The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Aristocracy

French, German and Luxembourgish are the main languages in Luxembourg so it would probably be helpful if you spoke it. But when I was there, a lot of people did talk to me in English.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShksprNLov
French, German and Luxembourgish are the main languages in Luxembourg so it would probably be helpful if you spoke it. But when I was there, a lot of people did talk to me in English.
I think you mean "LŽtzebuergesch."

Here you can read about the language usage in Luxembourg: http://www.luxembourg.co.uk/lingua.html.

Old 07-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I think you mean "LŽtzebuergesch."

Here you can read about the language usage in Luxembourg: http://www.luxembourg.co.uk/lingua.html.
I know it's LŽtzebuergesch; I was just putting it in English for those who might not know.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think the language thing is essential if you are marrying any royal.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
I think the language thing is essential if you are marrying any royal.
yes,yes...but English is the universal language. Just look at P Frederik &CP Mary...they met, and then she had to learn to speak another language :)

www.one.org
Old 07-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Nobility

Yes, of course it will be necessary for somebody who marries a royal to know several languages. Even with some languages becoming universal, such as English, I still think it is a good gesture to know the native language of your new home country.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

And of nations in close quarters.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Courtier

Why is it that so many say that Guillaume isn't a "Crown Prince," yet in various websites, he is known as "Crown Prince Guillaume."
And, this thread is titled, "The Next Crown Princess of Luxembourg"
I know the House is called the Grand Ducal, but...what gives? :)

www.one.org
Old 08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Courtier

Because "Crown Prince" is a title for heir to some kingdoms (not all kingdoms use the title, ie the UK, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands). Guillaume is the their to a grand duchy. He's Hereditary Grand Duke, so his wife would be a Hereditary Grand Duchess.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Because "Crown Prince" is a title for heir to some kingdoms (not all kingdoms use the title, ie the UK, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands). Guillaume is the their to a grand duchy. He's Hereditary Grand Duke, so his wife would be a Hereditary Grand Duchess.
Oh. Thanks for the explanation, kelly9480 :)

www.one.org
Old 08-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Still, when I first heard of him, he was called the Crown Prince. Many people don't understand the whole Grand Duchy thing.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Nobility

If I remember correctly Guillaume was initially called Crown Prince. but after his father became Grand Duke his title was changed to Hereditary Grand Duke.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Courtier

That makes sense :)

www.one.org
Old 08-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Courtier

He was never the "crown prince", he may have been called Hereditary Prince [which is generally the title used by the heir to the heir of the throne, see for example Alexander of Yugoslavia and his eldest son Prince Petar] but the title of Crown Prince does not exist in Luxembourg.
As a side note, the title of Hereditary Grand Duke is not automatic; it has to be bestowed upon someone by the current Grand Duke or Duchess [Charlotte did it for Jean, Jean did it for Henri, and Henri did it for Guillaume].
Old 08-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Courtier

Thank you all for your responses :)

www.one.org
Old 08-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Gentry

What if Alexandra would become the next Grand Duchess, would her husband be the Prince Consort or the Grand Duke?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha
He was never the "crown prince", he may have been called Hereditary Prince [which is generally the title used by the heir to the heir of the throne, see for example Alexander of Yugoslavia and his eldest son Prince Petar] but the title of Crown Prince does not exist in Luxembourg.
As a side note, the title of Hereditary Grand Duke is not automatic; it has to be bestowed upon someone by the current Grand Duke or Duchess [Charlotte did it for Jean, Jean did it for Henri, and Henri did it for Guillaume].
Ah, ok, thanks for the correction. I'd heard him referred to as "Crown Prince" before becoming the HGD, so I didn't know that the title doesn't actually exist in Luxembourg.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Were Alexandra to become Grand Duchess, her husband would probably follow the example of Charlotte's husband and just be known as "Prince ______". He wouldn't be Grand Duke and the title Prince Consort isn't part of the country's history. Of course, Alexandra doesn't yet even have rights to the throne, and she's got three older brothers so this is, barring an unspeakable tragedy in the family, a moot point.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha
Yes, Guillaume became the Hereditary Grand Duke a few months after his parents became the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

if you had to choose one of the current princesses' personalities as the ideal for the next crown princess, which one would you choose?

mary's: in my oppinion i would qualify mary's personality as "attention catching"
mathilde's: her noble, beautiful, sweet personality
maxima's or rania's (not princess but queen): vibrant, elegant, dedicated and active in many aspects of the country
letizia: wise and intelligent, ambitious and hardwordking and in some way "leader" personality
mette marit: simplicity and "down to earthn-ess" with a point of wild personality

i think someone as mary wouldn't be the best option as i think he needs to stand by himself as he is not really known. mathilde's personality would be the best one imo, mixed with the active role maxima and rania are taking in their contries.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Closed Thread

Tags
hereditary grand duchess, hereditary grand duke guillaume