The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

The castle is really beautiful. I like the fact that it is surrounded by water... It gives it a special charm

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDweller View Post
I hope it's okay that I've taken the liberty of starting a thread on Stephanie's family. Her sister-in-law Beatrice Spates - wife of her eldest brother Jehan - has a varied lineage. She was born in 1968 in Washington DC to Alfred Waters Spates of Maryland USA and Belgian aristocrat Marie Renée Kneppelhout van Sterkenberg.
If I am not mistaken, the Belgian noble title in Beatrice Spates's family was carried by her maternal grandmother, Countess Madeleine du Chastel de la Howarderie, who married Cornelius Kneppelhout van Sterkenburg (not Sterkenberg), a Dutch man. The Kneppelhout van Sterkenburg family does not belong to the Belgian aristocracy, although some of its members may have carried the title of Jonkheer (Esquire) in the Netherlands.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Gentry

Thanks for that info, claypoint2. I always think of "aristocrat" as being a more fluid term, to describe a high-bred, highly-placed person with nobility/gentry in their family tree, and that one can be an aristocrat without being a noble. However, I know that's probably more of a personal interpretation.

Regardless, I'm glad someone's contributed to this interesting topic.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Knepelhout van Sterkenburg family at least belongs to the Dutch patriciate. In the Netherlands the difference between the nobility and the patriciate isn't all that large and the two usually intermarried. The Knepelhourts married into well known families like the Beelaerts van Bloklands and the Rijckevorsels.

---
BTW Stephanie's sister-in-law Jkvr. Alice van Havre is somewhat related to Queen Mathilde. Her uncle Jhr. Roland van Havre married Jkvr. Marie-Madeleine Kervyn d' Oud Mooreghem. After she became a widow, Marie-Madeleine married Count Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz, eldest brother of Mathilde's father Patrick.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Stephanie has become an aunt again. Her brother Christian and his wife Luisa got parents of her third child, Jaques at Stephanie's birthday.
Luxarazzi : New Nephew for the Hereditary Grand Duchess
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, I saw all four parts. It's excellent. I was happy to see Stephanie included and participating in a discussion about her husband's great-grandmother. My French is not that good, but at some moment something was said about the Lannoy's in relation to the late President Roosevelt. Are the Lannoy's somehow related to Roosevelt? Also, my French is good enough to understand that the late Grand Duchess Charlotte was a close friend of Roosevelt. Am I correct, however, did they say at some point that Roosevelt's ancestors may have been Luxembourgish and that's why there was such an affinity between Charlotte and Roosevelt? By the way, Charlotte was amazing. I had no idea that she was in her youth such an attractive woman, so tall, poised and dignified, and what I would call elegance personified.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes Rayarena, the De Lannoys apparently have a Dutch/Flemish line of descent and a French one. America's great WWII president, Roosevelt, was from the Dutch branch through his mother Sara Delano. "Delano" is an Americanized version of De Lannoy.

Grand Duchess Charlotte and her son then-Prince Jean, made a State visit to the US in April 1963. The State Dinner given them by JFK and Jackie is considered one of the most memorable and elegant in White House history. You can see video of it on Youtube. Jacqueline Kennedy was pregnant, and she and the Grand Duchess discussed the fact that her daughter-in-law Josephine Charlotte was also expecting.

Sadly,Jackie's infant son died soon after birth that summer but Josephine-Charlotte gave birth to Prince Guillaume weeks later.

There exists a boulevard in Luxembourg named for President Kennedy, and dedicated to his memory.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes Rayarena, the De Lannoys apparently have a Dutch/Flemish line of descent and a French one. America's great WWII president, Roosevelt, was from the Dutch branch through his mother Sara Delano. "Delano" is an Americanized version of De Lannoy.
Fascinating, Moonmaiden23. Thank you for that little bit. I'd never been aware of that. Now I am.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Hi Lady Nimue...neither was I, until Countess Stephanie de Lannoy married HGD Guillaume a couple of years ago. Then it was in all the Royalty magazines and articles.

You can see Stephanie discuss it a little in the videos above...fascinating!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Grand Duchess Charlotte and her son then-Prince Jean, made a State visit to the US in April 1963. The State Dinner given them by JFK and Jackie is considered one of the most memorable and elegant in White House history. You can see video of it on Youtube. Jacqueline Kennedy was pregnant, and she and the Grand Duchess discussed the fact that her daughter-in-law Josephine Charlotte was also expecting.

Sadly,Jackie's infant son died soon after birth that summer but Josephine-Charlotte gave birth to Prince Guillaume weeks later.

There exists a boulevard in Luxembourg named for President Kennedy, and dedicated to his memory.
The de Lannoy family who becames the Delano family is not the same de Lannoy family HGD belongs to. There are many de Lannoy families not at all related. However, FDR and HGD Stéphanie are very distant cousins as they share a common ancestor at the beginning of the 16th century.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Those are interesting facts about Stephanie's family. Great to learn about it too.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
The de Lannoy family who becames the Delano family is not the same de Lannoy family HGD belongs to. There are many de Lannoy families not at all related. However, FDR and HGD Stéphanie are very distant cousins as they share a common ancestor at the beginning of the 16th century.

I didn't say anything about it being the exact same family...I mentioned different lines of descent from the de Lannoys, both Flemish/Dutch and French.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt is from the Dutch branch and is indeed distantly related to Stephanie, as she herself mentioned in the France2 documentary on Guillaume's grandmother.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Aristocracy

I think Stephanie is very pretty and seems like she is adjusting well to royal life. Lady Diana Spencer whose lineage is far greater than Stephanie's had a much more difficult time with the transition from nobility to life at court.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessOfPeace View Post
I think Stephanie is very pretty and seems like she is adjusting well to royal life. Lady Diana Spencer whose lineage is far greater than Stephanie's had a much more difficult time with the transition from nobility to life at court.
Stephanie is around 30 years old, and she is into a marriage which seems harmonius and happy. Diana was only twenty, marrying a quite "uknown" man to her, whose mind and heart was otherwhere,,. she was feeling this since the beginning.
United Kinkdom is not Luxembourg, and in top of that, apparently Dians was left "alone" into her new duties, without help or advise.
All these factors make that there is no comparison between the two ladies, hopefully for Stephanie.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I didn't say anything about it being the exact same family...I mentioned different lines of descent from the de Lannoys, both Flemish/Dutch and French.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt is from the Dutch branch and is indeed distantly related to Stephanie, as she herself mentioned in the France2 documentary on Guillaume's grandmother.
It has been proved they don't belong to the same line of descent. They are related and share common ancestors but not the de Lannoy ancestors. As I said, de Lannoy is a very common name in Flanders and the North of France. All the people named de Lannoy are not different lines of descent of the sames ancestries. Not at all. It would be like suggestion everyone named Dupont or Smith are different lines of descent of an only family.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
It has been proved they don't belong to the same line of descent. They are related and share common ancestors but not the de Lannoy ancestors. As I said, de Lannoy is a very common name in Flanders and the North of France. All the people named de Lannoy are not different lines of descent of the sames ancestries. Not at all. It would be like suggestion everyone named Dupont or Smith are different lines of descent of an only family.

True Sancia, but the point is that she and President Roosevelt are distantly related and share a name...those are the salient points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delano_family
If the connection was insignificant, Stephanie would not have spoken of it.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
True Sancia, but the point is that she and President Roosevelt are distantly related and share a name...those are the salient points.

Delano family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the connection was insignificant, Stephanie would not have spoken of it.
I did not denied FDR and HGD Stéphanie are sharing a name. What I am trying to explain is that they are not sharing de Lannoy ancestors. Wikipedia link's statement is that the Delano family's ancestor is Guisbert de Lannoy. All the serious genealogical researchers in France and Belgium have studied the alleged connection between Jean de Lannoy and Guilbert de Lannoy and the current conclusion they all agree with is that Guilbert de Lannoy has never existed and that no one knows for sure who were Jean de Lannoy's parents. The de Lannoy family HGD belongs to has its share of familial legend about the name connection with FDR. I am sorry for HGD who looks very sympathetic to me but it is a wrong genealogical fact. I am deeply involved in genealogical researches in France and I can't say anything other than it is a familial legend, one like many others we so like to believe in.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

A few posts not relevant to the topic at hand have been removed. Please remember that we discourage comparisons between royals.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessOfPeace View Post
All due respect, I would be hesitant to say that Diana Spencer's lineage is far greater than Stephanie's. Stephanie comes from one of the most prestigious families in Belgium and while the late Diana had royal lines of descent, so does Stephanie, but the Lannoy's date back to the 1300's, while the Spencers became ennobled much later in 1603.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Not most prestigious only in Belgium, but on the Continent as well, with connections to the Royal House of France through the de Lignes.

Tags
hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, lannoy