HGD Guillaume and HGD Stéphanie, Current Events Part 4: September 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure behind the scenes things are already in motion or at least in place as needed, to prepare the heir(s) whomever they are.

LaRae

I know and I'm sad for them :-(

It would be sad if they wanted to have kids and, for some reason , could not. However, we don't know if that is the case. Maybe there are just not interested in having children. Stéphanie actually mentioned she was not focusing on having a baby early in her marriage. Quite some time have passed since that interview, but maybe they are still comfortable with a childless marriage and have mutually agreed not to try to have a baby. That is a perfectly acceptable choice for a married couple and it is not sad if that is what they want.

Even if they never have a child there is no reason for Felix and Claire to be highlighted over Guillaume and Stephanie. They can still serve the people of Luxembourg well and leave their own mark on it.

If it become clear Felix then Amalia are Gui's heirs they will obviously start becoming more prepared but let's not skip over the HGD couple and what they are, should or will be doing in the future entirely.

But would it not be better if Felix and Claire would live in Luxemborgr so that Amalia can attend a school in Luxembourg when the times.

It would be sad if they wanted to have kids and, for some reason , could not. However, we don't know if that is the case. Maybe there are just not interested in having children. Stéphanie actually mentioned she was not focusing on having a baby early in her marriage. Quite some time have passed since that interview, but maybe they are still comfortable with a childless marriage and have mutually agreed not to try to have a baby. That is a perfectly acceptable choice for a married couple and it is not sad if that is what they want.

Actually as Catholics, and they appear (as a whole family) to be fairly Orthodox, it is very unlikely they don't want to have children.

If they were known to be more liberal/heterdox then I might agree with your comment.

LaRae

But would it not be better if Felix and Claire would live in Luxemborgr so that Amalia can attend a school in Luxembourg when the times.

I think it would be better, but probably because of the professional (or other) issues of Felix and Claire they may have decided not to live in Luxembourg.
Felix and Claire right now, apparently, live in Germany.
I believe that behind the scenes everything must be dealt with to prepare what will happen if Guillaume and Stephanie do not have children. Amalia will inherit the throne in this case, so her parents should move to Luxembourg as well.
I believe that in a few years' time, if Amalia is the successor, the royal house will take over without any problems, and she will start appearing more. Amalia is still only 5 years old and her father is still ahead of her in the line of succession. But again, everything must be planned.

Last edited:

Yes, I agree. I'm glad that the days have gone in most monarchies where there is a heavy pressure on the heirs to have their own heirs and that, despite being the future GDs of Luxembourg, they can still make their own choice. Some couples just don't want to have children and that's okay. Some do, and that's okay too.
As others have mentioned, Princess Amalia could be "trained" for a future role as Grand Duchess of Luxembourg if Stephanie and Guillaume won't have children so they don't have no other alternatives. I wasn't needed as an heir of course, but my mother was 40 when I was born and Lord Nicholas Windsor's wife has also just had her last child at 45, so it's possible that Guillaume and Stephanie could still have a child.

Last edited:
:previous: What if Felix and Claire would prefer more independent and private futures for their children? Isn't the choice of the HGD couple (if it IS a choice)encroaching on their right to prepare Amalia for the private and extremely wealthy life that is her right by birth?

As harsh as it sounds, a Royal Crown princely couple does not have the freedom
to choose to remain childless. That is completely contrary to the idea of hereditary monarchy...and it violates the vows this particular couple took at the altar before God, not incidentally.

In every pre-marital interview when the subject was broached, Guillaume gave every indication that he was enthusiastic about having a family.

If Stephanie felt differently, she should not have wed the Heir to the Throne.

All this is my opinion only IF the couple is in their situation by choice. If they are not, then it's of course very sad and they have my sympathy.:sad:

Last edited:
Actually as Catholics, and they appear (as a whole family) to be fairly Orthodox, it is very unlikely they don't want to have children.

If they were known to be more liberal/heterdox then I might agree with your comment.

LaRae
I agree with you. I really think they want to have children.

:previous: What if Felix and Claire would prefer more independent and private futures for their children? Isn't the choice of the HGD couple (if it IS a choice)encroaching on their right to prepare Amalia for the private and extremely wealthy life that is her right by birth?

to choose to remain childless. That is completely contrary to the idea of hereditary monarchy...and it violates the vows this particular couple took at the altar before God, not incidentally.

In every pre-marital interview when the subject was broached, Guillaume gave every indication that he was enthusiastic about having a family.

All this is my opinion only IF the couple is in their situation by choice. If they are not, then it's of course very sad and they have my sympathy.:sad:

Felix and Claire do not have much choice, their children are in the line of succession and so can inherit the throne. If they wanted to take their children out of line they had already done so. In this case it would be Princess Alexandra and her future sons who would be the future heirs of the throne.
I think if Guillaume and Stephanie have no children, Amalia will inherit the throne and Felix and Claire know it.

Last edited:

The couple have remarked in interviews on their plans to become parents.

First Interview with Guillaume and Stéphanie de Lannoy

You both come from families with lots of children. How do your future plans look like?

Stéphanie: Four, five children are a lot in today's world, to have eight children is very rare. But it was the wish of my parents and as the youngest child, I am, of course, very happy because otherwise I wouldn't have been born. Though to be honest, eight children is a bit much. Nevertheless I would like to keep the tradition up to have a family with many children.

Guillaume: It's a gain to grow up with many siblings. We don't have an exact idea how many children we would like. The future will show.

Would you like to have your own family in the near future?

Stéphanie: That's a good question. I suppose, it depends how you define "near future". Within the next three years, yes. It's not a priority but it is important to us.

Prince Félix continues to live and bring up his children in Germany, which could suggest that the Hereditary Grand Duke and Duchess not only wish to, but believe they will have children - as the other possibility is that Prince Félix and Princess Claire made the choice to raise a possible future Grand Duchess in a foreign country, which would be poor judgment, if true.

:previous:
But that is the only possibility if Guillaume and Stephanie have no children. The only solution if Felix and Claire and their children do not want to inherit the throne is to pass the throne to Princess Alexandra. But surely this issue has already been discussed in the family and they know what they are doing.

Prince Félix continues to live and bring up his children in Germany, which could suggest that the Hereditary Grand Duke and Duchess not only wish to, but believe they will have children - as the other possibility is that Prince Félix and Princess Claire made the choice to raise a possible future Grand Duchess in a foreign country, which would be poor judgment, if true.

This was kind of my point earlier. Because they don't (yet) have children and many/most people assume they are having difficulties, they're being very overlooked for their future roles and even whilst Henri and MT are still on the throne, people are panicking about Amalia's life.

If Amalia remains in her current position as heir of the next generation Felix and Claire still have time to decide to move to Lux within the next 10 years or so when things will be clearer and more plans put in place. Henri and MT and Guillaume and Stephanie could reign for another combined 50 years yet. The don't necessarily have to uproot their lives right now. Also just because they haven't rushed back to Luxembourg doesn't mean anything one way or the other about the reasons for a lack of G and S baby.

This was kind of my point earlier. Because they don't (yet) have children and many/most people assume they are having difficulties, they're being very overlooked for their future roles and even whilst Henri and MT are still on the throne, people are panicking about Amalia's life.

If Amalia remains in her current position as heir of the next generation Felix and Claire still have time to decide to move to Lux within the next 10 years or so when things will be clearer and more plans put in place. Henri and MT and Guillaume and Stephanie could reign for another combined 50 years yet. The don't necessarily have to uproot their lives right now. Also just because they haven't rushed back to Luxembourg doesn't mean anything one way or the other about the reasons for a lack of G and S baby.

Yes, you are right. I commented under the possibly wrong assumption that the choice to live abroad was permanent, which it indeed may not be.

If Princess Amalia remains in her current position, then "within the next 10 years" is in my opinion the suitable timeframe; to only move to Luxembourg on acceding to the throne was allowable in 1890 but would not be appropriate today. Her role in Luxembourg would not need to overshadow that of her uncle, but would correspond to Guillaume's own public role during the reign of his father.

Blog Real summed up what I meant or at least was trying to say perfectly:

Felix and Claire do not have much choice, their children are in the line of succession and so can inherit the throne. If they wanted to take their children out of line they had already done so. In this case it would be Princess Alexandra and her future sons who would be the future heirs of the throne.
I think if Guillaume and Stephanie have no children, Amalia will inherit the throne and Felix and Claire know it.

Yes, I was talking more from a social construct. It isn't as pressuring as that monarchs in historical times would literally divorce their wives if they didn't provide an heir. Now it doesn't seem to matter so much, as no such problem has happened with Guillaume and Stephanie because we don't live in Tudor England anymore (thank goodness!) - even if there may be an underlying need for a successor, it's not a constitutional crisis.

In her 7 years in the Grand Ducal Family, Stéphanie has since lost family members and this might have took a toll on her. It can be a matter of preference too.

Whatever it is, I find Félix and Claire capable too. Félix has the charisma and Claire is very much accomplished but doesn't boast. If they feel indifferent about their children being third and fourth in line to the succession, they would have decided it out a long time ago.

You cannot force Guillame and Stéphanie to have kids. If they saw it as a responsibility at an interview, they would have done it amidst all possible distractions. In fact, preference can change too. I don't think MT has never reprimanded them or so.

Last edited:
I think the HGD couple were quite clear in their desire for children. As Stephanie said, perhaps not eight as she was the eighth nor maybe even five as in the GD family.

But they were clear that children were part of their plan, accepting that as HGD couple it is their duty to secure the succession.

I did wonder when it was arranged for them to move to the UK if perhaps it was a way of trying to take the pressure off them, to live a less public life and allow them space in the hope it would help. I would think I am not the only one who prays they get the child they want without undue pressure about the child they need!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think they want desperately children and I really hope they will be blessed one day ! It must be horrible to know that a whole nation is waiting for good news too !

Her Mother had 8 Children. We never heard about miscariages as for Queen Fabiola.
Let us wait .
No family Pictures this Summer ??

I think they want to have children. Stephanie is 35, no longer many years old to be a mother. In a few years, if they have no children in the meantime, the royal house should give an explanation and say what will happen.

I think they want to have children. Stephanie is 35, no longer many years old to be a mother. In a few years, if they have no children in the meantime, the royal house should give an explanation and say what will happen.
I don’t think the court should give any explanation. The line of succession is clear. If Felix and his family move to Luxembourg or his family/Amalia appears more, that's confirmation enough. Did Belgium's royal house explain what would happen after it was clear Baudouin and Fabiola couldn't have children? I don't remember Japan formally explaining anything even after Hisahito was born. The situation is obvious.

I don’t think the court should give any explanation. The line of succession is clear. If Felix and his family move to Luxembourg or his family/Amalia appears more, that's confirmation enough. Did Belgium's royal house explain what would happen after it was clear Baudouin and Fabiola couldn't have children? I don't remember Japan formally explaining anything even after Hisahito was born. The situation is obvious.

Yes it is true, they may not explain anything. Right now, attention is focused on Guillaume because he is the successor. Then everything will happen normally. Over time things will become clearer and we will know what will happen.

I wish really that the couple Guillaume and Stéphanie will have soon a baby...

I believe Philippe was clearly raised as the heir to the throne in Belgium (as Albert was largely expected to renounce his place in the line of succession in favor of his son and the only reason he did not do that was King Baudouin's premature demise). Besides, when it was speculated that Philippe himself would never get married and have children of his own, I understand Amedeo was already being groomed by his parents as a potential heir in waiting.

The fact that Felix and Amalia are living outside Luxembourg and maintaining a low profile is probably deferential to Guillaume and Stéphanie, but that can't go on much longer as the probability of Guillaume producing an heir diminishes. As Stéphanie is only 35, unless there are some other facts we don't know, they might think it is a bit premature for Felix's family to step up their role .

Last edited:
I am curious, how is the Luxembourg media looking at both Guillame and Stéphanie regarding this issue?

I have heard and read from other boards and from residents of the Grand Duchy that the respectable mainstream media in Luxembourg is very respectful of the Royal Family. The "rags" not so much, where the question of the Hereditary Couple's private life is par for the course. And not only the Hereditary couple...the state of the marriage of Henri and MT, alleged love children and past illicit affairs of one of the Princes, illegitimate children for Alexandra(there are at least a dozen!:lol:)

But the mainstream media in Luxembourg is another story. They are not nearly as deferential as Monaco Matin is with the Grimaldi, but you will find no dirt or gossip.

As much as this is of interest to the people of Luxembourg; in the first place this is a private matter for the couple. The succession is secure; them becoming parents not so much.

I don't see a reason for the couple to feel pressured to have children, at least not as far as the succession is concerned since, as mentioned, the succession is secure. There could be pressure, however, from their family (not directly related to the succession per se) as that happens sometimes in some families (incidentally, it happened in my own family).

I don't see a reason for the couple to feel pressured to have children, at least not as far as the succession is concerned since, as mentioned, the succession is secure. There could be pressure, however, from their family (not directly related to the succession per se) as that happens sometimes in some families (incidentally, it happened in my own family).

And happy to reiterate that I fully agree that 'succession' should not be perceived as added pressure as the line of succession is secure; although they themselves might want to continue that 'line' if possible.

What about the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg? The agenda is empty. Guillaume and Stephanie have not appeared and the other members of the royal family have not appeared either.
The Grand Dukes Heirs have not appeared since June.
The duration of Guillaume's program was about a year (September - July), I wonder whether they moved back to Luxembourg or are staying around in London for a little while longer. I don't believe it has been announced that they moved back? Should we expect one or would the court take that for granted.

The fact is that if the HGD couple remain childless, the Line of Succession will not be extinct

Back
Top Bottom