HGD Stéphanie's Family - The de Lannoys

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you. Maria Teresa should have been at the funeral. It looks unbecoming that she is not. Regarding Stephanie, it is ironic that her mother was so fertile as are her many siblings, yet we are 6 years into the royal marriage and no baby. The court of Luxembourg of course says nothing. What can they say? I feel really sorry for Stephanie. Her parents must have been very proud that she married a royal heir, yet, the mother unexpectantly died before the wedding and the father dies before she is able to produce an heir. Her mother would have been so proud to see Stephanie walk down the aisle with a prince and her father equally proud to further consolidate the noble Lannoy family with the birth of a princely heir. Now nothing. On top of the pain of losing her father, it must weigh heavily on Stephanie that she was not able to give her father that desired grandson. It's heartbreaking to see her in the photographs. She looks as if she is the very personification of pain and hurt.

I know that the focus in this topic is on Stephanie but the same could be said for Guillaume (who is one of 5 siblings). It is not Stephanie who hasn't 'produced an heir' (which doesn't have to be a boy/grandson). It is the two of them that unfortunately don't have children and knowing that not just their families but also a whole country is waiting for their grandchild/niece or nephew/heir must be even harder, adding to their personal struggle with their lives being different than expected/hoped for.

It doesn’t occur to me that well bred people in the public eye are constantly at odds with drama and ill will within their family. MT seems like a sweet and considerate mother in law.

:previous: Very true! But people tend to forget that family strife made public in Royal families is the recent exception, not the rule.:cool:

As for MT, she was visibly upset and in tears at the funeral of Stephanie's mother. She was seen personally comforting the distraught Count de Lannoy at the civil wedding of Gui and Stephanie.

Stephanie admitted that Maria Teresa took personal charge of virtually the entire wedding after the death of the Countess, including Stephanie's bridal gown.

The result was one of the most magnificent and moving Royal weddings in recent memory.

I do not believe that there is any ill will between the two. MT, knowing that her daughter in law was supported by many members of the GD family, chose to keep her engagement with Mme. Macron.

Last edited:
Let's focus on the topic of this thread and not about possible children for the Hereditary Grand Duke and the Hereditary Grand Duchess.

Please move on...

Edit: listening to mod. requests is not optional but obligatory. New posts continuing on the the above topic have therefore been removed.

Last edited:
The GD never has any "interaction" in her photos with her daughters-in-law...never.

With her husband,absolutely. With her children? Occasionally. With her grand-children and her pets? Yes.
Yet MT has waxed poetic about her daughters in law in print...Stephanie for her dignity and courage under immense pressure, Claire for her sense of humor, and even the disgraced Tessy for being a commoner and adapting to Royal life.

As for Stephanie? She is one of the most formal-some say stiff- young women on the Royal scene, if not the most of all.

If someone can find a photo of her embracing her in-laws, ANY of them- I'd be grateful.;)

Seems like just before or after a kiss on their cheeks...

Nice interaction between the two at bazaar visit (especially the one when MT puts hat on Stephanie).

Last edited:
:previous: Very true! But people tend to forget that family strife made public in Royal families is the recent exception, not the rule.:cool:

As for MT, she was visibly upset and in tears at the funeral of Stephanie's mother. She was seen personally comforting the distraught Count de Lannoy at the civil wedding of Gui and Stephanie.

Stephanie admitted that Maria Teresa took personal charge of virtually the entire wedding after the death of the Countess, including Stephanie's bridal gown.

The result was one of the most magnificent and moving Royal weddings in recent memory.

I do not believe that there is any ill will between the two. MT, knowing that her daughter in law was supported by many members of the GD family, chose to keep her engagement with Mme. Macron.

thanks for these details, some of which i didn't know - particularly that MT took care of the wedding prep when stephanie was mourning. it was indeed a lovely wedding, and that gown was stunning so she clearly wanted the best for her son and daughter in law. where did this info surface from? was it in an interview with stephanie?

i remember the press reporting on MT being extra caring with stephanie's dad on the wedding day.

i honestly see the luxembourg's as a very loving, tight knit family. i don't suspect there are major family issues. MT herself suffered when she joined the family with settling and gaining the respect of her in laws, so i am sure she does not want to repeat the story. she doesn't strike me as a grudgy person. the fact that MT wasn't there was because she had other things in the agenda. the grand duke was present and Mt wore black as a gesture to stephanie. would have loved to see felix and claire there in the funeral though...

I don't have a problem with GD Maria Teresa keeping her planned event in Paris. There was still considerable Grand Ducal representation; Stephanie was well supported. Would MT's presence at the funeral been appreciated? Of course. However, she had a conflict.

There's nothing wrong with her enjoying herself at the awards ceremony or reception. Was she supposed to act sombre? Look unhappy? It's a celebratory occasion; she should not bring a depressing attitude.

I feel only MT's absence encounters this criticism. If GD Henri, Prince Louis, or Princess Alexandra were absent, there would hardly be anyone insisting "Henri/Louis/Alexandra should have attended the funeral."

More information about Stéphanie de Lannoy's family.

More information about Hôtel de Lannoy in Brussels: Royalement Blog: L'hôtel de Lannoy à Bruxelles

More information about the Luxembourg branch of Lannoy: Royalement Blog: La branche luxembourgeoise des Lannoy

More information about the common ancestors of Guillaume and Stéphanie:
Royalement Blog: Les ancêtres communs de Guillaume et Stéphanie

Ancestors of Stéphanie, Countess of Lannoy.
stephanie%20luxemburgo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Gaelle is still a nun? I wonder why she is referred to by her birth title, and not as "Sister" as she was at the time of the death of her mother the Countess de Lannoy?

Since she is wearing what looks to be civilian clothes, I assumed she no longer belonged to the Order.

She is not a nun but an oblate or a consecrated virgin. Therefore she is entitled to civilian clothes.

I just looked at RTL video. It was said the christening did not take place today, as it had already be celebrated. What was celebrated today was a thanksgiving mass with complementary rites of baptism, like the oil anointing. Why little prince Charles has already been baptized has not be revealed. However, the RTL video is formal : it was not a christening mass.

How does that exactly work? Typically it is stated that she is 'a religious sister'; I assumed Roman Catholic Religious Sisters would be nuns but look forward to learn more about this phenomenon.

https://anunslife.org/how-to-become-a-nun/sister-or-nun

The simplest explanation I could find for people.
Would 'sisters' still live with other religious sisters or could they live on their own and find their own way of life as long as it adheres to their 'simple' vows (apparently meaning that they do own stuff unlike those with 'solemn' vows)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom