The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Aristocracy

Oh dear, I didn't mean to derail the discussion. What I was trying to say in my previous post is that no one (outside of the immediate circle of family and friends) actually knows whether or not Guillaume is on the verge of proposing to someone.

I said: "For all we know, he's already popped the question to some lucky girl!" That means, we don't know whether or not he's already popped the question (and therefore waiting for an official announcement to us, the public). Maybe the announcement will happen tomorrow, or in a year's time, or in 10 year's time. We just don't know.

As to how the timing of his marriage relates to this topic:

It has been suggested by others here that Jean might move out of Fischbach for Guillaume once Guillaume marries. It has also been suggested that Guillaume is apparently taking his own sweet time finding a bride and will only marry after Jean passes away, thereby leaving Fischbach empty for Guillaume. I was merely trying to point out that we (the public) don't know one way or other when Guillaume will marry and so we cannot assume that Fischbach will or will not be occupied by Jean at the time of Guillaume's marriage.

I'm sorry, that's a whole lot of words just to explain "we don't know whether or not Fischbach will be available for Guillaume and his bride when they marry."

Phew.

I shall shut up now and not add more to this off-topic diversion so we can all get back to discussing palaces in peace. My apologies for any confusion.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I only posted a warning to prevent this thread from turning into a thread with speculations about who HGD Guillaume will marry, will be engaged to etc. It wasn't my intention to stop the subject of this thread, his possible future residence(s), so feel free to discuss that more .

Old 02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
What about Viandan Castle? It is rather beautiful and has been fully restored since Jean gave it to the state. I'm not sure if it's livable, though. It is open to the public for part of the year which could cause a problem.

The village Viandan is said to be a magical place almost like a fairytale from the travel reviews I've read. Sounds perfect for a young Prince and his new Princess.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
What about Viandan Castle?
What a great idea! I love Vianden Castle, it's so beautiful. However, since it's under state ownership, can they live there? Do they need special permission? The castle website describes it as being 'a pile of rubble' before its restoration. Doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would get a CF. But if it's safe for visitors, it should be safe to live in, I suppose.

Some pictures of this lovely castle from the official website:

MobileMe Gallery

The fact of it being open to visitors shouldn't be a problem, since there are many royal residences that are open to visitors that can also act as homes. I visited Windsor Castle while the Queen was in residence. We had to go through a metal detector etc like in an airport but otherwise there was no problem for us visitors and I doubt the Queen was bothered by our presence.

BTW, does anyone know of a haunted castle in Lux? When I was little, I read in a book that there was a haunted castle in Luxembourg - there's a ghost story to go with it - and this discussion has reminded me of it. I don't think the future HGDss would appreciate having a ghost in her home. I'm sure it's bad for one's mental health and marriage.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Courtier

The Nazi's caused much damage to the property. Grand Duke Jean ceded the property to the state many years ago and it was fully restored. Prior to that it was owned by the family for some generations. Since the property has been restored I think it is probably livable but since it is now operating as a museum I'm not sure that it still has home type rooms in it after the restoration. I'm trying to think of other state owned homes that I think are grand enough for the heir to the throne of one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Nobility

If I'm not mistaken, this is the villa his parents lived in when they were first married. I believe he will move into a simular one once he marries.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Nobility

That's a beautiful villa but there are too many windows facing the direct sun. One may find that bothersome.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Claire View Post
If I'm not mistaken, this is the villa his parents lived in when they were first married. I believe he will move into a simular one once he marries.
I think that is the house Maria Teresas lived before they left Kuba.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinigirl View Post
I think that is the house Maria Teresas lived before they left Kuba.

Umm...There's no Fishbach Castle in Cuba.
And I don't think MT would've been allowed to
to live with Henri before marrying him.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Asfaik Fischbach Castle looks like that: http://www.monarchie.lu/fr/La_Monarc...ach/index.html
The villa in the Corbis link looks totally different, and there is an info that the picture were taken in Havanna....
Old 09-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Commoner

He has a home I think he will live in this one once he marries... what do you think about that ? why not ? A simple life for a simple guy
Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Courtier

I believe that the first home of Henri and MT was a lovely villa similar to the pictured one that is now serving as an embassy/consulate/ambassador residence for an African nation (which I cannot recall).

Honestly, I feel the simplest and least expensive option for Guillaume is to reside in the Grand Ducal apartments at the Grand Ducal Palace until it is possible for him and his new family to move to Fischbach which is currently the home of his grand father. Besides the Berg is huge and it seems that Louis and Tessy never minded that being their Luxembourg home, so I doubt Guillaume and his wife would be bothered by his family.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 AM
Nobility

That palace is really pretty and I have read that it is open to tourists if you book ahead and pay. I've penned a holiday to Europe in my little diary of pipe dreams and will see it if I can.

Really, it is so pretty I'm surprised it's not used as a home.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

Vianden Castle is beautiful, I could live happily there (but without ghosts). and this castle belongs to the family? guillaume believe that when I turned 18, was a party in a castle, which was not family, the family rented for the party is this? few castle or properties in luxembourg there of the family?
and at Chateau de berg who live (tessy are louis and occasionally, like Felix, but do not live there all the time, right?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Viandan is surely beautiful! It used to belong to the Grand Ducal Family, however, it has been sold to the state many years ago.

Aside from regular investment properties that normal people have, the family only owns Chateau de Fischbach which is held in the Nassau Family Trust. All the other properties like Viandan, the Palace and the Chateau de Berg are owned by the state. Chateau de Berg is always home to the reigning Grand Duke and his spouse/children this is enshrined in the constitution. I'm not aware that any of the other family reside there other than Henri, Maria-Teresa and their children and grand children who live there when in Luxembourg. Grand Duke Jean resides at Fischbach.

They do have apartments in the Grand Ducal Palace and use it very frequently, but it is not their main residence. Officially the Grand Duke resides in both Chateau de Berg and the Palace.

They used to own many properties including Viandan, Chateau de Berg, and Betsdorf (sold to private company) all of which were sold.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
Viandan is surely beautiful! It used to belong to the Grand Ducal Family, however, it has been sold to the state many years ago.

Aside from regular investment properties that normal people have, the family only owns Chateau de Fischbach which is held in the Nassau Family Trust. All the other properties like Viandan, the Palace and the Chateau de Berg are owned by the state. Chateau de Berg is always home to the reigning Grand Duke and his spouse/children this is enshrined in the constitution. I'm not aware that any of the other family reside there other than Henri, Maria-Teresa and their children and grand children who live there when in Luxembourg. Grand Duke Jean resides at Fischbach.

They do have apartments in the Grand Ducal Palace and use it very frequently, but it is not their main residence. Officially the Grand Duke resides in both Chateau de Berg and the Palace.

They used to own many properties including Viandan, Chateau de Berg, and Betsdorf (sold to private company) all of which were sold.
Are you saying Chateau de Berg was sold too? I thought you said the Grand Duke resides there part of the time. I guess they must've had financial problems a while back and perhaps that's why they sold properties because wasn't it reported they sold family jewelry and other items a few years ago too?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Could you imagine the cost of the upkeep on those places?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
Are you saying Chateau de Berg was sold too? I thought you said the Grand Duke resides there part of the time. I guess they must've had financial problems a while back and perhaps that's why they sold properties because wasn't it reported they sold family jewelry and other items a few years ago too?
Yes, I'm saying Chateau de Berg was sold too. It was sold to the state in 1934 by Grand Duchess Charlotte for much less than it was worth. During this transaction the state also acquired almost all of the Grunewald. Charlotte had an excellent business mind. It was in their best interest to sell the property to the state. The state then became responsible for upkeep and renovations (when necessary), however, I'm not sure I would have made the same deal. They were paid around 40m Francs which was only a small fraction of the actual worth of the Castle and the forest. It was during the depression and Luxembourg was not yet one of the world's wealthiest nations.

The Grand Duke always resides there. That it was sold to the state has not and will not alter this fact. The Luxembourg constitution expressly states that the Grand Duke resides at Chateau de Berg and the Palace.

They were going to have an auction with many of the personal items and jewelry that were part of the estate of the late Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte. There was such an uproar in Luxembourg about the auction that it had to be cancelled and nothing has been sold. One must remember that the Grand Ducal Family is subject to normal inheritance laws and taxes. All of Josephine-Charlotte's belongings and estate were under common inheritance with Jean getting most as surviving spouse and the other half divided equally amongst her 5 children. Not all of her children are wealthy nor do they need such fantastic collections of jewelery. Only the Nassau Family Trust which contains Chateau de Fischbach, the remaining portion of the Gruenwald, and a few pieces of particularly important jewelry is protected as a trust which is always owned by the holder of the crown. It is estimated that the cancellation fee for that auction was over 200,000 Euro so it was an expensive proposition for the family.

The family has suffered some finance loss just like everyone else during the recent recessions. And, they are not worth billions of Euros as some people claim. Those estimations of wealth by Forbes, et al, include properties that belong to the state. There is no doubt, however, that they remain wealthy even by Luxembourg standards (which I dare say are different than most).

There was a post I made earlier this year when part of the remaining portions of the Grunewald owned by the family were opened to the public that detailed all the property transactions to the state. The family used to own most of the really grand property in Luxembourg such as Viandan, Betzdorf, and Chateau de Berg. With the exception of Fischbach and part of the Grunewald all have been sold. They do retain regular investment property as private assets (just like regular Luxembourgers) and sources of income.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Gentry

Do they all still live at home?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Nobility

Rumour has it that Prince Guillaume lives somewhere else in Europe - either Switzerland or UK and very privately. If that is true then he must come and go a lot.

Tags
hereditary grand duke guillaume