HGD Guillaume: Relationship Musings and Suggestions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, she's still a private person and she could fell affected by the press. In France even public persons has right for their privacy. And Stephanie is just royal gf (if PdV has right) not fiancee or wife of prince. Seems to that she won't see her face around the press and IMO she has fully right. it can make some comments around her person, but it's her choice.

Everyone has a right to privacy. However, when someone files a lawsuit against someone for violating their privacy, they draw even more attention to themself or the situation, even though this isn't their intent. I'm just making this as a general statement as I don't know if a lawsuit was filed by anyone as it relates to Stephanie.

Their intent is to be left alone and perhaps the threat of a lawsuit or filing a lawsuit is enough so that people or the press leave them alone. European laws on privacy is much stricter than it is in the United States.

I think it would be logical to sue f the intent is to prevent pictures appearing in the press, especially if they don't intend to get married any time soon.

In my point of view, it seems that Guillaume and his presumed girlfriend Stephanie, are not really working side-by-side as they are supposed to be. I assume that the prince have seriously thought about his decision to tell the press that he is in a relationship and I also assume that he knew well what the result would be: that the press would hunt for the young lady like a hungry pack of wolves. Guillaume is an intelligent man, he knew well the consequences of his actions, even if he did not tell who exactly she was. Sure enough, only a week after he released the information, pictures and news claiming that Stephanie de Lannoy, a 27 year old Belgian aristocrat, is his girlfriend. This shouldn't have surprised both the prince and the countess, unless they have UNDERESTIMATED the press. There are, however, rumours that Stephanie is presently suing the French mag who first released her pictures and the news, claiming that it breached her privacy. Yes, it did breached her privacy, but filing a lawsuit is probably the dumbest thing that she can ever do, because when you look at the bigger picture, it will all go back to Guillaume himself! He was the one who started it all by providing the press with some information! Suing the press is as good as suing the prince and only demonstrates to the world how self-centered she really is.

Sometimes, I can't help but think that Guillaume did this all on purpose to somehow test Stephanie. Afterall, if there is one aspect where she should really be able to prove herself, that is on how she portrays her public image and relationship with the media.

I am wondering. Are the pictures published by PdV private pictures or pictures of Stéphanie taken in noble events (balls, dinners, weddings) and already published in magazines when she wasn't linked to HGD? I have seen public pictures of her with members of the grandducal family taken years ago. So maybe the pictures published by PdV had already been published by the magazine.

If Stephanie de Lannoy did file a lawsuit against PdV, I think she is using the strategy of "Poor me! I have completely lost my privacy and my rights have been violated due to our relationship! If this relationship comes to an end, my future prospects are already ruined as well! Oh don't you feel sorry at all? Maybe it's about time that you propose and put a ring on my finger!" Hahaha!!!

She is overacting. Clearly, she wants to be portrayed as a VICTIM to acquire the sympathy of everyone, most especially Guillaume and the Grand Ducal Family. It's not like PdV wrote something bad about her, in fact, they even made her look like the perfect one for Guillaume: an aristocrat, has an undergraduate and a masters degree, speaks three languages and has good connections. Stephanie should even thank PdV. I sincerely hope that Guillaume is not supporting her decision to sue the French mag, because I would be greatly disappointed if he is. The press will say what they want to say. Like everyone of us, they have to make a living. What matters most is that you know who you are.

I highly doubt that Stephanie de Lannoy or others who sue the press for violation of their privacy are 'playing the victim' or anything like that. They just want to protect their privacy, which is their good right by European law. For now it isn't clear IF she actually is the girlfriend or IF she is actually sueing PdV. But even if both if's are true she has every right to do so. Nothing is official yet, and until the actual engagement she is still a private citizen (and even after that she can take measures to protect her privacy as various royals have done/are doing). TBH compared to another royal girlfriend in Sweden I find her discretion quite redeeming.

If she actually ahs a relationship with Guillaume and she actually is suing PdV, I highly doubt that she will do it on her own, instead I would assume that she will have the full support of Guillaume and the Lux. court (which she probably needs as very few 27- y/o German philology masters can afford the kind of lawyers you need to hire to sue a publishing house. I highly doubt that it is some way to ´test´ her... these things happen in soap series but in real life most healthy relationships do not work that way, fortunately.

Re Sancia: The pictures seem the typical society wedding photos that PdV weekly publishes on the last pages, so I would assume that the magazine took the pictures there.

Last edited:
Re Sancia: The pictures seem the typical society wedding photos that PdV weekly publishes on the last pages, so I would assume that the magazine took the pictures there.

That could be a problem for Stéphanie de Lannoy in a court case. French law is thought to be very strict but the law itself says almost nothing whereas the jurisprudence is saying a lot. And the precedent cases of privacy violation stated 1) the plaintiff must explain why there is a privacy violation 2) there are cases in which the plaintiff who deliberately gave private informations about himself/herself or allowed pics of him/her to be taken and published didn't get damages because the court considered he paved the way of his private life being published in the medias. If Stéphanie de Lannoy's pictures are society pictures which have already been published and seen, a court could follow this kind of advice and dismiss the request.

I highly doubt that Stephanie de Lannoy or others who sue the press for violation of their privacy are 'playing the victim' or anything like that. They just want to protect their privacy, which is their good right by European law. For now it isn't clear IF she actually is the girlfriend or IF she is actually sueing PdV. But even if both if's are true she has every right to do so. Nothing is official yet, and until the actual engagement she is still a private citizen (and even after that she can take measures to protect her privacy as various royals have done/are doing). TBH compared to another royal girlfriend in Sweden I find her discretion quite redeeming.

If she actually ahs a relationship with Guillaume and she actually is suing PdV, I highly doubt that she will do it on her own, instead I would assume that she will have the full support of Guillaume and the Lux. court (which she probably needs as very few 27- y/o German philology masters can afford the kind of lawyers you need to hire to sue a publishing house. I highly doubt that it is some way to ´test´ her... these things happen in soap series but in real life most healthy relationships do not work that way, fortunately.

totally agree with Marengo

Stephanie has full rights to not to want see her face around the press and rumors about her love life. No matter that she is/or she's not Guillamune girlfriend.

I have said this before in the British threads and other websites, so I will say it again here.

People need to understand and respect the right to privacy. Just because you are well known, a movie star, President of the US/France,or whatever...almost everyone (with the exception of those who film their day to day lives on reality shows) are entitled to some form of privacy. Even animals in the zoo have time off to eat, sleep and do whatever in private.

Why do people think because you are well known person, actor, dating someone who is famous...you don't have the same right? I just don't get this.

The main problem in my opinion is that people don't respect boundaries. We all think we have the right to know everything about everyone. All the time. And while as a royal watcher, I want to know certain things I don't think I have a right to know everything unless its someone breaking the law.

If Stephanie is his girlfriend, unless she is seen out publicly with Guillame...she has a right to live her life (whether its walking down the street, attending an event, or whatever) without someone throwing a camera in her face or taking a picture of her from across the street.abu

And frankly, I think if anyone would know if PdV is abusing her privacy, its Stephanie. What has she done that warrants pics of her in the paper?

And honestly, I totally disagree with the sentiment that the press will say what they want to say. If its false, its libel. Has anyone been paying attention to the inquiry in the UK regarding the Press? The phone hacking, and writing whatever you want regardless on how it will affect people in real life and their careers? That is a prime example when you let the press have free rein. Its all good when they are exposing government corruption or scandals but when its over who is dating who --- we have to know EVERYTHING about them. Its too much.

Last edited:
Zonk, I think we all agree about the right to privacy. What I tried to explain is only that, if PdV published pictures of Stéphanie taken in a event when she allowed pictures of her to be taken, the fact these pictures were taken while she was ok with this may be a prove of privacy violation for a french court.
I understood she was complaining about the pictures. As the two pictures of her were taken during society events and were published into some magazines and on the web, a french court may rather think the privacy violation was to publish her name than re-publishing already published pictures of her. Most of us do agree about privacy violation but we must be aware of jurisprudence and precedent cases in the concerned countries.

Yes and no.

Some understand the right to privacy and some (in this very thread) don't.

You can pop over to the British threads at any time while people discuss whether or not people should be photographed while shopping (in a grocery store no less) or walking down the street. Even in the US a popular tabloid has a section called Stars are just like us and there are pictures of stars picking up their dry cleaning, playing with their kids in the park, or getting money out of the ATM machine.

I realize that Stephanie wasn't doing any of these things but hopefully you will get where I am coming from. My main point is that people think that because some people have a public face (i.e. royalty) that no aspect of their life is private. And my point is that if Stephanie is not with Guillame in public than she shouldn't be photographed.

I think that pictures are not the problem until they are not private which PdV bought form 'someone'(but they seems to be already published in magazine). Problem is that they used them in this article which made Stephanie rumored gf and violated her privacy.

I think that pictures are not the problem until they are not private which PdV bought form 'someone'(but they seems to be already published in magazine). Problem is that they used them in this article which made Stephanie rumored gf and violated her privacy.

And there lies another problem IMO.

I assume the interest in a sighting of Guillaume's potential girlfriend is pretty high. So any press would pay a signifcant amount of money for it. Before William and Catherine married, I remember reading and/or hearing that the press would be like a 25K to 50K for a picture of something of either Catherine or the two of them (can't remember the specifics). But it wasn't sleazy. Just a sought out picture. Now if you are a so called friend of the couple do you sell them out?

If you happen to be at a party or something with a potential girlfriend (that you have no emotional connection with because she isn't YOUR friend), you take a picture and sell it? Do you feel bad because you potentially violated her privacy? Or do you do a nice little dance on the way to the bank to cash your 5K check? The most you might ever make in the shortest time EVER?

So do you become mad a PdV for buying the picture or the nameless person who sold it? I think in today's world so much money is thrown out for trivial things that sometimes we don't value or respect the right of privacy for others. Cause I am not going to lie...if I had the opportunity to take a picture of William and Catherine and make 50K.....I probably wouldn't do it...but it would be along pause. 50K!

Re Marengo: People who sue the press for violation of their privacy all share a primary reason on why they sue, namely: because the press violated their right to privacy. On the other hand, however, they also have different secondary reasons for doing so. Unfortunately, lawyers will of course, not tell the court that their client is suing not only because his/ her right to privacy has been violated, but also because he/she sees this as an opportunity to seek for damages. You're right, it is still unclear whether Stephanie de Lannoy really is Guillaume's girlfriend and if she really is suing PdV, so all of these comments are only based on assumptions. If she apparently doesn't want to be in the spotlight, she should've told Guillaume NOT to mention anything to the press at all.

You might be right about Guillaume and the Grand Ducal Family supporting her on filing a lawsuit (if she really did). I, however, would be dismayed if they have supported her, because she is suing to protect her right to privacy as a PRIVATE CITIZEN of the state, NOT as a member of the Grand Ducal Family. Guillaume can of course, support her personally (if they really are in a relationship), but the Luxembourg Court should not waste its time and resources on her behalf, as she has absolutely nothing to do with them (officially, at least).

Yes, she might only be 27 with a Masters in German Philology, but we should also bear in mind that she came from one of the most illustrious aristocrat families of Belgium. Stephanie de Lannoy is a countess herself, hence, I believe that she can pull out more than enough resources to pay the best lawyers in Europe. Yes, you might be right that Guillaume is not testing her and will never test her because such things only happen in soap operas, but we also should not completely overrule the possibility of such a thing happening. Afterall, theirs is a relationship between a crown prince and a countess, not your average kind of relationship indeed. ;););)

^^^^
Having a title and illustrious ancestors does not mean that you have a lot of cash to pay for expensive lawyers. Some families have just their titles, and with other families their wealth is tied up in property and art objects but cash can be tight.

It will not be a fairy tale wedding: Where is Cinderella? :(
People of high society are charming but it doesn't make me dream.

I also think that her face reminds me Pia Haraldsen (former girlfriend of Guillaume).

Does Stéphanie work?

Yeeeeeeeees!! I agree with you!! I hope a simple girl for Guillaume... but.. She´s the chosen.. I would like to see someone like Kate... or Maxima... this girl looks like a lot to Pia!!! aaarg!! as her sister!! like he`s never forget Pia....

I think if she becomes a princess should get used to the press, as a person of public interest, it works in the royalty`s world, because they want to know about her.. I think...
And here some pics very interesting.. lol
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dAbOedOyN6o/TszMhQNE0UI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/n1X67fj8Ey0/s1600/topelement.jpg
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12004&d=1058936912
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72514&d=1104312364

as two drops of water... what do you think??

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephanie's family is very wealthy. PDV does not have photographers. The magazine purchases photos from the photo agencies.

Yeeeeeeeees!! I agree with you!! I hope a simple girl for Guillaume... but.. She´s the chosen.. I would like to see someone like Kate... or Maxima... this girl looks like a lot to Pia!!! aaarg!! as her sister!! like he`s never forget Pia....

I think if she becomes a princess should get used to the press, as a person of public interest, it works in the royalty`s world, because they want to know about her.. I think...
And here some pics very interesting.. lol
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dAbOedOyN6o/TszMhQNE0UI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/n1X67fj8Ey0/s1600/topelement.jpg
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12004&d=1058936912
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72514&d=1104312364

as two drops of water... what do you think??
i agree i would have like if he marry a orginal girl with no title, if he do marry her it will seems she was choose for him by families instead of him find other. jmo p.s she kind of remind me of paris hilton with the blonde hair i am not saying she is like her but just her face look kinda of i hope she is sweet and kind like him. anyway if this is what he want than i will more than happy to tune in another royal wedding , this will be my first royality with titles wedding.:flowers:

Last edited:
I want to make it clear that I fully understand and appreciate the right to privacy. When I said that the press is going to say what they want to say, I was not, by all means siding them. I only wanted to emphasize the truth. In an IDEAL WORLD, we respect the right of the press to carry-out their job, while the press respect our right to privacy. We try to find a balance between the two. In the REAL WORLD, however, the press says what they want to say and people believe what they want to believe. A private citizen like Stephanie de Lannoy can of course file a lawsuit, to deter, to threaten, or to teach the press a lesson. I did not say that she does not have the right to do so. If she deems that her privacy has been breached, then she can file a lawsuit against them. My question is: would you really want to do that? You would absolutely draw more attention to yourself by lowering yourself down to their level. If I am Stephanie, instead of wasting my time and resources filing lawsuits and backlogging the already backlogged French judicial system, I would rather spend my time and resources on helping those who are actually in need.

I understand that some people on this thread are frustrated on why the press cannot seem to understand that everybody (even the rich and the famous) all have a right to privacy. In my point of view, however, questioning why the press acts this way over and over and over again, will not get you anywhere at all. Why??? Because that is simply how the world goes (however immoral that may sound). It is not that the press CANNOT seem to understand. It is more because the press DO NOT WANT to understand. The press will continue to take pictures and publish news about the rich and the famous because of the money that comes with it. Therefore, instead of getting frustrated about the actions of the press, what we should do is to ask ourselves: How do we best deal with it??? The way we deal with it vary in different cases. There is no one best way. Stephanie de Lannoy seemed to deal with it by filing a lawsuit. If this is true, I think she did a grave mistake because her case is weak to begin with. PdV did NOT write anything bad/ libelous about her, let alone judge her character as a person. PdV simply posted pictures of her, wrote something about her family and academic background, and gave an assumption that Guillame and her might finally get married some time next year. Nothing more, nothing less. Some would argue that PdV still violated her right to privacy and that she did the right thing by suing them. In cases such as this, however, what the courts would do is to determine whether a significant amount of "harm" was done on her part (which I don't think there has been). I am not a lawyer, but I have a degree in Legal Studies and Political Science and I am presently planning to attend a law school in the US or Canada, that is why I kind of know something about cases such as this.

Yes and no.

Some understand the right to privacy and some (in this very thread) don't.

You can pop over to the British threads at any time while people discuss whether or not people should be photographed while shopping (in a grocery store no less) or walking down the street. Even in the US a popular tabloid has a section called Stars are just like us and there are pictures of stars picking up their dry cleaning, playing with their kids in the park, or getting money out of the ATM machine.

I realize that Stephanie wasn't doing any of these things but hopefully you will get where I am coming from. My main point is that people think that because some people have a public face (i.e. royalty) that no aspect of their life is private. And my point is that if Stephanie is not with Guillame in public than she shouldn't be photographed.

I get your point and do agree with everything you said. I am not interested in daily life picture of Stéphanie or whoever is the girlfriend or HDG Guillaume and I certainly wouldn't agree if PdV bought some paparazzi pics. I just tried to explain what could happen in a french court hearing.

About the pics published by PdV, I believe there is a difference between pics taken by authorized photographs during a social event and meant to be sold to press agencies and pics taken by a private person for her private use and not mean to be spread outside her computer harddrive or her Facebook account. It seems PdV pics belonged to the first categories.

Princess Caroline from Monaco filed a lawsuit to protect her privacy because some German newspapers took pictures of her without her consent and she won the case.
Here is some info:
ECHR Portal HTML View
After she won the case the press changed their attitude towards her and she could have some privacy while she was on vacation.I believe that sometimes you shouldn´t accept everything but fight for your rights while at other times it might be smarter to just ignore certain things.Stephanie certainly raised more attention by filing the lawsuit but if she felt uncomfortable with the article+pictures in PdV she has the right to sue them,we´ll see how it will turn out...

Concerning caroline from monaco, if she had enough of the press, she can always sue the journalists of course...but as someone here already wrote, better to try to do some charity or to engage in some activity in favor of many people... Like charity for poor people, or sick , something with which she will use her fame in favor of everyone.
Well, people's rights must be respected.
I have the impression that royalties sometimes forget that there are other people who have rights too, they have the right to be informed about what is going on with her ( this is an argument in favor of the press), as she is famous...
In general they can take a picture of her when she is at a public place, however they need her authorization when she is in her house, or if they take a picture with only her on it ( this is according to private law rules in europe) so... She was on holiday, but if in a public place , at the beach for example, they seem to have the right to take a picture, it depends also on the circumstances... Also royalties have a different lifestyle, may be they can always ask the press first to ask them for permission before taking pictures...

My opinion is: Royalties must be careful where they are , with who they are because from the moment they are so famous, the press is anxious to take pictures and the people are curious to see the pictures...so they must have impeccable reputation and be very careful what they say and do ( in order to avoid scandals)...
I am a perfectionnist and i really believe in the need of good reputation for everyone...( especially for the people representing a country and also a myth, a fairy tale like pricesses,, princes...:)
there are so many responsibilities on their shoulders, i guess sometimes they just want to be left in peace far from the medias, just to live their royal life or normal life...
But this is not always possible...
I wish them happiness , to the non royalties i wish 10 times more happiness and true love...
I want to say sth important : Often people like royalties ( and in general people who are wealthy ) meet people interested in them only because they have money . This way they take from them the chance to find true love.
As christmas is close, i hope that many people will read this and will think about what is really important in life= love, happiness.
Of course in the christmas spirit, only good people are happy, bad people are never happy...
Those who lie, cheat, steal other people's money so on... They are never happy.
At christmas everyone can be with the one who is in her/his heart... Like in the song " all i want for christmas is you" the best give everyday (not only at christmas) is love... But not love of those who pretend to love( but love sb's money ) true love is only one it comes once in a lifetime and never again...
I wish everyone happy holidays, happiness and true love.

(edit-JessRulz)

HI,
you have read about this stephanie,,, well, let me explain that GUILLAUME SAID THERE WAS A SPECIAL WOMAN IN HIS LIFE, BUT THE ROYAL COURT DID NOT COMMENT. THEY NEVER SAID HER NAME... THE NEWSPAPERS IN LUXEMBOURG WROTE THAT PROBABLY THIS IS STEPHANIE ( THEY SUPPOSE SO ) ...
IN CONCLUSION: DO NOT BELIEVE TO ALL YOU READ IN THE NEWSPAPERS...
HERE A LINK ABOUT STEPHANIE...
http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblognl_news_summary/2011/11/guillaume-in-love-with-st%C3%A9phanie.html

TO BE HONEST IF I AM NOT ALLOWED TO SHARE THE GOSSIPS WITH YOU, I AM NOT SURE WHAT I WILL WRITE ABOUT...
WILL SOMEONE FROM THE OLD MEMBERS EXPLAIN ME THE RULES ABOUT WHAT WE CAN WRITE AND WHAT NOT? PLEASE ...

Hello,
concerning stephanie and guillaume
let me tell you the following: I read in the newspapers about this( they suppose it is her but no one says directly a name, so we can not believe at 100% ) also , when i wanted to send some information about guillaume to a few local newspapers, they did not publish it . Obviously they did not want to write about the private life of guillaume, however a few days later this information was published and i can tell you i do not believe the name is correct. If it was the grand ducal family would just confirm, but they refused to comment...

(edit-JessRulz)

Last edited:
Sounds like a couple of jilted high school mean girls gossiping.
I will wait for an official announcement from the Grand Ducal Palace.

Unless there is an announcement it's all idle gossip. Hopefully, Stephanie is the actual the right girl because if she isn't then she really does have the right to sue the press for invasion of her privacy. The court should say something too, if she isn't the girlfriend.

Last edited:
If the rumours are true, it is a welcome development. It is refreshing to see Prince Guillaume in a relationship with an aristocrat.

I fully agree with you.

Last edited:
Why can't Guillaume seem to find a woman who is capable of handling the press with grace and poise like a true princess??? His ex-gf Pia Haraldsen welcomed the press with open arms and bathed in the spotlight like there was no tomorrow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: On the other hand, his allegedly present gf Stephanie de Lannoy despised the press publishing pictures and news about her and is allegedly suing them. :bang::bang::bang: Talk about from one extreme to the other! :eek::eek::eek:

I sincerely hope that Guillaume would be able to find a better woman. One who is capable of handling the press with grace and poise, not someone who is such a show-off nor someone who is too sensitive.
;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom