Guillaume and Stéphanie: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

I read somewhere that Kate and William might attend, but cant remember where, just wondering if there was any truth to this:whistling:

From what I understand it would not happen - though its the Queen who decides who to send (my understanding). Since Guillaume is an heir, it would have to be Charles as the heir. I hope he attends - would love to see him and Camilla hob-nobbing with the continental royalty! :)

There isn't really a strict code that dictates only an Heir must attend another Heir's wedding. For instance, the Earl and Countess of Wessex (who could be considered somewhat minor royals on global scale) are the most common representatives of Her Majesty for foreign royal events, including weddings of heirs (such as Crown Princess Victoria's wedding). The Queen can choose anyone in her family to represent it, from Prince Charles and Prince William (with their respective wives) to Prince Michael of Kent and the Duke of Gloucester (again, with their spouses).

This said, I do agree it is unlikely William and Kate are going to be there.

Last edited:
Since Prince William and Catherine are closer in age to Guillaume and Stephanie, it would make more sense for him to attend the wedding rather than his father Prince Charles.

The discussion on this subject has already happened in the other thread. Prince William has never attended any weddings or christenings on the continental Europe as this role has been relegated to Count and Countess of Wessex. I doubt that Grand Ducal house cares about who will represent the House of Windsor.

Last edited:
There isn't really a strict code that dictates only an Heir must attend another Heir's wedding.

The only strict rule about who to send as representatives at events of other Royal Houses is that a sovereign never attends the coronation/enthronement/swearing-in of another monarch.

It's virtually assured that William and Kate won't be there, I personally think the Earl and Countess of Wessex are wonderful representatives and should get more attention for all the hard work they put in for the Queen at weddings and other overseas trips.

I honestly can't wait for the wedding :bounce:I think it's going to be a truly beautiful occasion.

The discussion on this subject has already happened in the other thread. Prince William has never attended any weddings or christenings on the continental Europe as this role has been relegated to Count and Countess of Wessex. I doubt that Grand Ducal house cares about who will represent the House of Windsor.

Since Prince William and Catherine are closer in age to Guillaume and Stephanie, it would make more sense for him to attend the wedding rather than his father Prince Charles.

I understand that Guillaume did not attend William's wedding, his parents did. So it's more likely that Charles will attend, if not the Wessex's.

The only strict rule about who to send as representatives at events of other Royal Houses is that a sovereign never attends the coronation/enthronement/swearing-in of another monarch.

Why is that?

It's virtually assured that William and Kate won't be there, I personally think the Earl and Countess of Wessex are wonderful representatives and should get more attention for all the hard work they put in for the Queen at weddings and other overseas trips.

I agree. I'd like to see both them and Charles and Camilla at the wedding.

I honestly can't wait for the wedding :bounce:I think it's going to be a truly beautiful occasion.

I'm with you. The last wedding of an heir for this generation - it will be lovely to watch.

(Hey, Stephanie, no pressure, girl!)

I have mixed feelings about the Cambridges in attendance at this wedding...on the one hand it will virtually assure that there is heightened international media focus on Luxembourg, which means there is a chance some cable channel here in the US will run live coverage.:p

BUT...I will be very upset if the media focus on the Cambridges overshadows the bridal couple and the other guests. Guillaume and Stephanie are a superb young Royal couple, and they should have center stage on their wedding day.

This wedding sounds like it is going to be simply magnificent...a High Mass in that gorgeous Cathedral, preceded by a Gala evening at the Ducal Palace that will feature most of the Gotha in tiaras, sashes, and white tie...hopefully. :whistling:

And I can't wait! :ROFLMAO:

Why is that?

I'm not sure, it just seems to have become a de facto tradition as no monarchs attended the Coronation of Elizabeth II or the enthronements of Beatrix or Carl XVI Gustav, for example.

BUT...I will be very upset if the media focus on the Cambridges overshadows the bridal couple and the other guests. Guillaume and Stephanie are a superb young Royal couple, and they should have center stage on their wedding day.

This wedding sounds like it is going to be simply magnificent...a High Mass in that gorgeous Cathedral, preceded by a Gala evening at the Ducal Palace that will feature most of the Gotha in tiaras, sashes, and white tie...hopefully. :whistling:

As much as I am slightly in love with the Duchess of Cambridge :wub: I couldn't agree with you more in that if the Cambridges do go (unlikely but stranger things have happened) it will overshadow the rest of the event, which looks like it's going to be amazing! Guillaume and Stephanie are my new favourite couple and I hope the spotlight will be firmly on them too!

Also, do the rest of the European Royal Houses attend Luxembourg's weddings en mass as they seem to do for Scandinavia? I hope so!

Luxembourg is a tiny country, but it seems their Royals have always been popular and highly respected by their peers in the Gotha. They are invariably on the guest list for high profile Royal events.

None other than Philip Duke of Edinburgh attended the wedding of Henri and Maria Teresa.

I expect the turnout for the wedding of their son and Heir to be huge. :whistling:

lucien said:
:luxstandard:
The Grand Ducal Court announced the following this morning on the wedding:

Friday october 19th:

15.30PM,Civil Wedding ceremony at the Town Hall of Luxembourg

19.30PM:Gala Dinner at the Grand Ducal Palace

Saturday october 20th:

11.00AM Religious wedding ceremony

13.00PM: Reception at the Palace.

So, what do you all think it will be?
Hats for the civil wedding, tiara's for the gala dinner on Friday. Hats again on Saturday.

I hope that tv in Sweden will send the wedding cermony, as they have shown several of the royal weddings in Europe before. I do hope that I don't work that Friday and Saturday, as I missed the religious cermony in Monaco because of work.

All I can say is: I can't wait!!! I'm so excited for this day to come!

They are my favorite royal couple too. Because there is so much Eurozone misery at present, I am praying that there is enough peace for their marriage to take place in October. I wish they would marry civilly now, so that they could be together during the storms blowing through Europe economically, at present. This will be a bad summer and they should be together. Just my weird opinion, much as I too look forward to a cathedral wedding of this lovely pair. God bless Guillome and Stephanie.

Hopefully it will be a sunny and mild Autumn this year for Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding - I'm sure Luxembourg will look as beautiful and the couple. And I am sure there will be a huge turn out of senior royals and other guests from all over the world to attend this wedding.

I have mixed feelings about the Cambridges in attendance at this wedding...on the one hand it will virtually assure that there is heightened international media focus on Luxembourg, which means there is a chance some cable channel here in the US will run live coverage.:p

BUT...I will be very upset if the media focus on the Cambridges overshadows the bridal couple and the other guests.
Well, sooner or later the Cambridges will have to start taking part in such royal duties as attending different royal occations and a wedding would be a good way to begin. It would be nice if they could accompany the Wessexes, as they have been at so many royal weddings in last decade or so and have probably made friends at those weddings.

So, what do you all think it will be?
Hats for the civil wedding, tiara's for the gala dinner on Friday. Hats again on Saturday.

I'm guessing that's how it will be. I wonder why they don't have the Civil Ceremony in the morning and then a reception around lunchtime and then have an afternoon church ceremony followed by the gala dinner so that we could have a tiara-filled wedding!

RoyalistRiley, I think the wedding celebrations are being scheduled this way so that by the early evening of Oct20th, the bride and groom will be well off to begin their honeymoon.

The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the itinerary was that Guillaume and Stephanie do not intend to spend their wedding night dancing until nearly 3am, as did Victoria and Daniel. ;)

I think it's going to be a very beautiful and exciting two days...I can't wait! :)

And I can't wait! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure, it just seems to have become a de facto tradition as no monarchs attended the Coronation of Elizabeth II or the enthronements of Beatrix or Carl XVI Gustav, for example.

As much as I am slightly in love with the Duchess of Cambridge :wub: I couldn't agree with you more in that if the Cambridges do go (unlikely but stranger things have happened) it will overshadow the rest of the event, which looks like it's going to be amazing! Guillaume and Stephanie are my new favourite couple and I hope the spotlight will be firmly on them too!

Also, do the rest of the European Royal Houses attend Luxembourg's weddings en mass as they seem to do for Scandinavia? I hope so!

I would have to agree here. I adore the Cambridges, but it would appear that wherever they are, there's a media frenzy and obsession with what Catherine is wearing (or not wearing, but should be wearing), and that distracts the attention from the event (even though the couple does everything to make sure attention is focused elsewhere [Catherine's recycling/modest clothing comes to mind here]). The bride and groom deserve to have all the attention lavished on them, since it's their day, and having the Cambridges there may make it a little difficult (though the presence will most likely gain some coverage for the event in countries like US).

Well, I can't see why it i all that bad that the Anglosaxon press will be focussing on the duchess instead of on the couple. I am sure that the Spanish press will pay attention to the princes of Asturias etc.

Having that said, I dont think it is likely they will come, the earl and countess of Wessex seem more appropriate, esp. since they actually seem to enjoy spending time with foreign royalty. I believe the Duchess of Cornwall never attended European royal events either, so it may be nice if she and the prince of Wales would attend.

Well, I can't see why it i all that bad that the Anglosaxon press will be focussing on the duchess instead of on the couple. I am sure that the Spanish press will pay attention to the princes of Asturias etc.

Having that said, I dont think it is likely they will come, the earl and countess of Wessex seem more appropriate, esp. since they actually seem to enjoy spending time with foreign royalty. I believe the Duchess of Cornwall never attended European royal events either, so it may be nice if she and the prince of Wales would attend.

I agree, it will be very interesting to see of C&C attend the wedding. Watching the interaction between Camilla and MT at the BP dinner in May, it seemed the women had good chemistry and clearly knew each other well. The Wessex's can go along if they like, but I very much doubt it that the Cambridge couple will attend.

I agree, it will be very interesting to see of C&C attend the wedding. Watching the interaction between Camilla and MT at the BP dinner in May, it seemed the women had good chemistry and clearly knew each other well. The Wessex's can go along if they like, but I very much doubt it that the Cambridge couple will attend.

You'd be surprised. You never know who might attend. I wouldn't discard William and Kate. When Henri and Maria Teresa were married, no less personage than Prince Phillip represented England at the wedding.

You'd be surprised. You never know who might attend. I wouldn't discard William and Kate. When Henri and Maria Teresa were married, no less personage than Prince Phillip represented England at the wedding.

Fair point, though I was only stating what I thought might be the likely.

I fully agree with you. It would be odd if Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, attended the wedding.

Principessa, the dress at the right in the Hello magazine link would look great on Stephanie, as she has a great figure, which you could see when she wore casual clothes to the Red Cross dog trials in Luxembourg. However, I think she will wear a more modest dress because she will not flaunt her curves (which are better than the model's). The patterning in the skirt would be great, though. We will just have to wait and see.

I am interested that the insignia--coat of arms?--of Lux presented at the beginning of this thread has Ermine as one of its principal features. I believe I have read this was a feature of the Brittany royals when Brittany was a separate principality. I read quite a bit on the Stuart royal family of England and Scotland including their early ancestry in Brittany. Just speculating on backgrounds, not an expert on coats of arms.

Stephanie may wear a fur-trimmed gown (like but not exactly like ermine), as Maria Teresa did for her wedding to Grand Duke Henri.

Last edited:
I am interested that the insignia--coat of arms?--of Lux presented at the beginning of this thread has Ermine as one of its principal features. I believe I have read this was a feature of the Brittany royals when Brittany was a separate principality. I read quite a bit on the Stuart royal family of England and Scotland including their early ancestry in Brittany. Just speculating on backgrounds, not an expert on coats of arms.
There is a Ermine background in most, if not all, royal coat of arms, as ermine have been seen as a sign of royalty for a long time.

it's more like Grace and Rainier wedding, civil wedding then gala, then the next morning the service and reception then they escape to their yacht =D

Exactly.

William and Kate and Victoria and Daniel danced far into the night on the day they were married, but I think the Luxembourg Court has planned Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding a little differently.

The late night revelry will take place on the eve of the wedding so that the Royal newlyweds can leave for their honeymoon in the early evening of their wedding day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom