Engagement of HGD Guillaume & Countess Stéphanie de Lannoy: April 26, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stephanievl
Thank you!
Lovely video, beautiful music... But seemed to me, that Stephanie little bit haughty.

It is so wonderful to see newly engaged couples because they are so much in love and show it. I hope Stephanie will grow into her role and become comfortable of being in the spotlight every minute of her life.

Is there any information on the property where the engagement photos and interview were done? My cursory search for info on Luxembourg properties is coming up empty. :flowers:

Love all the video clips. Thanks stephanievl!

Is there any information on the property where the engagement photos and interview were done? My cursory search for info on Luxembourg properties is coming up empty. :flowers:

I believe Chateau de Berg. That's the residential home of the GDF. That's where Guillaume and Stephanie will live after they marry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You for sharing, I understand only the small French part of speaking. Both of them are lovely, but quite reserved, it gave me the impression ( I hope wrong) that it's a nice but arranged match, maybe Stephanie comes from nobility and her manner differs from that of the other royal brides. Though I think they really complement each other. Stephanie is looking very lovely indeed, younger than she really is, with no shadow of vulgarity.It was very gentle of Felix to take the umbrella...But I 've observed that Guillaume's younger siblings were absent.

It is so wonderful to see newly engaged couples because they are so much in love and show it. I hope Stephanie will grow into her role and become comfortable of being in the spotlight every minute of her life.

Does the Grand Ducal family get much attention in their domestic press other than at official engagements? They certainly don't in the international press unless attending a foreign royal wedding or similar event.

Last edited:
Thank You for sharing, I understand only the small French part of speaking. Both of them are lovely, but quite reserved, it gave me the impression ( I hope wrong) that it's a nice but arranged match, maybe Stephanie comes from nobility and her manner differs from that of the other royal brides. Though I think they really complement each other. Stephanie is looking very lovely indeed, younger than she really is, with no shadow of vulgarity.It was very gentle of Felix to take the umbrella...But I 've observed that Guillaume's younger siblings were absent.

According to Guillaume, for him, it was "love at first sight". :flowers:

‘Love at first sight’ for Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume - National Royal News | Examiner.com

She looked so much better during the interviews than she did yesterday in the "official" photographs. She also has a very mature bearing about her -- perhaps that's because her siblings are older and her parents are from another generation entirely! Her father is the same age as Grand Duke Jean! I also like the ring ... quite pretty without being obnoxious.

Looking forward to the wedding!

Does the Grand Ducal family get much attention in their domestic press other than at official engagements? They certainly don't in the international press unless attending a foreign royal wedidng or similar event.

No, Luxembourgers are very respectful of the grand ducal family and say that they have a right to privacy just like everybody else, most of them know more than it is written in the press as it is a small country.

I really adore that she is such a natural beauty. I like that she has her own personal look and that she doesn't look like a supermodel but like a very beautiful women.

stephanievl
Thank you!
Lovely video, beautiful music... But seemed to me, that Stephanie little bit haughty.

I think the same :/

Maybe you're right that her manner differs from other royal royal brides, because they come from the nobility. I got the impression that she hasn't something ordinary like CP Mary, Mette-Marit when they were a bride.

In this video I can see that Guillaume is absolutely in love and he wants to suppport her in everything and to makes she felt good in that the interest of the press, photographers, people :) It's lovely :)

I really adore that she is such a natural beauty. I like that she has her own personal look and that she doesn't look like a supermodel but like a very beautiful women.

Yes she has, but I do not like her red clothes from photo session, because I think that red dress does not fit into fabric of this jacket but maybe later her own style will be better ;)

Last edited:
Let's wait till we start calling her haughty till we know her better. I know that very often people mistake nervousness for haughtyness. The whole press attention is new to her. Even if she's from the nobility, that doesn't mean that she's used to all this official stuff. To me she looks like a person who doesn't want to make mistakes, which of course prevents her from giving a relaxed impression. Let's give her a chance to settle in and learn all the things she needs to learn.

Let's wait till we start calling her haughty till we know her better. I know that very often people mistake nervousness for haughtyness. The whole press attention is new to her. Even if she's from the nobility, that doesn't mean that she's used to all this official stuff. To me she looks like a person who doesn't want to make mistakes, which of course prevents her from giving a relaxed impression. Let's give her a chance to settle in and learn all the things she needs to learn.

This was my first impression why I wrote "haugthy" :)

The ring is definitely a diamond. Its an emerald cut with a pave setting.

Yes, I agree. On closer examination, it appears to be an emerald-cut diamond in a pav
é setting. In the first photo I saw it looked opalescent; in the second set it looked like it might be a yellow or other fancy diamond (RTL.lu - Lifestyle Fotoen), and then finally it looks like a clear diamond. It changes a great deal depending on the light, which makes it an interesting piece.

On another note, Grand Duchess Mar
ía Teresa looks beautiful in all of these photos. I am especially fond of the apricot suit she was wearing in the photographs with Stéphanie's parents. Lovely.

Last edited:
They look very happy together, Guillaume looked very proud and happy and Stéphanie, obviously, looked quite nervous but still happy. She isn't an obvious kind of beauty but I do think she's beautiful. The ring is also stunning.

stephanievl
Thank you!

i don't mean to judge, but how is it possible to tell from a 5 minute interview?

i guess we can forge an opinion when she gets more involved in the life of the GD family.

she came across to me as a mature, well-mannered and interesting lady. it's nice to see them together.

I agree with you, Tilia. Whereas to others Stéphanie may have appeared haughty in the video, to me she sounded intelligent, substantial, and certainly like someone who is trying to do her best and not to make mistakes. In the photographs her parents look like serious, reserved people; also, the fact that she comes from the old nobility of Belgium does not mean that she is used to public scrutiny. Quite the contrary. The higher ranks of the Belgian nobility are known for not often "mixing" with non-nobles in social settings - never mind the press - although of course this is changing. In short, dealing with media attention must be very new to her.

She was of course a bit nervous here, which is natural and even charming under the circumstances. And so was Guillaume! I thought that I could sense his anxiety in how much he was stroking Stéphanie's back while she was speaking to the press.

The only false note, to my eye, was in the look that she gave him at the very end of the video, after he lovingly brushed off a speck of something above her cheek. Was there a bit of contempt in her look? I hope not. But this is such a fleeting impression, and it is entirely unwarranted to draw conclusions from it. They appear to be delighted, well matched in education and religious values, and I wish them a very long and happy life together.

Last edited:
I speak french fluently and I didn't detect a single bit of haughtyness in the interview.She seemed quite lovely.

Congratulations:flowers:!

Stéphanie is from Belgian Nobility, house of De Lannoy had connections with Luxemburgisch Nassau house since 1415, to whom it belongs since 1551.

Biography of Stéphanie:
Stéphanie de Lannoy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Infos about De Lannoy house:
Maison de Lannoy - Wikipédia

Wow! I'm impressed. According to Wikipedia the Lannoy family dates back to the 8th century! That's what I call an old and illustrious family! I mean, when you think of someone like the late Princess Diana Spencer, her grand family became ennobled in 1603: that's recent by comparison! Guillaume really chose an impeccable blue blood of exquisite lineage.

Wow! I'm impressed. According to Wikipedia the Lannoy family dates back to the 8th century! That's what I call an old and illustrious family! I mean, when you think of someone like the late Princess Diana Spencer, her grand family became ennobled in 1603: that's recent by comparison! Guillaume really chose an impeccable blue blood of exquisite lineage.

The Nassau's themselves can be traced back to the 11th century, so that's a win for Stephanie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Nassau ;)

I am reading a biography of William of Orange at the moment and also in his times the Lannoy family seems to belong to the top 10 of the Burgundian Netherlands, on the same level as the Ligne's, Croy's, Lalaings, Nassaus, Arenbergs, Egmonts, Barleymonts, Horne's etc. The family also supplied several stadholders:

Hugo van Lannoy, Stadholder of Holland & Zeeland 1433-1440.
Jan III van Lannoy, stadholder of Holland & Zeeland 1448-1462.
Ferdinand van Lannoy, stadholder of Atresia 1571-1578

Last edited:
Stephane does not seem to be pretentiuos nor haughty I daresay since she is the last child for her parents she might be a little spoiled. She is quite natural and confident. I trust that she would be an asset to her new country after her marriage.

Thanks Marengo.

I confess I thought the people seated on the Grand Dukes left were infact her grandparents...

Last edited:
Thanks Marengo.

I confess I thought the people seated on the Grand Dukes left were infact her grandparents...

Well, she is the last of 8 children, her eldest brother Jehan being 18 years older than herself. Her parents married in 1965 the count was 62 and the countess 43 when Stephanie was born.

Last edited:
Not a beauty??!! Count me in as another who is baffled with that comment. She is tall, slim, blonde, with lovely skin and smile. She is obviously trying very hard with hairdo and clothes. Her french is impeccable and polite, she is obviousy very well educated. What a pleasure to see such a couple in love.
Her ring is elegant and confident, like she.

The Nassau's themselves can be traced back to the 11th century, so that's a win for Stephanie: House of Nassau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ;)

I am reading a biography of William of Orange at the moment and also in his times the Lannoy family seems to belong to the top 10 of the Burgundian Netherlands, on the same level as the Ligne's, Croy's, Lalaings, Nassaus, Arenbergs, Egmonts, Barleymonts, Horne's etc. The family also supplied several stadholders:

Hugo van Lannoy, Stadholder of Holland & Zeeland 1433-1440.
Jan III van Lannoy, stadholder of Holland & Zeeland 1448-1462.
Ferdinand van Lannoy, stadholder of Atresia 1571-1578

Fascinating information Marengo. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us! The Hapsburgs were also--I believe---a Burgundian family. Since her family dates back so far, does she have any relation to the Hapsburgs? Hard to believe that a family as illustrious as her's wouldn't. I know that her grandmother is a Princess of Ligne. How many other royals, kings, princes, etc.. does she have in her family? Isn't she also a descendant of William the Taciturn just like Guillaume is?

I believe Chateau de Berg. That's the residential home of the GDF. That's where Guillaume and Stephanie will live after they marry.

Are you sure that's where they will live? When Henri and Maria Teresa were a young crown prince couple they had their own home, as did Jean and Josephine-Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom