The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this seems to be a temporary move for the duration of the course. As the future grand duke and grand duchess hey would need a really good reason to stay longer than a year.

I assume the returning to Luxemhourg will be for the major events but the jumber of work visits will be ver limite I assume. Guillaume will have to concentrate on his studies.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

How long has Stephanie been interested in art history?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I ask: who will replace Guillaume and Stéphanie while they are in London?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Courtier

This is kinda out of the blue imo.

I'm not saying that just because they are heirs they shouldn't pursue their interests. But after 6 years of marriage and many more years out of school, they just decide to move to another country (albeit not for more than a couple years) to study a bit more? I know Luxembourg is a very small country and they don't have a very busy working schedule, but still... it's a bit odd. Especially when Felix and Claire and their two young children live in another country as well, Louis is no longer in line of succession, and Sebastien is also living in a foreign country? Maybe there's more reasoning that we are not aware of...

Is there any other royal in a similar situation?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 PM
Commoner

did Mette Marit lived in New York for a while? or was it London? (wasnt following royals at that time)

Wasn't there a gossip Felix and Claire would be living in Lux for a while?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not sure anyone needs to replace Guillaume and Stephanie. Flights from London to Luxembourg are short. They could try to arrange weekend appearances or Friday/Monday events for an extended weekend.

Henri and MT managed on their own before. Guillaume was in school (university?) when they succeeded in 2000.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Royal Highness

Maybe they want to visit some special doctors in London without public attention... If they will have babies in the near future...
Old 06-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
How long has Stephanie been interested in art history?
For quite some time it seems. She has always had an interest in the humanities and has been quite acyive in the cultural (including art) sector as a hereditary grand duchess. So, while her interest in art history certainly isn't the main reason for the move, it's great that she has a purpose of her own for their one year stay in London.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortimo View Post
Maybe they want to visit some special doctors in London without public attention... If they will have babies in the near future...
That also crossed my mind. It could be the primary reason and Guillaume's course a disguise or he was approached to study this course (as diplomatic channels are used to identify potential students) and they considered it good timing as Stephanie is well adjusted to her life in Luxembourg and known by its people - and they by now have come to terms with the reality that they unfortunately are unlikely to conceive, so unless a miracle happens it will be Felix' descendants who will be on the throne one day..
Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

HGD Couple at the opening of the double exhibition "BAD NEWS" and "ON THE OTHER END" by Let'z Arles on 6 July under the patronage of Stephanie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXvW0AIVvnA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXwX4AMSmaQ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXvW0AEbJSa.jpg
Old 07-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Commoner

Thank you!
I think this is the best outfit this year (for me)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

There really is no need to replace Gui and Stephanie, they don't do that many events now, they do a lot with H&MT than would just go on without them.

Maybe this was always part of their plan, get to know Lux well, do some duties then retire to another country to start a family.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
HGD Couple at the opening of the double exhibition "BAD NEWS" and "ON THE OTHER END" by Let'z Arles on 6 July under the patronage of Stephanie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXvW0AIVvnA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXwX4AMSmaQ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXvW0AEbJSa.jpg
Thanks eya!

A small gallery at Lët'z Arles Facebook post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
[...] Maybe this was always part of their plan, get to know Lux well, do some duties then retire to another country to start a family.
Huh? That doesn't make sense. Guillaume is the heir. Regardless of having children or not, I doubt Guillaume and Stephanie would leave Luxembourg longterm only to return when he succeeds. It's just 1 year and traveling between Luxembourg and London is short.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortimo View Post
This had crossed my mind as well.
The distance between Luxembourg and London is minimal. It's only 300 miles or so which just 50 miles farther than DC to NY. If our family lived that close, we would consider it local, especially with flights.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
There really is no need to replace Gui and Stephanie, they don't do that many events now, they do a lot with H&MT than would just go on without them.

Maybe this was always part of their plan, get to know Lux well, do some duties then retire to another country to start a family.
That's seems a very unfair assessment of the work Guillaume and Stephanie do. Over the last 12 months I count only 12 events all four of them attended - and I would expect several of these would be events that Guillaume en Stephanie will try to attend when living in London as well - such as New Year, the Octave and National Day; they might skip the garden parties or some audiences. There were 4 more events that either Henri + Guillaume (2), Maria Teresa + Stephanie (1) or MT + Guillaume (1) attended that could indeed go on without them rather easily.

However, I am not sure how they are going to replace the 8 foreign trips Guillaume (and Stephanie) made last year. Nor the 46 solo and joint engagements in Luxembourg.

The only family member that is more active than Guillaume is his father; his mother has fewer engagements and is probably on par with Stephanie.

The only anomaly I found was that they didn't have any engagements in the month of April, so either they took a long vacation or had other pressing issues to attend to.

Note: the official engagement count will be higher as I counted multiple engagements related to the same event only once. As especially foreign tours include many engagements, the current count of about 75% engagements by G, S or G+S and only 25% with H and/or MT is probably conservative.

P.S. It might have been the plan to attend this particular college for quite some time but I don't believe for a second that they have been purposefully postponing having children. They themselves said they were hoping for a large family, not starting immediately, but within 3 years (and as that is what they said publicly, I assume that was a rather generous timeline as they most likely didn't want people to start asking questions too soon). It's getting close to 6 years now...
Old 07-08-2018, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
This had crossed my mind as well.
The distance between Luxembourg and London is minimal. It's only 300 miles or so which just 50 miles farther than DC to NY. If our family lived that close, we would consider it local, especially with flights.
Americans indeed have very different perceptions of distance. From the Luxembourgian perspective, the heir will live in a different country (not even a neigboring country) and there is a sea in between. So, while they most likely wouldn't consider it 'far' and will easily come over if needed, they will definitely not think that they live local, as that would mean that most of Europe qualifies as 'local'. Instead, it is 'abroad'. Moreover, Guillaume is there to study so he can't just come and go as he pleases.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Here's the official entry about the couple's attendance at the double exhibition last week, including some more photos:

** monarchie.lu: Vernissage de la double exposition « BAD NEWS » et « ON THE OTHER END » de Lët’z Arles ** gallery **
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

HGD Couple attended the inauguration of the exhibition "From Portugal to Luxembourg", organized on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the marriage of Grand Duke Guillaume IV to the Grande -Duchesse Marie Anne on 9 July

Inauguration de l’exposition « Du Portugal au Luxembourg » - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Juillet 2018
Old 07-10-2018, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Here are some more photos of the exhibition opening yesterday:

** fb gallery 1 **

** journal.lu gallery: Von Portugal nach Luxemburg **

** fb gallery 2: VERNISSAGE "Du Portugal au Luxembourg" **
Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

More photos at Luxemburger Wort - Grão-duque herdeiro visitou exposição sobre trisavó portuguesa

Also on June 9th, the HGD couple attended Artists' Party at the MUDAM.

Big gallery at Artists' Party au Mudam | Paperjam News

https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...85600363257856

Tags
current events, guillaume, hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, hereditary grand duke guillaume, stephanie