Stéphanie's Title After Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't HRH and not HGD?

HGD - Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxemburg

Her Royal Highness the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
Her style and titles in full are: Her Royal Highness Princess Stéphanie Marie Claudine Christine, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Hereditary Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon-Parma.

Last edited:
marta19pl said:

Her style and titles in full are: Her Royal Highness Princess Stéphanie Marie Claudine Christine, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Hereditary Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon-Parma.

According to the Royal family website she is HRH Heir Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

:previous:

Cour Grand-Ducale lists Stéphanie as La Grande-Duchesse Héritière, which translates into English as 'The Hereditary Grand Duchess'.

JessRulz said:

Cour Grand-Ducale lists Stéphanie as La Grande-Duchesse Héritière, which translates into English as 'The Hereditary Grand Duchess'.

The English translation of the website through Google had him listed The Hereditary Grand Duke and her as Heir Grand Duchess.

Yes, I agree with you Jess. She is called Hereditary Grand Duchess on the website. HRH before that of course.

I meant to say the opposite in my post. Originally this thread had HRH in the title and I was trying to say it should be HGD. I don't know what happened to my sentence there. :ohmy:

Yes, I agree with you Jess. She is called Hereditary Grand Duchess on the website. HRH before that of course.

I am a little confused...I thought she could only become Hereditary Grand Duchess by Grand Ducal decree or proclamation...did it happen sometime after the Nuptial Mass?

At the conclusion of the Mass, Archbishop Hollerich referred to her as "Princess Stephanie".

[Her style and titles in full are: Her Royal Highness Princess Stéphanie Marie Claudine Christine, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Hereditary Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon-Parma. ]//quote marta 19pl

Add "Countess de Lannoy" to the end of all that as well. She retains her birth title of Countess until death.

Last edited:

In Stéphanie's biography on Cour Grand-Ducale, there is a sentence which translates to "October 20, 2012, in the Cathedral of Notre-Dame, HRH Prince Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg took as his wife Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy, who became Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg."

Upon marriage, she took her husband's titles - Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Princess of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau, Princess of Bourbon-Parma - as is typical. She is referred to as both the Hereditary Grand Duchess and Princess Stéphanie throughout the biography. Where did you read she could only become the HGD through decree/proclamation?

Does anyone know when Princess Stéphanie became Hereditary Grand Duchess? I have not seen any official announcement after the wedding and in my understanding Grand Duke Henri was going to decide on it a couple of days after the wedding (meaning it was not automatic).

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know when Princess Stéphanie became Hereditary Grand Duchess? I have not seen any official announcement after the wedding and in my understanding Grand Duke Henri was going to decide on it a couple of days after the wedding (meaning it was not automatic).

As per Wiki on the 20th of October 2012 – present: Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.

Surely Stephanie would become Her Gr Dss of Luxembourg as soon as she married. It was different in Tessy Antony's case as that was a non-standard union. Normally all wives take their husband's title and precedence. I also seem to remember that in an interview about Stephanie getting Luxembourgish nationality, Guillaume said that she needed it right away as she would become Her Gr Dss when she married and therefore she couldn't still be a Belgian national.

Well on this I have the Luxembourg Royal Family Website translated and when it translated it into English it had him with his title yet it has her as Heir Grand Duchess. Not sure why because it looks the same other than the masculine and feminine versions. Maybe a flaw in Google Translate.

On the day of the civil ceremony it was announced she was a Princess of Luxembourg until a special decree by the Grand Duke I saw this posted on this site not in a official site. Also, even though the titles look the same on the royal website it translates with him having his title yet she is said to be The Heir Grand Duchess. This is me using Google Translate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well on this I have the Luxembourg Royal Family Website translated and when it translated it into English it had him with his title yet it has her as Heir Grand Duchess. Not sure why because it looks the same other than the masculine and feminine versions. Maybe a flaw in Google Translate.

I think it's the proper way to do it say it. The other couples (at least when the husband is the heir) are Crown Prince X with his Crown Princess Y, so it's the same with Guillaume et Stéphanie

On the day of the civil ceremony it was announced she was a Princess of Luxembourg until a special decree by the Grand Duke I saw this posted on this site not in a official site. Also, even though the titles look the same on the royal website it translates with him having his title yet she is said to be The Heir Grand Duchess. This is me using Google Translate.

Male and female versions of 'Hereditary' are being used in French on Cour Grand-Ducale, which is what is messing with the automated Google Translate. 'Héritière' (f) translates to 'heiress', and in this context is transposed to 'hereditary', as is the male version.

I found a mention of the title in the civil wedding thread, which said Stéphanie was a Princess of Luxembourg after the civil ceremony but then after the religious ceremony would be HGD. Nothing mentioning a decree though :ermm:

Last edited:
Breathtaking title for sure! I would like to add that Stephanie has got truly beautiful names, Claudine and Christine are lovely, IMO! I would love to see their daughter(s) take one of these names in the future!

Didn't the Grand Ducal family keep the HRH but drop the title prince/princess of Bourbon Parma?

Edited to add: I looked it up and the title was relinquished in 1986 but the style was kept.

Last edited:
I think Stephanie Christine would be a nice name for one of their future daughters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom