Gender, name, and godparent guesses for Guillaume and Stephanie’s first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Guillaume and Stéphanie's first baby!

• Boy

Votes: 38 55.9%
  • Girl

Votes: 25 36.8%
  • Twins - Boy/Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Boy/Girl

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Twins - Girl/Girl

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I hope you prove to be right! Although neither of Henri's children who have had children of their own have followed the tradition (ETA: Noah's name included Guillaume, but as he was a second child it is unclear if tradition played a role), the heir might be more interested in his family genealogy.

Its not a matter of not caring about the family tree. As their children are not the direct heirs, Guillaume's siblings have a bit more freedom to choose the names of their kids. And even then they have followed some family traditions.

Louis' sons were not princes until several years after birth. Louis had a lot of freedom in what he wanted to name them. But he followed a common tradition of sharing a name with his godfather. Alexandra and Felix were the only ones in the recent adult generation who didn't.

-Gabriel has Ronny for his godfather Ronny Anthony
-Noah has Guillaume for his godfather HGD Guillaume
-Louis has Xavier for his godfather Xavier Sans
-Guillaume shares his first name with his godfather/Uncle Prince Guillaume
-Sebastian shares his first name with his godfather/brother Guillaume
-Jean had Benoit for Pope Benedict his godfather
-Henri has Albert for King Albert II of Belgium his godfather
-Prince Jean has Felix for his godfather/grandfather Prince Felix
-Marie Astrid is named for both her godparents, having both Leopoldine for King Leopold III and Charlotte (both also her grandparents)

Amalia and Liam have the names of their grandparents as a middle names which is a pretty good nod to the family.

I think you will be pleased and we will get a pretty traditional name for the future grand duke or duchess.

It would be lovely if they were also traditional enough to revive the "tradition" (if two grand dukes can be described as that) of reusing a name from the medieval lords who reigned in Luxembourg, at least if the child is a boy (as I am predicting ;)).

I do hope so but somehow if they deviate from the tradition, I would guess they'd do so if they have a girl - less likely for a boy. Guillaume after all is also a first name that has been used both for Guillaume himself and for his uncle (so that name is more prominently part of the family traditions), while no recent woman in the family has had Wilhelmine as her first name.

I wonder if the baby will have Marc d’Aviano included in its name? More common among the Austrian Arch Dukes but Prince Jean used it for each of his sons.

From the medieval lords who ruled Luxembourg from the House of Luxembourg there were two Counts of Luxembourg named Conrad. Thus Conrad could be used as a son.

I'm hoping for Giselbert. :eek:

I wonder if the baby will have Marc d’Aviano included in its name? More common among the Austrian Arch Dukes but Prince Jean used it for each of his sons.

I love Marc d'Aviano!:flowers:

Beyond cute!

Giselbert Albert Jean Guillaume
Giselbertina Marie Alix Stephanie

twins - Bertie and Gizy hahaha ..
Once upon a time Giselbert must have been commonly used. I wonder which century?

After search:
Gisilbert is an ancient Germanic name from which comes Gilbert (about 1200 AD) - meaning bright pledge.

Yes, and Count Giselbert ruled Luxembourg from 1047 to 1059. It's time for another Giselbert. [emoji3526]

Guillaume / Guillemine (Wilhelm / Wilhelmina) is traditional name for the Nassaus. And Marie is the traditional name for boys and girls.

Jean Benoît GUILLAUME MARIE Robert Louis Antoine Adolphe Marc d'Aviano de Nassau (great-grandfather of the baby)

Henri Albert Gabriel Félix MARIE GUILLAUME de Nassau (grandfather of the baby)

MARIE Astrid Lilian Charlotte Leopoldine GUILLEMINE Ingeborg Antoinette Elisabeth Anna Alberta de Nassau (great-aunt of the baby)

Jean Felix MARIE GUILLAUME de Nassau (great-uncle of the baby)

GUILLAUME MARIE Louis Christian de Nassau (great-uncle of the baby)

GUILLAUME Jean Joseph MARIE de Nassau (father of the baby)

Félix Léopold MARIE GUILLAUME de Nassau (uncle of the baby)

Louis Xavier MARIE GUILLAUME de Nassau (uncle of the baby)

Alexandra Joséphine Teresa Charlotte MARIE GUILLEMINE de Nassau (aunt of the baby)

Sébastien Henri MARIE GUILLAUME de Nassau (uncle of the Baby)

Last edited:
Name guesses

Female: Alix Charlotte Marie
Male: Felix Guillaume Charles

Godparent guesses

Either the present King and Queen of Belgium or the present King and Queen of Spain

I really like Charlotte-Alix for a princess. I also love the name "Jacqueline" and since Jacqueline Countess of Hainaut is the foundress of the House of Lannoy it would be awesome for the future Grand Duchess to bear the name of her maternal ancestor.

But i don't think it will happen.:ermm:

I would be thrilled with "Benoit" for a boy, or "Marc" since it is one of the names of the late Grand Duke Jean. But again..I won't get my hopes up.

Prince Jean-Philippe would be perfect.;)

Last edited:
I really like Charlotte-Alix for a princess. I also love the name "Jacqueline" and since Jacqueline Countess of Hainaut is the foundress of the House of Lannoy it would be awesome for the future Grand Duchess to bear the name of her maternal ancestor.

But i don't think it will happen.:ermm:

I would be thrilled Duc's suggestion of "Benoit" for a boy, or "Marc" since it is one of the names of the late Grand Duke Jean. But again..I won't get my hopes up.

Prince Jean-Philippe would be perfect.;)

It wouldn't be Marc though. It would be Marc d'Aviano. The tradition within the family is to use the full name. The sons given it have been said to be born under his protection.

Jacqueline is beautiful. How are the de Lannoys related to her may I ask? Jacqueline never had any children, and she had no siblings so the family wasn't descended from one of them. I am a history buff so sorry just keen to know the connection between them.

I have a feeling we will see a little boy.

:previous: The House of Lannoy is descended from the Counts of Hainaut, according to Wiki. I can't post the link from my phone unfortunately... but it's there.

I think i mispoke by calling Jacqueline the actual founder of the House of Lannoy but she is definitely in Stephanie's family tree. She was a fascinating woman. ( Jacqueline of Hainaut) There was a Jacqueline de Lannoy in the 16th century as well.

I also think Stephanie's child is a boy.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be Marc though. It would be Marc d'Aviano. The tradition within the family is to use the full name. The sons given it have been said to be born under his protection.

Jacqueline is beautiful. How are the de Lannoys related to her may I ask? Jacqueline never had any children, and she had no siblings so the family wasn't descended from one of them. I am a history buff so sorry just keen to know the connection between them.

I have a feeling we will see a little boy.

None of the children of the late Grand-Duke Jean neither the children of Grand-Duke Henri have the Saint Marc(o) d'Aviano amongst their names. That tradition is more in the House of Habsburg.

THE constante is the referring to the Virgin for both genders as well the name Guillaume / Guillemine (Wilhelm / Wilhelmina) : all children of the late Grand-Duke Jean and and all children of Grand-Duke Henri have these two names.

Last edited:
None of the children of the late Grand-Duke Jean neither the children of Grand-Duke Henri have the Saint Marc(o) d'Aviano amongst their names. That tradition is more in the House of Habsburg.

THE constante is the referring to the Virgin for both genders as well the name Guillaume / Guillemine (Wilhelm / Wilhelmina) : all children of the late Grand-Duke Jean and and all children of Grand-Duke Henri have these two names.

No one is arguing that. We read your post right up the page.

I was simply responding to a post that they could use the name Marc for the baby. And that if they did, it would be Marc d'aviano, and not simply Marc.

Marc (or Marc d'aviano) being suggested as a nod to Jean. Along with Benoit.

My prediction.
Boy:
Jean. Other names Henri Philippe Guillaume Marie.
Girl:
Charlotte. Other names Alix Stéphanie Marie Thérèse.

I expect highly traditional names, given the couple, the family, the fact that this child is in the direct line of succession, and the unlikelihood that the couple will have a large family, meaning that they need to pack the family names in a.s.a.p.

The 75th anniversary of VE day creates an association back to GD Charlotte & GD Jean, and we are also in the period around the one-year anniversary of GD Jean's death. "Marie" is a shoe-in irrespective of the child's gender, I'd say, and I'd expect one name from Stéphanie's side of the family (Philippe or Alix) to be included.

I'm going to make a new prediction.

Boy: Jean Félix Guillaume Marie

Girl: Alix Guillermine Alexandra Marie

If it’s a girl it will be named Alix-Marie or Marie-Alix.

Boy: Jean Henri Guillaume Marie.

I would very much like a princess Alix. Alas, HGD has already two nieces named Alix. A third Lannoy's granddaughter named Alix would be a little too much. That being said, I don't have a single idea for the baby name.

Whether true or not, it feels like there are already too many Royal Charlotte's on the scene in Europe...but I am partial to Charlotte-Alix for a princess. (It rolls off the tongue easier than Alix-Charlotte) ;)

i think we can count with alix being in the name if it is a girl and philippe being in the name if it is a boy. and of course the customary marie and guillaume or guillemine.

i somehow also expect a nod to GD josephine charlotte and GD jean.

given how many names the luxembourg GDF tend to have i don't think it will be difficult to have all these in a name.

My prediction.
Boy:
Girl:

I expect highly traditional names, given the couple, the family, the fact that this child is in the direct line of succession, and the unlikelihood that the couple will have a large family, meaning that they need to pack the family names in a.s.a.p.

The 75th anniversary of VE day creates an association back to GD Charlotte & GD Jean, and we are also in the period around the one-year anniversary of GD Jean's death. "Marie" is a shoe-in irrespective of the child's gender, I'd say, and I'd expect one name from Stéphanie's side of the family (Philippe or Alix) to be included.

I agree that they will probably not have a large family but I do hope they will at least have a second child if Stephanie's health permits and if it is what they both want. There is sufficient time for that to happen before her 40th birthday in 2024.;)

I agree that they will probably not have a large family but I do hope they will at least have a second child if Stephanie's health permits and if it is what they both want. There is sufficient time for that to happen before her 40th birthday in 2024.;)
There is little doubt in my mind that they would want more children given that they expressed the desire for a large family (but fewer than 8 children) even before they were married. So, I hope they will indeed may at a sibling at one point although after this many years, they surely are happy that they are about to welcome their firstborn.

For a boy: Prince Philippe Jean Henri Marie Guillaume

for a girl: Princess Marie-Alix Charlotte Teresa Guillemine

Guillaume / Guillemine (Wilhelm / Wilhelmina) is traditional name for the Nassaus. And Marie is the traditional name for boys and girls.

Up to the present, I think the Luxembourg Nassaus have used "Wilhelmine" rather than "Guillemine" as the French feminine variant (example).

Its not a matter of not caring about the family tree. As their children are not the direct heirs, Guillaume's siblings have a bit more freedom to choose the names of their kids. And even then they have followed some family traditions.

[...]

I think you will be pleased and we will get a pretty traditional name for the future grand duke or duchess.

You have a valid point. It does appear that Prince Guillaume (brother of the Grand Duke) was alone among the younger sons in following the Guillaume/Wilhelmine tradition. Apparently the family feels that the cadet branches have more flexibility.
I hope your prediction will bear out for the name of the heir.

It would be lovely if they were also traditional enough to revive the "tradition" (if two grand dukes can be described as that) of reusing a name from the medieval lords who reigned in Luxembourg, at least if the child is a boy (as I am predicting ;)).

From the medieval lords who ruled Luxembourg from the House of Luxembourg there were two Counts of Luxembourg named Conrad. Thus Conrad could be used as a son.

Beyond cute!

Giselbert Albert Jean Guillaume
Giselbertina Marie Alix Stephanie

twins - Bertie and Gizy hahaha ..
Once upon a time Giselbert must have been commonly used. I wonder which century?

After search:
Gisilbert is an ancient Germanic name from which comes Gilbert (about 1200 AD) - meaning bright pledge.

Yes, and Count Giselbert ruled Luxembourg from 1047 to 1059. It's time for another Giselbert. [emoji3526]

You all have near as read my mind ... ;) :D

My prediction.
Boy:
Girl:

While I agree with the perception that this couple is highly traditional, it gives me pause that the Hereditary Grand Duchess said several months ago that she and her husband had not yet settled on a name (in spite of knowing the sex) as there was no obvious choice. If the parents were committed to naming the heir after a recent predecessor, I would have expected Jean and Charlotte to be sufficiently obvious.

She may even have her last child over 40, why not?:flowers:

Interesting about the names Marc d'Aviano and Wilhelmine.
Hopefully a safe delivery soon.

Last guesses:

Astrid Marie Alix Wilhelmine
Charlotte Helene Stephanie Alexandra
Francesca Claudine Marie Alix

Charles Henri Guillaume Marc d'Aviano
Felix Philippe Marc d'Aviano Guillaume
Jorge Benoit Alexander Philippe

Godparents - an Aunt or Uncle, a Belgian or Norwegian royal or Pope Francis.

Back
Top Bottom