The Next Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
French, German and Luxembourgish are the main languages in Luxembourg so it would probably be helpful if you spoke it. But when I was there, a lot of people did talk to me in English.

ShksprNLov said:
French, German and Luxembourgish are the main languages in Luxembourg so it would probably be helpful if you spoke it. But when I was there, a lot of people did talk to me in English.

I think you mean "Lëtzebuergesch."

Here you can read about the language usage in Luxembourg: http://www.luxembourg.co.uk/lingua.html.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
I think the language thing is essential if you are marrying any royal.

yes,yes...but English is the universal language. Just look at P Frederik &CP Mary...they met, and then she had to learn to speak another language :)

Yes, of course it will be necessary for somebody who marries a royal to know several languages. Even with some languages becoming universal, such as English, I still think it is a good gesture to know the native language of your new home country.

Why is it that so many say that Guillaume isn't a "Crown Prince," yet in various websites, he is known as "Crown Prince Guillaume."
And, this thread is titled, "The Next Crown Princess of Luxembourg"
I know the House is called the Grand Ducal, but...what gives? :)

Because "Crown Prince" is a title for heir to some kingdoms (not all kingdoms use the title, ie the UK, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands). Guillaume is the their to a grand duchy. He's Hereditary Grand Duke, so his wife would be a Hereditary Grand Duchess.

kelly9480 said:
Because "Crown Prince" is a title for heir to some kingdoms (not all kingdoms use the title, ie the UK, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands). Guillaume is the their to a grand duchy. He's Hereditary Grand Duke, so his wife would be a Hereditary Grand Duchess.

Oh. Thanks for the explanation, kelly9480 :)

Still, when I first heard of him, he was called the Crown Prince. Many people don't understand the whole Grand Duchy thing.

If I remember correctly Guillaume was initially called Crown Prince. but after his father became Grand Duke his title was changed to Hereditary Grand Duke.

He was never the "crown prince", he may have been called Hereditary Prince [which is generally the title used by the heir to the heir of the throne, see for example Alexander of Yugoslavia and his eldest son Prince Petar] but the title of Crown Prince does not exist in Luxembourg.
As a side note, the title of Hereditary Grand Duke is not automatic; it has to be bestowed upon someone by the current Grand Duke or Duchess [Charlotte did it for Jean, Jean did it for Henri, and Henri did it for Guillaume].

What if Alexandra would become the next Grand Duchess, would her husband be the Prince Consort or the Grand Duke?

suturegeisha said:
He was never the "crown prince", he may have been called Hereditary Prince [which is generally the title used by the heir to the heir of the throne, see for example Alexander of Yugoslavia and his eldest son Prince Petar] but the title of Crown Prince does not exist in Luxembourg.
As a side note, the title of Hereditary Grand Duke is not automatic; it has to be bestowed upon someone by the current Grand Duke or Duchess [Charlotte did it for Jean, Jean did it for Henri, and Henri did it for Guillaume].

Ah, ok, thanks for the correction. I'd heard him referred to as "Crown Prince" before becoming the HGD, so I didn't know that the title doesn't actually exist in Luxembourg.

Were Alexandra to become Grand Duchess, her husband would probably follow the example of Charlotte's husband and just be known as "Prince ______". He wouldn't be Grand Duke and the title Prince Consort isn't part of the country's history. Of course, Alexandra doesn't yet even have rights to the throne, and she's got three older brothers so this is, barring an unspeakable tragedy in the family, a moot point.

suturegeisha said:

Yes, Guillaume became the Hereditary Grand Duke a few months after his parents became the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess.

if you had to choose one of the current princesses' personalities as the ideal for the next crown princess, which one would you choose?

mary's: in my oppinion i would qualify mary's personality as "attention catching"
mathilde's: her noble, beautiful, sweet personality
maxima's or rania's (not princess but queen): vibrant, elegant, dedicated and active in many aspects of the country
letizia: wise and intelligent, ambitious and hardwordking and in some way "leader" personality
mette marit: simplicity and "down to earthn-ess" with a point of wild personality

i think someone as mary wouldn't be the best option as i think he needs to stand by himself as he is not really known. mathilde's personality would be the best one imo, mixed with the active role maxima and rania are taking in their contries.

Last edited:
Hm, interesting...
I think the ideal crown princess' personality should encompass:

Letizia's modesty and intelligence,
maxima's sense of style,
Mathilde's sense of love and happiness,
and CP Victoria's experience and activeness
:)

I think that the ideal Crown Princess won't be like any others in Europe, because all of the Crown Princesses in Europe are different.

I dont think she should be a gold digger or an attention seeker... instead a supporter of her countries ideals... i think she should have a pure heart...

Luxemburg doesn't have a crownprincess/prince. When you talk about Guillaume, he's the hereditary grandduke. his wife will be the hereditary grandduchess.
Before they become granddukes they are 'just' princes (grandduke in the case ranks higher).

would it be appropriate to call her "princess so and so" or would she be "hereditary grandduchess so and so"?

pallas athina said:
would it be appropriate to call her "princess so and so" or would she be "hereditary grandduchess so and so"?

Her correct title would be Hereditary Grand Duchess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom