The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, she's still a private person and she could fell affected by the press. In France even public persons has right for their privacy. And Stephanie is just royal gf (if PdV has right) not fiancee or wife of prince. Seems to that she won't see her face around the press and IMO she has fully right. it can make some comments around her person, but it's her choice.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

Everyone has a right to privacy. However, when someone files a lawsuit against someone for violating their privacy, they draw even more attention to themself or the situation, even though this isn't their intent. I'm just making this as a general statement as I don't know if a lawsuit was filed by anyone as it relates to Stephanie.

Their intent is to be left alone and perhaps the threat of a lawsuit or filing a lawsuit is enough so that people or the press leave them alone. European laws on privacy is much stricter than it is in the United States.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Serene Highness

I think it would be logical to sue f the intent is to prevent pictures appearing in the press, especially if they don't intend to get married any time soon.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Commoner

In my point of view, it seems that Guillaume and his presumed girlfriend Stephanie, are not really working side-by-side as they are supposed to be. I assume that the prince have seriously thought about his decision to tell the press that he is in a relationship and I also assume that he knew well what the result would be: that the press would hunt for the young lady like a hungry pack of wolves. Guillaume is an intelligent man, he knew well the consequences of his actions, even if he did not tell who exactly she was. Sure enough, only a week after he released the information, pictures and news claiming that Stephanie de Lannoy, a 27 year old Belgian aristocrat, is his girlfriend. This shouldn't have surprised both the prince and the countess, unless they have UNDERESTIMATED the press. There are, however, rumours that Stephanie is presently suing the French mag who first released her pictures and the news, claiming that it breached her privacy. Yes, it did breached her privacy, but filing a lawsuit is probably the dumbest thing that she can ever do, because when you look at the bigger picture, it will all go back to Guillaume himself! He was the one who started it all by providing the press with some information! Suing the press is as good as suing the prince and only demonstrates to the world how self-centered she really is.

Sometimes, I can't help but think that Guillaume did this all on purpose to somehow test Stephanie. Afterall, if there is one aspect where she should really be able to prove herself, that is on how she portrays her public image and relationship with the media.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

I am wondering. Are the pictures published by PdV private pictures or pictures of Stéphanie taken in noble events (balls, dinners, weddings) and already published in magazines when she wasn't linked to HGD? I have seen public pictures of her with members of the grandducal family taken years ago. So maybe the pictures published by PdV had already been published by the magazine.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Commoner

If Stephanie de Lannoy did file a lawsuit against PdV, I think she is using the strategy of "Poor me! I have completely lost my privacy and my rights have been violated due to our relationship! If this relationship comes to an end, my future prospects are already ruined as well! Oh don't you feel sorry at all? Maybe it's about time that you propose and put a ring on my finger!" Hahaha!!!

She is overacting. Clearly, she wants to be portrayed as a VICTIM to acquire the sympathy of everyone, most especially Guillaume and the Grand Ducal Family. It's not like PdV wrote something bad about her, in fact, they even made her look like the perfect one for Guillaume: an aristocrat, has an undergraduate and a masters degree, speaks three languages and has good connections. Stephanie should even thank PdV. I sincerely hope that Guillaume is not supporting her decision to sue the French mag, because I would be greatly disappointed if he is. The press will say what they want to say. Like everyone of us, they have to make a living. What matters most is that you know who you are.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I highly doubt that Stephanie de Lannoy or others who sue the press for violation of their privacy are 'playing the victim' or anything like that. They just want to protect their privacy, which is their good right by European law. For now it isn't clear IF she actually is the girlfriend or IF she is actually sueing PdV. But even if both if's are true she has every right to do so. Nothing is official yet, and until the actual engagement she is still a private citizen (and even after that she can take measures to protect her privacy as various royals have done/are doing). TBH compared to another royal girlfriend in Sweden I find her discretion quite redeeming.

If she actually ahs a relationship with Guillaume and she actually is suing PdV, I highly doubt that she will do it on her own, instead I would assume that she will have the full support of Guillaume and the Lux. court (which she probably needs as very few 27- y/o German philology masters can afford the kind of lawyers you need to hire to sue a publishing house. I highly doubt that it is some way to ´test´ her... these things happen in soap series but in real life most healthy relationships do not work that way, fortunately.

Re Sancia: The pictures seem the typical society wedding photos that PdV weekly publishes on the last pages, so I would assume that the magazine took the pictures there.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Nobility

Luxembourg: Comtesse Stéphanie de Lannoy

some information about Stephanie de Lannoy
Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Re Sancia: The pictures seem the typical society wedding photos that PdV weekly publishes on the last pages, so I would assume that the magazine took the pictures there.
That could be a problem for Stéphanie de Lannoy in a court case. French law is thought to be very strict but the law itself says almost nothing whereas the jurisprudence is saying a lot. And the precedent cases of privacy violation stated 1) the plaintiff must explain why there is a privacy violation 2) there are cases in which the plaintiff who deliberately gave private informations about himself/herself or allowed pics of him/her to be taken and published didn't get damages because the court considered he paved the way of his private life being published in the medias. If Stéphanie de Lannoy's pictures are society pictures which have already been published and seen, a court could follow this kind of advice and dismiss the request.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I highly doubt that Stephanie de Lannoy or others who sue the press for violation of their privacy are 'playing the victim' or anything like that. They just want to protect their privacy, which is their good right by European law. For now it isn't clear IF she actually is the girlfriend or IF she is actually sueing PdV. But even if both if's are true she has every right to do so. Nothing is official yet, and until the actual engagement she is still a private citizen (and even after that she can take measures to protect her privacy as various royals have done/are doing). TBH compared to another royal girlfriend in Sweden I find her discretion quite redeeming.

If she actually ahs a relationship with Guillaume and she actually is suing PdV, I highly doubt that she will do it on her own, instead I would assume that she will have the full support of Guillaume and the Lux. court (which she probably needs as very few 27- y/o German philology masters can afford the kind of lawyers you need to hire to sue a publishing house. I highly doubt that it is some way to ´test´ her... these things happen in soap series but in real life most healthy relationships do not work that way, fortunately.

totally agree with Marengo

Stephanie has full rights to not to want see her face around the press and rumors about her love life. No matter that she is/or she's not Guillamune girlfriend.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Administrator

I have said this before in the British threads and other websites, so I will say it again here.

People need to understand and respect the right to privacy. Just because you are well known, a movie star, President of the US/France,or whatever...almost everyone (with the exception of those who film their day to day lives on reality shows) are entitled to some form of privacy. Even animals in the zoo have time off to eat, sleep and do whatever in private.

Why do people think because you are well known person, actor, dating someone who is famous...you don't have the same right? I just don't get this.

The main problem in my opinion is that people don't respect boundaries. We all think we have the right to know everything about everyone. All the time. And while as a royal watcher, I want to know certain things I don't think I have a right to know everything unless its someone breaking the law.

If Stephanie is his girlfriend, unless she is seen out publicly with Guillame...she has a right to live her life (whether its walking down the street, attending an event, or whatever) without someone throwing a camera in her face or taking a picture of her from across the street.abu

And frankly, I think if anyone would know if PdV is abusing her privacy, its Stephanie. What has she done that warrants pics of her in the paper?

And honestly, I totally disagree with the sentiment that the press will say what they want to say. If its false, its libel. Has anyone been paying attention to the inquiry in the UK regarding the Press? The phone hacking, and writing whatever you want regardless on how it will affect people in real life and their careers? That is a prime example when you let the press have free rein. Its all good when they are exposing government corruption or scandals but when its over who is dating who --- we have to know EVERYTHING about them. Its too much.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

Zonk, I think we all agree about the right to privacy. What I tried to explain is only that, if PdV published pictures of Stéphanie taken in a event when she allowed pictures of her to be taken, the fact these pictures were taken while she was ok with this may be a prove of privacy violation for a french court.
I understood she was complaining about the pictures. As the two pictures of her were taken during society events and were published into some magazines and on the web, a french court may rather think the privacy violation was to publish her name than re-publishing already published pictures of her. Most of us do agree about privacy violation but we must be aware of jurisprudence and precedent cases in the concerned countries.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Yes and no.

Some understand the right to privacy and some (in this very thread) don't.

You can pop over to the British threads at any time while people discuss whether or not people should be photographed while shopping (in a grocery store no less) or walking down the street. Even in the US a popular tabloid has a section called Stars are just like us and there are pictures of stars picking up their dry cleaning, playing with their kids in the park, or getting money out of the ATM machine.

I realize that Stephanie wasn't doing any of these things but hopefully you will get where I am coming from. My main point is that people think that because some people have a public face (i.e. royalty) that no aspect of their life is private. And my point is that if Stephanie is not with Guillame in public than she shouldn't be photographed.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Royal Highness

I think that pictures are not the problem until they are not private which PdV bought form 'someone'(but they seems to be already published in magazine). Problem is that they used them in this article which made Stephanie rumored gf and violated her privacy.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agami.pearl View Post
I think that pictures are not the problem until they are not private which PdV bought form 'someone'(but they seems to be already published in magazine). Problem is that they used them in this article which made Stephanie rumored gf and violated her privacy.
And there lies another problem IMO.

I assume the interest in a sighting of Guillaume's potential girlfriend is pretty high. So any press would pay a signifcant amount of money for it. Before William and Catherine married, I remember reading and/or hearing that the press would be like a 25K to 50K for a picture of something of either Catherine or the two of them (can't remember the specifics). But it wasn't sleazy. Just a sought out picture. Now if you are a so called friend of the couple do you sell them out?

If you happen to be at a party or something with a potential girlfriend (that you have no emotional connection with because she isn't YOUR friend), you take a picture and sell it? Do you feel bad because you potentially violated her privacy? Or do you do a nice little dance on the way to the bank to cash your 5K check? The most you might ever make in the shortest time EVER?

So do you become mad a PdV for buying the picture or the nameless person who sold it? I think in today's world so much money is thrown out for trivial things that sometimes we don't value or respect the right of privacy for others. Cause I am not going to lie...if I had the opportunity to take a picture of William and Catherine and make 50K.....I probably wouldn't do it...but it would be along pause. 50K!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Commoner

Re Marengo: People who sue the press for violation of their privacy all share a primary reason on why they sue, namely: because the press violated their right to privacy. On the other hand, however, they also have different secondary reasons for doing so. Unfortunately, lawyers will of course, not tell the court that their client is suing not only because his/ her right to privacy has been violated, but also because he/she sees this as an opportunity to seek for damages. You're right, it is still unclear whether Stephanie de Lannoy really is Guillaume's girlfriend and if she really is suing PdV, so all of these comments are only based on assumptions. If she apparently doesn't want to be in the spotlight, she should've told Guillaume NOT to mention anything to the press at all.

You might be right about Guillaume and the Grand Ducal Family supporting her on filing a lawsuit (if she really did). I, however, would be dismayed if they have supported her, because she is suing to protect her right to privacy as a PRIVATE CITIZEN of the state, NOT as a member of the Grand Ducal Family. Guillaume can of course, support her personally (if they really are in a relationship), but the Luxembourg Court should not waste its time and resources on her behalf, as she has absolutely nothing to do with them (officially, at least).

Yes, she might only be 27 with a Masters in German Philology, but we should also bear in mind that she came from one of the most illustrious aristocrat families of Belgium. Stephanie de Lannoy is a countess herself, hence, I believe that she can pull out more than enough resources to pay the best lawyers in Europe. Yes, you might be right that Guillaume is not testing her and will never test her because such things only happen in soap operas, but we also should not completely overrule the possibility of such a thing happening. Afterall, theirs is a relationship between a crown prince and a countess, not your average kind of relationship indeed.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Having a title and illustrious ancestors does not mean that you have a lot of cash to pay for expensive lawyers. Some families have just their titles, and with other families their wealth is tied up in property and art objects but cash can be tight.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab1968 View Post
It will not be a fairy tale wedding: Where is Cinderella? :(
People of high society are charming but it doesn't make me dream.

I also think that her face reminds me Pia Haraldsen (former girlfriend of Guillaume).

Does Stéphanie work?
Yeeeeeeeees!! I agree with you!! I hope a simple girl for Guillaume... but.. She´s the chosen.. I would like to see someone like Kate... or Maxima... this girl looks like a lot to Pia!!! aaarg!! as her sister!! like he`s never forget Pia....

I think if she becomes a princess should get used to the press, as a person of public interest, it works in the royalty`s world, because they want to know about her.. I think...
And here some pics very interesting.. lol
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dAbOedOyN6...topelement.jpg
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1058936912
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1104312364

as two drops of water... what do you think??
Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Aristocracy

Stephanie's family is very wealthy. PDV does not have photographers. The magazine purchases photos from the photo agencies.

Quote:

Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretoriana18 View Post
Yeeeeeeeees!! I agree with you!! I hope a simple girl for Guillaume... but.. She´s the chosen.. I would like to see someone like Kate... or Maxima... this girl looks like a lot to Pia!!! aaarg!! as her sister!! like he`s never forget Pia....

I think if she becomes a princess should get used to the press, as a person of public interest, it works in the royalty`s world, because they want to know about her.. I think...
And here some pics very interesting.. lol
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dAbOedOyN6...topelement.jpg
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1058936912
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1104312364

as two drops of water... what do you think??
i agree i would have like if he marry a orginal girl with no title, if he do marry her it will seems she was choose for him by families instead of him find other. jmo p.s she kind of remind me of paris hilton with the blonde hair i am not saying she is like her but just her face look kinda of i hope she is sweet and kind like him. anyway if this is what he want than i will more than happy to tune in another royal wedding , this will be my first royality with titles wedding.

Tags
hereditary grand duke guillaume, relationship, stephanie de lannoy