The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2016, 01:30 AM
Courtier

The HGD couple had a third event on July 5th. In the evening, they attended an EMDR psychotherapy conference at the University of Luxembourg.

On July 6th, the HGD couple attended the 50th anniversary celebration of the Port of Mertert at the Philharmonie.

Lëtzebuerger Journal: Runder Geburtstag

Old 07-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'd rather say it's a blend of German and French. At least that's how it sounds - and if you look at Luxembourg's geographical situation it's quite logical. But it's a proper language in its own right of course.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Courtier

On July 8th, the HGD couple attended the inauguration of the new youth center Marienthal. In 1975, the state acquired the site and made it available to the National Youth Service in 1977. Marienthal has existed since 1231 and was designated a National Monument in 2002. Transformation and renovation of the center began in 2010.

Luxemburger Wort - 5-year renovation breathes new life into Luxembourg monastery

Luxemburger Wort - Le Grand-Duc héritier au "Centre de Jeunesse"

Luxemburger Wort - Erbgroßherzog Guillaume im "Centre de jeunesse"

RTL.lu - Lëtzebuerg - Neie Centre de jeunesse ageweit

Inauguration du Centre de jeunesse Marienthal - gouvernement.lu // L’actualité du gouvernement du Luxembourg
Old 07-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Are they going to Cracow too?

Grave of the Luxembourg's citizens killed in Lubiąż by Nazis (St. Valentine's church cemetery):

http://duw.pl/pl/biuro-prasowe/aktua...w-Lubiazu.html
Old 07-29-2016, 04:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Is there any video of the speech Stephanie made at the MUDAM event a few days ago? I'd love to see it.

Luxarazzi: Stéphanie and Guillaume Celebrate 10th Anniversary of MUDAM
Mudam Luxembourg added the ceremony to its YouTube channel a few days ago. Stéphanie's speech begins at 2:30.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 PM
Courtier

On September 13th, the HGD couple attended the academic session celebrating the 50th anniversary of the professional organization of independent winegrowers (OPVI).

50ème anniversaire de l’Organisation professionnelle des vignerons indépendants - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Septembre 2016
Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Courtier

On October 12th, the HGD couple visited Oberweis Confectionery, a supplier of the court.
Visite de la Confiserie Oberweis - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Octobre 2016

Accueil - Oberweis
Looks delicious!
Old 10-13-2016, 03:42 PM
Majesty

Didn't Oberweis produce TRH's gorgeous wedding cake?

I love that photo of Stephanie accepting flowers from that little girl, lovely.

BTW Prisma, thanks much for adding the video the speech that I asked for.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Mudam Luxembourg added the ceremony to its YouTube channel a few days ago. Stéphanie's speech begins at 2:30.
forgive me, but is it just French? or Just she speak Luxembourgish as well?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Majesty

French is HGD Stephanie's natal language, and she acquired fluency in the Luxembourgish dialect within about 18 months of her wedding.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Stéphanie is Belgian and she should have learned flemish at school. Luxembourgish language is not very far from it. Kudos to her but is not like if it was her first contact with these family of languages.
It was more difficult and amazing to Maxima to be fluent in Dutch or Mary / Marie to learn Danish
Old 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Stephanie stated in her engagement interview that she was finding the Luxembourgish dialect difficult to grasp despite her knowledge of French and German.

So I very much disagree with you that her ability to gain complete mastery of that language in a little over a year is not exceptional, especially as she was also dealing with the sudden and traumatic loss of her mother as well as acclimating herself to a new country and a new position on top of it all.

BTW...she might have been exposed to Flemish at school but she made it clear in the garden of Berg Castle on her engagement day that she was not fluent in it when she was asked directly by a reporter.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I did not day that it was not an achievement for her to learn quickly the language. But as already having good bases of Flemish and German language the gap is not enormous.
It is like learning Russian. It is less difficult to learn Russian when you already know Bulgarian and Serbian, than if you know only English.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Aristocracy

King Philippe of Belgium speaks 7 languages, one of which is Flemish. HGD Stephanie also speaks Russian. How many of you can say you do, too?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Majesty

Wow..I did not know that about Philippe, who has been dismissed on the Royalist message boards and in the media as kind of a dullard.

He is apparently much sharper than he has been given credit for, good for him.

As for Stephanie I know that she lived in Russia as a student but I have never been quite sure if she is fluent in that language of if she simply exposed well enough to pick up some words and phrases.

I have my reservations about some of her sartorial and grooming choices, but I agree that she is one of the brainiest of the current crop of young Royal females on the scene.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Majesty

in the official site of the monarchy, it mentions that stephanie speaks french, luxembourgish, german and english. i guess she may have some grasp of russian following her time studying in moscow (1 year).

i did however spot a mistake in her french speech when she said 'il faut palier a cela'. in fact, palier is used without the preposition a, but it is a common mistake you'd hear many (educated) people in france make. i guess that means that she crafts her speeches herself at least.

http://www.projet-voltaire.fr/blog/r...e-chose-%C2%BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Didn't Oberweis produce TRH's gorgeous wedding cake?
yes, i believe so. they generally produce all the cakes for the royal family.

some pictures of the wedding cake:

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/83598136806160715/
this site also compares the cake of guillaume and stephanie to william and kate's which was quite similar:
https://mysweetlawyer.files.wordpres...ng?w=980&h=414
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 PM
Majesty

Yes, the G/S official wedding cake was very similar to the W/K cake. Both were beautiful.

But I give the prize to the Cambridge cake, which was truly gorgeous and one of my favorite ever Royal wedding cakes.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

W&K's cake was a work of art. Just gorgeous!

LaRae
Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
forgive me, but is it just French? or Just she speak Luxembourgish as well?
According to the program, she gave the speech in French. I can't confirm as I don't know enough French. It doesn't sound like she switched languages.
Quote:
GRAND HALL
16H00-16H30
RÉCEPTION OFFICIELLE
Speeches (FR)
S.A.R. la Grande-Duchesse Héritière de Luxembourg, Présidente de la Fondation Musée d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean
M. Xavier Bettel, Premier ministre et Ministre de la Culture
M. Enrico Lunghi, directeur Mudam Luxembourg
MUDAM: 10 Years Mudam