The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Not most prestigious only in Belgium, but on the Continent as well, with connections to the Royal House of France through the de Lignes.
Thank you for correcting me Moonmaiden. In deed, Stephanie's pedigree is unrivaled. Guillaume couldn't have done better if he had invented her! You can bet your bottom dollar that even the extremely demanding late Josephine Charlotte would have heartedly approved of Guillaume's choice of a bride.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post
Thank you for correcting me Moonmaiden. In deed, Stephanie's pedigree is unrivaled. Guillaume couldn't have done better if he had invented her! You can bet your bottom dollar that even the extremely demanding late Josephine Charlotte would have heartedly approved of Guillaume's choice of a bride.

Sadly enough, just 80-90 years ago the prospect of marriage between a future ruler of a European country and someone belonging to a distinguished but unmediatized family such as the de Lannoys would've sent shock waves through the courts of Europe. Think off the scandal when Franz Ferdinand married Sophie von Chotek and all the suffering it caused to the people involved just because of her so called "lower rank".

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Sadly enough, just 80-90 years ago the prospect of marriage between a future ruler of a European country and someone belonging to a distinguished but unmediatized family such as the de Lannoys would've sent shock waves through the courts of Europe. Think off the scandal when Franz Ferdinand married Sophie von Chotek and all the suffering it caused to the people involved just because of her so called "lower rank".
True, reigning princes were supposed to form alliances with other princes from other reigning families. It was their diplomatic duty in order to secure peace and empower their country. The Habsburgs more than any other family became powerful thanks to a number of fortuitous marriages. How does the saying go?

"Leave the waging of wars to others! But you, happy Austria, marry; for the realms which Mars awards to others, Venus transfers to you."

So, the vehement opposition to the unfortunate Sophie is understandable. In today's world where dynastic alliances no longer have diplomatic importance, Guillaume's marriage to Stephanie is spectacular In fact, I can't think of a recent heir that has done as well as he.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
All due respect, I would be hesitant to say that Diana Spencer's lineage is far greater than Stephanie's. Stephanie comes from one of the most prestigious families in Belgium and while the late Diana had royal lines of descent, so does Stephanie, but the Lannoy's date back to the 1300's, while the Spencers became ennobled much later in 1603.
Diana's lineage is far greater. Stephanie's family is older but the Spencers have many, many more royal ancestors.

Quote:
Today's Spencers are direct descendants, albeit illegitimate, of the House of Stuart, with the family boasting at least five lines of direct descent from the Stuarts; and from them, the Spencers can trace their ancestry to other royal houses such as the Bourbons, the Medicis, the Wittelsbachs, the Hanovers, the Sforzas, the Habsburgs, and the Houses of Howard and Boleyn through Mary Boleyn, Mistress of Henry VIII of England. Moreover, the Spencers are one of the very few British noble families to be the heirs body of a once sovereign family, being the senior female-line descendants of John Churchill, the once sovereign Prince of Mindelheim (more commonly known as the Duke of Marlborough).
Spencer family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessOfPeace View Post
Diana's lineage is far greater. Stephanie's family is older but the Spencers have many, many more royal ancestors.

The Spencers are indeed impressive, but don't forget that Stephanie's paternal grandmother was Princess Marie Béatrix de Ligne. This would mean that Stephanie's royal ancestry is much closer than Diana's and more importantly legitimate. Now, I don't know who the Ligne's are related to, but I'm going to presume that like all royal families, they must have an impressive list of crowned cousins from all across the European continent which would mean that Stephanie is related to the different crown heads of Europe too. In fact, I know that she is a cousin of her husband Guillaume. I wonder who else she is related to. If anyone else knows, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Rayarena, I didn't mean to give off the impression of "correcting" you as your information is always so thorough and detailed. I simply wanted to emphasize that the Lannoys are well connected both in Belgium and in Continental Europe. I don't know if Stephanie's pedigree is "unrivalled" or even if that sort of thing is very meaningful anymore, but it definitely matches and even trumps Diana Spencer imo. And, I agree with you that Guillaume chose well.

I certainly hope that Guillaume and Stephanie are settling into a compatible and successful marriage, coming upon two years of marriage soon. Unfortunately their relatively low profile in the Grand Duchy doesn't leave room for anything other than speculation. I hope that will change soon!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Aristocracy

Don't worry Moonmaiden, I wasn't offended by your comment. You simply added something to my post and I welcome that. Even if we disagree in the future, I would welcome that too. We, often, learn from our disagreements. Anyway, I detect a little worry in your comment about the state of Guillaume and Stephanie's marriage. I concur. I read a lot of other comments that people make about G&S and many people express a certain reservation. Like something seems a little bit off. I hope that we are all wrong.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessOfPeace View Post

The De Lannoys were already of the highest nobility in the 13th (!) Century, were amongst the very first Knights of the Golden Fleece. The Earldom Spencer and Viscounty of Althorp were granted almost 500 years (!) later...

In 1551 Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange married with Anne d'Egmont, daughter of Maximilien d'Egmont (one of the richest nobles of the whole Habsburg Empire) and of Françoise de Lannoy. This means that the founder of the Netherlands already had a De Lannoy as mother-in-law, and his children a De Lannoy grandmother...

The high prestige and standing of the House De Lannoy is also visible in the fact that the brothers Hue de Lannoy (1384-1456), Guillebert de Lannoy (1386-1462) and Baudouin de Lannoy (1388-1474) all three were Knight of the Golden Fleece. Still today, 600 years later, this is a most exceptional prestige. No less than 16 De Lannoys would receive this most prestigious Order and often also created a Grande de España. The family is extremely well connected amongst the European aristocracy.

The age of nobility surpasses everything. The Massimo family in Italy derive their nobility directly from Quintus Fabius Maximus (born 275 before Christ) and who came from an ancient Patrician family and served Rome as Consul for five terms. Their written track of 2200 years of nobility blows away everything and makes a Prince Napoleon or a Prince Bernadotte nothing more than a parvenu in their eyes.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Aristocracy

And yet nothing you've stated disproves my original claim. I acknowledged Stephanie's family were ennobled earlier than the Spencers but the Spencers have many more royal ancestors. When Prince William becomes king, he will be the first British monarch to be a descendent of King Charles II.

Through his mother William is a descendent of the House of Stuart and through his Father he is a member of the House of Glucksburg

Also including the Duke of Cambridge, 14 Spencers have been made Knights of the Order of the Garter
Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Don't worry Moonmaiden, I wasn't offended by your comment. You simply added something to my post and I welcome that. Even if we disagree in the future, I would welcome that too. We, often, learn from our disagreements. Anyway, I detect a little worry in your comment about the state of Guillaume and Stephanie's marriage. I concur. I read a lot of other comments that people make about G&S and many people express a certain reservation. Like something seems a little bit off. I hope that we are all wrong.
Hi Rayarena, I am not yet ready to concede that there are problems. When they are out together they seem as content as could be. But yes...I would like to see them raise their profile.

And the announcement of an heir in the near future would be wonderful!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles de Lannoy, Viceroy of Italy, was appointed knight of the Golden Fleece in 1516.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

Anvaing Castle, the Lannoy family estate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvaing_Castle

Tags
hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, lannoy