The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Commoner

I want to make it clear that I fully understand and appreciate the right to privacy. When I said that the press is going to say what they want to say, I was not, by all means siding them. I only wanted to emphasize the truth. In an IDEAL WORLD, we respect the right of the press to carry-out their job, while the press respect our right to privacy. We try to find a balance between the two. In the REAL WORLD, however, the press says what they want to say and people believe what they want to believe. A private citizen like Stephanie de Lannoy can of course file a lawsuit, to deter, to threaten, or to teach the press a lesson. I did not say that she does not have the right to do so. If she deems that her privacy has been breached, then she can file a lawsuit against them. My question is: would you really want to do that? You would absolutely draw more attention to yourself by lowering yourself down to their level. If I am Stephanie, instead of wasting my time and resources filing lawsuits and backlogging the already backlogged French judicial system, I would rather spend my time and resources on helping those who are actually in need.

I understand that some people on this thread are frustrated on why the press cannot seem to understand that everybody (even the rich and the famous) all have a right to privacy. In my point of view, however, questioning why the press acts this way over and over and over again, will not get you anywhere at all. Why??? Because that is simply how the world goes (however immoral that may sound). It is not that the press CANNOT seem to understand. It is more because the press DO NOT WANT to understand. The press will continue to take pictures and publish news about the rich and the famous because of the money that comes with it. Therefore, instead of getting frustrated about the actions of the press, what we should do is to ask ourselves: How do we best deal with it??? The way we deal with it vary in different cases. There is no one best way. Stephanie de Lannoy seemed to deal with it by filing a lawsuit. If this is true, I think she did a grave mistake because her case is weak to begin with. PdV did NOT write anything bad/ libelous about her, let alone judge her character as a person. PdV simply posted pictures of her, wrote something about her family and academic background, and gave an assumption that Guillame and her might finally get married some time next year. Nothing more, nothing less. Some would argue that PdV still violated her right to privacy and that she did the right thing by suing them. In cases such as this, however, what the courts would do is to determine whether a significant amount of "harm" was done on her part (which I don't think there has been). I am not a lawyer, but I have a degree in Legal Studies and Political Science and I am presently planning to attend a law school in the US or Canada, that is why I kind of know something about cases such as this.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Yes and no.

Some understand the right to privacy and some (in this very thread) don't.

You can pop over to the British threads at any time while people discuss whether or not people should be photographed while shopping (in a grocery store no less) or walking down the street. Even in the US a popular tabloid has a section called Stars are just like us and there are pictures of stars picking up their dry cleaning, playing with their kids in the park, or getting money out of the ATM machine.

I realize that Stephanie wasn't doing any of these things but hopefully you will get where I am coming from. My main point is that people think that because some people have a public face (i.e. royalty) that no aspect of their life is private. And my point is that if Stephanie is not with Guillame in public than she shouldn't be photographed.
I get your point and do agree with everything you said. I am not interested in daily life picture of Stéphanie or whoever is the girlfriend or HDG Guillaume and I certainly wouldn't agree if PdV bought some paparazzi pics. I just tried to explain what could happen in a french court hearing.

About the pics published by PdV, I believe there is a difference between pics taken by authorized photographs during a social event and meant to be sold to press agencies and pics taken by a private person for her private use and not mean to be spread outside her computer harddrive or her Facebook account. It seems PdV pics belonged to the first categories.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Caroline from Monaco filed a lawsuit to protect her privacy because some German newspapers took pictures of her without her consent and she won the case.
Here is some info:
ECHR Portal HTML View
After she won the case the press changed their attitude towards her and she could have some privacy while she was on vacation.I believe that sometimes you shouldn´t accept everything but fight for your rights while at other times it might be smarter to just ignore certain things.Stephanie certainly raised more attention by filing the lawsuit but if she felt uncomfortable with the article+pictures in PdV she has the right to sue them,we´ll see how it will turn out...
Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Commoner

Concerning caroline from monaco, if she had enough of the press, she can always sue the journalists of course...but as someone here already wrote, better to try to do some charity or to engage in some activity in favor of many people... Like charity for poor people, or sick , something with which she will use her fame in favor of everyone.
Well, people's rights must be respected.
I have the impression that royalties sometimes forget that there are other people who have rights too, they have the right to be informed about what is going on with her ( this is an argument in favor of the press), as she is famous...
In general they can take a picture of her when she is at a public place, however they need her authorization when she is in her house, or if they take a picture with only her on it ( this is according to private law rules in europe) so... She was on holiday, but if in a public place , at the beach for example, they seem to have the right to take a picture, it depends also on the circumstances... Also royalties have a different lifestyle, may be they can always ask the press first to ask them for permission before taking pictures...

My opinion is: Royalties must be careful where they are , with who they are because from the moment they are so famous, the press is anxious to take pictures and the people are curious to see the pictures...so they must have impeccable reputation and be very careful what they say and do ( in order to avoid scandals)...
I am a perfectionnist and i really believe in the need of good reputation for everyone...( especially for the people representing a country and also a myth, a fairy tale like pricesses,, princes...:)
there are so many responsibilities on their shoulders, i guess sometimes they just want to be left in peace far from the medias, just to live their royal life or normal life...
But this is not always possible...
I wish them happiness , to the non royalties i wish 10 times more happiness and true love...
I want to say sth important : Often people like royalties ( and in general people who are wealthy ) meet people interested in them only because they have money . This way they take from them the chance to find true love.
As christmas is close, i hope that many people will read this and will think about what is really important in life= love, happiness.
Of course in the christmas spirit, only good people are happy, bad people are never happy...
Those who lie, cheat, steal other people's money so on... They are never happy.
At christmas everyone can be with the one who is in her/his heart... Like in the song " all i want for christmas is you" the best give everyday (not only at christmas) is love... But not love of those who pretend to love( but love sb's money ) true love is only one it comes once in a lifetime and never again...
I wish everyone happy holidays, happiness and true love.

(edit-JessRulz)
Old 12-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Commoner

HI,
you have read about this stephanie,,, well, let me explain that GUILLAUME SAID THERE WAS A SPECIAL WOMAN IN HIS LIFE, BUT THE ROYAL COURT DID NOT COMMENT. THEY NEVER SAID HER NAME... THE NEWSPAPERS IN LUXEMBOURG WROTE THAT PROBABLY THIS IS STEPHANIE ( THEY SUPPOSE SO ) ...
IN CONCLUSION: DO NOT BELIEVE TO ALL YOU READ IN THE NEWSPAPERS...
HERE A LINK ABOUT STEPHANIE...
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblog...%A9phanie.html

TO BE HONEST IF I AM NOT ALLOWED TO SHARE THE GOSSIPS WITH YOU, I AM NOT SURE WHAT I WILL WRITE ABOUT...
WILL SOMEONE FROM THE OLD MEMBERS EXPLAIN ME THE RULES ABOUT WHAT WE CAN WRITE AND WHAT NOT? PLEASE ...

Hello,
concerning stephanie and guillaume
let me tell you the following: I read in the newspapers about this( they suppose it is her but no one says directly a name, so we can not believe at 100% ) also , when i wanted to send some information about guillaume to a few local newspapers, they did not publish it . Obviously they did not want to write about the private life of guillaume, however a few days later this information was published and i can tell you i do not believe the name is correct. If it was the grand ducal family would just confirm, but they refused to comment...

(edit-JessRulz)
Old 12-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Sounds like a couple of jilted high school mean girls gossiping.
I will wait for an official announcement from the Grand Ducal Palace.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Unless there is an announcement it's all idle gossip. Hopefully, Stephanie is the actual the right girl because if she isn't then she really does have the right to sue the press for invasion of her privacy. The court should say something too, if she isn't the girlfriend.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

If the rumours are true, it is a welcome development. It is refreshing to see Prince Guillaume in a relationship with an aristocrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I highly doubt that Stephanie de Lannoy or others who sue the press for violation of their privacy are 'playing the victim' or anything like that. They just want to protect their privacy, which is their good right by European law. For now it isn't clear IF she actually is the girlfriend or IF she is actually sueing PdV. But even if both if's are true she has every right to do so. Nothing is official yet, and until the actual engagement she is still a private citizen (and even after that she can take measures to protect her privacy as various royals have done/are doing). TBH compared to another royal girlfriend in Sweden I find her discretion quite redeeming.

If she actually ahs a relationship with Guillaume and she actually is suing PdV, I highly doubt that she will do it on her own, instead I would assume that she will have the full support of Guillaume and the Lux. court (which she probably needs as very few 27- y/o German philology masters can afford the kind of lawyers you need to hire to sue a publishing house. I highly doubt that it is some way to ´test´ her... these things happen in soap series but in real life most healthy relationships do not work that way, fortunately.

Re Sancia: The pictures seem the typical society wedding photos that PdV weekly publishes on the last pages, so I would assume that the magazine took the pictures there.
I fully agree with you.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Serene Highness

Some things are better left private.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Commoner

Why can't Guillaume seem to find a woman who is capable of handling the press with grace and poise like a true princess??? His ex-gf Pia Haraldsen welcomed the press with open arms and bathed in the spotlight like there was no tomorrow. On the other hand, his allegedly present gf Stephanie de Lannoy despised the press publishing pictures and news about her and is allegedly suing them. Talk about from one extreme to the other!

I sincerely hope that Guillaume would be able to find a better woman. One who is capable of handling the press with grace and poise, not someone who is such a show-off nor someone who is too sensitive.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Commoner

Where did you read that she is suing them ,because this is not what we know in luxembourg?
Can you give a quotation ?
One question too: Why are always other people sharing what they know about the question while i always see my information deleted? I know quite a lot... Well it is not in the press but what is in the press is not always true...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Commoner

About the lies for guillaume and stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pam View Post
unless there is an announcement it's all idle gossip. Hopefully, stephanie is the actual the right girl because if she isn't then she really does have the right to sue the press for invasion of her privacy. The court should say something too, if she isn't the girlfriend.

actually someone wrote she will sue the press...
I think it is not true at all that she is his future wife, the court did not comment at all.
They would confirm if it was true, why would not they?

(edit-JessRulz)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

This thread is now open once again. I would like to take this opportunity to remind members that information and claims must come from reputable sources. Unverifiable sources may be removed by the moderating team.

JessRulz
Lux. Forum Moderator
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Does anyone have any 'visions' as to who it might be? What traits his wife might have? On the prince William threads in other forums myself and other members had a ball about who he might marry and the traits his wife would have. Does anyone want to do the same here?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Commoner

That sounds fun AristoCAT!!! You can start a new thread for it and you can count me in! Also, what are the other forums where you have threads about Prince Guillaume??? I would like to visit those and read the contents of the threads myself. THANKS!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Talk of a Grand Ducal engagement seems to have died down. Has the local press even been able to find a picture of Guillaume and his supposed girlfriend together?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Aristocracy

There is picture of the so-called girlfriend Stephanie beside Felix at Xenia's wedding. However nothing with Guillaume or anything concrete connecting them. There was a rumour she was sueing, nothing came of that. That led to people saying they got the wrong girl, or that he was gay again.

I think they were trying to get a reaction one way or another with the story on Stephanie. The press keeps trying to provoke a response. However, Guillaume said he has found his love, not ready to be engaged, and won't reveal his love until the engagement announcement.

I think he is just sticking to his word.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Nobility

Totally out of subject, but I was wondering: should Felix wait to marry his girlfriend (or to be officially engaged) until Guillaume is? (Like Sweden for Victoria and Madeleine)? I know that Louis is married, but that was "an urgent case"... I was just wondering

Queen Mathilde
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_ View Post
Totally out of subject, but I was wondering: should Felix wait to marry his girlfriend (or to be officially engaged) until Guillaume is? (Like Sweden for Victoria and Madeleine)? I know that Louis is married, but that was "an urgent case"... I was just wondering
As far as I know,any sibling is free to marry before the eldest one.I think that Felix is just maybe not sure of his choice yet or something alike.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
As far as I know,any sibling is free to marry before the eldest one.I think that Felix is just maybe not sure of his choice yet or something alike.
Ok, thank you. :) I read that in Sweden there was a rule, and Madeleine couldn't be engaged before Victoria... But, no rule in Luxembourg :) , great!

Queen Mathilde
Closed Thread

Tags
hereditary grand duke guillaume, relationship, stephanie de lannoy