HGD Guillaume and HGD Stéphanie, Current Events Part 4: September 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, this seems to be a temporary move for the duration of the course. As the future grand duke and grand duchess hey would need a really good reason to stay longer than a year.

I assume the returning to Luxemhourg will be for the major events but the jumber of work visits will be ver limite I assume. Guillaume will have to concentrate on his studies.

How long has Stephanie been interested in art history?

I ask: who will replace Guillaume and Stéphanie while they are in London?

This is kinda out of the blue imo.

I'm not saying that just because they are heirs they shouldn't pursue their interests. But after 6 years of marriage and many more years out of school, they just decide to move to another country (albeit not for more than a couple years) to study a bit more? I know Luxembourg is a very small country and they don't have a very busy working schedule, but still... it's a bit odd. Especially when Felix and Claire and their two young children live in another country as well, Louis is no longer in line of succession, and Sebastien is also living in a foreign country? Maybe there's more reasoning that we are not aware of...

Is there any other royal in a similar situation?

Last edited:
did Mette Marit lived in New York for a while? or was it London? (wasnt following royals at that time)

Wasn't there a gossip Felix and Claire would be living in Lux for a while?

I'm not sure anyone needs to replace Guillaume and Stephanie. Flights from London to Luxembourg are short. They could try to arrange weekend appearances or Friday/Monday events for an extended weekend.

Henri and MT managed on their own before. Guillaume was in school (university?) when they succeeded in 2000.

Maybe they want to visit some special doctors in London without public attention... If they will have babies in the near future...

How long has Stephanie been interested in art history?

For quite some time it seems. She has always had an interest in the humanities and has been quite acyive in the cultural (including art) sector as a hereditary grand duchess. So, while her interest in art history certainly isn't the main reason for the move, it's great that she has a purpose of her own for their one year stay in London.

Maybe they want to visit some special doctors in London without public attention... If they will have babies in the near future...

That also crossed my mind. It could be the primary reason and Guillaume's course a disguise or he was approached to study this course (as diplomatic channels are used to identify potential students) and they considered it good timing as Stephanie is well adjusted to her life in Luxembourg and known by its people - and they by now have come to terms with the reality that they unfortunately are unlikely to conceive, so unless a miracle happens it will be Felix' descendants who will be on the throne one day..

There really is no need to replace Gui and Stephanie, they don't do that many events now, they do a lot with H&MT than would just go on without them.

Maybe this was always part of their plan, get to know Lux well, do some duties then retire to another country to start a family.

HGD Couple at the opening of the double exhibition "BAD NEWS" and "ON THE OTHER END" by Let'z Arles on 6 July under the patronage of Stephanie

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXvW0AIVvnA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXwX4AMSmaQ.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhhGSXvW0AEbJSa.jpg
Thanks eya!

A small gallery at Lët'z Arles Facebook post.

[...] Maybe this was always part of their plan, get to know Lux well, do some duties then retire to another country to start a family.
Huh? That doesn't make sense. Guillaume is the heir. Regardless of having children or not, I doubt Guillaume and Stephanie would leave Luxembourg longterm only to return when he succeeds. It's just 1 year and traveling between Luxembourg and London is short.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya

This had crossed my mind as well.
The distance between Luxembourg and London is minimal. It's only 300 miles or so which just 50 miles farther than DC to NY. If our family lived that close, we would consider it local, especially with flights.

There really is no need to replace Gui and Stephanie, they don't do that many events now, they do a lot with H&MT than would just go on without them.

Maybe this was always part of their plan, get to know Lux well, do some duties then retire to another country to start a family.

That's seems a very unfair assessment of the work Guillaume and Stephanie do. Over the last 12 months I count only 12 events all four of them attended - and I would expect several of these would be events that Guillaume en Stephanie will try to attend when living in London as well - such as New Year, the Octave and National Day; they might skip the garden parties or some audiences. There were 4 more events that either Henri + Guillaume (2), Maria Teresa + Stephanie (1) or MT + Guillaume (1) attended that could indeed go on without them rather easily.

However, I am not sure how they are going to replace the 8 foreign trips Guillaume (and Stephanie) made last year. Nor the 46 solo and joint engagements in Luxembourg.

The only family member that is more active than Guillaume is his father; his mother has fewer engagements and is probably on par with Stephanie.

The only anomaly I found was that they didn't have any engagements in the month of April, so either they took a long vacation or had other pressing issues to attend to.

Note: the official engagement count will be higher as I counted multiple engagements related to the same event only once. As especially foreign tours include many engagements, the current count of about 75% engagements by G, S or G+S and only 25% with H and/or MT is probably conservative.

P.S. It might have been the plan to attend this particular college for quite some time but I don't believe for a second that they have been purposefully postponing having children. They themselves said they were hoping for a large family, not starting immediately, but within 3 years (and as that is what they said publicly, I assume that was a rather generous timeline as they most likely didn't want people to start asking questions too soon). It's getting close to 6 years now...

Last edited:
This had crossed my mind as well.
The distance between Luxembourg and London is minimal. It's only 300 miles or so which just 50 miles farther than DC to NY. If our family lived that close, we would consider it local, especially with flights.

Americans indeed have very different perceptions of distance. From the Luxembourgian perspective, the heir will live in a different country (not even a neigboring country) and there is a sea in between. So, while they most likely wouldn't consider it 'far' and will easily come over if needed, they will definitely not think that they live local, as that would mean that most of Europe qualifies as 'local'. Instead, it is 'abroad'. Moreover, Guillaume is there to study so he can't just come and go as he pleases.

have guillaume and stephanie relocated to london? i believe it was mentioned they would relocate in the autumn but they seem to still be performing activitis in luxembourg. do they go back and forth or have they not yet moved?

have guillaume and stephanie relocated to london? i believe it was mentioned they would relocate in the autumn but they seem to still be performing activitis in luxembourg. do they go back and forth or have they not yet moved?

Yes, they moved to London (a very clear sign is Guillaume's beardless appearance these months). However, as Luxembourg is close, it's not too hard for them to do an activity during a weekend (so far the museum night seems to be their only one and they had to return to Luxembourg to vote that same weekend, next to visiting a wedding elsewhere).

Last edited:

Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie attended the opening of the "Masters Hands, the Art of Crafts and the Arts in Luxembourg exhibition" this evening, November 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** monarchie.lu mixed gallery **

Last edited:
Was researching something and ran across this quote from their engagement interview:
Are you planning to start a family in the near future?

Stephanie: "Good question! It depends on what you consider to be the near future. If in two or three years, then yes. For the moment, however, is not a priority, although we're not ruling it out.

"I come from a large family of eight. If you think four or five children is a lot, just imagine imagine eight! It was my parents' choice, and being the youngest daughter, I couldn't be more happy with their decision. While eight children are perhaps too many, I'd like to maintain the spirit of a large family."

'I've found my Prince Charming': Luxembourg's bride on how she fell in love with her fiancé

Over 6 years ago, she is now 34...still young enough for children of course...but it is kinda concerning they still don't have any.

Is anything being said in Lux about this?

LaRae

Going on 35 in February.

I highly doubt they would reveal publicly eventual diagnosis.
I think something is "being said" but Stephanie doesn't live under so much a pression like, for example, Crown Princess Masako of Japan had to survive.

Going on 35 in February.

I highly doubt they would reveal publicly eventual diagnosis.
I think something is "being said" but Stephanie doesn't live under so much a pression like, for example, Crown Princess Masako of Japan had to survive.
It's a bit of a whatever to me. It's not as if their line depends on Guillaume.

Back
Top Bottom