in the Grand Ducal apartments at the Grand Ducal Palace until it is possible for him and his new family to move to Fischbach which is currently the home of his grand father. Besides the Berg is huge and it seems that Louis and Tessy never minded that being their Luxembourg home, so I doubt Guillaume and his wife would be bothered by his family.

That palace is really pretty and I have read that it is open to tourists if you book ahead and pay. I've penned a holiday to Europe in my little diary of pipe dreams and will see it if I can.:flowers:

Really, it is so pretty I'm surprised it's not used as a home.

Vianden Castle is beautiful, I could live happily there (but without ghosts). and this castle belongs to the family? guillaume believe that when I turned 18, was a party in a castle, which was not family, the family rented for the party is this? few castle or properties in luxembourg there of the family?
and at Chateau de berg who live (tessy are louis and occasionally, like Felix, but do not live there all the time, right?

Viandan is surely beautiful! It used to belong to the Grand Ducal Family, however, it has been sold to the state many years ago.

Aside from regular investment properties that normal people have, the family only owns Chateau de Fischbach which is held in the Nassau Family Trust. All the other properties like Viandan, the Palace and the Chateau de Berg are owned by the state. Chateau de Berg is always home to the reigning Grand Duke and his spouse/children this is enshrined in the constitution. I'm not aware that any of the other family reside there other than Henri, Maria-Teresa and their children and grand children who live there when in Luxembourg. Grand Duke Jean resides at Fischbach.

They do have apartments in the Grand Ducal Palace and use it very frequently, but it is not their main residence. Officially the Grand Duke resides in both Chateau de Berg and the Palace.

They used to own many properties including Viandan, Chateau de Berg, and Betsdorf (sold to private company) all of which were sold.

Viandan is surely beautiful! It used to belong to the Grand Ducal Family, however, it has been sold to the state many years ago.

Aside from regular investment properties that normal people have, the family only owns Chateau de Fischbach which is held in the Nassau Family Trust. All the other properties like Viandan, the Palace and the Chateau de Berg are owned by the state. Chateau de Berg is always home to the reigning Grand Duke and his spouse/children this is enshrined in the constitution. I'm not aware that any of the other family reside there other than Henri, Maria-Teresa and their children and grand children who live there when in Luxembourg. Grand Duke Jean resides at Fischbach.

They do have apartments in the Grand Ducal Palace and use it very frequently, but it is not their main residence. Officially the Grand Duke resides in both Chateau de Berg and the Palace.

They used to own many properties including Viandan, Chateau de Berg, and Betsdorf (sold to private company) all of which were sold.
Are you saying Chateau de Berg was sold too? I thought you said the Grand Duke resides there part of the time. I guess they must've had financial problems a while back and perhaps that's why they sold properties because wasn't it reported they sold family jewelry and other items a few years ago too?

Could you imagine the cost of the upkeep on those places?:flowers:

Are you saying Chateau de Berg was sold too? I thought you said the Grand Duke resides there part of the time. I guess they must've had financial problems a while back and perhaps that's why they sold properties because wasn't it reported they sold family jewelry and other items a few years ago too?

Yes, I'm saying Chateau de Berg was sold too. It was sold to the state in 1934 by Grand Duchess Charlotte for much less than it was worth. During this transaction the state also acquired almost all of the Grunewald. Charlotte had an excellent business mind. It was in their best interest to sell the property to the state. The state then became responsible for upkeep and renovations (when necessary), however, I'm not sure I would have made the same deal. They were paid around 40m Francs which was only a small fraction of the actual worth of the Castle and the forest. It was during the depression and Luxembourg was not yet one of the world's wealthiest nations.

The Grand Duke always resides there. That it was sold to the state has not and will not alter this fact. The Luxembourg constitution expressly states that the Grand Duke resides at Chateau de Berg and the Palace.

They were going to have an auction with many of the personal items and jewelry that were part of the estate of the late Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte. There was such an uproar in Luxembourg about the auction that it had to be cancelled and nothing has been sold. One must remember that the Grand Ducal Family is subject to normal inheritance laws and taxes. All of Josephine-Charlotte's belongings and estate were under common inheritance with Jean getting most as surviving spouse and the other half divided equally amongst her 5 children. Not all of her children are wealthy nor do they need such fantastic collections of jewelery. Only the Nassau Family Trust which contains Chateau de Fischbach, the remaining portion of the Gruenwald, and a few pieces of particularly important jewelry is protected as a trust which is always owned by the holder of the crown. It is estimated that the cancellation fee for that auction was over 200,000 Euro so it was an expensive proposition for the family.

The family has suffered some finance loss just like everyone else during the recent recessions. And, they are not worth billions of Euros as some people claim. Those estimations of wealth by Forbes, et al, include properties that belong to the state. There is no doubt, however, that they remain wealthy even by Luxembourg standards (which I dare say are different than most).

There was a post I made earlier this year when part of the remaining portions of the Grunewald owned by the family were opened to the public that detailed all the property transactions to the state. The family used to own most of the really grand property in Luxembourg such as Viandan, Betzdorf, and Chateau de Berg. With the exception of Fischbach and part of the Grunewald all have been sold. They do retain regular investment property as private assets (just like regular Luxembourgers) and sources of income.

:previous: Rumour has it that Prince Guillaume lives somewhere else in Europe - either Switzerland or UK and very privately. If that is true then he must come and go a lot.

Is Guillaume still studying? I can understand a crown prince living outside his country while he is in school, but once he's graduated, it seems odd that he would leave his country. Certainly, he must have dozens of royal duties. I know that Henri lived in Great Britain while he attended Sandhurst Military School, and while he was a student in Switzerland, but he promptly came back to Luxembourg after he finished his studies.

Guillaume , IMO, is now living in Luxembourg, he's graduated from Anger and he attended Sanhurst in 2001/2002 where he became an officier!

I read somewhere that there are apartments in the Grand Ducal Palace which are still livable.
Maybe Guillaume and his future wife can live there while GD Jean can reside at Chateau de Fischbach?

I read somewhere that there are apartments in the Grand Ducal Palace which are still livable.
Maybe Guillaume and his future wife can live there while GD Jean can reside at Chateau de Fischbach?

That does seem possable. I would hope that they wouldn't kick GD Jean out just because HGD Guillaume got married.

I think G and his lovely wife will live in Chateau de Fischbach with Jean :) Chatea is pretty big so for example G and family can have left wing of it while Jean has right wing (you got my point ;))

Where is Gui living now? Does he live at the palace or at a private residence in Luxembourg?

According to a Luxembourgish gossip magazine a guide of the Grand Ducal Palace told some visitors that the children of the Grand Ducal couple also have rooms at the Palace in case they have a night out and don't want to go back to Château de Berg. I suppose he is usually living at Colmar-Berg with his family like Dani said.

There are rooms at the Grand Ducal Palace for the family to use but officially the Grand Ducal family resident in Château de Berg. I think it's even in the Luxembourgian Constitution that the Grand Duke resident in Berg

yes, it is
The Grand Ducal Palace in Luxembourg and the Chateau de Berg are reserved for the residence of the Grand Duke.
from the Constitution

I see, thank you very much! It's kind of a waste to me to not see anyone living in the Palace. It's so beautiful, it should be used more often.

It's used daily as a work place

I think G and his lovely wife will live in Chateau de Fischbach with Jean :) Chatea is pretty big so for example G and family can have left wing of it while Jean has right wing (you got my point ;))
I agree with you... :) I think the same...

were does he live now?

i see the quastian have been asked and gotten a respons on

how many palaces are there for the royal family to choose from?

There is the Grand Ducal Palace, Chateau de Berg and Chateau du Fischbach.
The Luxembourgian constitution states that the Grand Duke must resident in Chateau de Berg. GD Jean currently lives in Fischbach and the Palace is used as work-place although it has room for living in

When the then Hereditary Grand Duke Henri and Maria Teresa married in 1981 the Court bought a Vulla in Heisdorf where the Couple lived for the first years. After the death of Grand Duchess Charlotte they moved to Fischbach Castle. Was the Villa sold again? otherwise this could be also the first home of Guillaume and Stéphanie.

I wonder if its all possible that Grand Duke Jean may move out of Fischbach and in to Berg Castle? I think Guillaume and Stephanie will almost certainly end up living at Fischbach eventually.
I think it more likely Jean would move into Berg Castle with his son rather than a grandson and new wife living in the same house as his 91 year old grandfather.
Most likely IMO Guillaume and Stephanie will live where ever Guillaume is living for now and (as much as I'm not wishing for it to come soon) when Jean died they will move into Fischbach.

Apparently it has been stated by the Grand Ducal court that Guillaume and Stephanie will live at Berg Castle. Given the size of the Castle i'm sure they'll have plenty of room to themselves. I wonder if in fact they have a house in the grounds or actually live in the castle itself.
I'm sure when it becomes free they will eventually move into Fischbach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the Princess Sybilla and her husband (Guilome, Jean, I forget) of Henri's generation live at Fischbach with Jean. This may be an error but it is what I read. Sybilla is beautiful. I'm new at this and have been roving around looking at various parts of the family, such as Sybilla, Charlotte, Jean, etc. I am impressed with the dignity of this family--real dignity, but with enough "give" to let Louis and Tessy into the family, a very important move, and also important that Louis not inherit because of irregularities. These people have the moves down. I think. I'm new!

Welcome Mariel1, I love following this family because they are beautiful to look at and down to earth, but have lost none of the regal dignity which is so sadly lacking in some of the other Ruling Families.

Even the misstep with Louis and Tessy was handled with dignity and discretion...and they seem to have now grown into a happy and lovely little family.

I hope Guillaume and his new bride will live at Berg..it's a lovely old castle set in a beautiful park!

Where does Guillaume live now? It was mentioned in Wort that he has not lived at Berg for sometime now and that after he marries he will not be living there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom