The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Or maybe she really is frumpy and has bad taste.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Maybe it also has to do with her faith, depending on how strict her Catholic faith is, one of her sisters are in a religious order, and an aunt is a nun, as well as having relatives who are priests. Perhaps she's more into a spiritual life than other crown princesses are and the importance of dressing and beautiful clothes will not play a major role in her life, and instead she will concentrate on what she can do in her role as hereditary grand duchess.
Good points. I too have wondered about that, and she does remind me of ultra-religious people who I know.

Whatever she is, she's certainly not vain.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Maybe it also has to do with her faith, depending on how strict her Catholic faith is, one of her sisters are in a religious order, and an aunt is a nun, as well as having relatives who are priests. Perhaps she's more into a spiritual life than other crown princesses are and the importance of dressing and beautiful clothes will not play a major role in her life, and instead she will concentrate on what she can do in her role as hereditary grand duchess.
Good point about her faith. Maybe what we see as old fashioned, conservative as a result of her having been surrounded by much older people her entire life and raised by such old parents also has to do with her faith. Maybe she believes in values like modesty and moderation when choosing your clothes, which are typical of people who are deeply religious, and her family seems to be deeply religious. In any case, this may change as she enters a "new" family, who are also religious but the women are not afraid of a bit of glamour.
In any case, it's going to be interesting to see how she changes/evolves with time
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Courtier

I think it's refreshing to NOT see half naked pictures of royalty.

LaRae
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Serene Highness

Oh, I did mot mean to imply that she should go around half naked, I just think she is a lovely young woman and she dresses so conservative. I did not stop to think that it was due to her upbringing or her religious beliefs. Of course that would make a difference seeing that she is quite modest. I should have thought it through better.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
Or maybe she really is frumpy and has bad taste.
Good taste is not something that comes naturally, as (almost) everything else it has to be cultivated, and if you are not interested in something you don't find interesting or important, you won't cultivate that trait. Perhaps Stéphanie prefers dressing comfortable rather than fashionable.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Good point. Of course that depends on how religious she is personally. I come from a large Irish Catholic family with several nuns as cousins. I can remember as a 5 year old helping smuggle a case of beer into the convent residence 2-3 bottles at a time in a paper bag - this was 1950-1 of course.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with all of you especially Meraude. As much as I enjoy seeing some of the CP's like Kate and Charlene look stylish and dazzling and wear beautiful clothes, I am more than ready for a Princess who will take a completely opposite anti-glam approach to her position. She was breathtaking on the most important day of her public life, the day that really counts.

As long as Stephanie's clothes are clean and she is well groomed I don't really mind if she isn't that interested in fashion for now.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Courtier

Remember she has also been grieving for her Mother. If you haven't been through that kind of grief, let me assure you it can take a long time to work through it. We will all just have to watch her grow into her roll as a Princess.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Stephanie is pretty stylish. Not in the same way as Mary, Kate, MM, Letizia or Maxima but in her own way. She's just more modest that the other CP's.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Courtier

Agree with you 4Pam, Stephanie is extremely modest in her dress sense.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree 4Pam, I don't think Stephanie is frumpy, has bad taste and many other things I've read here in the forum. I've seen her chosen quite some beautiful and fashionable items. I don't get the vibe that SHe doesn't care. I think she cares, she's polished, chooses beautiful clothes, accessories etc. But she's modest, which may reflect her personality but also her faith and the way she sees life.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Courtier

Modest - Hopefully not, if it comes to glittering events and jewelry.... then I want to see ther sparkle - with everything, which is in the Luxemburg vaults! Hope she follows her mother-in-law in this case
BYe Bine
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Majesty

I applaud Stephanie for dressing in a conservative and modest style. It definitely strikes me that she's more oriented towards being comfortable, and maybe seeing how the press is always praising (or trashing) some of the other princesses when it comes to their dress, and paying little to no attention to the causes they're supporting, she may have come to a conclusion that dressing down and allowing her charities and causes to do the talking she may be able to make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Catherine, Mary, and other royal ladies dress to (almost) impress when out on public duties, but I do wish that the focus (in case of Catherine) would be on the charity and not the wardrobe.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
I think Stephanie is pretty stylish. Not in the same way as Mary, Kate, MM, Letizia or Maxima but in her own way. She's just more modest that the other CP's.
She's not as haute couture as her peers, but she has her moments. I really liked that pale green evening gown she wore to Christoph and Adelaide's wedding dinner.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Serene Highness

I too like her conservative and modest style. I would get better tailoring for her slacks, but even they are OK. I think her hair would look better pulled up or pulled back. It becomes wispy hanging down in front. I agree with the general tone of approval here for her different way of dressing than most crown princesses.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I too like her conservative and modest style. I would get better tailoring for her slacks, but even they are OK. I think her hair would look better pulled up or pulled back. It becomes wispy hanging down in front. I agree with the general tone of approval here for her different way of dressing than most crown princesses.
I think people need to remember she's a good 12+ years younger than her counterparts. Give her time to adjust to her new role. She will find her own style, just like her predecessor, GD MT did.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Heir Apparent

maybe we need to be more patient, she's only just married into the lux family. it may take some time for her to find her own style, but i'm sure she will get all the support she needs to be a great representative of luxembourg. i am happy she's not a clothes horse. her future work will be far more important and i'm looking forward to seeing her getting more and more involved in the not too distant future. that way people will concentrate more on what she does and less on what she wears. but her appearances are quite rare as of now, so people have interest in seeing what she wears and how she behaves. that will all be a second interest when we get to see her doing activities more often.

as bine says, i just hope she sparkles up for her gala appearances. and from what we've seen at her wedding gala, i'm sure she will.

let's not forget that tessy seemed much more conservative when she married into the luxembourg family. maybe the same will happen with stephanie. she just needs some time to settle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine221 View Post
Modest - Hopefully not, if it comes to glittering events and jewelry.... then I want to see ther sparkle - with everything, which is in the Luxemburg vaults! Hope she follows her mother-in-law in this case
BYe Bine
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Portrait of a Princess at 30 - Happy Birthday to Luxembourg's Princess Stéphanie!
Wort.lu - Portrait of a Princess at 30 - Happy Birthday to Luxembourg's Princess Stéphanie!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Nobility

Thank you for that link, marine2109 - a lovely set of photos.

Tags
current events, hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, lannoy, luxembourg, news